GUILTY MT - Beverly, 79, Gregory Giannonatti, 57, murdered, Deer Lodge, 24 Oct 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My biggest question is: Who was the mystery man???

Was Beverly a very private person? Or had she mentioned that she had a new friend or love interest?
I'm guessing either the mystery man paid for their meal with cash, or Beverly paid. If he used a credit or debit card, the card holder's identity can be sussed out in a few minutes via the system.
I wonder if they have done any composite sketches of the guy to try to identify him.
If she had multiple rental properties, he could have been a prospective renter, or even someone looking to buy or sell a rental property.... or pretending to be.... especially if word had gotten out about the gold bar.
I wonder if her phone records show communication with this mystery man before their lunch date. But maybe she primarily used a landline, and only had the cell for emergencies and didn't keep it on all the time.
Did ANYone see her leave with the guy? We still have no idea if she drove herself there and then went back home in her own vehicle only to disappear later. He could have followed her home and then she could have agreed to go somewhere else with him. Maybe she met with him to see if she thought he was "safe" then after lunch agreed to let him drive her somewhere.

moo

All great questions and insights CookieM. It has been reported that both Beverly and Gregory are very private people. The woman who is interviewed in this article: http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/sear...arance-of-mother-son-from-deer-lodge/36278610 made some comments on social media that indicated she did not know who the man was. That was early on in the investigation and there really haven't been any comments since. I suspect that LE have identified him, since they are no longer asking the public for help.

Yesterday Trigger posted a link to show a 2010 land transfer. However, if you do a search for their last name it shows a ton of Warranty Deed transfers over the last 10 or 14 years. Is this something normal for property owners? http://ssp.stparchive.com/search.php?newspaperCode=SSP

A warranty deed is basically a guarantee that you have clear title and own the property. Those transfers are the buying and selling of various pieces of property in the area. There were some in 1999, that I believe are related to the divorce, but the others just normal buys and sells.

I'm having trouble deciding if all of this silence in the last week is a good thing or a bad thing. About a week ago they announced they were about to get warrants and start digging into phone records, e-mails, and conducting searches. I ran a search this morning and pretty much concluded that very few articles have been published about this case in the last week. Are they on to someone yet ? Have they conducted top to bottom searches of the properties in question ? Have any surveillance videos been found ? Also, as you mentioned, why no composite sketches of this mystery man ?

It's actually pretty typical for there to be a media blackout once the FBI gets involved. I think they came on around Nov. 4th or 5th, which is pretty much the same time any additional details and information dried up and everything went mute. Prior to that, the local sheriff was providing all the details and updates almost on a daily basis. You can pretty much bet that the FBI has told the local sheriff to keep his trap shut and not leak out any information.

It's probably good they asked for the FBI's help, if for no other reason than all the resources they have available to investigate these crimes. There's a good chance we may not hear much else until there's an arrest in the case, or until they ask for help in locating a suspect. Even that would be rare, since that's what they have the Marshals Service for.

I wonder what the locals discuss every morning while they're eating gravy and biscuits at the local diner ?

I think you are right, the FBI getting involved is when they stopped giving out any info. I've heard that they are in a 'sensitive' part of the investigation. Whatever that means. I bet they know who is responsible but are waiting to get all their ducks in a row before making an arrest. Sadly, I think Beverly and Gregory may never be found. That part of the country is vast and there are so many places to hide a body.

I believe they had a big snow storm come through in the past few days, so they might not do any more searching until the snow melts in Spring.

It is very sad...I think Beverly and Gregory faced their deaths over the gold bar and some form of a robbery scheme.

It is very sad...I think Beverly and Gregory faced their deaths over the gold bar and some form of a robbery scheme.

I think you are right. So very sad.

Does anybody know how you go about turning a gold bar into cash? Is there any way to trace it?

Surely there's a way to trace it but I don't have a clue. My daughter is a banker...I need to ask her about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if the gold was stolen they would have to melt it to be of any use to them. The bars have I think registered numbers.

I think you are right. So very sad.

Does anybody know how you go about turning a gold bar into cash? Is there any way to trace it?

It can be traced with a serial number.

Also, if a person did want to trade in their bullion bar for cash, there would be a 30 day hold on the item, with ID information taken, and that company that the bar was sold to, would file police reports, to make sure of the status of the item taken in.

IMOO.

ETA:
Also depending on the item and amount a 1099-B might be required to be filed.

IMOO.

