Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is a tracking device, can it be put on legally if a POI or suspect has not been named?

2nd question...regarding SW.

Is BC searched personally (by naked eye), or can he be asked to remove the long sleeves he might have been wearing when they showed up with the SW?

IIRC... Brad WAS served an NTO, which is a separate warrant from the initial SW. I will research and come back in a bit. :).

Is this legal I guess I am also asking since he is not named POI or suspect?

In United States v. Knotts the Supreme Court considered in 1983 whether a court order is necessary for the installation and monitoring of a bird dog tracking device in a public location. In Knotts law enforcement agents placed the tracking device inside a container of chloroform that they tracked to a methamphetamine lab. The Court ruled that the installation and monitoring of the device in a public place was not a violation of the defendant's rights, because "nothing in the Fourth Amendment prohibited the police from augmenting the sensory faculties bestowed upon them at birth with such enhancement as science and technology afforded them in this case." After Knotts it was clear that law enforcement officers do not need a court order to install or monitor that type of tracking device on a suspect's vehicle as long as it is located in a public place.
But Knotts left open the question of whether the same investigators could lawfully monitor the same device if the vehicle on which it had been installed left the public roadway and entered into private property. The Court addressed that question the following year in United States v. Karo. In that case, Drug Enforcement Administration agents obtained a court order for the installation and monitoring of a bird dog tracking device in a 50-gallon drum of ether that they tracked to a residence where they found a cocaine lab. On appeal the defendant claimed that the initial court order was invalid and that the evidence seized inside the residence was the fruit of the illegal monitoring of the device. The Supreme Court ruled that the government did not need a warrant to install and monitor the device initially, but it did need a warrant to continue to monitor the device after it entered a private residence. The Court reasoned that the "indiscriminate monitoring of property that has been withdrawn from public view would present far too serious a threat to privacy interests in the home to escape entirely some sort of Fourth Amendment oversight."

My, My, My. We sure are proud of our vocabulary, aren't we. You made yourself look totally silly, putting it mildly. I'm an environmental engineer and I was so impressed with your knowledge...................
RC and all who were posting last night. I don't think "lonetraveler" was attacking "raisincharlie" at all in this post. I think he/she was actually DEFENDING "The Saint". If you look back on this thread at post#9, you can see where "2Daughters1Dog" wrote something deragatory about a post "TheSaint" made concerning the dump site. It was quite wordy. I think "lonetraveler" not being too familiar with posting simply forgot to quote the original message in the reply. Am I correct, lonetraveler?

Brad's lawyers got them to stop that not long after he hired them.

Betcha there are 2 GPS units attached to those 2 vehicles.
He is not welcome back to Cisco unless he is cleared.
I guarantee you CPD is aware of what he is doing outside the house
in all his free time.

Hello everyone. I've been reading for a few weeks, but just recently decided to sign up and join in on the fun.

I wanted to say & ask a couple of things.

A friend of a friend works at Cisco and had worked with BC on many projects before all this happened. I asked him about the stabbing rumor, and he had not heard that. I don't think that's something that's really "going around Cisco," as much as probably just something a few employees there speculated.

Where did the 420am HT rumor start? Is there any proof of that?

I know that in this area, a lot of stores have pretty high-quality DVR security systems that let you zoom and still have high-res images. Hopefully HT has these. I know that self-checkouts have little cameras to show what the customer is putting on the scale/scanner. Do self-checkouts have cameras pointed at the customer? Does anyone know? The HT near me has 24-hour self checkout, so I imagine if the Cary ones do too, he would have used those to avoid any interaction. Maybe?

Betcha there are 2 GPS units attached to those 2 vehicles.
He is not welcome back to Cisco unless he is cleared.
I guarantee you CPD is aware of what he is doing outside the house
in all his free time.
JTF, How do you know he's not welcome back to Cisco until he's cleared? Is this a guess or do you know for a fact? Just curious.

Deleted cuz I learned something new today, lol.

Shuze - you were right - if LE wants to monitor the GPS system while it is on private property, they must obtain a warrant to do so. They are not obligated to get a warrant to install the GPS nor to monitor it while it is moving in public places.

