Identified! MO - Wright City, Wht/HispFem Torso 813UFMO, 20-45, Jun'04 - Deanna Howland

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am wondering if infomercials tend to attract an older audience? My mom ordered from infomercials when I was a kid, but I never have. I just order something online. What do you guys think about that?

I'm pretty sure the internet has altered their intended audience, especially since the days of those old Ginsu ads.
My TV (cable) is not hooked up and working, so I haven't seen an actual infomercial in a while. But I have seen some where you can order the stuff online (as opposed to "Call in the next..."). The internet was going strong around the time of this lady's death, though not quite as pervasive as it is today.

But the ads still seem to be geared toward people who watch a lot of TV, are bored and impulsive enough to "gotta have" what's being hawked. I speak of people who aren't necessarily "couch potatoes," but someone like a housewife sitting there tending to the kids or elderly people or anyone who'd be home a lot of the time to watch TV.

It also seems like there are many things from those ads that you don't actually have to actually call in and order to get.
My local Dollar General and Kroger (grocery) both have a small area for "As Seen on TV" products. All of the infomercial products I've bought came from somewhere like that. I've never really ordered anything I saw on infomercials.

From our Ginsu knife conversation, I deduce that:

- Someone (likely a housewife, elderly person, or other person in a stay-at-home capacity) already had this knife in their kitchen. The killer had access to this person's house. So, I believe the person who originally bought the Ginsu knife is related to this killer. I also believe that this relative's residence is the location where our torso victim was dismembered. Serial killers tend to live with either very passive, submissive wives or same type of mother or sister if it's a female relative, and it's usually a female relative. Otherwise, they live alone. So it is technically in the realm of possibility that this killer is home a lot, and ordered the knife himself. I think he is too smart for that, though. I think he had access to the knife before he kidnapped the victim.

- Since Forensics tells us that the victim was dismembered within a 50-100 mile radius of the rest stop, we can theorize that the killer has a relative of some kind, or a friend, who lives in a 50-100 mile radius of the rest stop.

- Serial killers operate within spheres. They have "hunting grounds" which are usually close to where they live or work, or a place they are familiar with, so if the killer has a friend/relative's house within 50-100 miles of the rest stop, he is likely to live or work near that area.

The only thing that would throw this theory out was if the killer was an Interstate serial killer, which is a relatively new concept and the profile hasn't been established well enough. I personally do not feel this is in Interstate killer (like a trucker type) because the victim was dismembered relatively close to the rest stop, which means he needed a secure location for it, like a shed, basement, barn, etc.

Thank you to Bflocket and Carl and everyone else for these details on the dismemberment tool. This is valuable insight. I think if we stop getting hung up on the obvious (the victim) and we can slowly analyze other things at the crime scene.

My next question to you out there on the Interwebs:

Why the rest stop?

There are a lot of places to dump a body out in that area. I live very close to the area and it's a small town, rural, about 50 miles from St. Louis. There are tons of National Parks and large farms around, and there are a lot of small towns and larger cities along I-70 in that area. I know the initial response is "to get attention ASAP." But I feel that the rest stop at the particular spot on I-70 is significant in some way. I don't think the killer took all the time to kidnap a woman, assault her, kill her, dismember her, and then frantically dump her at some random rest stop. It had to have been planned out like the rest of the murder. So, does he frequent the area and saw that it was moderately busy and the back gate was open at the rear of the rest stop on the Westbound side of I-70? That means he had to have scoped out the rest stop at various times. That means that he travels that way frequently, or lives near the area.

Side note: The ditch the victim was put in is on the Westbound side of I-70 at the rest stop in Wright City. The only way to access that is from a gate that was left open the night before. Otherwise, that area is locked after dark. We know the victim was dumped there around 9-11pm on a Sunday night. Locals in Wright City say the gate is sometimes left open, sometimes not, depends on if the groundskeepers close it behind them. There's not a pattern with this gate. So this leads me to believe the killer had been at that location enough times to know he had a good chance of the gate being open.

For what it's worth, ME said killer did not carry the torso into the ditch. He tossed her from the curb into the ravine area, probably shielded by his vehicle. He then took the time to place the knife nearby.

