GUILTY Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know where Singer is now?

Case Status

William Rick SINGER

3/12/2019 - The defendant pled guilty and agreed to cooperate with the government's
investigation.

1/30/2020 at 2:00 pm - Telephone conference set before Judge Zobel,
the judge in charge of handling many of the cases.

The defendant has been released on conditions
which includes a $500,000 bond.

The conditions of Singer's release allow him to travel to Massachusetts, where he was charged; California; Florida; and, as of last week, Missouri, where his son attends college.

Singer was scheduled to be sentenced on Sept. 19, 2019 but so far there has been no news that that sentencing has moved forward, and the phone call with Judge Zobel implies that proceedings are currently stalled.

That's about as much as we know about Singer's case: USA Today notes that he's repeatedly declined interviews with the press through his attorney, and even maintained silence when directly confronted by a TMZ video crew in Florida last month.

The Rick Singer Primer You Need Before Watching Lifetime's 'College Admissions Scandal'

Last edited:
Case Status

William Rick SINGER

3/12/2019 - The defendant pled guilty and agreed to cooperate with the government's
investigation.

1/30/2020 at 2:00 pm - Telephone conference set before Judge Zobel,
the judge in charge of handling many of the cases.

The defendant has been released on conditions
which includes a $500,000 bond.

The conditions of Singer's release allow him to travel to Massachusetts, where he was charged; California; Florida; and, as of last week, Missouri, where his son attends college.

Singer was scheduled to be sentenced on Sept. 19, 2019 but so far there has been no news that that sentencing has moved forward, and the phone call with Judge Zobel implies that proceedings are currently stalled.

That's about as much as we know about Singer's case: USA Today notes that he's repeatedly declined interviews with the press through his attorney, and even maintained silence when directly confronted by a TMZ video crew in Florida last month.

The Rick Singer Primer You Need Before Watching Lifetime's 'College Admissions Scandal'

That’s interesting, I imagine some of those charged have attempted to reach him.

That’s interesting, I imagine some of those charged have attempted to reach him.
Their attorneys for sure!
Often, in cases where sentencing is delayed it's because the defendant is still busy cooperating with prosecutors. I assume Singer will be on the stand for the defendants going on trial. Maybe they want him out of prison for the trials? Maybe these are the reasons he's not on house arrest. Just speculating.

Last edited:
Their attorneys for sure!
Often, in cases where sentencing is delayed it's because the defendant is still busy cooperating with prosecutors. I assume Singer will be on the stand for the defendants going on trial. Maybe they want him out of prison for the trials? Maybe these are the reasons he's not on house arrest. Just speculating.

He may go missing...like Epstein.

The rise of Rick Singer: How the mastermind of college admissions scandal built an empire on lies, exploited a broken system
A couple of more questions.
I know that kids with disabilities have to take tests in quiet spaces, such as school libraries.
But from the article I understand that the kids whose SAT scores were inflated, took the tests at totally different places, outside of schools.
I wonder if this arm will ever be investigated? It is an altogether different part of the scheme, very serious (although obviously costing less to parents).

And out of curiosity - the previous article said that Singer’s son was a student in a college.

What do you think: did Singer use the same scheme for own son, or not? Did he send him to a smaller, cheaper, college, maybe using his friendships, but not bribing his son’s way in? I think this is what happened.

Last edited:
The rise of Rick Singer: How the mastermind of college admissions scandal built an empire on lies, exploited a broken system
I know that kids with disabilities have to take tests in quiet spaces, such as school libraries.
But from the article I understand that the kids whose SAT scores were inflated, took the tests at totally different places, outside of schools.
I wonder if this arm will ever be investigated? It is an altogether different part of the scheme, very serious (although obviously costing less to parents).

And out of curiosity - the previous article said that Singer’s son was a student in a college.

What do you think: did Singer use the same scheme for own son, or not? Did he send him to a smaller, cheaper, college, maybe using his friendships, but not bribing his son’s way in? I think this is what happened.

Even though Singer made donations, it's not clear if donations helped Singer's son get into DePaul University.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...liam-rick-singer-depaul-donation-college-scam

"..Not unlike many parents, Mr. Singer made several contributions to DePaul while his son was a student and graduated in 2017. All were in support of helping students study abroad.

