DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
5 family members charged in sex crimes case
ASSOCIATED PRESS
11/11/2009

Updated: 1:37 p.m.

LEXINGTON, Mo -- Five members of a family are charged in western Missouri with sex crimes against children. Authorities say a search of the men's land includes the possibility of a body or bodies.

The five men arrested Tuesday are charged with several felonies, including forcible sodomy, rape with a child less than 12 years old and use of a child in a sexual performance. Allegations include bestiality and forcing an 11-year-old to have an abortion.

Lafayette County Sheriff Kerrick Alumbaugh said Wednesday authorities believe there may be a body or bodies buried on land outside Bates City owned by the family.

The sheriff asked for the public's help in the investigation, saying that "there may be other victims out

Earlier story:

LEXINGTON, Mo. — Authorities were searching a rural property in western Missouri on Wednesday for glass jars with notes written by children who allegedly were abused by their relatives about 20 years ago.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol said crews were scouring several acres of land outside Bates City in connection with the arrest of five men on various charges of sexually abusing children.

Five members of the same family _ all men _ were arrested Tuesday. They face charges of crimes against children, using a child in a sexual performance, forcible sodomy and forcible rape, crimes that allegedly occurred from 1988 through 1995, according to court records.

Arrested were Burrell Edward Mohler Sr., 77, of Independence, and his sons, Burrell Edward Mohler Jr., 53, also of Independence;

Jared Leroy Mohler, 48, of Columbia; Roland Neil Mohler, 47, of Bates City; and David A. Mohler, 52, of Lamoni, Iowa.

All five were being held in the Lafayette County jail on cash bonds ranging from $30,000 to $75,000. It was not immediately clear if they had attorneys.

Cpl. Bill Lowe of the highway patrol said one of the alleged victims, a daughter of one of the accused, came forward to investigators in mid-August with the allegations and that her siblings have been cooperating in the probe.

Lowe said the woman told investigators that she and the other alleged victims, three girls and a boy, buried glass jars around the property, filled with messages "about what was happening to them" when they were younger.

"Right now what our main focus is the glass jars and trying to locate them," Lowe said. "Those jars have that information."

He said crews were using dogs to assist in the search on the property that had been owned by the Mohler family outside Bates City, which is about 30 miles east of Kansas City, Mo.

Five victims have been located, but the number "could possibly expand," Lowe said. He said all were under the age of 12 at the time of the alleged abuse.

The Lafayette County Sheriff's Department, the Rural Missouri Major Case Squad and the Highway Patrol were investigating, with the help of the Western Missouri Cyber Crimes Task Force.

Columbia police seized a computer and discs from Jared Mohler's home on Tuesday, police spokeswoman Jessie Haden said.

One of the suspects, David Mohler, has worked for Graceland University in Lamoni, Iowa, for 27 years and was arrested on its Independence campus.

"Police came in and put handcuffs on him and led him away," university President John Sellars said. "It was all very quiet and subdued."

He said David Mohler periodically traveled to Independence to work on Graceland's phone systems there. Sellars described David Mohler as "a very nice person who got along well with his colleagues."

"We were stunned," Sellars said. "At this point these are allegations, and of course we need to hear more because I don't know very much at this point."

Sellars said he spoke to David Mohler's wife, Michelle Mohler, on Tuesday and that she also was "shocked and stunned."

He said the couple has grown children, but he did not know their ages or where they lived.

Deborah Burris, who has lived across the street from Burrell Mohler Sr. for several years, described the suspect as a friendly, helpful neighbor.

"We didn't even know he had sons. We didn't know anyone but Burrell himself," Burris said.

She said she thought Mohler lived with his wife and a daughter, but she had never seen them. He was occasionally seen walking around the neighborhood but had appeared frail lately, Burris said.

She said Mohler's house has an apartment on the north side, and there had been "quite a bit of activity there at different times."

"I had thought maybe someone was moving in or out of there," Burris said.

I wonder what adults told the children to do the jar thing??? IMO It sounds like something a woman would say.

ITA. And since when do abusers care about the bad thoughts they cause their victims?

I couldn't believe this story when I read it or that it isn't in, the national news. Sick, sick, sick!

ITA. And since when do abusers care about the bad thoughts they cause their victims?

Exactly, and well-put. The case sounds like most of it is out of a horror novel, and that element seems grafted on from young adult fiction.

I could almost swear I've heard the "write your thoughts down and put them in a jar; bury same, and then they won't hurt you" before, maybe in a book report from one of my eighth or ninth graders when I taught school. Does anybody know of such a book?

I'm sorry but there has already been a thread started on this. Also we can only post a paragraph with a link to article but not the whole article.
This is just shocking! I'm waiting to see what comes of it.

Exactly, and well-put. The case sounds like most of it is out of a horror novel, and that element seems grafted on from young adult fiction.

I could almost swear I've heard the "write your thoughts down and put them in a jar; bury same, and then they won't hurt you" before, maybe in a book report from one of my eighth or ninth graders when I taught school. Does anybody know of such a book?

