Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Candace Cameron Burr and co-stars are more likely worried about the status of their jobs and future residual income from serialization. It might be portrayed as concern for Lori, but it’s likely more about money.

If Lori goes to prison, it may very well endanger the $$$$ residuals for old programs that she and everyone else has been counting on for future income. Hollywood sure hates a money-loser.

Martha Stewart was industrious enough and clever enough to rebrand herself. In her post-prison life, she’s turned into a very interesting person. I don’t know if the hilarious and unexpected symbiosis with SnoopDog would have ever come about if she hadn’t been incarcerated.

I don’t see Laughlin as having the moxy of Martha Stewart. Lori only knows one script and right now she’s playing it very poorly.

But she won’t be selling her clothes on ebay to pay the yoga bills. Husband Mossimo made enough from his clothing line to keep them comfy just where they are. But being ex-felons would likely hamper their social opportunities.
I agree that Martha Stewart and Lori Loughlin have different personalities and Martha handled her legal trouble better. For one thing, it seems like Martha has a sense of humor about herself and I don't think Lori does.

But, also, the crimes are different. Martha was convicted of insider trading, which people don't really feel personally offended by (yes, I understand it is a crime). Lori, on the hand, cheated at something that millions of Americans take seriously. College is a big deal and people feel personally offended how Lori et al cheated, bribed, and lied, imo.

jmo

Lori Loughlin is trotting around LA after being slapped with new charges of money laundering and the press is commenting on everything, including her outfits.

Why do I believe this “source” is her PR team?
“A source told PEOPLE this week that Loughlin is attempting to maintain some sense of normalcy as she awaits her fate.

“While waiting for this to come to some conclusion, she’s trying to keep a somewhat regular schedule — going to yoga and pilates and seeing friends for lunch,” the source said. “She is very faith-based, and she knows her faith will get her through this.”

“She’s holding up well, given the circumstances,” the insider added. “She has a strong very strong faith that is helping her immensely. She loves her husband and her children very much.”

Lori Loughlin Steps Out in L.A. as She's Hit with Additional Charge in College Admission Scandal
It's totally her PR machine in action, and I think she is playing to her Hallmark fans who likely do place importance on faith. People generally are willing to forgive, and I think that's what she is banking on.

I don't want to doubt anyone's faith but I kinda sorta think many faith traditions would encourage her to be more humble, work to make amends, apologize, accept responsibility, reflect on behavior, strive to change for the better, turn her problems into an opportunity to help others. Faith can be a comfort for sure, but faith also provides a way for us to grow as people - and I hope she finds a way to do that...somewhere in between yoga, pilates, and meeting friends for lunch. (And is it just me or all these activities about her?)

Whatever, Lori.

jmo

My impression is that Martha is Martha...her persona I believe is actually who she was/is. She handled her legal situation and was able to do something constructive, even perhaps fulfilling, in prison. Didn't she teach other inmates? I believe she was actually well liked by her fellow inmates. She likely didn't come across with an entitled I shouldn't be here attitude, I'm better that you all.

I don't see Lori with the same kind of personality. Her persona is put on it seems to me, as though it's a necessity for her to be admired with attention. Her antics lately speak of that. I don't know if she will have the resilience to cope with prison. I don't see her bonding (for lack of a better word) with fellow inmates, and I don't see the others accepting her unless she does come to terms with really absorbing that she broke the law and hurt many people in the process, and shows some genuine remorse.
May do her some good, to realize at some point that her charmed life is not to be taken for granted.

I read in one of the recent articles today, that the charging complaint said that Felicity specifically did tell her daughter she (the daughter) had to ask for extra time to take the test because of a learning disability.

I don't imagine the Huffmans had to change testing centers anywhere because they already live on the West Coast, and I'm also pretty sure the charging complaints said the residents of other states (Texas and the like) were told to claim a family event in Los Angeles, which meant their kids "had to" find another geographical location to take their tests.

Also, the scam for young Miss Huffman was set up after she had taken the much less serious and less weighted PSAT's. This isn't a situation where she took the 17-year-old's SAT and performed poorly on it. We technically don't know what she scored on the latter before the proctor sat down and went to town on correcting it, that I can recall; all people have said, is that the adjusted SAT trumped her PSAT score by 400-something points. For all we know, she took the PSAT in eighth grade (my class in New York State did in the 80's). Felicity never even gave this young woman a chance to show what she could do, IMO; and if my scenario is true to life, imagine how humiliated the older daughter must be feeling. "You've thought I was stupid ever since I turned in those PSAT scores! Admit it!" accusations flying, and the like.

