NC NC - Christine Leigh Martin Owensby, 18, stabbed at home, Mount Olive, Feb 1987

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Von Moltke

Former Member
Reaction score
Star-News 26 Feb 1987: 18 year old Christine Leigh Martin Owensby, married to a military man was found stabbed at home, after her boss noticed he didn't come to work. She was also killed on 20/02/87 a few days before Beverly Jay Potter Mintz (23/02/1987) both cases occurred in NC, but there is no proof they are connected although a few similarities exist.

The case didn't get the attention it deserved in the press. Can anyone provide more information on this ?

The womens' fatal injuries seemed similar. Both were wives of military men who weren't at home. Sexual assault is mentioned with one victim, probably happened to the other as well. The two cities are about 80 miles apart. I wonder if any LE retained the evidence from the sexual assaults? It might be a good idea to do DNA tests, if possible.

Both women were at home, alone. Murders may have taken place at night, since one woman was found by her mother the next afternoon, the second by her employer when she didn't show up for work. It was mid-winter, when a random killer could expect to find a woman at home.

The womens' fatal injuries seemed similar. Both were wives of military men who weren't at home. Sexual assault is mentioned with one victim, probably happened to the other as well. The two cities are about 80 miles apart. I wonder if any LE retained the evidence from the sexual assaults? It might be a good idea to do DNA tests, if possible.

Both women were at home, alone. Murders may have taken place at night, since one woman was found by her mother the next afternoon, the second by her employer when she didn't show up for work. It was mid-winter, when a random killer could expect to find a woman at home.
And you are right. What surprises me is that in the case of Christina (the wife of a military man) the whole affair didn't receive the same attention as Beverly's did. Being rich wasn't the cause, as Jay wasn't wealthy, just a regular person who was striving to raise her children.

And you are right. What surprises me is that in the case of Christina (the wife of a military man) the whole affair didn't receive the same attention as Beverly's did. Being rich wasn't the cause, as Jay wasn't wealthy, just a regular person who was striving to raise her children.
These attacks were horrendous. Very violent and vicious. The women were stabbed mostly in the chest and head.

Christine's father was a Master Sgt, assume he was also stationed at Ft. Bragg? Her husband was stationed there. He was gone on overnight training when she was killed

The couple had recently moved into the apartment. She was stabbed more than 10 times in the head and chest.

Recent story about Beverly's (Jaye's) murder

She had taken out an ad to sell a waterbed and used her mother's phone number. Her mom called the day of her murder and told her a man had called and was coming to Beverly's apartment to buy the water bed. Beverly had already sold it, but the man was already on his way to her apt.

She had also been receiving very obscene phone calls after placing the ad in the paper to sell the water bed. The caller would target Jaye's cousin, who shared the apartment.

Last edited:
These attacks were horrendous. Very violent and vicious. The women were stabbed mostly in the chest and head.

Christine's father was a Master Sgt, assume he was also stationed at Ft. Bragg? Her husband was stationed there. He was gone on overnight training when she was killed

The couple had recently moved into the apartment. She was stabbed more than 10 times in the head and chest.

Sorry, I have no access to the newspapers. Is it possible to send me a screen image of them?

Recent story about Beverly's (Jaye's) murder

She had taken out an ad to sell a waterbed and used her mother's phone number. Her mom called the day of her murder and told her a man had called and was coming to Beverly's apartment to buy the water bed. Beverly had already sold it, but the man was already on his way to her apt.

She had also been receiving very obscene phone calls after placing the ad in the paper to sell the water bed. The caller would target Jaye's cousin, who shared the apartment.
You will find this thread very interesting:

You will find this thread very interesting:

Thanks!

Again, whoever has more information please bring it up here, thanks !

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgieCat
Back