MT MT - Paul Batson, 45, Stillwater Co, 29 Apr 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We know Paul, he's our letter carrier. It has been a real shock to everyone in our neighborhood because is one of the friendliest, most likeable people you'd ever meet a He carries doggie treats in his bag and makes friends with all the dogs on his route, so that tells you something. We set up this account so we can answer a few questions that have been asked. His route is a dense suburban neighborhood, where the carrier walks and delivers mail to a box on each house, so he's used to walking long distances. A neighbor said Paul told her that he likes hiking. Wish we knew more, and we do thank everyone who is trying to help find him.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment, "randd"... Paul sounds like a very caring person, and I understand what a shock this is for those who know him personally. We all so hope he is found, and the info about his route and him enjoying hiking adds to the knowledge base.

Thank you for coming on the thread and for the information...I'm so sorry for what all who know and care for Paul are going through.:heartbeat:

We know Paul, he's our letter carrier. It has been a real shock to everyone in our neighborhood because is one of the friendliest, most likeable people you'd ever meet a He carries doggie treats in his bag and makes friends with all the dogs on his route, so that tells you something. We set up this account so we can answer a few questions that have been asked. His route is a dense suburban neighborhood, where the carrier walks and delivers mail to a box on each house, so he's used to walking long distances. A neighbor said Paul told her that he likes hiking. Wish we knew more, and we do thank everyone who is trying to help find him.

I think of my customers as family. I’ve seen their kids grow up, been there when they were having health issues, have laughed, and cried with them. I guess that’s why I don’t think he harmed himself. I’ve read what customers are doing with the ribbons. That right there told me he’s a great guy. Thank you so much for sharing your story! I’m still praying that he is found safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeanMaryJean, you make some very good points there.

However, playing the Devil's Advocate here--I work for USPS and basically they have an on/off hiring freeze. Yes, they hire still hire people, but that's because other people are leaving. New jobs aren't being created so much as being consolidated and given to younger workers more willing and able to have a "temporary" job that works you six or even seven days a week. Since Paul is a regular (being optimistic here), he CAN transfer out of his office to another office, but then finding the one you want is more of a problem. The postal service attracts some of the best people, but it also attracts some of the worst. The worst will either flame out or they make management. A really great seeming office can hide a psycho as your boss. I run a small office which is a satellite of larger one. The larger one has seen a high turnover for postmasters. Some were mediocre, others were bat-**** crazy, and a few rare ones were very good. I have a very good one right now. But in any case, Paul would be at a disadvantage of knowing what sort of person he'd be working for the further away he got from his office. Local, yes, the reputation is known by other offices, but that many states away would be hard to know what to believe. Maybe he got good reports for Bozeman. Maybe offices closer than eight hours from his children were either not available because the old-timers aren't retiring, or maybe they have some sketchy or bad bosses, or maybe Bozeman seemed like the right place for him. Paul could've chosen that city because of the location was close to what interested him, beyond just being near his children. By the way, I'm in Washington State, and Eastern Washington. Montana is far but can be driven in a day. I've never just made a day trip there (although have been to Missoula half dozen times or more) but an hour and a half is almost nothing, especially if you want to drive around because you have nothing better to do. Going for a drive is something that I've done myself, sometimes for an hour, sometimes three hours. Not to say Paul's mindset was the same as mine. And when I think about it, not knowing him whatsoever, my opinion is that he probably went for a drive, went to check out the river, and had an unfortunate accident. I don't think anything criminal happened to him, nor do I think he did himself in. All the postal workers I've known over the years have had a really strong will to live. That sounds strange, but given how hard it is to work for the postal service, and how the public generally doesn't appreciate how hard it is, you really have to be flat out tough as nails. Some of them turn to booze, others turn to religion, humor or charity work, or all of the above to cope with the negativity. It isn't just the hours, it's the intense mental, physical stress added to the emotional stress of dealing with bad bosses, bad co-workers, and bad relations with some members of the public. Before I come off sounding cynical about the public, my experience is that most people are decent, and they want to be happy, and they don't want to be jerks, unless they feel their happiness is being threatened. And even jerks have their good qualities. It's very rare to meet anyone who appears to be flat out evil.

I'll never write a post and try to do housework at the same time again, LOL. I hope I said something useful :thinking:

I agree that it's most likely he went out for a walk or something and had an accident.