In 2016, Key Worldwide Foundation donated $50,000 in cash grants to DePaul, according to tax forms filed by the foundation. In 2015 and 2014, the university's Religious Studies Department received a total of $100,000 from the foundation, according to the tax forms.. "

CHEATING ON COLLEGE ENTRANCE EXAMS

Singer arranged to allow clients' children to cheat on the SAT or ACT college admission tests.[17] Singer worked with psychologists to complete the detailed paperwork required to falsely certify clients' children as having a learning disability; this in turn gave them access to accommodations, such as extra time, while taking the tests.

Once the paperwork was complete Singer told clients to invent false travel plans to arrange to have their children's tests moved to West Hollywood or Houston testing sites or private locations where Singer could have complete control over the testing process.[35]

In some cases, the student was involved directly in the fraud. In others, the fraud was kept secret from the student and corrupt proctors altered tests on their behalf after the fact.[37] In some cases, other people posed as the students to take the tests.

Last edited:
Even though Singer made donations, it's not clear if donations helped Singer's son get into DePaul University.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...liam-rick-singer-depaul-donation-college-scam

"..Not unlike many parents, Mr. Singer made several contributions to DePaul," Carol Hughes, a spokesperson for DePaul, told BuzzFeed News in a statement.

The Key Worldwide Foundation donated a total of $150,000 over three years to DePaul University in Chicago where Singer's son graduated from in 2017, the university confirmed.

"These gifts were made by the Key Worldwide Foundation in 2014, 2015 and 2016 while his son was a student. All were in support of helping students study abroad," the statement said.

In 2016, Key Worldwide Foundation donated $50,000 in cash grants to DePaul, according to tax forms filed by the foundation. In 2015 and 2014, the university's Religious Studies Department received a total of $100,000 from the foundation, according to the tax forms.. "

From the article you linked, this part is interesting:

"Huffman initially ran into a roadblock when her daughter's school tried to make her take the exam on its campus. In order for the scheme to work, she would need to arrange for the test to be administered at a location specified by one of the scheme's orchestrators."

So what happened next? Was Huffman so insistent and aggressive that worn-out school decided it was easier to agree then fight that mom? Quite possible.

One more question. Could some parents believe, that no one had the chance to get to prestigious universities, unless there was some form of a bribe involved? That everyone did so? In other words, could Singer "sell" the fact of bribes, or mega-million donations, as the only reason people would get into good universities? Could the parents believe him?

(Or they simply had no time to check on the kids earlier in life, were used to paying for creating certain images, and thought that money would be the easiest and fastest way?)

From the article you linked, this part is interesting:

"Huffman initially ran into a roadblock when her daughter's school tried to make her take the exam on its campus. In order for the scheme to work, she would need to arrange for the test to be administered at a location specified by one of the scheme's orchestrators."

So what happened next? Was Huffman so insistent and aggressive that worn-out school decided it was easier to agree then fight that mom? Quite possible.

One more question. Could some parents believe, that no one had the chance to get to prestigious universities, unless there was some form of a bribe involved? That everyone did so? In other words, could Singer "sell" the fact of bribes, or mega-million donations, as the only reason people would get into good universities? Could the parents believe him?

(Or they simply had no time to check on the kids earlier in life, were used to paying for creating certain images, and thought that money would be the easiest and fastest way?)
I think it's simply that the parent wants their kid to go to X college and the kid doesn't have a good chance of getting in because of average grades, average SAT scores, doesn't play sports etc...And the parent is willing to do whatever it takes to get them in.

The question is, why not let the kid to go a college they can get into on their own?

Answer: The parent's vanity. It has to be the college they, the parent, can brag about.

Why did Loughlin hate the University of Arizona? No, it had to be USC. Better image to her, more bragging rights. U of A was beneath a big TVstar, not good enough for a millionaire living in Bel Air...2 Cents...

I think it's simply that the parent wants their kid to go to X college and the kid doesn't have a good chance of getting in because of average grades, average SAT scores, doesn't play sports etc...And the parent is willing to do whatever it takes to get them in.

The question is, why not let the kid to go a college they can get into on their own?

Answer: The parent's vanity. It has to be the college they, the parent, can brag about.

Why did Loughlin hate the University of Arizona? No, it had to be USC. Better image to her, more bragging rights. U of A was beneath a big TVstar, not good enough for a millionaire living in Bel Air...2 Cents...