I'm finding white magic "spells" such as this one below, for example, trying to find a reference to burying thoughts (or troubles?):

THE WELL OF FORGIVENESSSPELL
red ink Piece of paper small jar vinegar
To enable you to forgive someone who has wronged you write their name nine times
with red ink on the piece of paper. Place the paper into the jar and cover it with the vinegar.
Secure the lid on the jar.
Maybe even malt some wax around it and bury the jar away from your home.

I"ll keep looking.

For what it's worth, here's the story I referred to earlier. This happened in Oregon about five years ago and also involved a Dad "marrying" his daughters before he abused them. An older adopted son was also involved. Both parents are doing time. You'll note that a few of the children (both bio and adopted) have posted comments on this blog about the Millers. You'll also note that there are several comments about religion.

http://roguepundit.typepad.com/roguepundit/2006/02/pleading_guilty.html

I just checked vinelink and Greg Miller is set to be released in 2025 and Colleen Miller in 2028. I believe they both pleaded guilty.

That's ok. I asked a mod to merge threads. Horrible case isn't it? Below is a link to the existing thread.

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91397"]5 Family Members Arrested In Connection w/Child Sex Crimes - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Here's the link to the other thread, PTB!

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91397"]5 Family Members Arrested In Connection w/Child Sex Crimes - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

This story is so horrific and I was thinking along the lines of horror novel as well. But I would think much of what the victims have claimed can be substantiated fairly quickly. IMO, false memories of so many victims would be highly unusual.

The alleged sexual abuse of the family's own children is disgusting enough, but WTH is with the possibility of bodies being buried on that property? That really makes me fear this story will be much worse than it already is.

(respectfully snipped)

Because some of them do. It happens - more than we know - and lives get decimated by it. There are savvy juveniles out there who know the power of a false sexual abuse accusation.

I am not implying that this is the case with the investigation we are discussing here or even the case most of the time. And I am deeply respectful of the terrible heartache your family has been through, Missizzy - I really appreciate your input on these threads. I agree that it takes uncommon bravery to even begin to talk about being abused as a child, much less help authorities bring a case.

For me - an allegation of child sexual assault is so deeply ruinous to so many people that I want us to look at it clinically and skeptically from every side before judgment is passed.

I am not a sexual abuse survivor, but many people in my life (including a sister and my husband) are. I know first-hand what that experience does to people. Still, I am glad there is a strong burden of proof to be met in legal cases such as this.

My prayers for everyone who is suffering as a result of the allegations being made in this case.

The problem here is we are not talking about juveniles. It sounds like we are talking about adults who are finally confronting a horrible issue from their past. In instances of sexual abuse, allegations must be brought and LE has a duty to investigate them. Silence creates more pain IMO.

The fact that all six siblings are supporting the allegations makes their story very believable IMO. But then I'm one who usually sides with the victim(s) until facts prove otherwise.

The problem here is we are not talking about juveniles. It sounds like we are talking about adults who are finally confronting a horrible issue from their past. In instances of sexual abuse, allegations must be brought and LE has a duty to investigate them. Silence creates more pain IMO.

The fact that all six siblings are supporting the allegations makes their story very believable IMO. But then I'm one who usually sides with the victim(s) until facts prove otherwise.

I think you make excellent points (regarding the fact that they are adults and siblings) and you may be correct. But I would need to know a lot more about this family and their dynamics before I could define what I am reading as "very believable."

Of course, I'm one who operates from an innocent until proven guilty perspective until I am overwhelmed with evidence to the contrary.

I'm finding white magic "spells" such as this one below, for example, trying to find a reference to burying thoughts (or troubles?):

THE WELL OF FORGIVENESSSPELL
red ink Piece of paper small jar vinegar
To enable you to forgive someone who has wronged you write their name nine times
with red ink on the piece of paper. Place the paper into the jar and cover it with the vinegar.
Secure the lid on the jar.
Maybe even malt some wax around it and bury the jar away from your home.

I"ll keep looking.

The closest I've found was from a self-help site about anger management and making changes: "Actually, I've heard of people doing things to symbolise the passing of the old and the start of the new, like writing a bit about what they've been like in the past and putting the paper in a jar that they shut tight..."

The rest, you're right, are mostly white magic spells of one sort or another.

http://www.broadcaster.org.uk/section1/scenarios/anger.html

The closest I've found was from a self-help sight about anger management and making changes (http://www.broadcaster.org.uk/section1/scenarios/anger.html): "Actually, I've heard of people doing things to symbolise the passing of the old and the start of the new, like writing a bit about what they've been like in the past and putting the paper in a jar that they shut tight..."

At any rate, it is very symbolic of 'burying' the abuse away where no one else can see it, and only the victim knows about it.

ITA it sounds more like something a woman would say, and maybe even one who 'coped' with her own horrible issues.

Until recent years, *nobody* wanted to hear about incest & take steps to do something about it. Unfortunately, there's still too many ears that are not ready to hear about it. :(

The closest I've found was from a self-help sight about anger management and making changes: "Actually, I've heard of people doing things to symbolise the passing of the old and the start of the new, like writing a bit about what they've been like in the past and putting the paper in a jar that they shut tight..."

http://www.broadcaster.org.uk/section1/scenarios/anger.html

The messages in jars is kind of a strange element here. But I just can't see the victims even mentioning that if it weren't true. KWIM? Why would they intentionally add a lie that could be easily disputed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avatour360