NC - 12-year-old dies at Trails Carolina wilderness therapy camp, Lake Toxaway, February 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is what I was thinking...
was worried he could have been attacked by another/other resident(s) of the bunkhouse and was not able to fight back because he was restrained
You would have thought that the boy would yell, that is unless his mouth was taped or hands were over it.
Where were the counselors located in between checking on him?
At a distance where they couldn't hear what was going on in the cabin?
What about the alarm that went off if the 12 yr old boy tried to get out of the bag he was restrained in?

It's definitely a possibility.

A nature enthusiast, Hyde, 35, had years of experience with recreational outdoor activities. So when the pandemic left him unemployed, he got a job as a "wilderness field instructor" at Trails Carolina.

He was familiar with the reputation of the wilderness therapy industry. In 2014, 17-year-old Alec Lansing died while running away from the same program. But Hyde assumed the claims of mistreatment he had heard whispers about had improved.

He says now that notion was wrong.

According to its website, the program's groups are led by "experienced, licensed therapists who specialize in working with youth who fit their group’s profile."

"There was a couple of weeks there where the licensed therapist wouldn't even show up to that group, and it was her assistant who didn't even have credentials," he says. "If you're paying that much money, I would think you'd be getting therapy multiple times a week."

When reached for comment, Trails Carolina said primary therapists are on site "two to three days per week" to oversee each participant's individualized treatment plan and monitor progress.

"Therapeutic progress occurs seven days a week in the field through the assignments, activities and challenges outlined in each student’s treatment plan to help them grow emotionally and develop transferable skills that can be used outside the program in real life," Trails Carolina said in an emailed statement.

While students also participated in activities like art or yoga once a week, Hyde doesn't believe most campers got the professional help they needed.

"Whenever the therapist did come in, it was pretty rare that they actually would talk to us – the people that had been with the kids for this lengthy amount of time – just to see how the week had (gone)."

The remainder of the 24/7 schedule was spent with field instructors like himself, who he felt were ill-equipped to handle the level of care some of the campers needed.

"Some of these kids are trying to kill themselves. I didn't feel really prepared for exactly what I was getting into."

That was in part, he says, because what was supposed to be a five-day training was cut in half and mostly focused on what type of gear they were allowed to bring, what tools and restraints they would have at their disposal. Hyde says he was let go when he pushed back on some of the program's practices.

Trails Carolina says its staff partakes in a long list of training, including sessions in first aid, nutrition, suicide prevention and crisis de-escalation. The program denied Hyde's version of events and said he was dismissed for violating the program's policies and philosophies.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/health-wellness/2024/02/20/north-carolina-wilderness-therapy-death-12-year-old-boy/72669232007/#:~:text=He's%20not%20the%20first.&text=North%20Carolina%20health%20officials%20said,year%2Dold%20New%20York%20boy.

So much for the "safe space" - doesn't sound all that safe to me and doesn't sound like there is much therapy by accredited healthcare professionals is going on. JMO

If so, I wonder if they are seated with other passengers. Or, perhaps, they are transported on a plane just for them? An extra or chartered flight?

ETA: or chartered

It seems they fly with everyone else from stories I have read. I am unsure what the airport could do when the parents sign all kinds of legal documents for these places to transport their kids.

I was looking to see NCs laws regarding restraint and seclusion, specifically orders and observation status. I work in a very different setting (inpatient psychiatry department of a large academic hospital, ancillary clinical professional) in a different state. Here, seclusion/restraint requires MD face to face with updated order every 2 hours (adults, I'm not sure of child/adolescent) with continuous staff observation for the entirety of seclusion/restraint.
I found this:

Would this apply to Trails Carolina setting? It's interesting reading.

If anyone here is interested in learning about Wilderness Therapy Programs, I'd highly recommend researching the #BreakingCodeSilence or any of the interviews Paris Hilton has done. Its terrifying these types of places are allowed to exist.

Sure aren't finding a lot of testimonials from people who have attended these camps or sent their children there that are singing their praises, are we?

It's stunning, to me, that legally, these places are allowed.
The most I have seen is people saying it straightened them out, like stopping drugs or running away. But they ended up dealing with a lot of new trauma or other mental health struggles especially when they got older and realized this situation was not normal.

BBM
Counselors/staff"

That question came up awhile ago.
Did they give him any meds and if so what meds?

Meds he arrived with prescribed by his NY doctor or in-house meds that the camp doctor gives the camp?
The counselor did say that when he arrived he was "loud" and "irate" and wouldn't eat dinner.

Then they said he calmed down and then ate some snacks,
Did he calm down from being medicated?

Next thing we're told is it's midnight and he had a panic attack.
Whatever the truth is that the boy experienced at midnight was he given meds again along with god knows what else happened to him?

I'm curious if the family hired their own pathologist for a 2nd autopsy?
I find it hard to believe they haven;t.
Another benefit for them is it will be months before NC autopsy is completed.

So far we don't have verification that the panic attack was at midnight-ish (could it have been earlier?) or that there was a panic attack at all.

IMO camp staff decided on a "wake up" time of 8 am (which MUST be bogus), and pinned times to it. If the cabin was woken up at 5-6 am, as is much more likely, the story would be very different.

