MO - Six Mohler family members for child sex crimes, Bates City 2009 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No argument from me on that, all good points and certainly worth consideration in this matter.

Hopefully if this is all true then the other children will speak up also and those guilty will pay a hefty price, but if it turns out to NOT be true then conversely those making the accusations should in turn pay a hefty price.

IMO making false accusations of child sexual abuse should be as REPULSIVE to us as the acts themselves. Sadly I often do not see this sentiment and it disturbs me.

It's my opinion that false allegations are relatively rare when compared with the actual number of known child molestations. Of course false allegations are reprehensible....I don't believe anyone here feels differently.

I will continue to support the alleged victims.

I dont see anyone here siding with the defendants. What they have been accused of is dispicible and if they are guilty of it they should pay a hefty price. However, we dont know yet that they are guilty and there are many examples of folks being wrongly accused and yes, sometimes that does include a disgruntled ex wife OR ex husband. Dont make my words to be something more than they are. Lets wait and see what unfolds, nothing wrong with discussing the matter in the meantime, all I asked is that we keep in mind that we really dont have much to go on at this point so it is hard to start calling for someone's head.

The one thing we DO have to go on is a poster right here at WS who knows the family and she insists we need to withhold judgement until we know the whole story:

IMO, until it is brought in as evidence, the stereotype of a vindictive ex-wife diversionary tactic is just that, a stereotype and a diversion. I see it used again and again. Yes, there are some vindictive exes. But step back and consider that if it's true, as Silverflower says, that "Ed (Burrel Jr) has had multiple marriages and the divorces were very messy.…" then doesn't that tell you more about Jr. than the women he married, or was he just attracted to the messy, vindictive type? Unless he kept marrying (and divorcing) the same woman, there is one constant in the messy divorces: Ed (Burrel Jr.)

What's the evidence? Did police actually find a body or at least a glass jar?
The allegations are regarding something that supposedly happened a long time ago, and supposedly involve repressed memories. Repressed memories can be false, and without corroborative evidence (like if police actually finds a body in this case) it is not possible at this time to distinguish a false memory from a true memory.

"The mechanism(s) by which both of these phenomena happen are not well understood and, at this point it is impossible, without other corroborative evidence, to distinguish a true memory from a false one."
http://www.apa.org/topics/memories.html

Only problem...I don't believe she is the only one talking!

The very best corroborative evidence, other victims.

Well it is notable that the cause of action statements do not list the other siblings acusations. It could simply be a case where they have told investiators that they support their sister but have nothing further to say or add.

It would be very interesting to see their statements but I am not getting the feeling they have made actual accusations and it seems they are simply standing by their sister in this difficult time.

I may be wrong.

Really? What is alleged to have happened would have happened years ago. Why didn't anyone say anything up until now?
Police alleges there should be glass jars and bodies. I would consider that evidence, if police finds any.

What's the evidence? Did police actually find a body or at least a glass jar?
The allegations are regarding something that supposedly happened a long time ago, and supposedly involve repressed memories. Repressed memories can be false, and without corroborative evidence (like if police actually finds a body in this case) it is not possible at this time to distinguish a false memory from a true memory.

"The mechanism(s) by which both of these phenomena happen are not well understood and, at this point it is impossible, without other corroborative evidence, to distinguish a true memory from a false one."
http://www.apa.org/topics/memories.html

I could ask you the same thing. What's the evidence that the ex-wife is responsible for these allegations?

The evidence to the sexual abuse is a grown woman who made the complaint and signed a statement swearing to the truth. And apparently her five siblings back up her claims. Also, there appears to be child *advertiser censored* found on some of the men's computers. We have yet to see what further evidence the investigation will reveal.

Five charged in sex abuse case to be in court Thursday
Thursday, November 12, 2009 | 10:16 a.m. CST

LEXINGTON — Five family members charged in a child sex abuse case in western Missouri are scheduled to appear in court.

A father and his four adult sons are charged with several felonies, including forcible sodomy, rape with a child younger than 12 and use of a child in a sexual performance

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2009/11/12/five-charged-sex-abuse-case-be-court-thursday/

I could ask you the same thing. What's the evidence that the ex-wife is responsible for these allegations?

The evidence to the sexual abuse is a grown woman who made the complaint and signed a statement swearing to the truth. And apparently her five siblings back up her claims. Also, there appears to be child *advertiser censored* found on some of the men's computers. We have yet to see what further evidence the investigation will reveal.
What exactly does it have to do with my post? I have not mentioned an ex-wife at all.

