Mother outraged after son has teeth removed at school

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Y'all are missing the point. The reason you don't let a bus riding student walk is because of accountability. Had he gone missing, where would they start? They'd start with the BUS because that's where he is supposed to be. Valuable time lost.

Accountability. It's why schools track who is a walker and who is a bus rider. These are different times than even when WE were kids. They don't just release students into the wild anymore.

What is hard to understand?

No point missed here, As far as I am concerned he was a walker and not a bus rider. Mom's first lie was she didn't sign a form allowing for baby teeth/teeth to be extracted so why should I believe he was a bus rider when evidence shows he was more then likely a walker. I can't trust any thing she says after the first lie, sorry. jmo idk

By the age of 14 my daughter had all four wisdom teeth cut out, all four of her 12 year molars pulled, two other permanent teeth pulled, as well as six baby teeth that were also pulled. However, this was all done by her dentist or an oral surgeon after X-rays and follow up appointments were first completed. She never once had teeth pulled by the dentist the day they determined she needed them pulled - nor have I (with the exception of one tooth that was an an emergency extraction). For that matter, she's never had a filling done he same day she was told she needed one - nor have I. I seriously doubt they had all the necessary equipment there on site to take X-rays and do all the important protocols that need to be followed prior to pulling a tooth. With all that said, I would seriously question the dentist. On the surface it seems like a small matter if he were seeing a dentist he regularly sees. However, when you take into account that this child more than likely has never seen this dentist before and then really examine what occurred, it's actually a pretty serious problem with what appears to be a dentist whose practices need to be looked at more closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe, since signing the permission slip for her son to be part of this dental program almost two years ago, she forgot? Or was expecting the school to let her know when the dentist was coming to the school and maybe she never heard anything about it so she scheduled a dentist appointment for her kid? Has anyone considered that she signed the form in March 2015 and expected to be notified by the school as to when the dental work would be taking case and to also be notified the day of the procedure if anything was to be done besides a cleaning? I really don't think that is an unreasonable expectation for something she signed a consent form for close to 2 years ago.

BBM

Maybe she didn't read the school calendar, either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Would a nine yearvold necessarily even know the way home? And yes, something could happen. Somer Thompson in Florida was killed when her siblings ran away from her when walking home from school.

I walked to and from school starting in the first grade (so six years old), as did most other kids in the school. It was a short walk, but it did involve crossing a busy highway. After the third grade I lived farther away and took a school bus. But I still walked to and from the bus stop and knew what number bus to get on. The only problem I ever remember having, was the first time I was late for school. I was used to lining up with the other kids to go inside. Since everyone else was already inside, I had no clue what to do. So I walked back home, and then my mother walked back to school with me.

So in those days, six year olds could do it. After the first day of school, it was pretty much expected. At about that age, I was also expected to run errands for my parents, including going to the grocery store, when we were out of something. I think it is kind of sad if six to nine year olds, can't find their way to and from school now days.

BBM

Maybe she didn't read the school calendar, either.

You're assuming it was on the school calendar. My kids' schools wouldn't have had something like this on their school calendar, they put days off and early release days and that's it.

A quick look at the news photo of the child's mouth clearly shows that the teeth extracted were unquestionably baby teeth (deciduous).The teeth were absolutely not "permanent adult teeth". I can say that with 100% certainty. Extractions of adult teeth look completely different. (Easy to google images of each, if interested.)

The condition of the areas also clearly show that the edges of the teeth extracted were very superficial to the surface of the gums, and the depth and shape of the area clearly shows that the root was completely resorbed. That means the tooth was ready to fall out. It's very, very easy to tell that these were baby teeth that were completely ready to come out. The bleeding was very minimal, the clots are tiny, the "sockets" (not really sockets at all) are level with the other gum tissue, and the "socket" area is essentially not swollen at all. I sincerely doubt that the child's "face" was swollen from the procedure (mother's words)-- it isn't in the picture, nor are the gums at all traumatized or swollen. (Maybe his eyes were swollen from crying for a long time?) As I said before, it's likely the teeth were "hinged" already, or nearly out after the instrumentation with cleaning, or had food under them, etc.

There is no local anesthetic/ "novocaine",or sedation needed for these kind of extractions in normal children, nor would any be given in an office environment for such superficial teeth extractions. All that is needed is a gloved hand with a piece of gauze-- almost exactly the same procedure parents and kids use at home to remove baby teeth. I would bet that this is exactly what was done by the dentist.

So I really wish people would stop saying the dentist did something "wrong" in the course of the procedure, or that "pain medication should have been used", or that the teeth removed were permanent teeth, or implying that the dentist was predatory for money, or incompetent.

