MO MO - 'Johnny Lee Mills' aka 'Steven L Johnson' & 'Randi Smith', 13, Maryland Heights, 21 Sep 1990

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

''Johnny Lee Mills'' has been added to NamUs. He is listed as a missing person.

I was just coming to post this. Here's his photo:
Original

Should this thread be moved to the missing forums since he is listed as a missing person case now?

I'm glad they've reopened the investigation.
I hope some media pick it up and post his pictures around the area.
When I blew up his Namus pic, it looks like he has moles or freckles that haven't been mentioned.
They don't look like spots. jmo.
Screenshot 2020-02-23 at 20.49.21 copy2.png

Lightened version so we can see the outline of his features better:
Screenshot 2020-02-23 at 20.49.png

Last edited:
I'd be curious to see if anybody else thinks that this Doe, found in Newburyport, Massachusetts in 1992 could be a match for Johnny? Here are the similarities I found that make me think this could be a viable match:
- The nose in all of Johnny's pictures, including the new age progression matches the nose of the Doe, which is a very distinguishable nose
-The years--Johnny was last seen in 1990, and this Doe is speculated to have died from 1987-1991
-This Doe was thought to be a runaway because of the lack of dental care that he had and his impacted molar
-Johnny was last seen in Maryland, this Doe was found off of I-95 in Massachusetts, which isn't terribly far considering I-95 runs from Canada to Florida and does go through Maryland Heights, this is especially plausible because Johnny was thought to be "working the truck stops" that frequent I-95
-Height/weight, both the Doe and Johnny were shorter, at around 5'5. Judging by the 32x30 pant size on the Doe's jeans, he would have been a little on the chunky side which matches Johnny's height/weight ratio at 5'5-180 lbs
-And lastly, age. This Doe had "a dental age of no more than 12-13 years" according to a medical examiner associated with the Doe Network. If Johnny went missing in 1990 at 13 years old (he could have lied to make himself seem older as well) it could make sense that he is this Doe, who could have died in 1990-1991 at 12-14 years old.

These all seem like great indicators of a match, I would love to hear other opinions before I submit.
Thanks!

-Johnny was last seen in Maryland, this Doe was found off of I-95 in Massachusetts, which isn't terribly far considering I-95 runs from Canada to Florida and does go through

He was last seen in Maryland Heights, Missouri, not the state of Maryland.

This thread has been moved from 'The Unidentified' forum. Johnny's NamUs and Doe Network profiles are both listed as a MP case rather than an UID case, even though his true identity is unknown.

NamUs - #MP58895 Johnny Lee Mills
Circumstances of Disappearance - Johnny was last seen on 9/21/1990 in Maryland Heights, MO.

The Doe Network - 111DMMO - Johnny Lee Mills
Circumstances of Disappearance
Johnny Lee Mills was taken into police custody after being suspected of being a runaway. Initially placed in Youth Emergency Services in St. Louis, Missouri, he was transferred to a children's shelter on September 21, 1990, in Maryland Heights, Missouri. He said his name was Johnny Lee Mills. He also used the aliases of Steve Johnson and Randi Smith. He ran away from the shelter before his identity could be confirmed. All the information he provided turned out to be false and his true identity was never established.

Originally, he was listed as a missing person under the name Johnny Lee Mills. After this name proved to be false, he was removed from NCIC in 2008. Subsequently, the National Center For Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) closed his case.

There were theories regarding his being a victim of a serial killer who focused on young male prostitutes. It is claimed that there were several unidentified victims and two of them fit the description of "Johnny Lee Mills."

Recent discussions with the investigating agency indicate that this information regarding a serial killer is not correct as there was no serial killer of young boys in the area at the time "Johnny Lee Mills" appeared and disappeared. The case file has been lost, but it was recalled that "Johnny" was not forthcoming with information and indicated that he had been on his own for a long time and "worked" the truck stops.

I can't connect to the Doe Network, I keep getting a "no secure connection" error, and have for weeks now. What's going on over there?

I can't connect to the Doe Network, I keep getting a "no secure connection" error, and have for weeks now. What's going on over there?
Nothing is going on over there, I have no problems visiting.

Clear cache/ cookies, change browser or OS settings, uninstall antivirus. Unless you are a total pervert you don't need it.
I had three computers die on me until I realized it was the "anti-virus" programs killing them. Stopped with those, got an a-d----bl-ock-er instead, no probs for nine years.

But, start with browser check.

Sorry for o/t, also WS censured a word so that is why it looks weird.

Last edited:
Nothing is going on over there, I have no problems visiting.

Clear cache/ cookies, change browser or OS settings, uninstall antivirus. Unless you are a total pervert you don't need it.
I had three computers die on me until I realized it was the "anti-virus" programs killing them. Stopped with those, got an a-d----bl-ock-er instead, no probs for nine years.

But, start with browser check.

Sorry for o/t, also WS censured a word so that is why it looks weird.

I've already done all that, but keep getting this message:

An error occurred during a connection to www.doenetwork.org. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

Which browser do you use? I get this message using both Firefox and Safari.

I use Safari but checked Chrome and Firefox also, works on all.
If you google the error code you should get some tips.
Sorry that is happening, I know how annoying it can be.:(o_O

I've already done all that, but keep getting this message:

An error occurred during a connection to www.doenetwork.org. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

Which browser do you use? I get this message using both Firefox and Safari.

I'm having the same problem. That happens for me with Firefox (which I usually use) and Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. The only way I can really look at DoeNetwork now is by going to archive.org (Wayback Machine). It's annoying and out of the way, but most of the pages I've looked for have been archived there.

I also found this...
3 Ways to Fix the “SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP” Error

One of those suggestions is to update Firefox. I'm always ignoring a notification that an update is available. If that's SIMPLE, I'll do that and see if it works. I'll let you know.

UPDATING FIREFOX DID NOT HELP WITH DOENETWORK

I can access it using the Safari Browser.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justicefornicky
Back