Really? The woman is now 26, and the claim is that she doesn't remember any abuse after the age 11, so what is alleged to have happened would have happened 15 years ago. Why didn't anyone say anything up until now?
The woman alleges there should be glass jars and bodies. I would consider that evidence, if police finds any.

I understand your position. I have seen this scenario before and it is not always because of shenanigans. Sometimes it takes a life event to cause you to move forward...like the birth of your own child. Just as an example. In the case that I was on the fringes of, there were 5 other victims, but the statute of limitations had run out on their crimes. The only one who could move forward was the one who was under 26 years of age. They were allowed to testify in her case as witnesses to what she suffered, and the DA was able to bring in their crimes as an example of a pattern of behavior.

LE here has said they are expecting to file more charges. So, I assume they have additional proof of other crimes. It is unusual for LE to "over react" in this kind of manner....not impossible of course, but unusual. I would find it hard to believe that they grabbed these guys and hit the newswires this hard if they had nothing more substantial than repressed memories. JMO.

I have to ask, what benefit would the vindictive ex/mother derive from this information being released now? Wouldn't it have helped her case if it had come out years ago? And how does a mother convince her adult children to expose themselves to this kind of ridicule/speculation/derision just to grind a years-old-ax? More things that don't make sense for me...

I would also like to note that it is very possible for any of us to have child *advertiser censored* on our hard drives, these types of things can happen with spam mail/links and viruses and you wouldnt even know it.

Five charged in sex abuse case to be in court Thursday
Thursday, November 12, 2009 | 10:16 a.m. CST

LEXINGTON — Five family members charged in a child sex abuse case in western Missouri are scheduled to appear in court.

A father and his four adult sons are charged with several felonies, including forcible sodomy, rape with a child younger than 12 and use of a child in a sexual performance

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2009/11/12/five-charged-sex-abuse-case-be-court-thursday/http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2009/11/12/five-charged-sex-abuse-case-be-court-thursday/

"Sexual performance" almost always relates to *advertiser censored* of some kind, doesnt it??

Really? What is alleged to have happened would have happened years ago. Why didn't anyone say anything up until now?
The woman alleges there should be glass jars and bodies. I would consider that evidence, if police finds any.

The majority of victims never tell.

The bodies...I honestly hope they find none. Adult offenders use all sorts of threats to silence their victims. Oftentimes, they kill or torture family pets in front of victims to keep em quiet. Lots of times death threats are made.

Police alleges there should be glass jars and bodies. I would consider that evidence, if police finds any.

Apparently they did say something years ago and no one listened. If you read through comments on the local newspapers you'll see that while there are those who side with the men, there are also those who side with the victims and say the abuse was known. IMO, none of these comments should be considered evidence. I'm only pointing out that local sentiment is running both ways.

The majority of victims never tell.

The bodies...I honestly hope they find none. Adult offenders use all sorts of threats to silence their victims. Oftentimes, they kill or torture family pets in front of victims to keep em quiet. Lots of times death threats are made.

Well, if authorities plan to bring someone on trial for a horrible alleged crime, I really hope they have more evidence than "repressed memories."

I have two points. First, we have thirteen children. Only our eight youngest were singled out for rape by the neighbor and his adult friend. Two of our older girls, who were in their mid-teens at the time--were victims of attempted grooming but they didn't buy it. They turned away. They are also out-spoken young ladies with no special needs like their younger siblings. Every other victim of this pair also had special needs. When you look at the timeline in our case, the rapists started with the most vulnerable children and worked their way to the stronger ones. They were becoming bolder. Now, I am not in any way insinuating that these alleged victims were "weaker" or had special needs. I am stating that there are many factors and dynamics at play as to who is chosen as a victim and who is discarded as a possibility. I think age, personality, compliance--all play a role. The other victims can also be enablers. A sad and tragic fact, but so true.

I also wanted to agree with Texas Mist about how victims respond differently over the years to their abusers. My husband comes from a family where all four girls were raped from the age of 8 onward. Three girls came together and confronted their father in their twenties and put him "on notice". The fourth did not and stayed very dedicated to her Dad. Years later when it became clear that this monster (yes, my father-in-law) had abused two toddlers he was "helping" at church, the three women went to the police together and reported their Dad. My husband also gave a deposition. The fourth sister, again, did not. To this day she remains in complete denial about the abuse even though numerous siblings saw her being abused!! I have great compassion for her but it breaks my heart that she lives in a magical land. She'll never totally heal in that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avatour360