You will recall the way LE got around this in SPs case was to install a camera on a power pole across the street - the camera alerted LE when the vehicle left the house and returned so they could monitor its movements in between.

RC and all who were posting last night. I don't think "lonetraveler" was attacking "raisincharlie" at all in this post. I think he/she was actually DEFENDING "The Saint". If you look back on this thread at post#9, you can see where "2Daughters1Dog" wrote something deragatory about a post "TheSaint" made concerning the dump site. It was quite wordy. I think "lonetraveler" not being too familiar with posting simply forgot to quote the original message in the reply. Am I correct, lonetraveler?

Reddress - I didn't take it as a personal attack but I certainly took it as an attack on whoever it was aimed at. There is a way to get one's point across without dressing someone down. IMO it was rude and really not necessary.

Reddress - I didn't take it as a personal attack but I certainly took it as an attack on whoever it was aimed at. There is a way to get one's point across without dressing someone down. IMO it was rude and really not necessary.
I agree 100%! It just bothered me because I couldn't see in your post where you had said anything that concerned the environment or engineering or used big words. That's what made me curious; so I went back and read previous posts. I was stunned that you of all people would be confronted in such a manner, so i thought there may be another explanation.

Hello everyone. I've been reading for a few weeks, but just recently decided to sign up and join in on the fun.

I wanted to say & ask a couple of things.

A friend of a friend works at Cisco and had worked with BC on many projects before all this happened. I asked him about the stabbing rumor, and he had not heard that. I don't think that's something that's really "going around Cisco," as much as probably just something a few employees there speculated.

Where did the 420am HT rumor start? Is there any proof of that?

I know that in this area, a lot of stores have pretty high-quality DVR security systems that let you zoom and still have high-res images. Hopefully HT has these. I know that self-checkouts have little cameras to show what the customer is putting on the scale/scanner. Do self-checkouts have cameras pointed at the customer? Does anyone know? The HT near me has 24-hour self checkout, so I imagine if the Cary ones do too, he would have used those to avoid any interaction. Maybe?
WELCOME, jonesmouse. One of our posters has knowledge of a video showing BC at Crescent Commons HT at 4:20. This poster let us all know in an earlier thread. (you can go back if you'd like. Not sure which one) Our poster actually got the info from the person who saw the video and assures us it's a reliable source.

I personally do not know if BC checked out at the self-service or regular counter.

I must have dreamed an NTO order in this case. Not having any luck finding information. :crazy:

JTF, How do you know he's not welcome back to Cisco until he's cleared? Is this a guess or do you know for a fact? Just curious.

Sorry, just speculation.

He is on paid 'administrative leave', not family leave or vacation.

Sorry, just speculation.

He is on paid 'administrative leave', not family leave or vacation.
Does anybody know how long "paid administrative leave" can last? If he's not charged or a POI, I can't see how they legally can keep him from his job for much longer. If I were BC, I'd be anxious to get back to work to fill the long, lonely hours of the day.

Does anybody know how long "paid administrative leave" can last? If he's not charged or a POI, I can't see how they legally can keep him from his job for much longer. If I were BC, I'd be anxious to get back to work to fill the long, lonely hours of the day.

NC is an "employee at will " state. He should be very happy they are paying him for staying at home.

Just ask Jason Young how he feels. He was on a 30 day leave and his employer then fired him. :bang:

NC is an "employee at will " state. He should be very happy they are paying him for staying at home.

Just ask Jason Young how he feels. He was on a 30 day leave and his employer then fired him. :bang:

He can and does work from home.

What kind of warrant is needed for this to be placed on his vehicles? Where can someone locate this information to see if one was obtained or would it be placed in the sealed envelope along with the search warrants? In other words all done at the same time...

Here's the only thing I can find pertaining to an NTO:
When Cary Police searched Nancy Cooper's home and cars, and when they said publicly the search warrant also allowed them to get DNA from Nancy Cooper's husband --speculation rose.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=6294423

ETA: I should say what I perceived to be an NTO, but it's NOT.
OK, more coffee, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member