MO - Sherrill Levitt, 47, Suzie Streeter, 19, & Stacy McCall, 18, Springfield, 7 June 1992 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stacy was supposed to sleep and Janelle Kirby's house that night or a hotel near the water park she planned to go to the next day. Teenagers change plans they also don't tell parents everything. What was Stacy going to wear? Both her and Suzie had cars and seemed prepared to stay overnight somewhere. If they anything in the cars that's weird. Most girls would have had a change of clothes, a bathing suit, makeup, and essensentials like deodorant, a razor and a toothbrush.
If Sherrill's purse had been in her room I would think the money was possibly tips from her job, or cash she was getting together to take to the bank or pay her bills. It could also have been graduation money that she planned to deposit somewhere the next day.
Are you thinking that they weren't really going to go to that water park? Some other place instead?

Are you thinking that they weren't really going to go to that water park? Some other place instead?

That might be possible but I more thinking that Stacy had clothes to change into. She wouldn't have been wearing a bathing suit that night. She would have most likely had something to change after the water park or in case plans changed. I don't get how her mom can know what she was wearing. She could have had spare clothes in her care for that night.
Saying she was out there in a shirt and underwear makes things sound serious which this case is, but it also implies she was abducted in that house. If that wasn't the case that changes the search area and even suspects.

Stacy was supposed to sleep and Janelle Kirby's house that night or a hotel near the water park she planned to go to the next day. Teenagers change plans they also don't tell parents everything. What was Stacy going to wear? Both her and Suzie had cars and seemed prepared to stay overnight somewhere. If they anything in the cars that's weird. Most girls would have had a change of clothes, a bathing suit, makeup, and essensentials like deodorant, a razor and a toothbrush.
If Sherrill's purse had been in her room I would think the money was possibly tips from her job, or cash she was getting together to take to the bank or pay her bills. It could also have been graduation money that she planned to deposit somewhere the next day.

I was thinking about the money and why she had that amount in her purse (I keep in mind that the three purses were lined up). I had read some time ago a discussion about why she had cash instead of debit/credit cards, and why some people believed that this money was earned by selling drugs and such. But my point is why 800/900 in her purse? And I ask myself: what would you do if someone tells you that your daughter is sick/injured/in some form of danger and that you have to go to pick her up? Would you grab your purse with 800 in case you need it?

1F47C38A-E2ED-4567-94B0-476EBB9AD0F0.jpeg
As I've already stated, I am new to the case and don't have the years of research and insight that many of you have. However, I was about Stacy and Suzie's age in 1992 so I do have personal experience as far as the culture of the time. In learning about this case, I just can't get past the actions of JK. In reading this thread, I'm glad to see that there are others who feel similarly.

We didn't have constant contact with each other back then like people do nowadays. It was impossible to have minute by minute accounts of everyone's lives, so we didn't expect that and we improvised in our own way. JK claims that Suzie and Stacy were last seen at her home at about 2:30am preparing to follow each other to Suzie's house to get some sleep; the plan was to meet back at JK's house in a few hours to then proceed to the water park. JK then woke up a few hours later and allegedly attempted to call Suzie's house several times but received no answer. Oddly, she never tries to call Stacy at her OWN home to see if she/they are there! Instead, she along with her boyfriend drives 15-20 minutes to Suzie's house at I believe around 11am-12noon. Barefoot. ???

She sees the girls' cars in the driveway along with Suzie's mother's car. She knocks on the door but nobody answers. Ok now, at this point, the NORMAL reaction would be for JK to assume that the girls got another ride to the water park and would meet up with her there at some point. Teenager's plans can change on a whim and a change of plans like this would not be out of the ordinary. Normally, JK would have then gone on to the water park with her boyfriend or other friends as planned, expecting to see the other girls there. Instead, she lets herself into the house uninvited! She then takes it upon herself to answer their phone when it rings! But doesn't use that phone to call Stacy's house to see if they are there, or if Stacy's mom knows where they are!

No, instead of assuming everything is fine and going to the waterpark, JK hangs out in the Springfield area throughout the early afternoon, then AGAIN drives BACK to Suzy's house! Why?!!! I can't stress enough how strange that is, when you add that SHE NEVER TRIES TO CONTACT STACY AT HER OWN HOME. It's hard for me not to wonder if she didn't call Stacy's home to look for her because she already knew she wasn't there.

If JK didn't think there was anything to worry about, why go BACK to the house later that afternoon? If she DID think there was something to worry about, why didn't she call Stacy's home? Instead she again walked through the house and even went through personal belongings in the house. Ridiculous!!! And I don't want to hear "oh, back in those days, it was normal..." NO it was NOT normal for an acquaintance to do something like that.

I'm not accusing JK of harming the 3 women, but I do have questions as to her bizarre actions. All imo.