As part of my job, I have worked for many years periodically providing general anesthesia for dental procedures for severely mentally disabled children, adults, and elderly with dementia and Alzheimers. Medicaid/ medicare will approve an outpatient surgery procedure about once every few years for these kids and adults-- and after the sometimes hours long dental procedures in the OR, other providers come in (while the patient is still anesthetized) and we also do colonoscopies, PAP smears, and almost any other "routine" procedures they may need that they are too fearful, or unable to cooperate with, in an office environment.

As I said in other posts, there are *potential issues* with informed consent, and parental notifications. I am not convinced that the mother's story is entirely accurate. I am not convinced the school or the dentist did anything wrong, at this point. I'd like to know more about the bus/ walker situation, when that decision was made, who knew, and if they tried to reach a parent before, during,or after the procedure, and when. Beyond that, I'm convinced the child had an extremely minimal procedure to pluck out resorbed-root baby teeth, and the dentist did nothing "wrong."

ETA: BTW, the dentist and dental crew almost certainly gave the child his teeth to take home, and probably in a "special" container, along with stickers, etc. Dentists simply don't routinely discard children's teeth without special consent to do so, because baby teeth have such special meaning in our culture. (And in a remote location like a school they would have to appropriately dispose of the teeth as bio waste-- and they're not going to be eager to carry that back to their clinic.)

Many elementary classes have "lost tooth" bulletin boards to celebrate that milestone of growing up. That the mother did not parade the returned teeth in front of the cameras is very, very telling. Because the condition of the teeth will clearly tell what was done, and that they were baby teeth with resorbed roots. It's more dramatic to make the child open his mouth for the media cameras, because "if it bleeds, it leads". Reporter never asked to see the teeth, and mom never volunteered the teeth.

This is a really incompetent story-- poorly told, poorly reported, poorly investigated, IMO.

I did some research into "why" Maryland and Baltimore is hosting dental care in public schools, and how that came to be. Thought I'd share these links that tell the beginning of the story, from 2007:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/tragic-results-when-dental-care-is-out-of-reach/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca.../gIQANEJoGR_story.html?utm_term=.31ebcd5e6cf4

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Dental/story?id=2925584

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/0...-tooth-spurs-call-for-dental-care-change.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marian-wright-edelman/deamonte-drivers-dental-care_b_831705.html

Maryland, Deamonte’s home state, has become a model for reform. One innovative solution helping to reach some underserved children like Deamonte is mobile dental clinics staffed by volunteer dentists, and in November the Deamonte Driver Dental Project Mobile Unit, a large van now equipped as a three-chair children’s dental clinic, made its first stop by spending the day at Deamonte’s old school.

Deamonte Driver Dental Project Mobile Unit:

http://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/2010/05/deamonte-driver-unveils.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/21/AR2011022102040.html

You're assuming it was on the school calendar. My kids' schools wouldn't have had something like this on their school calendar, they put days off and early release days and that's it.

queenb3577 posted above re her kids' school calendar - a good point. I just checked a couple B'more sites. Seems mostly/only district wide events are listed on sites such as -
https://www.bcps.org/calendars/
http://www.baltimorecityschools.org/about/calendars
relating to # of pupil days, # of teacher days, holidays, etc. i.e., e
vents planned 1 yr or more in adv. Printed far ahead.

Does each elem school and middle school have own separate calendar on FB or other soc media to list field trips, dental clinics, other events, esp activities requiring parental/guardian written consent?

I wonder if someone (local-ish? or one of our Google Wizards?) can figure out which school her son attends. And find an online calendar for that school, or maybe even a site for his grade or class? Anyone? Thx in adv.

^ Just speculation on my part. When I was 9 y/o, like her son, no soc media except moms yakking back & forth across the fence, also party lines on ATT black desk-model dial phones ;). You know, back when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. :biggrin: LOL.

My (admittedly poorly stated) point was that the statement that the mother (paraphrasing) was never notified as to when these dental clinics were even scheduled is an assumption that may not be accurate. I find it hard to believe that there wasn't some form of communication that a dental clinic was going to be held... perhaps on the school calendar, school newsletter, a note sent home, an email, etc. My son's school sends out a "what's going on next week" email which would note such an upcoming event. The mother may not have read or paid attention to other communications about the dental clinic.

Would a nine yearvold necessarily even know the way home?

really?

now your taking it way to far to the extreme....

