Found Safe MS - Nathan Covarrubias, 14, autistic, missing from boarding school, Walnut, 29 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In my heart, I am trying not to judge, I am sure they did what they thought was best for him, but it's hard for me.
This place is surrounded by woods and more woods. I can only hope and pray he is finding ways to survive and is found soon. :(
I'm sure your post is fine (not a mod). I 'm also confused as to what a intellectually delayed kid was doing with kids with problem behavior. I remember hearing my brother with PDD-NOS would be attending a school that was known as a school for 'troubled youths' and blowing up over it. I thought he was going to be thrown to the wolves, so to speak; turns out there was another school with the same name for kids on the spectrum, similar to the one I attended. He actually did pretty well, there.

And those woods, the rural setting, it reminds me so much of Serenity Dennard. I really don't like when facilities like this are so isolated, instead of being in the middle of society where the residents can mingle and be out among their neighbors. It feels like squirrelling people away, and there isn't that network of vigilant neighbors.

I've been lucky enough to work up to living on my own, but not everyone has that option, and not everyone has power over where they live. This is just another example of how risky it is when there are so few eyes around.

God, I hate it. I hope Nathan is found safe, but it's been days and I don't know if he could fend for himself.

This is my first time to post on Websleuths, but my youngest son is autistic with intellectual disabilities, and sensory processing disorder. Also, we live about an hour away from where Summits View Ranch is located. I have not stopped thinking about Nathan since I became aware he was missing.
Yesterday, I saw a post that listed items needed and where to drop them off. I immediately knew I wanted to help. Around 3:30pm, my mother, my youngest son, and myself, loaded my car and made the trip to Walnut, MS. The entire trip I couldn't wrap my head around many things;
(I am not judging his parents or any parents situation on handling hard decisions concerning their children. These are only my thoughts as a mother)
The school is in Walnut, MS and Nathans home/family live in Texas. (I could not be that far away from my child but I understand other parents may be able too).
Summits View Ranch is a boarding school for ”at-risk, rebellious, and troubled teen boys.”
Nothing I have read indicates they specialize solely on special needs children.
Nathan is autistic, bipolar, and has disruptive mood dysregulation.
We all know teens in general can be assholes.
The hardest part for me to understand is why his parents decided on this boarding school? There are plenty of schools that solely focus on special needs children with psychologist and teachers trained for their needs.
This sweet boy was hundreds of miles away from his family.
He was surrounded by ”normal” rebellious teen boys.
Who could he relate too?
We all know what ”mean kids” do to ”different kids” in regular schools!
In my heart, I am trying not to judge, I am sure they did what they thought was best for him, but it's hard for me.
This place is surrounded by woods and more woods. I can only hope and pray he is finding ways to survive and is found soon. :(
P.S. If this is against rules, I sincerely apologize.
MOO?? Is this right?;)
Also not knowing the specifics of this situation, I can say with 100% certainty that there are in fact parents and uneducated "care providers", as well as case managers who just aren't doing their jobs correctly, that truly do not understand the difference between "troubled/rebellious teens" and the needs of an intellectually or developmentally disabled person. There really are people, (like the criminal liar who was awarded guardianship of my son), who don't even believe there is such thing as sensory processing disorder.
Really, I am just angry that someone, or combination of someones, dropped the ball and put this beautiful child at risk.

This is my first time to post on Websleuths, but my youngest son is autistic with intellectual disabilities, and sensory processing disorder. Also, we live about an hour away from where Summits View Ranch is located. I have not stopped thinking about Nathan since I became aware he was missing.
Yesterday, I saw a post that listed items needed and where to drop them off. I immediately knew I wanted to help. Around 3:30pm, my mother, my youngest son, and myself, loaded my car and made the trip to Walnut, MS. The entire trip I couldn't wrap my head around many things;
(I am not judging his parents or any parents situation on handling hard decisions concerning their children. These are only my thoughts as a mother)
The school is in Walnut, MS and Nathans home/family live in Texas. (I could not be that far away from my child but I understand other parents may be able too).
Summits View Ranch is a boarding school for ”at-risk, rebellious, and troubled teen boys.”
The hardest part for me to understand is why his parents decided on this boarding school? There are plenty of schools that solely focus on special needs children with psychologist and teachers trained for their needs.
Who could he relate too?
MOO?? Is this right?;)
Wonderful first post. Agree with everything you have said!

I'm sure your post is fine (not a mod). I 'm also confused as to what a intellectually delayed kid was doing with kids with problem behavior. I remember hearing my brother with PDD-NOS would be attending a school that was known as a school for 'troubled youths' and blowing up over it. I thought he was going to be thrown to the wolves, so to speak; turns out there was another school with the same name for kids on the spectrum, similar to the one I attended. He actually did pretty well, there.

And those woods, the rural setting, it reminds me so much of Serenity Dennard. I really don't like when facilities like this are so isolated, instead of being in the middle of society where the residents can mingle and be out among their neighbors. It feels like squirrelling people away, and there isn't that network of vigilant neighbors.