I was thinking about the money and why she had that amount in her purse (I keep in mind that the three purses were lined up). I had read some time ago a discussion about why she had cash instead of debit/credit cards, and why some people believed that this money was earned by selling drugs and such. But my point is why 800/900 in her purse? And I ask myself: what would you do if someone tells you that your daughter is sick/injured/in some form of danger and that you have to go to pick her up? Would you grab your purse with 800 in case you need it?

You have to understand that in 1992, many people still paid for things with cash or by writing a check. Back then, if you had a credit card, you used that to make a large purchase, like a stereo or an oven. You didn't use a credit card for day to day things, you carried cash for that, or again, your checkbook. People in the service industry who received tips as part of their compensation, it was not unusual to have large amounts of cash on hand in your purse until you had a chance to run to the bank and deposit it. I was a waitress in nursing school around that time so I remember it well. There is nothing at all unusual about Sherrill having $800 in cash in her purse.

I think she paid bills with money orders at times because her ex might have messed up her credit and possibly could have gotten into bank accounts. When I was making money in cash I would deposit enough for rent and bills but I would use cash for day to day expenses. I also would deposit money all at once.
You make a good point about having money in her purse if she left the house thinking there was an emergency. If you thought your child was at a hospital bringing money for the bill or copay would make sense. Or if you believed they were in jail. Some people do keep cash in their house instead of opening credit cards or leaving money in a bank account you ex might be able to access. Cash is easier to deal with because you know what you have.

BBM. If I were LE and realized that I had been duped by a bunch of kids literally barely out of high school I would do everything in my power to suppress transparency and avoid public humiliation, or even possibly legal repercussions, too. A lot of lives were turned upside down over this case, and I'm suspicious that this case was used to go after suspects for other crimes (or personal vendettas) that they knew were likely not related to the 3MW at all. Kind of like in the Jayme Closs case, and even Delphi.
ITS BIGGER THEN THAT , JANELLE WAS ORDERED TO SEND SUZY HOME BUT AFTER THAT IT WAS SEX TRAFFICING ALL THE WAY , NOT A KIDS PROJECT

ITS BIGGER THEN THAT , JANELLE WAS ORDERED TO SEND SUZY HOME BUT AFTER THAT IT WAS SEX TRAFFICING ALL THE WAY , NOT A KIDS PROJECT

I'm trying to wrap my head around this theory. The sex traffickers abducted Suzie and Stacy to traffick them, and then abducted Suzie's mom to.... style their hair before servicing Johns? Why would they involve the mother? It would be an unnecessary risk and burden to involve a 3rd person, especially an adult. Especially when the perp/s had all night to abduct the girls without involving the mom. Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see how this theory would work.

That might be possible but I more thinking that Stacy had clothes to change into. She wouldn't have been wearing a bathing suit that night. She would have most likely had something to change after the water park or in case plans changed. I don't get how her mom can know what she was wearing. She could have had spare clothes in her care for that night.
Saying she was out there in a shirt and underwear makes things sound serious which this case is, but it also implies she was abducted in that house. If that wasn't the case that changes the search area and even suspects.
I have had the same concerns myself. Going on memory her friend Nigel said that Suzie always parked in the carport next to her bedroom.

If one looks at the driveway it would seem she had plenty of room to park fully on the pavement. But that could be explained when Suzie realized that she needed to allow Sheryl to exit the next morning. Ordinarily, I would think she would have driven in from the Glenstone side but she wanted to be sure that Stacy would have plenty of room to get on the driveway and well off Delmar. She was not used to coming in from the east side of the circular driveway and simply misjudged where she was parking.

If memory is accurate, the cars were observed to have moved that night. One could also take into account the van, if it was actually used, backed in next to the porch to load the women in from the side doors.

One of the early reports had the alleged van parked on the corner of Kentwood and Delmar. However the whole van issue came up with the supposed sighting of the van by the “porch lady.” The police seemed to put all their marbles in locating this purported van.

In fact one of the experienced officers was tasked with locating ALL of such vans in the United States. That in my opinion was a waste of manpower and would have had to account for the approximate 22,000 such vans, still roadworthy. Even had they found the exact van there is no guarantee any evidence could have found.

The great irony is that when I reported an identical van in October my report was greeted with great hostility by the lead officer. He went so far as to threaten my job. If that makes no sense, it didn’t to me either. It was so upsetting that I went to the Missouri State Highway Patrol that evening. The officer I spoke to didn’t understand it either. He went on to say that the SPD spurned the offer of help by the MSHP.
I agree, it was very abnormal behavior. You would have thought maybe she leaves a message on the door, "where are yall?" But not enter a house twice. And I was always of the belief that JK was close to Stacey, more so than Suzie. Couple this with Suzie having not lived in that house very long, would JK even know where she lived? Of course, some have speculated she was there to clean up possible clues left behind....