Probably. Also, remember that college dorm room decorated by Amazon? Her Sephora endorsement? Her trademark name? Like, her daughter was a package deal on Instagram, and maybe for advertising industry, her price would be higher if she got to USC than if she went to University of Arizona? Not only better image, but what image sells better, too. Just a thought. (Nothing against University of AZ on my side, where I live, people apply there gladly - because of the sunshine).

Last edited:

What I don't understand is if these kids are not smart enough or focused enough to get into these colleges, then, how are they going to take the classes and make the grades to graduate from the college?

Also, Lori and her husband didn't go to college? What's the point of having bragging rights for your kids? Go to college yourself. I guess that I don't get it.

Our kids went to college and have good jobs. However, unless someone asks, we don't go around crowing about these things. They still have their issues as all of us do.

I believe that Felicity's husband knew what was going on but didn't necessarily agree with what she did. That's why he wasn't charged. I think that she was very smart to admit guilt, apologize, serve her sentence and move on. As we all see, it didn't hurt Martha Stewart, who, IMO, committed her crimes out of pure greed.

Lori Loughton is doing herself no favors. She appears arrogant. The public--whom she depends upon to watch her shows--are far less forgiving when a person obviously is lying and comes across as a person who thinks that she is above the law and is totally unrepentant.

After all, all of these rich people who paid for spots for their kids took away from the kids who actually worked hard and deserved these spots.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is if these kids are not smart enough or focused enough to get into these colleges, then, how are they going to take the classes and make the grades to graduate from the college?

Also, Lori and her husband didn't go to college? What's the point of having bragging rights for your kids? Go to college yourself. I guess that I don't get it.

Our kids went to college and have good jobs. However, unless someone asks, we don't go around crowing about these things. They still have their issues as all of us do.

I believe that Felicity's husband knew what was going on but didn't necessarily agree with what she did. That's why he wasn't charged. I think that she was very smart to admit guilt, apologize, serve her sentence and move on. As we all see, it didn't hurt Martha Stewart, who, IMO, committed her crimes out of pure greed.

Lori Loughton is doing herself no favors. She appears arrogant. The public--whom she depends upon to watch her shows--are far less forgiving when a person obviously is lying and comes across as a person who thinks that she is above the law and is totally unrepentant.

After all, all of these rich people who paid for spots for their kids took away from the kids who actually worked hard and deserved these spots.

BBM

Martha Stewart plead not guilty and went to trial and was convicted. The problems she had are the same problems Lori will have in my opinion -- jurors will see convicting her as a victory for middle class people who don't pay bribes to get their offspring into college.

And in court she will be portrayed as arrogant and entitlled, and the tabloids will flood the media with these negative portrayals of her, coming from the prosecutors. (opinion only)

I think something like this will happen to Lori:

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A juror
from the Martha Stewart trial emerged from court Friday and said, "This is a victory for the little guys ... No one is above the law."
When asked what message the verdict sent to investors, he said the "middle investors" may feel more secure.
"Maybe it's a victory for the little guys who lose money in the market because of these kinds of transactions," said juror Chappell Hartridge.

STEWART cited his comments as evidence he was biased against wealthy executives.

At times, the trial seemed more fodder for gossip columns than the financial pages. Stewart's arrival each day was chronicled by a barrage of photographers and camera crews and tabloid commentary, and in court she was portrayed as rude, insulting, demanding and cheap CNN
CNN.com - Juror: 'Victory for the little guys' - Mar. 5, 2004

Last edited:
Multiple emails illustrate in greater detail how the couple worked with Singer and his associates to create fake athletic profiles for their two daughters to get into USC. In one element of the profile created for their older daughter, she is described as “an earnest, outspoken, incredibly positive-minded coxswain” who “puts extra effort in to everything she does.”

One email exchange discusses the photos used of that daughter as a part of the profile. After Singer sent now-former USC official Donna Heinel the falsified profile of the older Giannulli daughter, Heinel requested a different photo of the girl.

“Donna asked for a picture of her in a boat,” Singer wrote to one of his associates. “Is there a coxswain picture we can use that is tough to see the face since they are sitting online?” Singer wrote.