I'm another from the area -- grew up in Bozeman, been through Reedpoint dozens of times. A couple of data points that might help:

One thing Reedpoint is known for is access to the Yellowstone River for trout fishing. It's a tiny town, only a couple hundred people, but seeing a stranger park a car and head to the river wouldn't be unusual -- even in the middle of the night, because he might be trying to get to a favorite spot to be there at dawn.

I-90 is a major four-lane interstate highway with heavy truck traffic.

Reedpoint is a tiny town, but Bozeman is a good sized city, around 40K people in the city with another 40K in the surrounding area. Montana State University is there, and dozens of hotels cater to the tourist business. A stranger would not be noticed.
Hi Carbuff and all,
This may or may not be relevant, but small towns in Montana can be potentially scary...not because Montana is a bad place, but because it's so big. The reason I say this is because my stepsister lived in a little town called Big Timber in the 70s. Her best friend (I'll call her Mary) and Mary's 23 year old husband, "John", lived next door. John came down with strep throat; I got a letter from my sister joking about how John looked like a chipmunk because his cheeks were so swollen. The day after I got the letter, sis called to tell me John had died. Apparently, John had some difficulty breathing, so Mary took him to the closest ER, which was in a town called Livingston, about 30 miles away. He was treated in the ER, and given different antibiotics and sent home. Halfway between Livingston and Big Timber, John went into respiratory arrest. Mary was a nurse- but what could she do in the middle of nowhere? She turned around and hauled a$$ back to the ER. John had developed a rare condition called Ludwig's Angina, which can immediately cause ones airways to swell shut. Long story short, by the time they got back to the hospital, John was brain dead; he was on life support for a couple of days before it was removed- there was nothing that could be done to save him. (this still breaks my heart).
My point, FWIW, is that if Paul went for a hike (or something similar) and developed chest pains or had another medical emergency, he may not have been able to get to a place where he could get help in time to save him. I don't know anything about Reed Point or the geography in that area, so this could all be moot, but I thought I'd toss it out anyway...
Thoughts and prayers to Paul and his loved ones.

Hi Carbuff and all,
This may or may not be relevant, but small towns in Montana can be potentially scary...not because Montana is a bad place, but because it's so big. The reason I say this is because my stepsister lived in a little town called Big Timber in the 70s. Her best friend (I'll call her Mary) and Mary's 23 year old husband, "John", lived next door. John came down with strep throat; I got a letter from my sister joking about how John looked like a chipmunk because his cheeks were so swollen. The day after I got the letter, sis called to tell me John had died. Apparently, John had some difficulty breathing, so Mary took him to the closest ER, which was in a town called Livingston, about 30 miles away. He was treated in the ER, and given different antibiotics and sent home. Halfway between Livingston and Big Timber, John went into respiratory arrest. Mary was a nurse- but what could she do in the middle of nowhere? She turned around and hauled a$$ back to the ER. John had developed a rare condition called Ludwig's Angina, which can immediately cause ones airways to swell shut. Long story short, by the time they got back to the hospital, John was brain dead; he was on life support for a couple of days before it was removed- there was nothing that could be done to save him. (this still breaks my heart).
My point, FWIW, is that if Paul went for a hike (or something similar) and developed chest pains or had another medical emergency, he may not have been able to get to a place where he could get help in time to save him. I don't know anything about Reed Point or the geography in that area, so this could all be moot, but I thought I'd toss it out anyway...

That's a good point. Big Timber and Livingston are big cities compared to Reedpoint. Yes, if he had any kind of medical emergency or accident, it could have been a long way from help and a long time before someone else came along.

Previous news reports stated "unknown clothing description"

Now this "He was last seen wearing jeans and a dark, button-up shirt"

https://www.stillwatercountynews.com/content/without-trace
Batson is described as being 6 foot 2 inches tall, 185 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing jeans and a dark, button-up shirt.

Thank you SeesSeas! Maybe they got video from the library! I hope so!

It also answered my question about his luggage. His travel bag was in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sure wish we knew more. Did he have a motel room booked in Bozeman for the night? Did he use his credit card on Sunday? I can even understand if hiked and/or fished that maybe he'd take a drive. (But after a long road trip, I find it hard to believe he took yet another drive on the night before a job interview.) Why were his keys on the ground next to his car? Why was the camera not working for that short period of time? This is truly a mystery. I pray this is not a repeat of Scott Mayer.