This is a very interesting case.
I have been reading over the last few days and got caught up now.
I appreciate everyone's in put and thought process.
I hope there is news soon.

I wonder, if they did meet up with some foul person who wanted that gold, if that person or persons knew about 30 day holds, serial numbers, etc. I suppose there are all sorts of illegal ways to sell gold though, that don't require any kind of ID, waiting periods, etc.

Thanks for your info on cashing in gold, Treelights!

So do we have a really dumb crook who now has a large gold bar with no clue how to turn it into cash? Or somebody sophisticated with experience in such things and the means/connections to convert the gold without being detected?

They could fence the gold and still get half of what it's worth. I'm sure that was probably considered during the planning and scheming to get it, unless we are dealing with some half-tard criminals here.

I'm more curious what size gold bar we're talking about. They can vary widely in size and weight, with some being as small as 10 or 20 grams.

Also, any confirmation from anyone on whether that gold bar was even the real thing or not ? Wouldn't it be something if this entire scheme revolved around an amusement park novelty ?

Thanks for your info on cashing in gold, Treelights!

So do we have a really dumb crook who now has a large gold bar with no clue how to turn it into cash? Or somebody sophisticated with experience in such things and the means/connections to convert the gold without being detected?

I do want to clarify, that I don't know if this ingot has a serial number on it from a company, OR if someone took their gold scraps, what have you, and melted them into a bullion bar with no serial number. (It could have been raw gold, and had to be purified and gone to a smelter, etc.)
I wish there was more information on the bullion bar.

IMOO.

They could fence the gold and still get half of what it's worth. I'm sure that was probably considered during the planning and scheming to get it, unless we are dealing with some half-tard criminals here.

I'm more curious what size gold bar we're talking about. They can vary widely in size and weight, with some being as small as 10 or 20 grams.

Also, any confirmation from anyone on whether that gold bar was even the real thing or not ? Wouldn't it be something if this entire scheme revolved around an amusement park novelty ?

I agree, I wish we knew more about the weight. How many troy ounces?
For the gold to be mentioned in the media, it would seem like it would be a substantial amount, imoo.

There was a rumor on fb or maybe under an article early on that it is worth almost half a million $. But this has never been confirmed by anyone.

There was a rumor on fb or maybe under an article early on that it is worth almost half a million $. But this has never been confirmed by anyone.

A safety deposit box would have been a great place to store that.
I wonder where it was stored After the cleaning lady called Beverly to pick it up?
It is gone, media reports.
Could it be in a safety deposit box somewhere that hasn't been found yet?
Maybe at a different bank, somewhere else?

IMOO.

I do want to clarify, that I don't know if this ingot has a serial number on it from a company, OR if someone took their gold scraps, what have you, and melted them into a bullion bar with no serial number. (It could have been raw gold, and had to be purified and gone to a smelter, etc.)
I wish there was more information on the bullion bar.
IMOO.

Or something that has been in the family for a long time and there were never any official records.

As Elainera mentioned it is rumored to be worth almost half a million. We don't have any details on it at all, but it is significant enough that LE suspected it could be tied to the disappearance right from the start.

This thread is getting over 1,000 views a day and has had a lot of visitors. I wish some of the local people would sign up and join the conversation. We really could use some local insights.

I still don't understand the towels, and pillows found in bags. (The second time the police came to Greg's house.)
And the crock pot left on.
If the crock pot was for that night's dinner, I would think he would have eaten it earlier, unless
it was being prepared for the next days meal. (overnight.)
Also, a neighbor saw him drive quickly around ten pm from his home.
I am wondering if the neighbor actually Saw Greg, or saw Greg's vehicle, thinking it was Greg
that was driving?
If it wasn't Greg, that could explain why the roast was still cooking... although, wasn't Greg's house
locked up then? Would another person Lock up?? (This would be the first time the police came to Greg's house.)
Lots of interesting angles to think about...
IMOO.

I am traveling so have been trying to keep up with this thread on my phone.