Many, many years ago my junior high through high school boyfriend went to “wilderness camp,” and I always thought it was a form of what we would call juvie today. He was a truant, shoplifter, underage drinker, had some minor drug offenses, didn’t have a good family life. His younger brother went to the same camp a couple years after he did. This was in NC, around 35 years ago. His family was not of means to pay for a camp like Trails, and I know for certain there wasn’t abuse there. Scrapes with other campers, yes. I was sent a lot of woodworking projects and love letters. They were both able to go home so many weekends during their stay, and both of them stayed at camp for about a year, which was devastating to my 14-15 year old self. I am trying to find more information on if there are still similar types of these camps for juveniles that are run by the department of correction. Unfortunately I can’t ask my former childhood love, as he passed a few years ago. I wonder if camps like Trails were intended to be modeled after the juvenile camp and instead turned much worse. I know neither one of the boys were taken from their homes.

My dad went into a nursing home for a 1-2 week stay to use their physical re-hab wing for strengthening his legs.
He was 84 and wasn't on any prescribed medications.
On his 2nd night there he was given "Haldol",when I visited him the next morning he was asleep and they told me he was "agitated" and the nursing home doctor prescribed it..She never even met him ,no less knew anything about him.
Giving Hadol was their go-to policy.

I woke him up and had brought in a delish breakfast from home for him.
As he was eating he aspirated ( unbeknownst to me) and soon after stopped breathing.
I screamed or the nurse, they threw me out of the room and I called 911 and got him as he lay unconscious across the street to the hospital.
He never regained consciousness ( except for a midnight squeeze of my hand) as I lay next to him on a cot) and passed away the next morning about 10:30 am.
So sorry you experienced that @Izzylizzy. We are going through something similar with my father right now.

So far we don't have verification that the panic attack was at midnight-ish (could it have been earlier?) or that there was a panic attack at all.

IMO camp staff decided on a "wake up" time of 8 am (which MUST be bogus), and pinned times to it. If the cabin was woken up at 5-6 am, as is much more likely, the story would be very different.
The 8 am is a sick joke, the kids being permitted to sleep-in to that time would be a luxury.
The FBI will/did crack these counselors in a heartbeat.
I highly doubt any of them have the means for a lawyer, no less a good one.
Curious if Trails is so scared that they lawyer'ed-up the counselors.

We've seen the "foam in the mouth" symptoms from previous cases, e.g. Tammy Daybell. The cause was asphyxiation.

In this case, the warrant paperwork points to the idea that it might be poison. That's for the ME to determine.

In pondering the petechiae around this child's lips and mouth of the report, coupled with the possibility of a poisoning, I found that prolonged straining from coughing or vomiting can cause petechiae. I suppose a medication too strong for his physical size could cause a certain poisoning that'd force him to vomit the contents of the tummy.

Petechiae Caused from Prolonged Straining (Mayo Clinic)

Petechiae form when capillaries bleed, leaking blood into the skin or mucous membrane. Tiny spots on the face, neck and chest can be caused by straining for a long time from coughing, vomiting, giving birth or lifting weights.

Foaming at the mouth: Causes and what to do - Medical …

Foaming or frothing at the mouth occurs when excess saliva pools in the mouth or lungs and is mixed with air, creating foam. Causes can include drug overdose and seizures.

I firmly believe this will be a case of positional asphyxiation caused by poor restraint practices.

The classical signs of asphyxia mentioned (petechial hemorrhages of the conjunctivae, viscera and/or skin, cerebral and/or pulmonary edema, visceral congestion, the fluidity of the blood) have been used in the diagnosis of asphyxial death for many years.

Asphyxiation causes hypoxia (lack of oxygen). When breathing stops or slows, fluid gathers in your lungs (pulmonary edema). When the fluid mixes with air, it can come out of the mouth like a foam. Jugular vein distention is a symptom of heart failure. And as we all know, the heart fails when the brain is deprived of oxygen.

While I can't completely rule out a poisoning or an overdose of some kind, I think it's unlikely for two reasons:
1) Staff thoroughly searches each child and confiscates their belongings during the intake process
2) The position in which CJH was discovered isn't indicative of an overdose or poisoning death

I'd also be very surprised if the camp had any toxic cleaners or harmful substances onsite within reach of the children. Not to mention, from the testimonials I've read... their every move is watched 24/7 (especially during their first few days).

This is all in my very humble opinion, of course.

I firmly believe this will be a case of positional asphyxiation caused by poor restraint practices.

Not to mention, from the testimonials I've read... their every move is watched 24/7 (especially during their first few days).
If this is true, how did he manage to asphyxiate without someone noticing?

When considering wilderness therapy, she says families should look for camps with proper accreditation and evidence-based treatments. She also recommends staying away from camps with previous legal or ethical issues.

“First off, you are not alone,” Spear said. “There are resources and support out there for you. At the same time, some of these camps are great. I don't want this to be anti-wilderness camp propaganda or whatever. But more of something to say, be mindful, be cautious. Your teen’s an incredible person. You want to be able to provide them the best care.”

The Transylvania County Sheriff’s Office, county Department of Social Services and the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services are still investigating Trails Carolina. The investigation comes after a boy died at the camp earlier this month. No kids are allowed at the camp until April 14 according to an order from DHHS.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BranVan
Back