I've been lucky enough to work up to living on my own, but not everyone has that option, and not everyone has power over where they live. This is just another example of how risky it is when there are so few eyes around.

God, I hate it. I hope Nathan is found safe, but it's been days and I don't know if he could fend for himself.
I hope he is found soon too!! I am sure his parents had their reasons and best intentions. I feel bad for questioning their reasons, but I know we all question things we don't understand.

Also not knowing the specifics of this situation, I can say with 100% certainty that there are in fact parents and uneducated "care providers", as well as case managers who just aren't doing their jobs correctly, that truly do not understand the difference between "troubled/rebellious teens" and the needs of an intellectually or developmentally disabled person. There really are people, (like the criminal liar who was awarded guardianship of my son), who don't even believe there is such thing as sensory processing disorder.
Really, I am just angry that someone, or combination of someones, dropped the ball and put this beautiful child at risk.
Yes, this is exactly another reason I would never be able to live so far away, if I had to seek help for my son. Maybe they knew another parent who sent their kid to the some place? All the questions I have...

Who could he relate too?
MOO?? Is this right?;)
Thanks for doing something so helpful. I think donating money, manpower, or resources is the best thing to do. I recently suggested in another thread that donations in memory of crime victims might be better than leaving stuffed animals or other items.

I understand and agree with your post, but remember, Autism is a Spectrum and he may have been high functioning. It’s possible it was determined his behavior issues warranted the placement.

I don’t understand how a place like that could have any doors where he could exit without card access for the doors. He may have been clever and taken a chance when he saw one.

Thanks for doing something so helpful. I think donating money, manpower, or resources is the best thing to do. I recently suggested in another thread that donations in memory of crime victims might be better than leaving stuffed animals or other items.

I understand and agree with your post, but remember, Autism is a Spectrum and he may have been high functioning. It’s possible it was determined his behavior issues warranted the placement.

I don’t understand how a place like that could have any doors where he could exit without card access for the doors. He may have been clever and taken a chance when he saw one.
i think his mother has said he was "intellectually below normal" so i doubt he is high functioning. I'm also wondering if he might have a genetic disorder due to his facial features and head shape? (im not trying to be rude, theres just many disorders that also impact the bones in the face) Personally I cant see either how a facility for non-disabled boys with behavioral problems is a good place for this boy but I don't know know his family or his medical history so I will try not to cast any judgement.
I hope the facility is held accountable for Nathan's escape :( im guessing the facility wasn't set up for the care and consistent supervision that Nathan probably needed, though.

Thank you. I agree and sometimes our children know more than we think they do. I would like to understand how he was able to get out too! It's good to know the FBI is involved now!

i think his mother has said he was "intellectually below normal" so i doubt he is high functioning. I'm also wondering if he might have a genetic disorder due to his facial features and head shape? (im not trying to be rude, theres just many disorders that also impact the bones in the face) Personally I cant see either how a facility for non-disabled boys with behavioral problems is a good place for this boy but I don't know know his family or his medical history so I will try not to cast any judgement.
I hope the facility is held accountable for Nathan's escape :( im guessing the facility wasn't set up for the care and consistent supervision that Nathan probably needed, though.
It is definitely hard to not question certain things. They should be held accountable, especially since it took them so long to contact the parents and law enforcement!

very, very worrying things in this article :( including,
“I became aware from the CPS worker that Nathan was on top of their list” for concerns related to “inappropriate discipline,” Covarrubias told the Daily Journal.
If there wasn't that surveillance footage of Nathan leaving the property, I would think that LE might have to consider a 'cover up' from the ranch. (all MOO)

It's pretty weird that the home notified the parents via text that he was missing. Not even a phone call??
Yes and the picture from the video surveillance of him walking away from the property was in the 10am hour, people from the school said they didn't realize he was missing until the hours between 1:30pm-3:30pm, they did not contact law enforcement until 7pm. They notified the parent via TEXT MESSAGE AT 9:30pm!!!! Parents did not see the text until early the next morning and that is when they quickly packed and drove from Texas to Walnut MS! I would have stormed into that school with so much RAGE! This boy was failed in so many ways!!!:mad::(

“I became aware from the CPS worker that Nathan was on top of their list” for concerns related to “inappropriate discipline,” Covarrubias told the Daily Journal.
If there wasn't that surveillance footage of Nathan leaving the property, I would think that LE might have to consider a 'cover up' from the ranch. (all MOO)
It is heartbreaking to see how much they failed this boy!

oh no. :(

would someone mind summarizing the article? (i'm in the eu so it's unavailable, but i was born and raised in M, not too far from this situation..)

I keep checking for updates. It does not look good at all! I feel like we keep getting tiny pieces of a big puzzle!!:(
Yep something is very wrong with that place how did cps not shut them down. They seem shady as heck . At first glance of their website they seem like a religious behaviour modification setting but the more we hear about it the more disturbing it seems.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clarice34ON4ill
Back