Giannulli’s deep ties to USC extended in other ways as well. When he was set to play golf with the then-USC Athletics Director Pat Haden at Augusta National, he emailed Singer that he wasn’t going to say anything about their working together. In response, Singer referenced a meeting with Haden a year prior when Haden told him that he “felt you were good for a million plus.” Giannulli replied, “HAH!!”

Other emails shed light on the payment and donation process when it came to the Key Worldwide Foundation, the sham charity run by Singer. When Singer instructed the couple to send a $50,000 check payable to USC Womens (sic) Athletics and another $200,000 to Singer’s fake charity the Key Worldwide Foundation, Giannulli forwarded the $200,000 invoice to his financial adviser and wrote “the last college ‘donation’ for [my younger daughter]. Can’t I write this off?”

New Evidence Against Lori Loughlin And Husband Revealed In College Admissions Scandal

Someone brought up an interesting point, niether Loughlin nor Giannulli attended college.
https://pagesix.com/2019/04/17/moss...ng-usc-in-the-80s-took-parents-tuition-money/

Giannulli kept the tuition money, to start his own business, and Loughlin, started her acting career at age 11, she graduated from high school, and focused on her acting career.

These parents were not academic achievers. I have found, even in my own kids, that "the "apple" doesn't fall far from the "tree".".
Meaning, it is obvious that the parents were not interested in college for themselves, yet went to extraordinary lengths to ensure that their children attended a prestigious college.

This had nothing to do with their kids, or their interests. It was always about them.

Disappointing isn’t it. It’s as though she can’t identify with the human race. So with that attitude, she also can’t see the truth, or how she comes across to the rest of the real world. And doesn’t care. She lives in her own world, entitled, and quite narcissistic. It’s a shame really. Is it that way with all “stars”? I think so to some degree, but what she did really crossed the line... crossed the line into our world.

What these people did was like spitting in every other persons face who either did or didn’t get into these schools, and went about it honestly without cheating. And for those whose spots they stole... what’s that called a “double punch”?

Isn’t MS 13 part of the Mexican Mafia? One of the most violently brutal street gangs?

Could this possibly take some of these people down a notch? (... Not holding my breath).
Federal Magistrate Judge Page Kelley announced a proposal for "staggered" group trials at a hearing Friday in federal court. She said it's the preference of U.S. District Judge Nathaniel Gorton, who will preside over the parents' trials in the blockbuster "Varsity Blues" case.

“I think three groupings, depending on how many parents the government thinks will make it that far, could be a good resolution," Kelley said. The "sorting of defendants" would still be subject to change before trials begin, she said.

She compared the grouping arrangement to a federal MS-13 gang case in 2018, also tried in Boston, that featured multiple defendants facing racketeering charges.

Singer sent kids to be tested to different testing sites outside of their schools where he had an inside person there and could control the site. A proctor there who would turn the other way for cheating or falsify the test results, or when someone else was taking a test for an applicant instead. Those are all part of the investigation and those proctors or site overseers who were working for Singer have been charged.

Test-Site Administrator to Plead Guilty in College Admissions Case

Igor Dvorskiy, a West Hollywood, Calif., high school administrator who prosecutors say took bribes to allow a test proctor to cheat on SAT and ACT exams, has agreed to plead guilty in connection to his role in the sprawling college-admissions cheating scheme, according to a plea agreement filed with the court.

Mr. Dvorskiy’s school, the West Hollywood College Preparatory School, was allegedly one of two testing sites Mr. Singer used in his scheme. Mr. Singer boasted he could “control the site” and help clients’ children get impressive test scores by paying off people like Mr. Dvorskiy, according to court-authorized recordings of phone calls last year.

~

Documents allege how testing center, accomplices helped students cheat on exam

The two Houston residents charged in the nationwide college admissions and bribery scam ran a testing center at Jack Yates High School that allegedly helped at least three out-of-town students cheat on their exams, according to court documents.

William Rick Singer, the alleged mastermind behind the scandal, instructed clients willing to pay to get their children into prestigious schools — that he “controlled” the testing center at Yates, where Houston resident Niki Williams worked as a teaching assistant, according to court documents.

Multiple emails illustrate in greater detail how the couple worked with Singer and his associates to create fake athletic profiles for their two daughters to get into USC. In one element of the profile created for their older daughter, she is described as “an earnest, outspoken, incredibly positive-minded coxswain” who “puts extra effort in to everything she does.”

