MT MT - Glen Allen Walls, 17, Malmstrom Air Force Base, 10 Oct 1972

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

Glen's photo is shown age-progressed to 63 years. (AP completed 2/7/18)
Glen Allen Walls
Cascade County, Montana
17 year old white male

Dental information / charting is currently not available

DNA Status: Sample is currently not available

Fingerprint information is currently not available

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/37983/

Glen Allen Walls is a U.S. Air Force Airman who went missing when he failed to show for duty at 8:00 a.m. on October 10, 1972 to his job at Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana. Glen Walls was reported missing on November 8, 1972. Glen Walls may have been driving a 1966 Volkswagon with Montana license plate 2-57963. Glen Allen Walls is 17 years old as of the date he went missing in October, 1972. Glen Walls is described as a white male standing 5 feet 11 inches tall and weighing approximately 143 pounds. Glen Walls has brown hair, a brown left eye and a gray right eye. Glen Walls has a scar over his right eye.

Read more: http://www.missingveterans.com/1972/glen-allen-walls/

17 years old... pretty young for an airman. Wonder if he had regrets and decided to go AWOL.

Just a little bit more information on this case. Glen apparently told acquaintances that he was heading to the Kings Hill Scenic Byway area (Meagher and Cascade Counties, Montana), the Highwood Mountains or the Holter Dam in Wolf Creek (Lewis and Clark County, Montana).

Glen Walls was last seen on the 8th of October according to the Great Falls Tribune. He was accompanied by a friend (Steven W Barnhill, 19, Merritt Island FL), who also appears to be missing. I have been unable to locate any information on the friend, and I am not sure if he is still missing or if there is just no case file for him. Glen Walls is originally from the San Antonio area in Texas.

In 1981, the Abandoned Property Bureau of the Montana Department of Revenue listed Glen Walls as the owner of an abandoned property, indicating that no one appeared to be residing at the residence.

Glen Walls was last seen on the 8th of October according to the Great Falls Tribune. He was accompanied by a friend (Steven W Barnhill, 19, Merritt Island FL), who also appears to be missing. I have been unable to locate any information on the friend, and I am not sure if he is still missing or if there is just no case file for him. Glen Walls is originally from the San Antonio area in Texas.

Steven Wayne Barnhill is listed as dead, with a death date of 9 October 1972, in the US Social Security Death Index on Ancestry. So it does seem that he remains missing as well.

Also, there was another missing airman from Malmstrom AFB at the time of their disappearance (case is unrelated to Walls/Barnhill) who received full coverage until he was located, which heightens my belief that if either of them had been located, it would have been covered by local newspapers and media.

Hmmm. If he was active duty at 17 he must have enlisted as he was too young for the draft. Plus the war was largely over by late 1972.
I'm inclined to say this is not the same guy.

Glen Walls, Steven Barnhill 10-20-1972 - Newspapers.com

It appears that Walls and Barnhill were indeed missing with the brown VW. Two guys missing with a car that wasn't found sounds like water might be involved. All their possible destinations appear to be desolate, with roads with sheer drops, as well.
Maybe they could get some drones out there to look for the car. Vegetation could have covered it if its in the woods on a cliff but if it went into a creek, mountain run off or river, maybe its still viewable from the air.

Glen Allen Walls
  • walls_glen.jpg
  • walls_glen_ap.jpg
Glen, circa 1972

• Missing Since 10/10/1972
  • Missing From Malmstrom, Montana
  • Classification Endangered Runaway
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 11/23/1954 (65)
  • Age 17 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'11, 143 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Glen has a scar over his right eye.
Details of Disappearance
Glen disappeared from Malmstrom, Montana on October 10, 1972. He was stationed at the Air Force base there, and failed to report to duty at 8:00 a.m. Authorities believe he left of his own accord.

Glen may be driving a 1966 Volkswagen with the Montana license plate number 2-57963. He may have traveled to Canada. Few details are available in his case.
Investigating Agency
  • Air Force Office of Special Investigations 571-305-8620
Source Information

E6D098F1-1E76-4D7F-8ED8-F2797A6FA463.jpeg
Name:
Glen Walls
Estimated Age: 16
Birth Year: abt 1956
Yearbook Date: 1972
School: John Jay High School
School Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA

This is a little confusing to me. Seems like there are two missing boys here? One not listed in any public databases.
Sure look like it. I did a map with what I think are the locations mentioned. I am not familiar with Montana tho.

If we knew how long they were expected to be gone and what they were expected to be doing (hiking, day trip, etc) it would possibly determine which destination they may have taken.

upload_2020-12-14_19-18-15.png

It looks like he may have fled to Canada. Maybe to avoid Vietnam?

Clipping from Nanaimo Daily News - Newspapers.com

Very odd that his companion is listed as deceased, though.

Clipping from Nanaimo Daily News - Newspapers.com

Verbiage under the clipping seems to be a combo of a few different cases:

Conditional Discharge For Assaulting Police "I don't take too kindly to people who assault a police officer," Judge Stan Wardill said today in provincial court. Judge Wardill was speaking to Glen Walls, 18, of 1859 Meredith, who appeared for a pre-sentence report following his guilty plea Aug. 16 to a charge of assaulting a police officer Aug. 9. Walls was given probation for one year, for a conditional discharge if he behaves. He was restricted to Vancouver Island unless he obtains permission from his probation officer and was told he could not use illegal drugs and he could use alcohol in moderation. this court isn't being very lenient." He fined Badyal $350 and banned him from driving in Canada for three months. Court was told Badyal's breathalyzer reading registered .18 per cent. When the accused asked the judge if the ban included driving to and from work, the judge said yes. Badyal asked how he was to get to work, a distance of about six miles. "I suggest you get a bicycle", the judge answered. Norm Jennison, 18, of 742 Connaught, elected trial by magistrate when he pleaded not

upload_2020-12-14_21-2-40.png

The newspaper clippings are what really confused me. My gut tells me they left of their own accord. How or why, I’m not sure. I don’t understand why there isn’t more information about Barnhill though. Based on the things I found, or lack thereof, he was never found either. Dead or alive. It’s all very bizarre.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back