Another random fact worth noting is that 2 witnesses at the rest stop said they noticed a white utility van at the rest stop at that time, near the area (the kind with the white painted windows so you can't see inside). A van would have made sense to transport a body in.

My question is: Why that particular rest area?

I know this is all based on conjecture. But if we go down enough rabbit holes, I am convinced something will turn up at some point!

Update:

ME says dismemberment cuts were "clean, with precision."

Thoughts?

Update:

ME says dismemberment cuts were "clean, with precision."

Thoughts?

The Ginsu was used on the victim, as her DNA was there. I just can't see the (larger-scale) dismemberment being done with it. Maybe they kept the thing they used to dismember her and discarded the Ginsu.

Could they have used it to remove an organ/hand/etc or to slice the throat? Would a slashed throat be noticeable without the head?

But for the legs and the larger cuts, you would still have to do a "sawing" motion with a Ginsu to sever them. I would think that never would be described as "clean and precise" even if it clearly got the job done.

Ginsu knives are popular with hunters and fishermen because they make quick, clean cuts on slippery targets.

I'm wondering if maybe the dismemberment site was a fishing shack, hunting cabin, or other area where fish or game might be cleaned. Blood there wouldn't be noticed -- I mean, it would be noticed, but not obviously human.

As for why that rest area -- the most obvious thing about it is that it's just over the state line in the westbound direction.

Is it possible to pull into the rest area from I-70 and exit through that gate, or are the two areas completely separate?

I visited the rest area about two weeks ago.

The gate is right off of the service road and leads right to the spot (off of a cul-de-sac type turnaround by some bushes) where this Jane Doe was dumped. I entered the rest stop via WB I-70 first. Then I went WB to the next exit off of 70 and went back via the service road. I did note that even in broad daylight, the gate (which is just a cattle gate) was difficult to spot from the service road (and LE believes he/they did enter from the service road through that gate), and I knew what I was looking for. This was in November, when a lot of the leaves had fallen. That makes me think it would be harder to spot in the middle of summer (she was dumped in June) when the plants and trees are in full bloom. It would also be harder to see at late at night, which is when she was dumped there.

I think the killer is local or at least extremely familiar with that service road and that rest stop.

I will follow up and see if I can find out if the Ginsu knife actually dismembered her or if it was a prop or something.

Thank you for that detailed description. It does sound like either someone local, or someone who had scoped out the details before committing the crime.

My guess is a weird older male recluse/hermit who lives close to the site of where the remains were found. Possibly good at cutting things up due to also being a hunter?

I am leaning towards the hunting aspect. I think Carbuff hit it on the head with the idea of a hunting shack in the area and the mention that Ginsu knives are popular in the hunting community. That is all pointing in the same direction. I have forwarded this info on to folks associated with the case. The hunting aspect has come up in the minds of law enforcement via a separate situation in this case. So we have two different groups of people who have come to a similar conclusion about the killer(s) being in the hunting community.

You guys are awesome. :snowflake::snowflake::snowflake:

Still waiting to hear back if the Ginsu knife was the actual dismemberment weapon, or even if I am allowed to know that. It may be one of those things they don't tell anyone about in order to protect the case in the event the guy(s) is/are actually captured, which I think will happen. I don't think he is as smart as he thinks he is. I think it is a matter of time before he messes up or someone gives him up to LE.

The Ginsu was used on the victim, as her DNA was there. I just can't see the (larger-scale) dismemberment being done with it. Maybe they kept the thing they used to dismember her and discarded the Ginsu.

Could they have used it to remove an organ/hand/etc or to slice the throat? Would a slashed throat be noticeable without the head?

But for the legs and the larger cuts, you would still have to do a "sawing" motion with a Ginsu to sever them. I would think that never would be described as "clean and precise" even if it clearly got the job done.

No organs were removed. The neck was severed in a way that we can't tell if her throat was cut. The legs were severed below the knees, so the bones would have been smaller down there. The victim was also petite from what we can tell. The killer avoided the larger bones in the legs and didn't even attempt to cut her legs up higher. So he didn't think he could get through the larger bones apparently.