From what I remember in the documents, the daughter took the exam 1st like every other kid does at their school all on the same date. She didn't do as well as they wanted so Felicity had someone (?psychiatrist) state that the daughter needed to double the test-taking time due to some learning disability I'm guessing.

School counselor said great, I'll give her the test on X/Y dates which were school days. Felicity talked with Singer and was told to tell the counselor that the daughter will take the test at a private center on a weekend so that the kid wouldn't miss school. The other center was the one Singer had connections with. Kid took the test at the new center "proctored" by Riddell and scored 400 its higher.

Here's a link to the original criminal complaint in case anyone else hasn't seen it.
READ: College cheating scandal indictment - CNN

She missed the first week of college at USC to go to Fiji to do some photo-op stuff for her blog. You know, rich girls in luxurious exotic beach house wearing expensive clothes they never paid for. I'm sure parent (ie: Dad) were involved in the project because I'm sure Olivia is incapable of organizing something like this, far less actually buying an airline ticket or making a hotel reservation by herself. She had no intention of attending at all, except for the Amazon-sponsored dorm decoration stuff that was photographed there. And she doesn't strike me as the kind to actually have stayed in her dorm room.

Her entire vlog career strikes me as run by Dad, who has certainly developed, promoted, and maintained a highly successful clothing / lifestyle venture. I get the impression that OJ was going to be the next "billionaire" made by promoting beauty, clothing, & lifestyle a la Kylie Jenner. The ill-fated Sephora makeup promotion was going to be the start of their huge empire. For whatever positive attributes she seems to possess that attract followers, she is missing something in the organization and development darn hard work area. Whatever.

Mom and Dad screwed up both children's lives and futures careers. OJ doesn't have the wiles of Paris Hilton who survived a sex tape and a brief jail sentence to rise above and develope her name as a sellable celebrity. Nor does the family have the guts to go low low like the Kardashian family who first exploited a sex tape of Kim K into more trash.

So to say OJ never really wanted to be at USC is really evident.

But I think her very ambitious parents REALLY wanted the ins and connections she could make there with that age group. And they were well on their way to success: She was on Spring Break on the huge yacht of the billionaire father of a USC friend. And he being the Chairman of the Board of USC didn't hurt Mommy & Daddy's feelings either. Note also that daddy Mossimo was golf-schmoozing in Atlanta with the Head of the USC Athletic Department, Lynn Swann. ( Swann is an NFL Hall-of-Famer wide receiver for Pittsburg. He is famous and a nice guy, but he does't have the experience to run a huge industry like USC's athletic dept) Not every USC parent gets to golf with Lynn Swann.....

It's not hard to see how this family operates. It aims to be an industry, regardless of the needs of their children. This scandal exposes them for who they really are.

Hmm....your post makes me wonder if Lori and Mossimo pushed college not for the educational or even social value, but because it meant lucrative sponsorships from companies who wanted to reach college-aged consumers. I had not thought of that before.

jmo

...Martha was convicted of insider trading, which people don't really feel personally offended by (yes, I understand it is a crime). Lori, on the hand, cheated at something that millions of Americans take seriously. College is a big deal and people feel personally offended how Lori et al cheated, bribed, and lied, imo.

jmo
Martha Stewart actually went to jail for lying to investigators. Had she just admitted what she had done, she would have gotten away with paying fines and not going to jail. I personally don't think that insider trading or cheating on your college entrance exams are acceptable.

These rich, privileged folks should have to abide by the same laws that we do. How do you think so many congressmen become filthy rich while in office? Until 2012 they were exempt to laws regarding insider trading. How can you lose when you are getting tips like this on stock?

Martha Stewart actually went to jail for lying to investigators. Had she just admitted what she had done, she would have gotten away with paying fines and not going to jail. I personally don't think that insider trading or cheating on your college entrance exams are acceptable.

These rich, privileged folks should have to abide by the same laws that we do. How do you think so many congressmen become filthy rich while in office? Until 2012 they were exempt to laws regarding insider trading. How can you lose when you are getting tips like this on stock?
My point was that the public take Lori's crimes more personally than the crimes Martha committed. My apologies for not understanding Martha's crimes (which kind of is my point). And, yes, what Martha did was illegal and it got her a jail sentence, and she rebounded. There's a difference between Martha and Lori and between their crimes - in the public eyes. In my opinion.

I don't think anyone on WS condones any crime or thinks any crime is acceptable.