And yes, something could happen. Somer Thompson in Florida was killed when her siblings ran away from her when walking home from school.

so what?....if he took the bus home, the bus could crash.....so whats your point?

queenb3577 posted above re her kids' school calendar - a good point. I just checked a couple B'more sites. Seems mostly/only district wide events are listed on sites such as -
https://www.bcps.org/calendars/
http://www.baltimorecityschools.org/about/calendars
relating to # of pupil days, # of teacher days, holidays, etc. i.e., e
vents planned 1 yr or more in adv. Printed far ahead.

Does each elem school and middle school have own separate calendar on FB or other soc media to list field trips, dental clinics, other events, esp activities requiring parental/guardian written consent?

I wonder if someone (local-ish? or one of our Google Wizards?) can figure out which school her son attends. And find an online calendar for that school, or maybe even a site for his grade or class? Anyone? Thx in adv.

^ Just speculation on my part. When I was 9 y/o, like her son, no soc media except moms yakking back & forth across the fence, also party lines on ATT black desk-model dial phones ;). You know, back when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. :biggrin: LOL.

beechfield elementary school.

http://www.baltimorecityschools.org/246

http://www.baltimorecityschools.org/Page/25226

really?

so what?....if he took the bus home, the bus could crash.....so whats your point?

The point is that at least he would be on the bus where his mother expected him to be.

The point is that at least he would be on the bus where his mother expected him to be.

I posted this earlier, it appears he was a walker, it was stated that he lived less then 1 mile from school. Since his mother forget that she signed the form I am having doubts that he was a bus rider. Unless he was riding a bus to a farther point and walking back to his home. Bus drivers know who is suppose to be on the bus and who isn't. So unless he was riding a bus when he shouldn't have been then the bus driver should be talked to about that.

There's a reason when a bus is involved in an accident that the school knows who is on that bus. By taking attendance and the driver knowing who got on that day and who didn't.

If your child is in elementary school and lives 1-mile from school, your child will walk to school.

http://www.baltimorecityschools.org...andbook for ESOL PARENTS simplified draft.pdf

I posted this earlier, it appears he was a walker, it was stated that he lived less then 1 mile from school. Since his mother forget that she signed the form I am having doubts that he was a bus rider. Unless he was riding a bus to a farther point and walking back to his home. Bus drivers know who is suppose to be on the bus and who isn't. So unless he was riding a bus when he shouldn't have been then the bus driver should be talked to about that.

There's a reason when a bus is involved in an accident that the school knows who is on that bus. By taking attendance and the driver knowing who got on that day and who didn't.

If your child is in elementary school and lives 1-mile from school, your child will walk to school.

http://www.baltimorecityschools.org...andbook for ESOL PARENTS simplified draft.pdf

This is true but we do not know if he took the bus to another location to a babysitter's house. My daughter is a walker but is allowed to take the bus to my mother's house. If his mother said he missed the bus I am not going to doubt her based on her forgetting that she signed a consent form 22-23 months ago. If she had signed the form that day and was upset about the teeth being pulled without her being notified, I really wouldn't think this was a big deal. She signed the form almost 2 YEARS AGO.

She signed the form almost 2 YEARS AGO.

signatures and legal documents (which this is) do not have an expiration date unless it is specifically stated within the document itself,

i signed my divorce papers over 10 years ago,

if i said i didn't remember reading those documents or signing them because it was 10 years ago, would my divorce now become null and void? :facepalm:

crying children always get attention wether it is justified or not.....and that is all this reporter wanted

really?

If he was supposed to be on the bus and was not, the school would be liable, If he lives on a street that is far away and the route zigs and zags, he may not inow how to get home, although he did.

Parents usually do not let nine year old's walk that far from home. Different world nowadays.

signatures and legal documents (which this is) do not have an expiration date unless it is specifically stated within the document itself,

i signed my divorce papers over 10 years ago,

if i said i didn't remember reading those documents or signing them because it was 10 years ago, would my divorce now become null and void? :facepalm:

crying children always get attention wether it is justified or not.....and that is all this reporter wanted

School permission slips are for the school year or an activity.

School permission slips are for the school year or an activity.

dentists are not stupid people, they are very highly educated,

if that was the case, the dentist would never even look at or touch this child,

do you really think the dentist is not aware of lawsuits??

i would bet my house that dentist makes damn sure he sees that signed form before the child even enters the room,

dentists are not stupid people, they are very highly educated,

if that was the case, the dentist would never even look at or touch this child,

do you really think the dentist is not aware of lawsuits??

i would bet my house that dentist makes damn sure he sees that signed form before the child even enters the room,

At my school, the permission slip was sent with the child to the dental team. There is no way schools are keeping slips for years. Kids move. Parents change their minds. There is ZERO doubt in my mind a new permission was signed

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back