Maybe the reason why she was there was to clean up or stage the whole scene (placing purses, folding the shorts of her friend). What calls my attention was that the telephone rang exactly when she and Mike were there. Maybe the person who made that phone call knew they were there and was giving them some instuctions. I would like to know if the police could track the phone number and determine the time and the identity of the person who made that phone call.

BBM. Well, as they say, if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck.... ;)

A lot is made of the obscene phone calls, which also gets on my nerves. At that time, literally every household that had a relatively attractive female living there received these types of calls. Unless a threat was made, we rolled our eyes and hung up. And when call block became available, we used it. Same as when women today receive unwanted anonymous d*ck picks, they delete and block. What's more important to me is the timing of these calls. They just so happened when JK was there in the house. Which makes me wonder, was someone watching the house from a nearby residence or business and could see she was there? Or... was JK there to check on the house for someone, and they were calling to get a report from her? But she said that it was an obscene caller to cover? We don't know what was on the "strange" message that Stacy's mom heard and inadvertently deleted that day, but LE seems to think that it contained important clues. Could the message left have been some sort of message or threat towards JK? I think it's odd that STacy's mom "doesn't remember" the details of the call, but I'm pretty confident she does and has been told to keep quiet about it. IMO .

Or... was JK there to check on the house for someone, and they were calling to get a report from her?

This is exactly what I thought.

I think it's odd that STacy's mom "doesn't remember" the details of the call, but I'm pretty confident she does and has been told to keep quiet about it.

This is very odd as well. I don´t know what to think about this. I can´t find a reason why she would not reveal the content of the message. I´ve read in some articles that she mentions that the message was rude. "It was a very rude phone call. Lewd sexual content," said Janis. And in some other places she says she doesn´t remember. And at this point, I wonder if , whoever writes these things, gets confused with the phone call received by Janice or Janelle, or if someone is lying.

What do you think about the Git'N'Go sighting of Sherrill around 2:30/2:35 am?

Or... was JK there to check on the house for someone, and they were calling to get a report from her?

This is exactly what I thought.

I think it's odd that STacy's mom "doesn't remember" the details of the call, but I'm pretty confident she does and has been told to keep quiet about it.

This is very odd as well. I don´t know what to think about this. I can´t find a reason why she would not reveal the content of the message. I´ve read in some articles that she mentions that the message was rude. "It was a very rude phone call. Lewd sexual content," said Janis. And in some other places she says she doesn´t remember. And at this point, I wonder if , whoever writes these things, gets confused with the phone call received by Janice or Janelle, or if someone is lying.

What do you think about the Git'N'Go sighting of Sherrill around 2:30/2:35 am?

I completely agree with your thoughts, the phone call situation at Sherrill's home that day is very strange. Another aspect of it that I find strange is that on several occasions, Stacy's mother has said that she called Sherrill's home numerous times throughout the day and also left messages for Stacy to call her. Apparently none of those calls occurred while Janelle was in the house ???. And Janelle didn't hear any of the messages from Stacy's mother ???

As for the Git'N'Go sighting, I don't know what to think about that. Let's say that Suzie and Stacy left Janelle's house and found themselves in some kind of trouble and called Sherrill for help. What's strange is that the Git'N'Go clerk stated that the woman he thought was Sherrill was looking for her daughter and TWO friends. Not ONE friend, but TWO. If this is all true, what the clerk claims, who was the second friend?

The mother clearly said that all she had on was her panties and t-shirt, therefore she wouldn't have gone anywhere. That seems to imply she did not have a bag inside with her. Not disputing she went inside. But I have never heard or read she had a bag of clothes inside or outside, she brought a purse, period. Maybe her bag was in the car, maybe after taking off her makeup she realized she needed to brush her teeth. She goes outside to retrieve them. Doesn't come back in. Maybe that is when the globe is removed and bulb loosened. Suzie looks out blinds, where is she? Sherril goes outside with Suzie, now both are out of the house and vulnerable.

I like your theory (although I am one of those who believe the girls didn´t even made it to the house). That´s why it is important to ask (apparently) basic questions and challenge what has been declared.

Did they smoke in the house? Either way Sherrill leaving cigarettes in a purse that was by the front door when she possibly expected her daughter and friends to come over is weird. I've lived with chainsmokers and have always been surprised at their dedication when they have to go outside in the middle of winter to smoke. They always have cigarettes somewhere near them.

Maybe she had the cigarettes in her purse because she actually went out that night or was planning to do so (?).

As I've already stated, I am new to the case and don't have the years of research and insight that many of you have. However, I was about Stacy and Suzie's age in 1992 so I do have personal experience as far as the culture of the time. In learning about this case, I just can't get past the actions of JK. In reading this thread, I'm glad to see that there are others who feel similarly.

