MS MS - Jessica Stacks, 28, missing from boat on Tallahatchie River, 1 Jan 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is the first mention of a gun that I have seen. So many unanswered questions. How does he know that it is the gun he started the trip with? Could that be why he didn't call plan A for the pick up?
Jessica Stacks missing ten days; Sheriff says “not ready to quit looking for her”
Thanks for posting this - it was a good article and I found the pictures to be helpful (the river is much more narrow and muddy than I had imagined it to be). Another contributor posted a good article in which the reporter asked the sheriff whether the BF had participated in the search (Sheriff said he limited the search to LE). But has any reporter simply said "dang it Sheriff, how do you explain that her boots were found after apparently being cut off?" I truly appreciate the detailed description of how many searchers bravely dove in 42 degree water, but I'd really like a point blank answer about the boots sheriff!

Thanks for posting this - it was a good article and I found the pictures to be helpful (the river is much more narrow and muddy than I had imagined it to be). Another contributor posted a good article in which the reporter asked the sheriff whether the BF had participated in the search (Sheriff said he limited the search to LE). But has any reporter simply said "dang it Sheriff, how do you explain that her boots were found after apparently being cut off?" I truly appreciate the detailed description of how many searchers bravely dove in 42 degree water, but I'd really like a point blank answer about the boots sheriff!

Yes. She leaves the boat without her purse or keys, but manages to take a knife with her when she bails out. (Just in case she needs to cut her boots off.)

Yeah, I was picturing that river to be like the one I grew up adventuring on (Bogue Chitto, south MS), which is so shallow in parts that you have to walk the boat or inner tube bc it's not even ankle deep. Those pictures show a much deeper river, and you will never convince me that she jumped out of a boat, after dark, in the cold, without a phone or purse. Nope.

Also @Catmommy that is a GREAT point about women and our phones/purses. And so many men who kill their spouses/significant others do not think this way, which is why it's always a giant red flag when they claim "she just left without her stuff." Again, nope. It's not a common action for a woman to leave those items behind, but we hear the same story time after time.

Yeah, I was picturing that river to be like the one I grew up adventuring on (Bogue Chitto, south MS), which is so shallow in parts that you have to walk the boat or inner tube bc it's not even ankle deep. Those pictures show a much deeper river, and you will never convince me that she jumped out of a boat, after dark, in the cold, without a phone or purse. Nope.

Also @Catmommy that is a GREAT point about women and our phones/purses. And so many men who kill their spouses/significant others do not think this way, which is why it's always a giant red flag when they claim "she just left without her stuff." Again, nope. It's not a common action for a woman to leave those items behind, but we hear the same story time after time.
I wonder why she even had her purse with her, in that muddy river, while hunting....?

This is the first mention of a gun that I have seen. So many unanswered questions. How does he know that it is the gun he started the trip with? Could that be why he didn't call plan A for the pick up?
Jessica Stacks missing ten days; Sheriff says “not ready to quit looking for her”

Thank you for posting this excellent article. It has clear pictures of the river including the spot where she is claimed to have been dropped off. It also seems to say she was dropped at the riverbank whereas I had understood (perhaps misunderstood) they were farther from the bank.

Best of all it describes her options for direction of travel and the terrain she would have encountered. V helpful.

Unfortunately I still have many of the same questions as people posed on page 1, and the same hinky meter readings, but at least can picture it now which I couldn’t before.

Thank you for posting this excellent article. It has clear pictures of the river including the spot where she is claimed to have been dropped off. It also seems to say she was dropped at the riverbank whereas I had understood (perhaps misunderstood) they were farther from the bank.

I got from that text that on January 1 the river was swollen after heavy rains, rising from it's bed, but when the pics were made, 1o days later, it was already back to the normal levels. So it seems Jessica would have to wade through waterto get to some dry land. IMO.

Yeah, I was picturing that river to be like the one I grew up adventuring on (Bogue Chitto, south MS), which is so shallow in parts that you have to walk the boat or inner tube bc it's not even ankle deep. Those pictures show a much deeper river, and you will never convince me that she jumped out of a boat, after dark, in the cold, without a phone or purse. Nope .

I'm with you @swedeheart . You will never convince me, either, that she walked off on foot out there in anyway, much less, without a purse. Fellow Mississippi country girl here, and I would not unless I was in extreme fight or flight situation! Any man worth his salt who has been properly raised would not have allowed her to walk out alone. He would have taken her back if he was worth a dime. By the way, my grandmother was from Bogue Chitto. I still have family in the area.

Also [USER=39873 said:
@Catmommy[/USER] that is a GREAT point about women and our phones/purses. And so many men who kill their spouses/significant others do not think this way, which is why it's always a giant red flag when they claim "she just left without her stuff." Again, nope. It's not a common action for a woman to leave those items behind, but we hear the same story time after time.

Another thing that I completely agree with, @Catmommy ! Leaving behind your purse, phone or keys means total vulnerability these days. I don't believe a word of his story.

I wonder why she even had her purse with her, in that muddy river, while hunting....?

This is a really great point. No women that I know who hunt carry a purse with them, let alone out on a boat at night. You have clothing made with pockets and compartments to carry all your necessary things you would keep in a purse. This tells me that either she was super inexperienced on going out hunting, possibly under the influence of something that impaired her judgement (not intended to disparage her in any way) or most likely in my mind: his story is bull hockey.

This thing about the boots is wild and I can't even imagine what it means except for one thing: someone else forced those boots on to bigger feet to make tracks in them.

Right. To make it appear that she was in the boat. I don't believe that she would have taken a purse and her keys with her in the boat. That leaves me to believe that she was never in it alive, or never in it at all.

If you can give the BF any credence, they put the boat in the river early on New Year's day, so if she got out of the boat shortly afterwards, it was still daylight.

I've always taken my phone with me while on a boat. Her phone was probably in it before being handed over to the man and she might smoke and had cigarettes in it?

Most would have that phone in something waterproof and probably in gear or pockets, not a purse. That is just me basing it on people I know and their habits.

Most would have that phone in something waterproof and probably in gear or pockets, not a purse. That is just me basing it on people I know and their habits.
I carry a small purse and always kept it in large zip lock bag. I carried it for security. You never know when you need a phone, or credit card or cash for emergencies.

Right. To make it appear that she was in the boat. I don't believe that she would have taken a purse and her keys with her in the boat. That leaves me to believe that she was never in it alive, or never in it at all.
These are my thoughts also.

I have a lot of the same questions as others:

1. Why was her phone handed over?
My phone is expensive, I'm not turning it over to anyone.

2. Did this guy physically see JS?

3. I have been on the rivers plenty of times. I have never taken my keys. If they get dropped over board or lost then I'm screwed. Never have I taken my purse. That stays in my vehicle under the seat. I have a second phone that has no internet, a cheapy phone. That's the one I take on the river. If it falls in its not a big deal. When I get home I transfer my pics to my fb or my good phone.

4. What made her get out of the boat, if in fact she did. Was it a fight or flight situation?

5. No phone, no gun, no purse, no keys, but she has a knife to cut off her boots??

6. Why did he call his son and not the guy who has her phone?

7. Whose idea was it to go boat hunting?

8. Why is she not reported missing sooner than 10pm?

9. When is the last time someone physically saw her?

I see all kinds of red flags....
:/

I carry a small purse and always kept it in large zip lock bag. I carried it for security. You never know when you need a phone, or credit card or cash for emergencies.
When I'm on the river I carry some cash in my pockets. No way am I carrying my debit card. Its too valuable. Lol!

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back