Hi Carbuff and all,

Really good points/reflections, "GarandTeed"... I have a pretty awful sense of direction + would be such a little chicken :chicken: to explore in remote locations...but by all accounts, Paul was an adventurous type. Maybe he was bored/restless and went for a drive and made a detour to explore an area he thought would be interesting. I have to sometimes get out of my own box of thinking... like I would stay put where I was the night before an interview/meeting, but many people do not think like that.

I've been trying to follow this case and we don't really get many details. If he was in Bozeman when he called his girlfriend, had he checked in to his hotel? Why hasn't there been any searching in Bozeman? Very strange really. Maybe he never made it to check in but still it feels like any library footage would be helpful as to what happened to him. Now with clothing description maybe they have him on footage where the car was left?
Lots of pondering.

BBM. :cry:

Thank you for being here :heartbeat:

BBM. :cry:

Thank you for being here :heartbeat:

I know, AnaPisces. Me too. Doggie treats...that hit me right in the heart.

Can we talk a bit about the keys on the ground? It's gnawing at me...

So let's assume Paul did drive there. So he has his wallet in his pocket (maybe cell too/or clipped on him) -- that would make sense. But he takes the keys out of the ignition, gets out of his car... drops his keys. They'd land on concrete and be heard, even if he was distracted. So he'd pick them up, right? So that doesn't make sense to me then -- why the keys are laying by his car. So then I think it has to be he was accosted by his car -- there's a struggle, and his keys are dropped. So he's taken by someone?? Very odd. Why would *that* happen? Take his wallet, maybe, but not Paul. Could it be a road rage incident? Someone followed him off the highway? Seems odd he'd be taken away even with that though -- seems so unlikely.

So then I think about Option 2 -- that someone else drove his car there... and the keys on the ground still bother me! You'd think the criminal would just keep the keys in the car -- why drop them outside, on the ground? That would draw more attention to the car being there, like something was not right.

So then I think the keys on the ground are like staging. And I'm lost on why.

I know, AnaPisces. Me too. Doggie treats...that hit me right in the heart.

Can we talk a bit about the keys on the ground? It's gnawing at me...

So let's assume Paul did drive there. So he has his wallet in his pocket (maybe cell too/or clipped on him) -- that would make sense. But he takes the keys out of the ignition, gets out of his car... drops his keys. They'd land on concrete and be heard, even if he was distracted. So he'd pick them up, right? So that doesn't make sense to me then -- why the keys are laying by his car. So then I think it has to be he was accosted by his car -- there's a struggle, and his keys are dropped. So he's taken by someone?? Very odd. Why would *that* happen? Take his wallet, maybe, but not Paul. Could it be a road rage incident? Someone followed him off the highway? Seems odd he'd be taken away even with that though -- seems so unlikely.

So then I think about Option 2 -- that someone else drove his car there... and the keys on the ground still bother me! You'd think the criminal would just keep the keys in the car -- why drop them outside, on the ground? That would draw more attention to the car being there, like something was not right.

So then I think the keys on the ground are like staging. And I'm lost on why.

Absolutely, I am one for walking the drive to my car with way too many things in my hands and not a big enough bag, so I've dropped my keys a million times over and a bunch of other stuff (I dropped my iPhone X - WITHOUT A CASE - the other day, small panic attack ensued!) But yes, you're right, they make a noise, especially being there, I can't imagine it being a busy and loud enough place for that noise to be covered over?

Then I wonder, if he was taken, why was he taken? It seems so far that the only things there are to be told about Paul are good things, great things. He does not appear to be the confrontational type. Unless someone took something way out of context... a joke gone wrong? I don't know. It all seems a bit much. But, still plausible.

Ok, option 2, I agree, why drop them on the ground? It definitely creates attention, probably unwanted if you wanted to go under the radar after harming another human. The only thing I could come up with was that maybe they just didn't want any connection to Paul? Maybe they had considered the police searching, it wouldn't look good if they were found with Paul's car keys in their possession. Also, if they had to go to another location to dispose of the keys, it could run the risk of them being seen in the location the keys are found after disposal? (I just had coffee sooo, I'm probably typing extra fast, rambling and making no sense) :scared:

(There was something else I thought to say while typing that, it's gone out of my head now, I'll be back if I think of it again)

Absolutely, I am one for walking the drive to my car with way too many things in my hands and not a big enough bag, so I've dropped my keys a million times over and a bunch of other stuff (I dropped my iPhone X - WITHOUT A CASE - the other day, small panic attack ensued!) But yes, you're right, they make a noise, especially being there, I can't imagine it being a busy and loud enough place for that noise to be covered over?

