Identified! MT - Missoula Co, 'Chryssie Crystal Creek' AsianFem 3UFMT, 20-35, Sep'85 Janet Lee Lucas

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This was in my Facebook feed today. I can’t find much info on Janet, so she was last seen in Sandpoint ID in 1983 and her remains were found in Missoula MT in 1985, when was it noticed she was missing? Why wasn’t she reported missing?

I’m so glad her family has her back, especially her so.

Oh wow! Thank you @othram! Guess my gut feeling was correct after all haha (had this feeling about 2 weeks ago).

Rest in peace Janet Lee Lucas. I'm glad her family (especially her son) and friends got the closure they deserved.

I am taken by surprise that she was from the US, when her dental work led detectives astray all along. Perhaps not she, but her dentist was educated in Asia.

I find it so heartbreaking that her family searched and wondered all this time, and she was found just 3 hours away from where she was last seen.

Rest peacefully now Janet.

I’ve gotta say, nothing really checked out (physically) from an ethnicity checkpoint... but I do see a resemblance in facial features/structure. I know it doesn’t matter now, but I’m always curious about post-identifications.

17CB58C6-4203-4886-A0B1-B395D450586A.jpeg

ETA: Actually, Lois got it REALLY right. I’m amazed.

Last edited:
I am taken by surprise that she was from the US, when her dental work led detectives astray all along. Perhaps not she, but her dentist was educated in Asia.

I find it so heartbreaking that her family searched and wondered all this time, and she was found just 3 hours away from where she was last seen.

Not the first case like that. So many UID were thought to be foreign because of their excellent or likewise very bad dental work... i think Mary Silvani was such a case and Jim Freund was, as well. Countless others I do not recall the names now.

The last Nance victim got home!

Wow, well done, Othram! You are doing groundbreaking work. So many ID's lately!

And on a side note, she was anything but Asian. The limits of anthropology.

Is that confirmed that she wasn't Asian? It's possible she could just be mixed but white passing. There's a lot of people who are half-Asian who look completely white. It's not that uncommon.

I am so pleased Janet has her name back...and her family, especially her son (and now grandchildren) now know she did not walk out of their lives intentionally.

While I am pleased that Janet has come home, this is yet another circumstance where a victim was believed to have been foreign or of a different race. I think the problem was due to Janet's skull's shape. I believe that East Asians have narrower noses (don't quote me on this, as I read this many years ago). If an unidentified body happens to be skeletonized, then I take factors such as race or gender with a pinch of salt.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back