MO - Six Mohler family members for child sex crimes, Bates City 2009 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
About the jars... Writing down scary, emotional and frightening things is sometimes used as a theraputic treatment in mental health. Not necessarily to give to anyone, but in order to get the feelings identified and out. Some of these guys are pastors, counseling may have been part of their training, or they could have picked it up in seminars. The burying in a glass jar is unusual though.

Why would a predator care? If the child was having problems, it could have led to exposure. So if they noted problems, they would probably take the child to the pastor to be "counseled." During counseling the "pastor" could caution the child about talking about the problem, encourage the child to talk to him, encourage the child to "pray harder" (implication that if they are having problems, they aren't praying hard enough.) And a suggestion that if they wrote down their feelings. They could have also used the glass jar to encourage "magical thinking" that if they wrote it down and buried it, it would make it like it never happened. Which could have led to the girl having "buried the memory" in her subconcious.

I guess we will see what tomorrow will bring. This case is very disturbing.

If the allegations are true, than I believe there will be victims of at least some of the perps for the years 1995-2009. As LE said - pedos don't stop.

If the child had an abortion at the age of 11, there must be either a hospital or dr's record. I can not imagine taking an 11 year old to a fly by night doc with no problems. However, abortion was illegal in MO in the 1980s/90s, was it not? Wasn't MO one of the last states to allow abortions and isn't abortion still highly regulated, especially regarding minors in MO today?

I'm bothered by this case. I'm bothered, considerably, that so much info has been made public. It would only take any one of us sleuths about 5 minutes to identify all these kids?! So why did MO LE put so much info out there? Does MO have a sunshine law like FL and the press requested the info? I'm not sure that's what happened because the info came out PDQ, I'm thinking LE just put it out there for some reason.

I don't think the public needed all this info.......

Salem

I don't think we did either. My stomach definitely could have lived without the part about the dog.

That's a lot of allegations for a time period which passed a long time ago. I am going to wait and see if police finds any corroborating evidence before jumping to any conclusions. The story involves alleged glass jars, bodies and suppressed memories.
I am going to wait and see if police actually finds any glass jars or bodies.

I read the Probable Cause Statement and became sick to my stomach.:sick: How anyone could make up these details is beyond me. As a victim of molestation myself, the words and phrases used by the "alleged molesters" sounded so familiar, especially "oops...it slipped in". While my memories of molestation were not repressed, I thought they were well hidden. But now they have all come back and are overtaking all the good I have chosen to put in their place. As I am typing, tears are filling my eyes and rolling down my face. There will be no sleep tonight.
I am hoping and praying that these allegations are not true; however I fear that the incidents described in the statement did happen and more is yet to be disclosed.

This is absolutely sickening if true. I can't stomach this. Ugh. IF these allegations are true, these men deserve.. man, I can't even come up with the words to describe what kind of punishment they deserve!! :furious:

I'm not making light of what happened to the children, my heart aches for them, but, I really hope they get charged with animal cruelty as well. That poor dog.

Burrel Sr. did not have a biological daughter, however I am unsure if the woman he married after his first wife died had any of her own children.

I agree that a low bond often means there is a shaky case, but a low bond is also sometimes set because the judge feels there is not a great risk of the accused trying to run.

The cadaver dogs are involved because it was implied that the supposed abortion may have occured at home. Also, with accusations of child molestation and abortion, it would seem natural that the police would cover all their bases by checking for bodies as child molesters often escalate their crimes.

As to the question of where the "wimmen" were, from what I understand the children who are making the accusations have spent most of their lives with their mother. I am not saying I don't believe SOMETHING may have happened, but I also know from working with children that stories are often amplified over the years, and may become especially so if "helped" to remember by an adult. It would not be the first time a parent convinced their own children that something very innocent had been something heinous when trying to win favor in a custody battle.

I believe the cyber crime unit was involved because two of the brothers in this case worked with computers and information systems. It would only make sense that cyber crimes would investigate to see if there was anything suspicious in their work.

Part of the reason so many agencies were involved is that one brother lived in Iowa and the rest in different cities in Missouri; when you do an investigation across state lines and in multiple jurisdictions in a state a lot of people get involved.

The adult children making the accusations are estranged from most of their extended family, so that may explain why "friends of the family" have had such differing opinions on the matter.