We didn't have constant contact with each other back then like people do nowadays. It was impossible to have minute by minute accounts of everyone's lives, so we didn't expect that and we improvised in our own way. JK claims that Suzie and Stacy were last seen at her home at about 2:30am preparing to follow each other to Suzie's house to get some sleep; the plan was to meet back at JK's house in a few hours to then proceed to the water park. JK then woke up a few hours later and allegedly attempted to call Suzie's house several times but received no answer. Oddly, she never tries to call Stacy at her OWN home to see if she/they are there! Instead, she along with her boyfriend drives 15-20 minutes to Suzie's house at I believe around 11am-12noon. Barefoot. ???

She sees the girls' cars in the driveway along with Suzie's mother's car. She knocks on the door but nobody answers. Ok now, at this point, the NORMAL reaction would be for JK to assume that the girls got another ride to the water park and would meet up with her there at some point. Teenager's plans can change on a whim and a change of plans like this would not be out of the ordinary. Normally, JK would have then gone on to the water park with her boyfriend or other friends as planned, expecting to see the other girls there. Instead, she lets herself into the house uninvited! She then takes it upon herself to answer their phone when it rings! But doesn't use that phone to call Stacy's house to see if they are there, or if Stacy's mom knows where they are!

No, instead of assuming everything is fine and going to the waterpark, JK hangs out in the Springfield area throughout the early afternoon, then AGAIN drives BACK to Suzy's house! Why?!!! I can't stress enough how strange that is, when you add that SHE NEVER TRIES TO CONTACT STACY AT HER OWN HOME. It's hard for me not to wonder if she didn't call Stacy's home to look for her because she already knew she wasn't there.

If JK didn't think there was anything to worry about, why go BACK to the house later that afternoon? If she DID think there was something to worry about, why didn't she call Stacy's home? Instead she again walked through the house and even went through personal belongings in the house. Ridiculous!!! And I don't want to hear "oh, back in those days, it was normal..." NO it was NOT normal for an acquaintance to do something like that.

I'm not accusing JK of harming the 3 women, but I do have questions as to her bizarre actions. All imo.

Was Janelle barefoot? I found a comment made by Asher after finding a footprint in the backyard: "Looks like whoever made this wasn´t wearing shoes at that time".

Was Janelle barefoot? I found a comment made by Asher after finding a footprint in the backyard: "Looks like whoever made this wasn´t wearing shoes at that time".

From what I understand, Janelle and Mike explained that the reason they swept up the glass off the front porch was because Janelle was barefoot and he didn't want her to cut her feet on the glass. That's one version of it anyways lol. And Janelle did admit that she walked around in the backyard at some point.

Regarding the convenience store sighting, I wish there was more information as to the familiarity that the clerk might have had with Sherrill and Suzie. The reports make it sound like Sherrill popped into the store quickly, asking if the clerk had seen Suzie with two other friends. Was this a convenience store that Sherrill and Suzie stopped into frequently, maybe to buy cigarettes? And that's how the clerk was familiar with them? Because I can't imagine that Sherrill would just go to a convenience store and expect a clerk to know who the hell she was talking about. Nothing in this case makes sense!

I am happy to see more people discussing Janelle and her part in all this.

The same Janelle who went though that home with zero permission from the home owners and looked around and answered the phone. Yet then went on national tv and couldn’t even call Suzie” by her given name. She was simply referred to as “other girls house” but of course it’s perfectly above board she went into that home that day :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're right, Bernadette did a lot of things wrong. She wasn't a savvy criminal. Despite that, she passed a friggin polygraph (!!!) and 6 months after the murder she was still walking free. Sorry but that is a LONG TIME for a high school sophomore to deceive LE! And remember, LE didn't didn't actually solve that case and arrest her. Bernadette turned herself in/confessed!

Now, imagine if she had been just a bit cleaner in her execution of the crime, avoided witnesses and was a bit savvier after the fact...

Passing a polygraph is not some impressive thing. They are unreliable, false positives and vice-versa happen all the time without the user doing anything, this is why they aren't allowed in court and why most countries don't use them in investigations at all anymore, American LE typically only use them today to see if the person is willing to take them which is a horrible practice since no one should, any half-decent lawyer will tell you to reject them whether you are guilty or not as they've played a major role in wrongful convictions. She was fortunate that this happened during a time polygraphs were still seen as accurate, that's all.

She didn't deceive LE she pretty much came out and admitted it was her in her second interview after they clearly described her once they became suspicious and then she went home and confessed to her mother, her arrest was clearly imminent at that point. This story is not about a teenager who deceived police and was close to getting away with it, it's one of countless stories advising against the use of polygraphs as her passing it is the reason it took them six months to look at her closer.

I can't imagine what you said because she was not at any time savvy, luck and timing bought her six extra months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garc