I never knew about this kind of college scam, but I have always known about legacy students and students that get in because their parents buy a wing for a school.

Or they have influential friends that speak for them.

It has never been fair as far as I know

From reading comments, I am pretty shocked by how many people are forgiving Felicity. Fans still really like her. I wonder if it's because they liked her on Desperate Housewives where she played someone like-able.

rsbm

I've actually never seen anything that I know of with Felicity in it, or her husband, or Lori Loughin after Full House (and probably a Hallmark movie here and there). I'm not much of a tv person, not as a statement, but my kids claimed the tv as a game monitor a long time ago and I just haven't claimed it back. ;)

Anyway, I've just been looking at the way people in this case have been behaving without all the movies and series etc in my head.

Basically everyone is lying low, except for Lori. Part of that might be that she was basically singled out by the media when this all broke, but since then, she's had every chance to at lest try and stay out of the spotlight. Signing autographs and taking fan pics at the court doors, come on. It's just tacky as all get-out, in my opinion.

I have more respect for the people who, sincere or out of strategy, show some humility and admit their wrong-doings. That's just how it works, I think. It's not for nothing that attorneys advise their clients to behave as if they're sorry. It garners much more sympathy than arrogance.

At this point I'm not even sure what we're seeing here with Lori. It's a brain teaser. Is she being advised to act like this? Is she ignoring advice not to act like this? What the heck is she even doing right now. All I know is if she didn't plea because she didn't want 18-24 months in prison, she might come to regret that in the future.

All JMO/MOO

2 more named:

Former Wynn executive Gamal "Aziz" Abdelaziz, 62, and media executive Elisabeth Kimmel, 54, of Las Vegas are now facing a new charge of conspiracy to commit money laundering in connection with a scheme to use bribery to cheat on college entrance exams or to get their children into selective colleges as athletic recruits.

They had already been charged with commiting mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

Abdelaziz is accused of paying $300,000 to secure his daughter's admission to USC as a basketball recruit, even though she didn't play basketball.

Kimmel is accused of paying Singer for fake athletic profiles for her daughter and son to Georgetown and USC, respectively.

Federal indictment on college admissions scam includes 2 Las Vegas parents

Justin Paperny, a former stockbroker turned felon who now heads White Collar Advice says he’s working with one of the parents ensnared in the college cheating web.

Larry Levine — the director and founder of Wall Street Prison Consultants, who spent a decade in 11 different prisons — said he’s been retained by three people involved in the scandal, and that more have reached out seeking advice.

Michael Frantz, director of Jail Time Consulting, said the prison coaches advise clients on what to expect as inmates — from strip searches, to ill-fitting clothes and family visitation rules — as well as how to navigate early release programs. He would not say if he has been contacted by any of the Varsity Blues defendants.

Prison coaches say college scam defendants could face paparazzi, toilet-scrubbing duty – Boston Herald

You know the world is on its head when you read articles quoting "prison coaches" on the crimes of the wealthy. And, that there are actually businesses to help these people adjust to prison life without their pocketbook dogs and chauffeurs, ill-fitting clothing, and dealing with undesirable prison jobs. And...being paid! What the what?

My point was that the public take Lori's crimes more personally than the crimes Martha committed. My apologies for not understanding Martha's crimes (which kind of is my point). And, yes, what Martha did was illegal and it got her a jail sentence, and she rebounded. There's a difference between Martha and Lori and between their crimes - in the public eyes. In my opinion.

I don't think anyone on WS condones any crime or thinks any crime is acceptable.
I agree about the crimes. I think the public might view insider trading as being unfair, but it doesn't hit a nerve the same was as buying spots away from hard working, honest students and hard working parents making real sacrifices for their children's education. And also the arrogance in not recognizing what a privilege it is to have a good education. And then even worse, thumbing your nose at it and not even bothering to go to class.

I think one of the other differences between Martha and Lori is that Martha behaved exactly how one might expect from her - entitled and arrogant, but also resolved, resilient, strong, and formidable. I don't think she cared all that much if she was unlikeable, because she's well, Martha. She seemed more irked and fuming mad than remorseful - but she also at some point reached acceptance and then just buckled down and carried through. She didn't project too much of a woe is me attitude. She's a tough lady and I think some people respect that about her. In a weird way, it almost gave her some street cred. She was able to poke a little fun at herself, appropriately, and come back strong, imo. How she acted before and after was very much in line to me with what I expected.

