MT MT - Paul Batson, 45, Stillwater Co, 29 Apr 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My security cams are just like this, but mine have a brief "reset" period after recording for 30 seconds during which anything going on within range of the cam is not captured. That was super unhelpful a while back when someone stole a package off my front porch; the first clip showed a car pulling up to the stop sign in front of my house, pausing, then suddenly backing up toward my driveway. The next clip showed the car pulling up to the stop sign again, but the package that had been visible on my porch in the first clip was gone. The actual theft wasn't recorded at all. :facepalm:

OMG. I’ll have to test that on mine. Probably the same. I’m pretty sure on mine, only one camera can record at a time. So, if it’s recording movement on the front door, it won’t pick up someone at the back door.

MOO

Someone posted upthread (apologies can’t find it quick) that as someone who loved their car maybe he parked there right in middle of little town, and went for a walk. Google tells me it’s under a mile to the bridge that crosses the river. With it in full flood and running - could he have slipped in ? Is there steep sides anywhere. Walking along the bridge it doesn’t appear so but maybe someone familiar could elaborate further.
ETA - also do rivers there flow quickly and far if this was the case ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no indication the Yellowstone reached a floodstage at Reed Point on April 29th, even though it was definitely spiking in height and discharge over the course of that day. I can't see a scenario that Paul could be accidentally washed off that bridge. But the Yellowstone is a deep and fast river. It isn't like a creek you can just walk across at any point. If he walked over the bridge and was hiking along the riverbank? Yeah, I think he could have slipped in. That's why the SAR map indicates water searches for a few miles downstream.

I can't speak to the question of future planned searches. My understanding is that along with local law enforcement, the Stillwater County Search and Rescue is running the searches that have been conducted so far. They are mostly volunteer, but selected and specially trained.
http://www.stillwatercountysar.org
IMO The question of a call for public volunteers is tricky in remote areas of Montana and along high waters. Untrained volunteers may have the best intentions but without SAR training and experience could become a major liability and even put their own lives at risk, requiring rescuing themselves. That applies to searching from the Reed Point/car parking location.

As for Bozeman and Paul's possible interaction with strangers in town and/or at/around the Public Library, I think a volunteer search about town or outreach kind of effort is very attainable. For example on a Sunday afternoon at the library an information table or some attempt to raise awareness of his disappearance and maybe jog memories. Replicate the situation as it existed at 4:00 PM on April 29th? For sure this is something Paul's family would have to request and work with local LE to coordinate and conduct. Paul's family has certainly had contact with the Bozeman Police Department and if they thought any useful information could possibly come from something like that, there are local people who would be willing to help.

Excellent points, Loreet. Stillwater Search and Rescue, Absarokee Search Dogs and Western MT Search Dogs have all been involved in the search. I was in Billings and vicinity the weekend Paul went missing; the Yellowstone was fast and high and remains so what with all the recent rain. No place for volunteers unless they have substantial experienced in water survival and rescue.

Prayers and love for Paul and his family.

https://www.stillwatercountynews.co...earchedstill-no-sign-man-missing-more-2-weeks

For those who have questions about the Yellowstone River, Reed Point, etc. this is a handy website for zooming in and out:
http://www.boatus.com/ramps/listing_detail.asp?slug=ramp/Yellowstone-River,-Indian-Fort-Fishing-Access-Site/

I'm not sure when this image was taken but the river is definitely higher right now. The roads and trails are likely muddy. Search and Rescue have been all around Reed Point, to the north and south of the river, downstream, and have thus far found no sign of Paul.

How large is Batavia? In terms of population? I asked previously if anyone knew if Paul was a Fenn treasure seeker, but no one responded. I ask again because Batavia, Illinois sounded familiar to me. Last year Jeff Murphy from Batavia went missing and was discovered to have been accidentally killed in Yellowstone Park searching for the Fenn treasure chest.
http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/man-who-died-in-yellowstone-in-was-looking-for-hidden/article_a437acea-a0e9-5aaf-a24b-ee25becc308a.html

A freak accident occurring to someone walking down established roads and trails in a place like Reed Point would be extremely unusual. And it is likely he would have been found quickly. That is why so many websleuths are hypothesizing about nefarious human interference. But if something -- fishing, treasure-hunting, something else?? -- took Paul off established tracks and trails, maybe down to the riverbank, the likelihood of an accident increases exponentially.

eta: If there is any such additional information, hopefully it has been disclosed to LE and SAR. It would make a huge difference targeting the search effort.

No news about Paul whatsoever... no new MSM, no new social media posts. I'm at a loss. His poor kids and girlfriend...