Then I wonder, if he was taken, why was he taken? It seems so far that the only things there are to be told about Paul are good things, great things. He does not appear to be the confrontational type. Unless someone took something way out of context... a joke gone wrong? I don't know. It all seems a bit much. But, still plausible.

Ok, option 2, I agree, why drop them on the ground? It definitely creates attention, probably unwanted if you wanted to go under the radar after harming another human. The only thing I could come up with was that maybe they just didn't want any connection to Paul? Maybe they had considered the police searching, it wouldn't look good if they were found with Paul's car keys in their possession. Also, if they had to go to another location to dispose of the keys, it could run the risk of them being seen in the location the keys are found after disposal? (I just had coffee sooo, I'm probably typing extra fast, rambling and making no sense) :scared:

(There was something else I thought to say while typing that, it's gone out of my head now, I'll be back if I think of it again)

Thanks! All your thoughts make total sense (yah, coffee!)... it helps to know my thinking made sense to you, because I haven't had coffee yet. I hope to be so much smarter when I do, lol.

Thanks! All your thoughts make total sense (yah, coffee!)... it helps to know my thinking made sense to you, because I haven't had coffee yet. I hope to be so much smarter when I do, lol.

LOL. Everything is better with coffee! But no, I'm glad you posted. I'm completely divided. It's like 50% of things point to a voluntary disappearance and 50% of things point to foul play? I hope an update will come soon.

I really am so very worried about Paul. Maybe it's all of the wonderful things we have heard about him. All the great stories has made it easy to get to know him a little bit. His disappearance is on my mind constantly.

Does Paul have a dog himself?

I'm looking for updates for Paul anywhere I can find them. A simple FB search shows Mothers Day came and went without Paul contacting his Mother. I think we can all agree that means nothing good when someone who seemingly appeared to easily become close with strangers during his day job does not contact his family on a day like that. :(

The story about the "keys" was posted by ArcadeKris, so it is not official information. I haven't found any news report about keys found.

ArcadeKris posted:
The gas station owner notified police that some keys had been found on the ground outside the car the following morning

I am in this town right now. They have been up and down the river and ate currently there with boats and dogs. This man's oldest Son has been here wandering around just hoping for any information. I can honestly say I do not believe Paul Batson ever made it to Reed Point. Yes his car was abandoned here but I do not believe he was still in it at the time. The only surveillance they have is from the small gas station and the footage was terrible. Interestingly enough, you do see the car pull into the space at the post office but then the feed just stopped recording for 5 minutes and when it starts again no one is in the vehicle. No items of value were stolen from the vehicle either. His cell phone had been dead for 4 hours before the car arrived here, yet there was a working charger in the car. It's a very suspicious case and the fact that you can't take a dump here without neighbors knowing makes it even more odd because this was at 7:09 pm and no one remembers seeing anything...

The post office may have been his destination, he was a postal worker who had just interviewed in a nearby town as well as a few other places looking to transfer to the state.
This town is really small, the only other businesses currently running are an RV park and a bar, the gas station was actually already closed when the vehicle arrived.
The gas station owner notified police that some keys had been found on the ground outside the car the following morning before anything was opened at which time the sheriff left a note on the driver side window with a number for the owner to contact him. The gas station owner went and reviewed his footage during that time because no one recognized the car. The following day, Paul Batsons girlfriend reported him missing and that the last time they had spoke was Sunday around three p.m. in a town 70 miles from here so when an APB was put put on the car they got a bit on the plate and towed it to the local sheriff station.

I apologize for my delayed response, I am currently traveling but I can answer a lot of these questions this evening as well as add some additional info I learned last night.

^^BBM

The story about the "keys" was posted by ArcadeKris, so it is not official information. I haven't found any news report about keys found.

ArcadeKris posted:
The gas station owner notified police that some keys had been found on the ground outside the car the following morning

^^BBM

Thank you -- good catch! So not that it's wrong, but I'm not going to focus on it anymore... could even be unrelated/not Paul's keys.

I'm looking for updates for Paul anywhere I can find them. A simple FB search shows Mothers Day came and went without Paul contacting his Mother. I think we can all agree that means nothing good when someone who seemingly appeared to easily become close with strangers during his day job does not contact his family on a day like that. :(

Agree... not a good sign. :tears:Thanks for scouring the web. I'm really hoping a new article comes out soon.

I saw your dog question...went back to look over some things, but sorry that I couldn't find an answer on that.

Could he have dropped them on the ground on purpose as a clue that he did not leave voluntary?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back