I am waiting on clarification on the clean and precise idea. I agree using a 12-inch serrated knife wouldn't normally produce a clean cut, but if someone was experienced in using knives to chop or clean or something, I think it's possible. The ME definitely feels that this person has either prior experience in dismembering people or animals.

DeoDuce, thank you for the extra work you are putting into this case. I first read about this case a few years ago and it still haunts me.

I rarely post speculations and thoughts, but here are some... Sorry if any of these were already mentioned somewhere! Let me know what you all think...
  • It is interesting that her bra was a tad bit too big for her, but also a "cheaper" bra. A bra too large and cheap can be extremely uncomfortable to wear. The brand "Lei" can be found at Walmart, Kmart, and similar and the prices are around $20 or less. Bras are also things that should not be bought cheaply. Could this say anything about the victim, or is it possible that the killer bought one and planted the bra on her?
    The victim was also said to likely be a runner. If she was abducted and murdered during a run, wouldn't she have been wearing some sort of sports bra? Perhaps she either wasn't running at the time, or if she was wearing a distinctive sports bra, the killer removed it and planted this one.
  • The Ginsu knife discarded with the body is odd. I don't really know how Ginsu knives work but precise cuts are hard to make without some experience. Could the killer be a hunter, in the medical field (surgeon), or in the culinary arts? ...Or more importantly, has possibly killed with the same modus operandi before? The knives also appear to be heavily advertised on TV through infomercials and are fairly cheap.
  • Were there any signs of sexual assault or any of the suspect's DNA near the pubic area? I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere.
  • C-sections and appendectomies are quite common surgeries. They're painful and require quite some time to heal. She also would have had to go somewhere for these and afford these in some way.

Just a little info on the knives... 15 years ago i used to work in a telemarketing office. Whenever a potential customer agreed to a home demonstration we gave them a full set of ginsu knives. They cut through tin cans and still stay sharp. In addition to the infomercials these were given out as gifts to countless households. Just thought i would put that out there and i apologize if i ever called one of you during my 6 months of telemarketing.

The Major Case Squad of Greater St. Louis on Tuesday identified the victim as Deanna D. Howland of Alton, Illinois.

A highway maintenance worker found Howland's torso on June 28, 2004, in Warren County, Missouri, about 45 miles west of St. Louis. She would have been 35 at the time of her disappearance.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...illinois-woman-identified-20160322-story.html

:rose: RIP Deanna :rose:

56f183b21980b.image.jpg

Police said the investigation into Howland's death is continuing.

The case was reopened in 2014 by one of the lieutenants, who later began communicating with investigators in Madison County, Ill., about a missing persons case. Howland wasn't reported missing until last year. Information about her was posted in the National Missing and Unidentified Persons database, but it was submitted by authorities there until last year.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_227a554c-dac6-5ac2-b166-c950628423ba.html

The break came within the last two years during police interviews with an Edwardsville officer accused of arson and burglary.

During interviews in that investigation, Edwardsville police officer Brian Barker mentioned that his sister had been missing for years.

Police still don't know who killed Howland or why. They are asking anyone with information about the case to call CrimeStoppers at 866-371-8477.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_f1f46cff-ce0b-5ecc-a6ee-2f240dd663a7.html

1673544208781.png
This mugshot shows Mike Anthony Clardy, who's accused of killing and dismembering the body of Deanna Denise Howland in June 2004. Howland's body was found by maintenance workers at a rest stop in Wright City, Missouri.

Jan 12 2023
''ST. ANN, Mo. (AP) — A man has been charged with murder and jailed in a case that baffled police for nearly two decades — the death of a woman whose decapitated torso was found at a Missouri rest stop along Interstate 70.

Mike A. Clardy, 63, of Maryland Heights, Missouri, was charged Wednesday with second-degree murder and abandonment of a corpse in the killing of Deanna Denise Howland. His bail was set at $1 million.

Police say DNA evidence connected Clardy to the crime, and they say he confessed after his arrest, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.''

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfred1221
Back