How large is Batavia? In terms of population? I asked previously if anyone knew if Paul was a Fenn treasure seeker, but no one responded. I ask again because Batavia, Illinois sounded familiar to me. Last year Jeff Murphy from Batavia went missing and was discovered to have been accidentally killed in Yellowstone Park searching for the Fenn treasure chest.
http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/man-who-died-in-yellowstone-in-was-looking-for-hidden/article_a437acea-a0e9-5aaf-a24b-ee25becc308a.html

A freak accident occurring to someone walking down established roads and trails in a place like Reed Point would be extremely unusual. And it is likely he would have been found quickly. That is why so many websleuths are hypothesizing about nefarious human interference. But if something -- fishing, treasure-hunting, something else?? -- took Paul off established tracks and trails, maybe down to the riverbank, the likelihood of an accident increases exponentially.

eta: If there is any such additional information, hopefully it has been disclosed to LE and SAR. It would make a huge difference targeting the search effort.

That's extremely interesting that both men are from Batavia. I wonder if they knew each other. If Paul or anyone else suspected the treasure might be located near Reed Point, that would explain visiting such a small town. But, if that was the purpose of his visit, why were his keys left behind ?

That's extremely interesting that both men are from Batavia. I wonder if they knew each other. If Paul or anyone else suspected the treasure might be located near Reed Point, that would explain visiting such a small town. But, if that was the purpose of his visit, why were his keys left behind ?
The keys being left behind is still an unsubstantiated rumor I think. It was mentioned on websleuths, and on the 'missing pieces' flyer, but NOT mentioned in any msm articles, nor in Paul's official missing poster from LE. So we don't actually know if this is true?

The simplest theory I came up with about those keys being left behind (remember keys are still unsubstantiated rumor) is that he dropped them, didn't realize it, and then got lost or in trouble backtracking or trying to find them. That is exactly the kind of thing I would do. In fact I have done just that. It is really important to have spare keys on a long road trip or hiking adventure. Also I recommend leaving an itinerary somewhere for people to find if you are hiking somewhere, especially alone.

The keys being left behind is still an unsubstantiated rumor I think. It was mentioned on websleuths, and on the 'missing pieces' flyer, but NOT mentioned in any msm articles, nor in Paul's official missing poster from LE. So we don't actually know if this is true?

The simplest theory I came up with about those keys being left behind (remember keys are still unsubstantiated rumor) is that he dropped them, didn't realize it, and then got lost or in trouble backtracking or trying to find them. That is exactly the kind of thing I would do. In fact I have done just that. It is really important to have spare keys on a long road trip or hiking adventure. Also I recommend leaving an itinerary somewhere for people to find if you are hiking somewhere, especially alone.

The keys being left behind is not an unsubstantiated rumor. I heard it from family.

The keys being left behind is not an unsubstantiated rumor. I heard it from family.

You would have to sign up as a verified insider for us to be able to use your posts as facts. Until then we can only view them as rumor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You would have to sign up as a verified insider for us to be able to use your posts as facts. Until then we can only view them as rumor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Got it. I’m new here and didn’t realize that. Thank you!

Thinking of Paul and his loved ones, especially you, Avalon. May this coming week bring some answers and peace.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thinking of Paul and his loved ones, especially you, Avalon. May this coming week bring some answers and peace.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Thank you I appreciate it. I wish that too but I don't think they are going to know anything for a while unfortunately. That's just my opinion.

Batavia is about 25,000 +

Not sure about the treasure hunt if that was of interest to Paul.. what a truly sad coincidence for that other Batavia man.

We have no VI's yet for Paul. We are getting information from those who are claiming to know Paul and or circumstances not found in MSM. Please, so that we can work with this valuable information and not waste time on rumor, apply to be a Verified Insider. Paul deserves it. Thank you.

https://patch.com/illinois/batavia/batavia-man-still-missing-montana-after-3-weeks
[h=1]Batavia Man Still Missing In Montana After 3 Weeks[/h]
It's been nearly three weeks since Batavia resident Paul Batson's car was found abandoned near Reed Point in Montana, but still there is no trace of the 49-year-old. Police have stated that they believe Batson's April 28 disappearance involves suspicious circumstances.

Crews have searched a total of more than 1000 acres in their ongoing efforts to locate Batson. Planes and K-9 teams combed the area, but did not find any additional clues to Batson's whereabouts.

Is Paul’s family still posting updates on Caring Bridge? I cannot find anything. Any other places people are posting about Paul on social media?

We have no VI's yet for Paul. We are getting information from those who are claiming to know Paul and or circumstances not found in MSM. Please, so that we can work with this valuable information and not waste time on rumor, apply to be a Verified Insider. Paul deserves it. Thank you.

What is involved in applying to be a VI?

Darn this forum. Some cases get under your skin and Paul is one of those for me. I am reporting from the Bozeman Public Library Sunday at 4:00 PM. It is even busier than I thought it would be around here. The meeting/community rooms are both in use. Yes there is at least one camera outside the library. Probably more.

I see absolutely nothing nor anyone suspicious. Except perhaps by its absence? There are several 'public' bulletin boards and none have Paul's missing poster. The 'Montana Room' is open, which I wanted specifically to check. This is a separate room within the library that houses newspapers, microfiche, Montana and county atlases, rare books and video related to Montana history and geography. The rare books are kept in locked cabinets and I really would have to have an idea of what I was looking for to do any specific research.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back