One email exchange discusses the photos used of that daughter as a part of the profile. After Singer sent now-former USC official Donna Heinel the falsified profile of the older Giannulli daughter, Heinel requested a different photo of the girl.

“Donna asked for a picture of her in a boat,” Singer wrote to one of his associates. “Is there a coxswain picture we can use that is tough to see the face since they are sitting online?” Singer wrote.

Giannulli’s deep ties to USC extended in other ways as well. When he was set to play golf with the then-USC Athletics Director Pat Haden at Augusta National, he emailed Singer that he wasn’t going to say anything about their working together. In response, Singer referenced a meeting with Haden a year prior when Haden told him that he “felt you were good for a million plus.” Giannulli replied, “HAH!!”

Other emails shed light on the payment and donation process when it came to the Key Worldwide Foundation, the sham charity run by Singer. When Singer instructed the couple to send a $50,000 check payable to USC Womens (sic) Athletics and another $200,000 to Singer’s fake charity the Key Worldwide Foundation, Giannulli forwarded the $200,000 invoice to his financial adviser and wrote “the last college ‘donation’ for [my younger daughter]. Can’t I write this off?”

New Evidence Against Lori Loughlin And Husband Revealed In College Admissions Scandal
Lol even Moss put 'donation' in quotations.

Singer sent kids to be tested to different testing sites outside of their schools where he had an inside person there and could control the site. A proctor there who would turn the other way for cheating or falsify the test results, or when someone else was taking a test for an applicant instead. Those are all part of the investigation and those proctors or site overseers who were working for Singer have been charged.

Test-Site Administrator to Plead Guilty in College Admissions Case

Igor Dvorskiy, a West Hollywood, Calif., high school administrator who prosecutors say took bribes to allow a test proctor to cheat on SAT and ACT exams, has agreed to plead guilty in connection to his role in the sprawling college-admissions cheating scheme, according to a plea agreement filed with the court.

Mr. Dvorskiy’s school, the West Hollywood College Preparatory School, was allegedly one of two testing sites Mr. Singer used in his scheme. Mr. Singer boasted he could “control the site” and help clients’ children get impressive test scores by paying off people like Mr. Dvorskiy, according to court-authorized recordings of phone calls last year.

~

Documents allege how testing center, accomplices helped students cheat on exam

The two Houston residents charged in the nationwide college admissions and bribery scam ran a testing center at Jack Yates High School that allegedly helped at least three out-of-town students cheat on their exams, according to court documents.

William Rick Singer, the alleged mastermind behind the scandal, instructed clients willing to pay to get their children into prestigious schools — that he “controlled” the testing center at Yates, where Houston resident Niki Williams worked as a teaching assistant, according to court documents.

Who surprises me is Riddell. I think one can train himself to take these tests well, especially if you are a natural test-taker, but the guy looks really smart, and it seems he could have use his natural aptitudes better then fly somewhere to take tests for lazy kids, 10K apiece. Now his career is totally over, was it even worth it?

Who surprises me is Riddell. I think one can train himself to take these tests well, especially if you are a natural test-taker, but the guy looks really smart, and it seems he could have use his natural aptitudes better then fly somewhere to take tests for lazy kids, 10K apiece. Now his career is totally over, was it even worth it?
No.
A family member of mine worked in a large State Prison and was asked by inmates on various occasions if he would do them a "favor."

One time an inmate told him that people on the outside would pay him $10,00 to smuggle drugs in (something related to drugs) and he said back to the inmate:

"I will do it for 3 million dollars."
The inmate looked surprised and said:

"Why would you want so much? "
He told the inmate:

"If I get caught I will loose my job, both my wife and I will loose my lifetime pension with health benefits, me and my wife and kids will loose all of our medical/prescription/dental/vision coverage, I won't be able to get another job at this pay because I will loose my seniority and not get a good reference which will lower my eventual social security payments, I won't be able to provide for my family and pay my current bills...ETC....

So the inmate is like:
" Oh, I didn't think of all that. "

The point I'm making is that people like Riddell, who you mention, are short sited. They are only seeing $ signs at that moment and thinking how great it would be to make such a large amount of money so easily and buy that outdoor below ground pool, pay off the truck, go to Disney Land and stay in a 4 star hotel with all the extra perks, go on shopping sprees...ETC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J_M_U