I think the contrast with Lori is that she had a wholesome, very likable public image, beautiful family, etc. that it took a lot of even casual fans by surprise to see her name in the headlines. (Was anyone that shocked that Martha Stewart got an illegal stock tip from her broker or lied about it?) The mirage and facade came tumbling down. The ridiculous way she is acting now, also takes some back a bit. The whole perception of her now is different - I think that will be the hardest thing to bounce back from. She's not going to be able to go back to what she had going for her - an ugliness we didn't expect from her shined through. Ouch.

I agree about the crimes. I think the public might view insider trading as being unfair, but it doesn't hit a nerve the same was as buying spots away from hard working, honest students and hard working parents making real sacrifices for their children's education. And also the arrogance in not recognizing what a privilege it is to have a good education. And then even worse, thumbing your nose at it and not even bothering to go to class.

I think one of the other differences between Martha and Lori is that Martha behaved exactly how one might expect from her - entitled and arrogant, but also resolved, resilient, strong, and formidable. I don't think she cared all that much if she was unlikeable, because she's well, Martha. She seemed more irked and fuming mad than remorseful - but she also at some point reached acceptance and then just buckled down and carried through. She didn't project too much of a woe is me attitude. She's a tough lady and I think some people respect that about her. In a weird way, it almost gave her some street cred. She was able to poke a little fun at herself, appropriately, and come back strong, imo. How she acted before and after was very much in line to me with what I expected.

I think the contrast with Lori is that she had a wholesome, very likable public image, beautiful family, etc. that it took a lot of even casual fans by surprise to see her name in the headlines. (Was anyone that shocked that Martha Stewart got an illegal stock tip from her broker or lied about it?) The mirage and facade came tumbling down. The ridiculous way she is acting now, also takes some back a bit. The whole perception of her now is different - I think that will be the hardest thing to bounce back from. She's not going to be able to go back to what she had going for her - an ugliness we didn't expect from her shined through. Ouch.
Yes, you articulated so nicely (and much better than) what I was trying to convey.

The nature of Lori's (and the other's) crimes definitely hit a nerve with the public.

jmo

The second superseding indictment includes:

https://kfmb.images.worldnow.com/library/544c031d-3609-475d-9321-3b6c89fcef28.pdf - can be read here

1. Defendant DAVID SIDOO (“SIDOO”) was a resident of Vancouver, Canada.
2. Defendant GREGORY COLBURN was a resident of Palo Alto, California.
3. Defendant AMY COLBURN was a resident of Palo Alto, California.
4. GREGORY COLBURN and AMY COLBURN (together, “the COLBURNS”) were a married couple.
5. Defendant GAMAL ABDELAZIZ, also known as “Gamal Aziz,” was a resident of Las Vegas, Nevada.
6. Defendant DIANE BLAKE was a resident of Ross, California.
7. Defendant TODD BLAKE was a resident of Ross, California.
8. DIANE BLAKE and TODD BLAKE (together, “the BLAKES”) were a married couple.
9. Defendant I-HSIN “JOEY” CHEN was a resident of Newport Beach, California.
10. Defendant MOSSIMO GIANNULLI was a resident of Los Angeles, California.
11. Defendant LORI LOUGHLIN was a resident of Los Angeles, California.
12. MOSSIMO GIANNULLI and LORI LOUGHLIN (together, “the GIANNULLIS”) were a married couple.
13. Defendant ELIZABETH HENRIQUEZ was a resident of Atherton, California.
14. Defendant MANUEL HENRIQUEZ was a resident of Atherton, California.
15. ELIZABETH HENRIQUEZ and MANUEL HENRIQUEZ (together, “the HENRIQUEZES”) were a married couple.
16. Defendant DOUGLAS HODGE was a resident of Laguna Beach, California.
17. Defendant MICHELLE JANAVS (“JANAVS”) was a resident of Newport Coast, California.
18. Defendant ELISABETH KIMMEL was a resident of Las Vegas, Nevada and La Jolla, California.
19. Defendant WILLIAM McGLASHAN, Jr. was a resident of Mill Valley, California.
20. Defendant MARCI PALATELLA was a resident of Hillsborough, California.
21. Defendant JOHN WILSON was a resident of Lynnfield, Massachusetts.
22. Defendant HOMAYOUN ZADEH was a resident of Calabasas, California.
23. Defendant ROBERT ZANGRILLO was a resident of Miami, Florida.

College Admissions Scandal: Elisabeth Kimmel among 16 parents indicted by federal grand jury with money laundering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xhononibb