Found Deceased MO - Nicole Shalee Mallatt, 36, Butler, Bates County, 26 Nov 2019 *endangered*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It will be interesting to know the cause of death and if she was murdered. I’m glad her family will be able to lay her to rest soon.

Snips:
Friday afternoon a forensic autopsy confirmed the remains belonged to Mallatt. Her body will now be sent to Washburn University in Topeka to be examined by a team of forensic anthropologists to determine her cause of death.

Mallatt’s family claimed at the time that she had been a victim of domestic violence at the hands of her boyfriend, but the sheriff says the boyfriend has been cooperating in the investigation.

Investigators have not officially named a suspect or announced any arrests in the case.

Last edited:
Human remains found in Bates County field identified as Nicole Mallatt

"It's a lot of emotions right now. You know, we're getting that closure that we have been wanting. We wanted to find her. We found her but now we're just wanting justice," said Sarah Messick, Mallatt's sister-in-law.

Authorities received a call around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon from someone who said they found an article of clothing in a bean field in the southwest area of the county – and that article of clothing potentially had human remains with it.

Authorities with the Bates County Sheriff’s Office and the Missouri State Highway Patrol’s Division of Drug and Crime Control responded to the area, and confirmed there were human remains present.

Last edited:
Remains found in Bates County this week identified as those of Nicole Mallatt

“We ask for prayers for the family and friends of Nicole Mallatt,” the sheriff’s office said. “Nicole leaves behind 4 children who lived with her in the home. This is continues to be an active and ongoing investigation and there is nothing further to be released at this point.”

Mallatt's mother had said they last spoke on Nov. 26, 2019. “She planned a big meal,” she said. "She called me getting recipes and was happy and was excited.”

KCTV5 News last spoke with her mother for a story on Dec. 7.

She had said, “I know she’s not alive. I just know she’s not. I can just feel it in my heart. I just keep asking her to take me to her. That’s all I want. I just want to go get her.”

Like @kelsie I went down the rabbit hole, then to AR's case archive (thank you for doing what you do). All I can say is I hope Nicole's children are able to go forward in their lives knowing their Mom loved them. Also that they can have a relationship with that side of the their family. What a $&5# show this has all been for them. Kids never ask for the consequences the adults in their lives bring to them :(

Now that Nicole's remains have been found, I hope whatever the truth is, comes out. Everyone in her live deserves that.

Holy Moly the comments....some written by family.

Bates County Sheriff's Office

Yikes, even the girlfriend and the guys mom. It is documented that he beat Nicole many times, and badly.
I have no good opinion of whodunit, but I do have a lot of questions after reading all those comments. If it was him, I hope they have a case.

Knox, they did several searches. They brought in several agencies also, searched in water, farmland.
12/2/19 Southwest Missouri Major Case Squad has been activated for a search. Nicole Shalee Mallatt was last seen 11/26/19.

Trouble is that "maybe" because Nicole sometimes left for a while, they didn't follow it as closely as they could have. But they never do.
There is only so much resources to be used without viable tips. Families always want more done, of course they do, and understandably.
The family held several searches after LE was done.

On SM, I have read a few things that make me want to know exactly where she was found. Southwestern Bates County. The nearest town is Hume.
News said soybean field. Was it planted this year? Was she found during harvest? Was all of her found or just "some" bones with a clothing article?

Maybe we will find out if/when there is an arrest but it seems doubtful if there is not enough evidence. Unless they can find COD, there won't be a case
against the boyfriend or someone else. "Just because he repeatedly beat her up, doesn't mean he killed her"-- defense will contend.

Thank you Amanda, I get it.

Seen that in other cases where somehow a missing person's value (for lack of a better adjective) is ascertained by certain aspects of their lives. It saddens me that Nicole may have been judged in that way. It's certainly not a stretch to think that during one of the beatings, things went too far.

Hopefully they will be able to determine a COD.

‘We’re not going to stop’: After Bates County woman’s remains found, family ready for answers | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports

Last Tuesday, a farmer found a pair of pants with human remains in a bean field in rural Bates County, according to the sheriff’s office. Authorities positively identified the remains as Mallatt’s on Friday.

“So many things go through your mind of was it this or that,” Sarah Messick said.

Messick said the last time she talked to Mallatt was two days before she disappeared. She said Mallatt asked if she could stay at their house for a few days.

“That’s what raised a red flag for us,” she said. “Like why do you need to get out? And I didn’t get it out of her.”

Messick said it could take anywhere from 14-18 weeks before forensic anthropologists determine how Mallatt died.

“We’re OK with waiting because we want them to take their time and look over her and make sure they don’t miss anything,” she said.

While the family waits, they’re hopeful a thorough investigation will give them the answers and closure they’ve waited nearly a year for.

“We’re not going to stop, just like we didn’t stop looking for her. We’re not going to stop fighting to figure out what happened and get justice,” Messick said.

Curious way to describe the remains. So does that mean there is not a whole body (sorry)? From the video, it looked like the remains were in water, not actually in the field? Doesn't look like LE is going to release any further information, so we wait. Results in 16-18 weeks.

Curious way to describe the remains. So does that mean there is not a whole body (sorry)? From the video, it looked like the remains were in water, not actually in the field? Doesn't look like LE is going to release any further information, so we wait. Results in 16-18 weeks.
I think that video in the water was from a previous search. imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hollyann
Back