MS MS - Jessica Stacks, 28, missing from boat on Tallahatchie River, 1 Jan 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How does one go about getting approval to post a podcast episode? I believe they're not officially approved but seem to be frequently approved though I never understand how/why. Do I just post it and rely on that certain group here who are, shall we say, very dedicated to policing the forum even though they are not mods, to report me?

How does one go about getting approval to post a podcast episode? I believe they're not officially approved but seem to be frequently approved though I never understand how/why. Do I just post it and rely on that certain group here who are, shall we say, very dedicated to policing the forum even though they are not mods, to report me?
I would report your own post and then provide a link to the podcast in your report so they can review it.

Using this post to report it myself to ask for permission to post a link to a podcast.

This is an episode of the Unfound podcast featuring an interview with a friend of the family and the admin for Jessica's FB page.

You'll be able to find this podcast on other formats/websites if you choose.

Her boyfriend, 45-year-old Jerry Baggett, told police Stacks got out of the boat and he never saw her again.

But when NewsNation spoke with Baggett for this story, he gave a very different account, which contradicted everything reported about Stacks disappearance.

The Stacks family marked the second anniversary of her disappearance with a vigil.

Stacks’ mother, Cathy Paden, helped friends and family release sky lanterns on New Year’s Day to honor her daughter’s memory. Balloons reading “Let this light represent our love and compassion. We will never forget you” launched into the sky and candles floated on the Tallahatchie river where Stacks was reportedly seen last.

When NewsNation reached Baggett by phone for this story, he told a very different story than what he told police.

He denied ever being on a boat with Stacks saying they never rented a boat because neither of them could swim. He claimed he was at work on Jan. 1, 2021.

“The last time I saw Jessica was a few days before then,” Baggett said.

Her boyfriend, 45-year-old Jerry Baggett, told police Stacks got out of the boat and he never saw her again.

But when NewsNation spoke with Baggett for this story, he gave a very different account, which contradicted everything reported about Stacks disappearance.

The Stacks family marked the second anniversary of her disappearance with a vigil.

Stacks’ mother, Cathy Paden, helped friends and family release sky lanterns on New Year’s Day to honor her daughter’s memory. Balloons reading “Let this light represent our love and compassion. We will never forget you” launched into the sky and candles floated on the Tallahatchie river where Stacks was reportedly seen last.

The Charley Project added the case.

He now denies the boat trip, but LE stated they found evidence that backs up going out on the boat. BUT using a shovel as an oar? I suppose its possible, but if going out on a fast creek or river I want a motor and definitely one that can get me back against the current.

..... BUT using a shovel as an oar? I suppose its possible, but if going out on a fast creek or river I want a motor and definitely one that can get me back against the current.
This is not about whether I think JB was or wasn't on the river. Its just for those wondering if "anyone" would hunt wild hogs while floating in a motorless boat down a flooded river, with a shovel for an oar. Yes they do, and even the local sheriff was quoted as saying "he'd heard it was something people did." (I posted the MSM link long ago. Not sure how to find it.)

So the Little Tallahatchie River originally twisted and turned through a swampy river bottom a mile wide. Later a ditch was dug for the river (now called the Tallahatchie Canal) to flow in, somewhat drying up the river bottom and allowing parts of it to be farmed. The dirt from digging the ditch was piled beside the Canal forming a bit of a dike on either side about 5 ft high.

Feral hogs live in these bottoms, and as they are an invasive, destructive animal they can be hunted year round with only a few restrictions. (Hunting them from a motorized boat is NOT legal, for example). The hogs are fairly inaccessible to hunters in the bottoms, excerpt during floods. Then the hogs have to scramble to the only ground above water - the piles of dirt beside the canal. So if a hunter is brave/dumb enough to float, motorless, down the swirling canal, they could legally shoot hogs stranded on the bank/dikes.

A shovel is about the only useful tool to have along. The goal is to enter the water at one bridge, float to next bridge several miles downstream (without sinking), then maneuver to one bank or the other and get out. There's no need to "row" anywhere, the max width near Etta appears to be 200 ft. A shovel is plenty good for padding to the side when done, and it's absolutely needed to stop and hold the boat at the bank. At flood stage there's no bank to slide a boat up on. Just the steeply angled dike. So one would lean out and stab into the mud with the shovel as you swirled by and hopefully, you can hold the boat there long enough to scramble out. The photo below shows a spot on the bank where a boater could attempt to get out near the bridge at Etta.

East bank of Little Tallahatchie at Etta, MS. Water at 20.9 ft.
374364A7-31C1-4F8E-98A1-1EF532FACBD7.jpeg

For anyone curious about the appearance and depth of the Little Tallahatchie, this is taken from the Etta bridge looking upstream. It is near is lowest depth (8.8 ft):
39F7E832-0E6F-42EC-8999-B9C38D3B3304.jpeg

This is the same location looking upstream from the Etta bridge, with the water depth at (20.9 ft).
BE3468DD-182E-43F0-95D9-AC9DB4BCE63B.jpeg
Photos from here: National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service

And here is video of it at 26 ft., Feb 12th, 2020. Flood stage is 25 ft.
This is taken at the CR46 bridge, about 4 miles upstream from the bridge in the photos above:

Last edited:
Every New Year's I think of Jessica. It's been three years now. I didn't know JB had changed his story. Just wow. He's on camera with a boat at 5:30am, then says he never took out a boat. There's someone on camera at the gas station sticking their head out for the camera. That person is either stupid, stupidly loyal, complicit, or afraid for their life. I don't remember seeing the gloves up in the tree, and what is that black thing stuck in the crook of the tree in the video? I think something happened to Jessica New Year's Eve, probably in the presence of one other person. MOO. I can see how LE has to wait to find something, and I hope they're actively looking. Hopefully they'll eventually pin something else on him and/or his accomplice (surely they know who that probably is) and be able to get one of them to confess to something. I am going to guess Jessica's body is somewhere between wherever they were on New Year's Eve and the boat place. Unfortunately, since the river was up, the river would have been a good place to dispose of her body (I apologize to anyone who knew Jessica if that sounds insensitive). That would cover the original story of the boat and make it really hard for her body to be found. MOO. I'm hoping this will be the year her mom gets closure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679
Back