N o r m a l l y I d o n o t p a y m u c h a t t e n t i o n t o t h e n e w s , b u t t h i s o n e
c a u g h t m y a t t e n t i o n b e c a u s e o f t h e L E r e s p o n s e . T h e s h e r i f f s a y s a p e r s o n o f
i n t e r e s t i s a n " u n k n o w n m a n " , b u t d o e s n o t o f f e r u p a d e s c r i p t i o n s o t h e p u b l i c c a n a s s i s t i n i d e n t i f y i n g t h a t m a n . H e w e n t o n t o s a y t h e m i s s i n g p e o p l e k e p t t o t h e m s e l v e s . I t s e e m e d t o m e l i k e h e w a s p u t t i n g o u t m i s i n f o r m a t i o n , l i k e h e w a s t r y i n g t o d o w n p l a y t h e p r o m i n e n c e o f t h i s w o m a n , h e r c o n n e c t i o n s . M y i n t e r e s t i n c r e a s e d w h e n i t w a s r e p o r t e d t h e F B I w a s i n v o l v e d . T his leads me to believe there is more involved here than just one gold bar.

And, it leads me to believe the sheriff and FBI know the identity of the unknown man.

W h a t a l s o i s m i s s i n g i n t h i s h i g h p r o f i l e c a s e i s r e p o r t e r s t a l k i n g t o n e i g h b o r s , f r i e n d s , e t c . M o n t a n a h a s a v e r y s m a l l p o p u l a t i o n . B e v e r l y , a t s o m e p o i n t , w o r k e d a t t h e c o u n t y . S h e w o u l d h a v e k n o w n a l o t o f u n s a v o r y c h a r a c t e r s . That is just the way it is here. B e v e r l y w e n t t o t h e p o s t o f f i c e " e v e r y d a y " ( w h y ) . S h e p l a y e d B i n g o , s h e w e n t t o p a r t i e s , s h e w e n t t o c h u r c h , s h e o w n e d a b u s i n e s s , s h e o w n e d r e n t a l p r o p e r t i e s . N o t e x a c t l y a private person as described by the sheriff.

D e e r L o d g e h a s a v e r y l o w r e n t a l v a c a n c y r a t e , n i l . T h e r e a s o n b e i n g t h a t t h e s t a t e p r i s o n i s l o c a t e d t h e r e a n d w h e n a m a n i s i n c a r c e r a t e d , t h e s i g n i f i c a n t o t h e r s e e k s r e n t a l h o u s i n g t h e r e . Q u i t e p o s s i b l y a large % o f h e r t e n a n t s o v e r t h e y e a r s h a v e b e e n c o n n e c t e d t o t h e p r i s o n . A s a r e n t a l p r o p e r t y o w n e r , s h e w o u l d h a v e h a d a c o u p l e o f m e n a n d a w o m a n t o m a i n t a i n a n d c l e a n h e r u n i t s . T h e p e o p l e w o r k i n g o n / c l e a n i n g t h e e x' s h o u s e w o u l d h a v e b e e n t h e s e w o r k e r s . I d o n o t b e l i e v e s h e w a s " r e n o v a t i n g " t h e h o u s e t o m o v e i n t o i t . S h e a n d h e r s o n w o u l d h a v e b e e n p r e p a r i n g f o r a n e s t a t e s a l e . H e r w o r k e r s w o u l d h a v e b e e n t h e r e h e l p i n g t h e m w h e n t h e g o l d b a r a n d g o d o n l y k n o w s w h a t e l s e w a s f o u n d .

L a s t n i g h t , I u s e d m y p h o n e t o s e a r c h f o r " D e e r L o d g e e s t a t e s a l e s L a r k s p u r " a n d c a m e u p w i t h " M L S 7 0 0 0 1 5 8 8 7 9 5 5 " , 8 6 L a r k s p u r R d , h o m e s . c o m , l a s t u p d a t e d 1 0 / 1 9 / 1 5 Isn't that the address? I w o u l d b e i n t e r e s t e d i n k n o w i n g w h o w a s g o i n g t o c o n d u c t t h e e s t a t e s a l e .

Is the break-in at Greg's house more misinformation? It makes no sense that the sheriff would not have secured the house and/or taken the cell phone. The details themselves make no sense. We have a lot of break-ins. The usual story goes : the thieves enter during the day, stage their bounty by the back door (inside, not outside) and come back with a vehicle to get it under cover of darkness.

I am almost certain there are cell towers within a mile of Deer Lodge, thinking they are on the north side of I-90. If this thread is still active next week, I will check it out when I return.

I checked Peoplefinders for Greg and it looks like there is a Greg who lived in Rocklin, CA, Deer Lodge, MT and has a current? address in Roseville.

I am not in Deer Lodge, but close in Southwestern MT. I would like to know if Beverly and her son were dealing in antiques, if that is the reason for her trips to the post office.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xhononibb
Back