Most Intriguing Classic Unsolved Single Murder Poll

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

What classic unsolved single murder are you most intrigued by?

• Rose Harsent 1902

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Caroline Luard 1908

• George Storrs 1909

• William Taylor 1922

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Margery Wren 1930

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Julia Wallace 1931

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Evelyn Foster 1931

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Hubert Chevis 1931

• Lord Errol 1941

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry Oakes 1943

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Elizabeth Short 1947

Votes: 89 47.6%
  • Shirley Collins 1953

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Marilyn Sheppard 1954

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Valery Percy 1966

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • Another Please Explain

Votes: 39 20.9%

• Total voters
Paroubek is intriguing and, even living in Illinois, I hadn't heard much about the case until around the 100th anniversary.

Count me as another one who would like something definitive on the Girl Scout Murders. My family is from that area. I think about that case all the time. If Hart did do it, he didn't do it alone.

Paroubek is intriguing and, even living in Illinois, I hadn't heard much about the case until around the 100th anniversary.

That one oddball is the only suspect I know about but being odd makes him a little too convenient perhaps.

I voted for other. The case that intrigues me and baffles me the most is the Lane Bryant Shooting from 2008. This happened on a Saturday morning in a busy shopping center and the killer went basically undetected after spending over a half an hour in the store. This case gets very little press coverage for a crime in which 5 women were murdered and a sixth victim was lucky to survive. Knowing the identity of this killer is on my bucket list.

I voted for other. The case that intrigues me and baffles me the most is the Lane Bryant Shooting from 2008. This happened on a Saturday morning in a busy shopping center and the killer went basically undetected after spending over a half an hour in the store. This case gets very little press coverage for a crime in which 5 women were murdered and a sixth victim was lucky to survive. Knowing the identity of this killer is on my bucket list.

Yes, that one is destined to become a classic unsolved case if it remains a mystery for some more years.

I often wonder why the Lane Bryant shooting does not get more press or attention. Such a grisly crime that seems solvable if more people knew about it.....a pretty good sketch of the shooter exists, as does a recording of his voice. Someone HAS to know who he is. I think there is definitely more to these murders than a simple robbery gone bad. Hopefully, someday we will know.

I often wonder why the Lane Bryant shooting does not get more press or attention. Such a grisly crime that seems solvable if more people knew about it.....a pretty good sketch of the shooter exists, as does a recording of his voice. Someone HAS to know who he is. I think there is definitely more to these murders than a simple robbery gone bad. Hopefully, someday we will know.

I've been wondering the same thing for the last few years myself. It seems like wit all they have, if they could find the right person to come forward this case could be solved in no time. By not going on TV shows like ID, they are not getting this out to enough people. They say it is far from a cold case but yet it has been 7 years now. As far as media coverage, I only found one article about the 7th anniversary which was last Monday and it said the same thing that the 6 year anniversary articles said.

One more vote for another. My vote would go to one of two Australian cases (I am not an Aussie!). Either the Tamam Shud case or the Beaumont children case. Tamam Shud gets a bonus for the fact that no one even knows the cause of death and, even though some links are clear to individuals, the identity of the dead man remains unknown. The Beaumont case is a classic tragic mystery with lots of suggestions but none which appears better than others. The Beaumont case is further complicated by the murky politics of a corrupt local government.

I should also mention the Gunther Stoll case from 1984 in Germany. Weird in the extreme.

One more vote for another. My vote would go to one of two Australian cases (I am not an Aussie!). Either the Tamam Shud case or the Beaumont children case. Tamam Shud gets a bonus for the fact that no one even knows the cause of death and, even though some links are clear to individuals, the identity of the dead man remains unknown. The Beaumont case is a classic tragic mystery with lots of suggestions but none which appears better than others. The Beaumont case is further complicated by the murky politics of a corrupt local government.

What about Shirley Collins, that's Australian.

Shirley Collins seems more mainstream - the sort of murder which, sadly, occurs quite frequently. For me it does not have the unique and strange features of the other two cases.

I find a lot of mysteries in Collins, like did she get off at the wrong station? Apparently she did but then which station and why? Did she know that she had gotten off at the wrong station? If so then why didn't she go to the clerk and arrange to either go on to her intended destination or back home? Who killed her and why? Did she know them?

Yep agree the Beaumont Children Disappearance is my vote. We all grew up hearing about this, I still remember the sad look on my mothers face when she talked about it. Kate x

I can't find a thread for Shirley Collins, I've just read up on it elsewhere, never heard of her case before.

I can't find a thread for Shirley Collins, I've just read up on it elsewhere, never heard of her case before.

Maybe one of our Aussie friends will start one. Crime writer Collin Wilson had it as one of his top ten.

Hmm, no male victim has more than 4 votes.:thinking:

Before 1975, the only two I'd heard of were Sheppard and Percy.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hey2you22
Back