The Community of Christ church (formerly Restored Later Day Saints) is no more a cult than any other major religion. They are not Mormon, and they do not believe in child marriages or multiple spouses.

In this case the family of the supposed victims and the family of the accused are one and the same and so the sorrow is doubled. Those of you calling the family vile and disgusting and so on and so forth, remember you're insulting the victims as well.

I hope the trial is fair, if it even makes it to a trial, and I would be the first to say that if it does turn out to be true, then justice should be swiftly and righteously served. It just seems to me a lot of this doesn't fit together. It sounds like much of the case hinges on "repressed memories".

I think you make excellent points (regarding the fact that they are adults and siblings) and you may be correct. But I would need to know a lot more about this family and their dynamics before I could define what I am reading as "very believable."

Of course, I'm one who operates from an innocent until proven guilty perspective until I am overwhelmed with evidence to the contrary.

I think you misunderstand me. I side with the victims in that I think the allegations must be investigated and if evidence supports their story, which I assume it does since the men have been charged, then the case should be brought to trial. If I have the facts straight, the woman first approached LE in August, which means they've been investigating for months. It does not seem, at least to me, that there was a rush to judgment.

Burrel Sr. did not have a biological daughter, however I am unsure if the woman he married after his first wife died had any of her own children.

I agree that a low bond often means there is a shaky case, but a low bond is also sometimes set because the judge feels there is not a great risk of the accused trying to run.

The cadaver dogs are involved because it was implied that the supposed abortion may have occured at home. Also, with accusations of child molestation and abortion, it would seem natural that the police would cover all their bases by checking for bodies as child molesters often escalate their crimes.

As to the question of where the "wimmen" were, from what I understand the children who are making the accusations have spent most of their lives with their mother. I am not saying I don't believe SOMETHING may have happened, but I also know from working with children that stories are often amplified over the years, and may become especially so if "helped" to remember by an adult. It would not be the first time a parent convinced their own children that something very innocent had been something heinous when trying to win favor in a custody battle.

I believe the cyber crime unit was involved because two of the brothers in this case worked with computers and information systems. It would only make sense that cyber crimes would investigate to see if there was anything suspicious in their work.

Part of the reason so many agencies were involved is that one brother lived in Iowa and the rest in different cities in Missouri; when you do an investigation across state lines and in multiple jurisdictions in a state a lot of people get involved.

The adult children making the accusations are estranged from most of their extended family, so that may explain why "friends of the family" have had such differing opinions on the matter.

The Community of Christ church (formerly Restored Later Day Saints) is no more a cult than any other major religion. They are not Mormon, and they do not believe in child marriages or multiple spouses.

In this case the family of the supposed victims and the family of the accused are one and the same and so the sorrow is doubled. Those of you calling the family vile and disgusting and so on and so forth, remember you're insulting the victims as well.

I hope the trial is fair, if it even makes it to a trial, and I would be the first to say that if it does turn out to be true, then justice should be swiftly and righteously served. It just seems to me a lot of this doesn't fit together. It sounds like much of the case hinges on "repressed memories".

Outstanding post, silverflower! Welcome again!

I think you misunderstand me. I side with the victims in that I think the allegations must be investigated and if evidence supports their story, which I assume it does since the men have been charged, then the case should be brought to trial. If I have the facts straight, the woman first approached LE in August, which means they've been investigating for months. It does not seem, at least to me, that there was a rush to judgment.

I don't think I misunderstood, gxm, but thanks for explaining more!

I snipped your post for space. Actually LE was very specific that they have information about a body and asked families of missing persons to come forward with their cases.

Mormons do not believe in child marriages or multiple spouses either.

Rest assured that the harsh words towards the family is towards the perps and not the victims.

And have you contacted Tricia, the owner of Websleuths? You must be verified and cleared by her before you can post as someone in the know. Please do this as I am very interested in your knowledge of the family and welcome further posts from you.

A father and his four adult sons charged with 14 counts of child sex charges will appear in Lafayette County Court Thursday morning.

On Wednesday, authorities searched a rural property in western Missouri for bodies and buried glass jars containing notes written more than 15 years ago by children who may have documented sexual abuse by five members of their own family.

