MT MT - Paul Batson, 45, Stillwater Co, 29 Apr 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Could you elaborate? I’m interested in your line of thinking!

I wouldn't call it line of thinking exactly. I grew up in/near Bozeman and traditionally jurisdictional distinctions are pretty firm. Once his car was found in Reed Point, either their LE or the Stillwater sheriff's department would have taken over. But it appears Bozeman LE is still in charge. Maybe things have changed and cooperation is more the norm now; I haven't lived there for quite a while though my family still does. It just makes me think that there's still some connection to Bozeman that they aren't talking about. But I don't know what that might be.

Though now that I think about it, maybe Bozeman just doesn't want to relinquish control. :p

I wouldn't call it line of thinking exactly. I grew up in/near Bozeman and traditionally jurisdictional distinctions are pretty firm. Once his car was found in Reed Point, either their LE or the Stillwater sheriff's department would have taken over. But it appears Bozeman LE is still in charge. Maybe things have changed and cooperation is more the norm now; I haven't lived there for quite a while though my family still does. It just makes me think that there's still some connection to Bozeman that they aren't talking about. But I don't know what that might be.

Though now that I think about it, maybe Bozeman just doesn't want to relinquish control. :p

Thanks for the response! It is interesting and causes me to wonder as well if there is a chance Bozeman is the last place where Paul was before the unknown incident, meaning that’s where any trouble began.

Or could the reason Bozeman PD is still in charge be because that is the agency Paul’s girlfriend filed the missing person’s report with?

Thanks for the response! It is interesting and causes me to wonder as well if there is a chance Bozeman is the last place where Paul was before the unknown incident, meaning that’s where any trouble began.

I thought they had confirmed he was in fact in Reed Point, but now I'm wondering whether they've changed their minds.

My brother, who still lives in the area, says there are some interesting rumors going around, some of them contradictory :p But mostly people think he probably had an accident of some sort, probably slipped and fell into the river.

I thought they had confirmed he was in fact in Reed Point, but now I'm wondering whether they've changed their minds.

My brother, who still lives in the area, says there are some interesting rumors going around, some of them contradictory :p But mostly people think he probably had an accident of some sort, probably slipped and fell into the river.
Sadly, I do think he’s in that river. One way or another.

The media has focused on the search in Stillwater County shortly after Paul disappeared. Less and less stories of late although Stillwater County News reported on Thursday that there are no updates. See article above.

The media has focused on the search in Stillwater County shortly after Paul disappeared. Less and less stories of late although Stillwater County News reported on Thursday that there are no updates. See article above.

Yeah, I'm just not sure what to make of the whole situation...so sad. I hope he has just decided he needed a mental health break and comes home soon. He sounds like such a nice person.

Yeah, I'm just not sure what to make of the whole situation...so sad. I hope he has just decided he needed a mental health break and comes home soon. He sounds like such a nice person.

That surely would be the best news... if he had some huge stressors (mental break/anxiety or depression hit hard, etc.) and voluntarily left. Everyone would be so relieved when he came back. I had a friend who did that, and he was very loving, conscientious and kind, and nobody thought he would take off like that... but he just couldn't cope at the time, and he felt like he had to get away from everyone. So it does happen, and people absolutely can come back from that. I so hope that's the case here.

There has been some question about the veracity of Paul’s keys being found on the ground outside his car in Reed Point. While I know it to be true via his family, I realize that is not sufficient “proof” for this site. I’m wondering if this photo I’m attaching makes it valid? It is from the Missing Pieces Network that has been working with the family.

Attachments

• B0862899-778C-4A17-90F0-F318C38CD015.jpeg
    B0862899-778C-4A17-90F0-F318C38CD015.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 68
At this point it seems that LE must know something more than has been shared with the public. Usually when it's relatively quiet from the get-go, LE is withholding info from the public for a reason. The reason could be to protect the family and their privacy or it could be to lull a potential perp into complacency. Neither would mean the investigation had stalled. This is MY OPINION ONLY.

It's hard not knowing what has befallen such a kind man, and I just hope the family has more information that possibly gives them some measure of hope and/or peace.

Again, this is all MOO.

I dunno about this one. Part of me thinks self-harm. Part of me thinks otherwise. But both of my theories are that this is voluntary. I wish his family had some answers.

I don't want any of those to be the case, yet the alternative is so much harder to comprehend. He seems like a lovely man, fingers crossed for his family

If anyone local can find out more specific info on the dogs that searched in the Reed Point area (if/what areas they hit on), that would be great. I imagine it's not the easiest to get specifics on that, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I’m from the area but have no idea of how to obtain such information. Some of my family are volunteer firefighters and all calls they respond to are strictly confidential. Accordingly, I would imagine SAR teams are bound by the same rules. Stillwater County published maps of the areas that were searched, however, it did not indicate where dogs were used.

Predicted flooding averted, thanks to shift in heavy rainfall

Montana rivers are still running high and fast because of last week's rains and continued snowmelt. The above article mentions recent flooding at the campground in Reed Point. I have not heard of any new searches for Paul, but this is not surprising until the river slows down and recedes. Peak runoff varies year to year, but one prediction I've heard for this year calls for the section of the Yellowstone around Reed Point to peak around mid-June.

Paul was initially reported missing to the Bozeman PD so IMO that is the reason the DOJ website lists them as the contact on their website. The news articles and posters I have seen mention a joint investigation and request that people call either Stillwater County Sheriff's Department or Bozeman PD with any information. I believe the agencies will share any information they receive with one another though. Everyone wants Paul found.

I have not heard any strange rumors about Paul's disappearance at all. I wish I could help with the search and rescue intelligence requested above, but I don't personally know anyone involved. I also believe detailed information or S&R findings are likely to be kept confidential. Again IMO, this doesn't necessarily mean nefarious or criminal activity, but to protect Paul and his family.

I can only hope and pray that Paul is found soon and that his family will have answers. I too hold out hope that he just needed a longer break from his postal duties and hiked off to do some soul-searching with a bunch of freeze-dried meals, a journal, and some great books; maybe found an abandoned cabin somewhere. His intentionality would explain the controversial keys. It has been 36 days.

I’m from the area but have no idea of how to obtain such information. Some of my family are volunteer firefighters and all calls they respond to are strictly confidential. Accordingly, I would imagine SAR teams are bound by the same rules. Stillwater County published maps of the areas that were searched, however, it did not indicate where dogs were used.

Thanks, Jazzy. I appreciate your reply, and it makes perfect sense... I figured I was, pretty much, asking for the moon. ;-)

Ugh, just trying to figure out what direction to head (in my mind), as to what transpired after the car being parked at Reed Point. I know it seems out of character for Paul, but really hoping this is a voluntary missing, and that he's okay somewhere.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back