MO MO - 'Johnny Lee Mills' aka 'Steven L Johnson' & 'Randi Smith', 13, Maryland Heights, 21 Sep 1990

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you Beamie!

As far as the inmate from California, I really don't think the ages quite match up. I would like someone to prove me wrong though

I'm working on that inmate tip now. Will tell you when I get an answer

I'm talking to the chief of police now, he worked on Johnnys case in 1990. He said he's heard of Jefferey before, and he thinks he's already ruled out, but he's gonna double check with someone else. I'll keep you updated

This is probably a long shot too, but there is a John Lee Mills in the Sumpter Correctional Institute in Florida. I don't believe it's him because his eye and hair color are different, but he is the same age. Is it possible that the two were friends in 1990 and/or earlier, and the UID used his friend's name when he got picked up as a runaway? The one in Florida was convicted of vehicular manslaughter at the age of 25 (in 2002) when he caused an accident while driving drunk which resulted in someone's death.

"Send money to this inmate."

Yeah, I'll get right on that.

Anyways, If Jefferey isn't Johnny, where do we go from there? Is this a dead case? I mean, even if he is alive, he probably doesn't care that he's still reported missing. Or he could be deceased, and no one knew he used a fake name once (why would they know?)

Jefferey has been RULED OUT. This is directly from the chief of police. But it was a good lead

Has anyone looked into searching using his known aliases? Maybe one of those would match up..even though they are pretty vague and generic names. Worth a shot.
Charley Project profile lists them as: Steve Johnson, Stephen Johnson, Randy Smith

I've talked to Dawn at Doe Network. They've talked to LE and others, and Johnnys case is now closed. They've updated his information http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/111ummo.html

"Due to there being no way to establish his identity and no living relatives could be found, the investigating agency considers the case closed. "

Curious as to whether or not this should still even be on DN or Charley if the case is closed. It won't assuage any feelings we have about him, but if we have no one to contact, and nothing to match potentials to....

Information on Doe says what little info he gave indicated he had been on his own for a long time and "worked" the truck stops. With this in mind, the kid was probably a male prostitute. Because of the truck stop angle, theoretically he could be anywhere, dead OR alive. He could have asked for a ride to a different state. If he were killed by a customer, he could have been carted off and dumped elsewhere.

I've trolled The Doe Network for years whenever I got bored, but Johnny's case is one of the few that really stuck with me. It's been in my gut for years and it's agonizing to know that we'll never see any type of closure on this.

Curious as to whether or not this should still even be on DN or Charley if the case is closed. It won't assuage any feelings we have about him, but if we have no one to contact, and nothing to match potentials to....

Information on Doe says what little info he gave indicated he had been on his own for a long time and "worked" the truck stops. With this in mind, the kid was probably a male prostitute. Because of the truck stop angle, theoretically he could be anywhere, dead OR alive. He could have asked for a ride to a different state. If he were killed by a customer, he could have been carted off and dumped elsewhere.

I've trolled The Doe Network for years whenever I got bored, but Johnny's case is one of the few that really stuck with me. It's been in my gut for years and it's agonizing to know that we'll never see any type of closure on this.

I always felt the same way. Somebody was responsible for this boy and failed him.

The system failed him. In the early 90's there was a lot of that going around (see Elisa Izquierdo and Justina Morales of NYC around that time, among others...), which led to reforms and the current, tighter system we have today. Especially considering it was the south (no offense to anyone from there), but they may have just seen him as a throwaway kid, as was common for runaways during the 70's - 90's. It's only recently that we've started treating them more like victims rather than trouble.

If 'Johnny' WAS still alive, my bet is that he's either in prison or still a pro....that's not a life that you can get out of on your own, at least not easily.

Anyone know if it's possible to go through UID databases based on age? I feel like it couldn't hurt to try.

This is a long shot and may sound weird but he sort of reminds me of what I imagine my boyfriends boss may have looked like as a teen. I don't know know much of his history really but I do know he's from Hazelwood. He'd be the right age too. But the age progression doesn't fit that well. He has a prominent nose like Johnny did, though his is hooked. That's something people grow into though from what I know.

Sent from my hammer_S using Tapatalk

Interesting...Could you possibly find out more?
I am trying to, I asked my boyfriend. He said he sees the nose resemblance, but apparently his boss moved around a lot during his teen years and he's not sure of he was even still in Missouri at that age. Which sucks. Because if it were his boss the story would have had a happy ending.

Sent from my hammer_S using Tapatalk

Thanks for bumping ghostlNshell. Its one case that haunts/bothers me, and I don't know why it hasn't been solved. With more diligent effort by trained investigators/law enforcement, I believe it could be. Surely someone else would recognize this kid. I want to know who failed this boy and why and if someone needs to be held accountable. Perhaps a local newspaper in St. Louis/Maryland Heights could run a story? Or if they have already at some time, I would like to know.

Thanks for bumping ghostlNshell. Its one case that haunts/bothers me, and I don't know why it hasn't been solved. With more diligent effort by trained investigators/law enforcement, I believe it could be. Surely someone else would recognize this kid. I want to know who failed this boy and why and if someone needs to be held accountable. Perhaps a local newspaper in St. Louis/Maryland Heights could run a story? Or if they have already at some time, I would like to know.
I can send the story to KMOV (local St.Louis news) and see if they'll report on it. I've done it before, once for an unidentified deceased in St.Louis county that was found a long time ago (80's?) They didn't do a story on it though. I also sent in a story tip about the local Petland selling puppy mill dogs that were dying of parvo and they ran that story. Its worth a shot, ill let you know if they run the story

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Also I can totally understand why its not been solved since it's probably a very low priority case with almost nothing to go one if he wasn't reported missing.

If he is alive and well there is a decent chance he may still live locally. People tend to always come back to St.Louis in my experience. Many people never leave. Maybe all places are lile this, I dont know, but I do know people here tend to either stay here or somewhere close

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justicefornicky