More at link
http://www.kctv5.com/news/21590039/detail.html

Actually, I'm sitting on a fence. But jumping to conclusions could also apply to those who feel this isn't the real deal. It goes both ways.

Yes, it certainly does. As a feminist, I find it interesting that so often those who side with the (male) defendants introduce the person they believe is the real villian: the children's scheming, evil mother who just wants to hurt the menfolk. The mythical conniving ex-wife sure isn't innocent until proven guilty. Open minds, indeed.

I snipped your post for space. Actually LE was very specific that they have information about a body and asked families of missing persons to come forward with their cases.

Mormons do not believe in child marriages or multiple spouses either.

Rest assured that the harsh words towards the family is towards the perps and not the victims.

And have you contacted Tricia, the owner of Websleuths? You must be verified and cleared by her before you can post as someone in the know. Please do this as I am very interested in your knowledge of the family and welcome further posts from you.

I have contacted Tricia and am waiting for a reply. When I posted the first time I didn't realize I had to contact her first. I am trying not to put up too much more than what can be found on the web until I hear from her.

I didn't mean to imply Mormons believe in that, I should have broken up that statement in a better way. Perhaps what I should have put was they are not Mormons. The Community of Christ church does not believe in child marriages or multiple spouses, which is some of what I had thought was implied in earlier posts.

Yes, it certainly does. As a feminist, I find it interesting that so often those who side with the (male) defendants introduce the person they believe is the real villian: the children's scheming, evil mother who just wants to hurt the menfolk. The mythical conniving ex-wife sure isn't innocent until proven guilty. Open minds, indeed.
I dont see anyone here siding with the defendants. What they have been accused of is dispicible and if they are guilty of it they should pay a hefty price. However, we dont know yet that they are guilty and there are many examples of folks being wrongly accused and yes, sometimes that does include a disgruntled ex wife OR ex husband. Dont make my words to be something more than they are. Lets wait and see what unfolds, nothing wrong with discussing the matter in the meantime, all I asked is that we keep in mind that we really dont have much to go on at this point so it is hard to start calling for someone's head.

The one thing we DO have to go on is a poster right here at WS who knows the family and she insists we need to withhold judgement until we know the whole story:

Silverflower says:

I was a victim of rape while I was still a minor, and I have very little compassion for those who commit a sexual assault of any kind. I went through years of counseling before I could function fully again and have since spent many volunteer hours helping other victims of rape. That being said, none of you have the full story, no one besides the people making the accusations does yet. Talk about mob mentality. I have known this family for all of my 25 years of life. I grew up with both of David's daughters and also know Roland's daughters. The girl who wrote the review on the book on anorexia is David's daughter and if I remember correctly that book was a required assignment at school. No, none of the men involved were sex offenders. Ed (Burrel Jr) has had multiple marriages and the divorces were very messy. There are people in their family who would say that a vindictive ex wife may have been involved in the accusations. Graceland is a conservative University, and a good school. David, Michelle and their children were always very involved with the community and have all spent many volunteer hours making Lamoni a good place to live. It is unfair to call them vile beings before finding out more information. I guess I should thank you all for reminding me that you're no longer innocent until proven guilty, you're guilty until proven innocent and even if you are proven 100% to be innocent you're still treated as guilty by society when it comes to sex crimes.

I have contacted Tricia and am waiting for a reply. When I posted the first time I didn't realize I had to contact her first. I am trying not to put up too much more than what can be found on the web until I hear from her.

I didn't mean to imply Mormons believe in that, I should have broken up that statement in a better way. Perhaps what I should have put was they are not Mormons. The Community of Christ church does not believe in child marriages or multiple spouses, which is some of what I had thought was implied in earlier posts.

Silver, do you have a theory as to why these children would make these accusations, if it is true, as you say, that this family is above reproach?

Thanks for this!

I cannot say much more until I get permission from Tricia, but I hope she does write me back today so I can elaborate. I'm a huge fan of the Gorilla Girls, I'm hoping as a feminist you know who they are. (If you haven't heard of them, look them up, they're amazing.) I work in a field that is completely dominated by men and have struggled my way the entire time. I'm for equality of rights, but that means equal, not all women are innocent by virtue of being a woman. As I said, I hope Tricia replies to me soon so that you can know my reasoning and not assume I'm automatically siding with one party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member