MT MT - Paul Batson, 45, Stillwater Co, 29 Apr 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Confused why a thread would be established for Brandon since by all accounts he fell into the river. No mention whatsoever of foul play. Prayers for his family and friends.
Because he has not been found/recovered, and people here may be interested in following develoments (search efforts, found). Also to offer support for his loved ones like you have, in case they may come across the thread.

Confused why a thread would be established for Brandon since by all accounts he fell into the river. No mention whatsoever of foul play. Prayers for his family and friends.
Ok. Thank you! I never really understand where the line between thread-worthy and not is drawn. 2 men with Illinois connections currently missing off the same bridge in Reed Point is mysterious to me. At least sleuth-news-worthy. And I don't want to hi-jack Paul's thread.

I do find it of note the news articles have changed in the last 24 hours from Brandon jumping to falling. Another case where I really really hope his family gets the answers they need.

Back to Paul.

Stillwater County Search And Rescue

Update on the search for Brandon Fitch, who has not been found. Of note in the above post, Stillwater Search and Rescue details all the agencies and volunteer organizations participating in the search, the techniques they have been using of plan to use, and the difficulties they are encountering right now with search efforts. Apparently an 'unofficial' search has been launched and there is concern for public safety.

The official searchers are calling down search dogs and have been using sonar as well as other methods so I have hope they will find Brandon and also Paul, if he is in fact in the river or along its banks.

Stillwater County Search And Rescue

Update on the search for Brandon Fitch, who has not been found. Of note in the above post, Stillwater Search and Rescue details all the agencies and volunteer organizations participating in the search, the techniques they have been using of plan to use, and the difficulties they are encountering right now with search efforts. Apparently an 'unofficial' search has been launched and there is concern for public safety.

The official searchers are calling down search dogs and have been using sonar as well as other methods so I have hope they will find Brandon and also Paul, if he is in fact in the river or along its banks.

Thanks, Loreet, for the update.

How strange that he hasn't been found yet. Thoughts & prayers for Paul's loved ones
I am sorry for any hurt this remark may cause friends or family, but if Paul is in the Yellowstone River -- by accident, choice, or nefarious agency -- it does not surprise me at all that he hasn't been found. The river is immense and undammed. It is at its highest and fastest this time of year.

Searchers for Brandon Fitch, who recently entered the Yellowstone River at Reed Point, reported banks collapsing and an 80 foot tree floating past. The likelihood of finding anyone in the river will increase over the summer as water levels go down, the river slows, and people are out recreating.

56 days missing.

Last edited:
Did Paul get a library card? That would indicate state of mind at the time. He would have had to show id, too.
Did he use a guest pass and access the internet?
Were the Sunday employees interviewed?

Did he go for a few drinks at the bar since he had time to kill????

Did Paul get a library card? That would indicate state of mind at the time. He would have had to show id, too.
Did he use a guest pass and access the internet?
Were the Sunday employees interviewed?

Did he go for a few drinks at the bar since he had time to kill????
So many of your questions and Hazelnutty's regarding Paul's demeanor and conversation with his girlfriend I can't answer but here are a few: cell phone conversations aren't allowed in the library proper, but would be allowed in the lobby area or the cafe/coffee shop; Paul would not be able to get a library card without proof of City residence which he didn't have; he could have signed up to use the internet/computers though, with an ID. It's been awhile since I've done that but they used to keep a record so I am sure police know whether he used the internet, if so which station, and checked the history by now.

I am certain LE would have interviewed library employees and any witnesses that they could find, but none of that information has been made publicly available. There have been no recent news articles about Paul. The latest suspected drowning at Reed Point has eclipsed Paul's disappearance.

Are there homeless people living on the library grounds?
We used to(one was there 12 years under the trees) have nightly and daytime sleepers.
They notice EVERYTHING.
The Library is adjacent to a pretty large wooded and open city park -- Lindley Park. Another city park -- Bogart -- is about a block away and then within walking distance there is a cemetery and Peets Hill, another wooded hiking area. Then there is access to the city hiking/biking linear trail system, which can take a person some miles off streets and through both populated and less densely populated areas.

Overnight camping is definitely not allowed on the library grounds proper nor in any of these parks. They are patrolled by local LE, as much as any large wooded areas can be and our climate is severe for much of the year so no one could live outside for much of our winter. So overnight stays would never be allowed by LE, and I have never seen anyone camping or living in any of these areas and we frequent these parks and the trail. Bozeman does have a transient population though and a few shelter options, but not as many as we should. The library is a good place to warm up and hang out and there are people who I believe may be homeless who frequent the library on many days.

Last edited:
Paul Batson - Your family must know something that they aren't wanting to disclose publicly?

I don't find in NamUs:
Missing Persons Search
No Missing Persons Cases Found
  • First Name: paul
  • Last Name: batson

Still no photo on DOJ website:
Missing Persons Search - Montana Department of Justice
Missing Person Details - Montana Department of Justice

Name: BATSON, PAUL PHILIP
Aliases:
Date of Birth: 09/18/1972
Date of Last Contact: 04/29/2018
Investigating Agency: BOZEMAN POLICE DEPARTMENT

Paul Batson - Your family must know something that they aren't wanting to disclose publicly?
I have also been thinking this could well be the case. Paul's family has been very quiet. I do NOT believe this is disinterest on their part. If they truly believed door-to-door searches in either Reed Point or the city of Bozeman could find Paul, they would have mobilized resources to get that done.

Prayers for Paul and his family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back