MT MT - Paul Batson, 45, Stillwater Co, 29 Apr 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Although it's been over a year, my curiosity got the best of me about Paul's disappearance.
I would like everyone's thoughts on a possible theory.
Many have thrown the logic around why police were called after Paul's girlfriend had contact. I'm curious as well. A thought that came to mind are the trains. Could someone who wanted to disappear simply jump a slow moving train that's going into Canada?
The proximity seems accurate, many people coming to America ditch their identities every day. Why not restart your life in Canada?

Although it's been over a year, my curiosity got the best of me about Paul's disappearance.
I would like everyone's thoughts on a possible theory.
Many have thrown the logic around why police were called after Paul's girlfriend had contact. I'm curious as well. A thought that came to mind are the trains. Could someone who wanted to disappear simply jump a slow moving train that's going into Canada?
The proximity seems accurate, many people coming to America ditch their identities every day. Why not restart your life in Canada?

The rail system in Montana isn't reliable enough to jump on a train and go to Canada. On the busiest track, Empire line, is shared with frieght trains, and are constantly shuttled to side tracks.

I don't even think that there is a Northbound connection between Canada and Montana.

Going to Canada from Montana isn't that easy, too much space, and hard to cross country away from ports of entry. It can be done, but Canada is even more Security conscious than the United States on identification for services and working.

I always leaned toward him taking off, voluntarily... sorry to say... I think about him often though. He and Paul Miller, missing from Joshua Tree. For some reason, these 2 Pauls just get to me... Those who love and care about these men... the not knowing...

We'll be here, though... waiting and hoping for good news one day...

The rail system in Montana isn't reliable enough to jump on a train and go to Canada. On the busiest track, Empire line, is shared with frieght trains, and are constantly shuttled to side tracks.

I don't even think that there is a Northbound connection between Canada and Montana.

Going to Canada from Montana isn't that easy, too much space, and hard to cross country away from ports of entry. It can be done, but Canada is even more Security conscious than the United States on identification for services and working.
Thank you for your insight. Reading this thread from the beginning, even the deleted posts... just seems like it was a voluntary imo. Maybe a well thought out plan B. Letting his phone battery drain while thinking about it perhaps? Jumping trains as a kid for me was an adrenaline rush but pretty easy.
The K9 dogs not finding his scent is very puzzling

Thank you for your insight. Reading this thread from the beginning, even the deleted posts... just seems like it was a voluntary imo. Maybe a well thought out plan B. Letting his phone battery drain while thinking about it perhaps? Jumping trains as a kid for me was an adrenaline rush but pretty easy.
The K9 dogs not finding his scent is very puzzling

I think that he may have stopped there to look around. Maybe stretch his legs, wander around. I think that more people "disappear" in Montana than is the norm. I don't have statistics on this, but have noticed various occurrences, I have lived in Montana for over 30 years. People disappear here. I don't know why, but I wouldn't go hiking alone, or be too trusting.

Montana's Missing Persons List: How to locate those missing

Sad but so true, Never hike alone again ! Such a shame where we have come isn't it ! Buddy system !!!!!! Keeping Paul in my prayers, checking back from time to time. It is a beautiful place !! Yellowstone is amazing...

Yes, it is. But out here, 10 miles off of the main road, there is no cell service in many places here. No GPS. Folks who rely on such things, can get lost quick.

Hiking alone, is dangerous. Fall, slip, no one knows where you are..things happen fast.

Did anyone ever learn the context of his last conversation with his girlfriend? You typically hear of LE requiring a wait of 24/48 hours before a missing persons report is accepted, and it seems that they accepted this report right away.

Did anyone ever learn the context of his last conversation with his girlfriend? You typically hear of LE requiring a wait of 24/48 hours before a missing persons report is accepted, and it seems that they accepted this report right away.

I'm pretty sure that the waiting period to report a missing person is a myth. Here's a few results from Google:

Adults

When should a missing person report be filed?

NYPD: How The Police Handles Missing Person Cases | THE MISSING

I still think foul play is involved. LE didn't do that much deep investigating, in my opinion.
I think they did everything within reason. Oddly after his sister made a plea and noted that her father's health was suffering as a result, things went quiet. Thus his family asked for privacy. No rewards for information or searches organized by family afterward. They may have made up their own minds or have been contacted perhaps?

Bumping for our Paul. Happy Birthday, Paul. We love you and miss you very much. You made a big difference in so many people's lives and with family, friends, and the kindness of caring strangers on this site, we never give up and pray for you.

Thank you to each and every person for your love, prayers, encouragement and for sharing your wisdom and thoughts about Paul. It helps to not feel so alone during a most difficult time.

I want to 100% make it clear that I am not suggesting that Paul is a criminal- this is just a random thought I had about voluntary disappearances in general- which this may or may not even be. I know his family is in agony over his disappearance, and I in no means wish to contribute to it.

This is just a random thought!

IF you were going to be successful at a voluntary disappearance- I think we would all agree that it is more difficult to do these days due to our electronic footprints, right? You would need to really take your time about constructing a 'new you' before leaving. Banking, ID, social media perhaps, SSN, and many, many more things. Now some of this you can do online (but you risk leaving a footprint there as well). But for maximum effect- you would slowly steal/ construct your identity over time. Who better to slowly acquire the documents needed for this that a USPS employee? Esp. one that has a regular route.

For example, I have such a mailman. He's delivered my mail 5 days/ week for years and years. He knows my routine. If so inclined, I suppose he could 'not deliver' certain sensitive things to me and begin developing a parallel MeanMaryJean in that manner. He could intercept my mail, send things to/ from my address without my knowledge.

Anyway, Paul working for the USPS got my mind turning. I'm still completely on the fence about what happened to him and continue to hope for answers for his family and a resolution to this puzzling case.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL - indeed, we are still here, missing you in a way your friends and family don't. You shouldn't have a page here...

one day, may there be resolution. Until then, we continue to hope. It is all we have.

Here's to those who care about and love you - may they find time to celebrate you today.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL - indeed, we are still here, missing you in a way your friends and family don't. You shouldn't have a page here...

one day, may there be resolution. Until then, we continue to hope. It is all we have.

Here's to those who care about and love you - may they find time to celebrate you today.
Well said.

I really want to believe that Paul is alive and well out there somewhere. Who knows, maybe he's found a way to live off of the grid somehow.

This case continues to bother me. In case something awful really did happen to him, I don't want Paul to be forgotten.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmab
Back