Found Deceased NC - Devin Clark, 18, Lyric Woods, 14, found murdered after going missing in Alamance Co., 16 Sep 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally

Hoping for transfer to adult court.

Jmo

Daniel Meier is a defense attorney who mostly handles cases in Durham County. He handles a few cases in Orange County. Meier spoke in detail on the legal proceedings, considering there are two first-degree murder charges listed in the petition.

"If you're charged with murder, and you're 16 or 17 years old, it's going to be an automatic transfer," Meier said. "He will be transferred to adult court and prosecuted as the law requires."

A suspect is officially in custody for the deaths of North Carolina teens Lyric Woods and Devin Clark.

Woods, 14, and Clark, 18, were found shot to death along a hiking trail in Orange County, according to a statement from the Orange County Sheriff's Office. Shortly after, officials said they identified a 17-year-old suspect, but had not arrested them yet. The suspect's name was not released as they are a minor.

On Wednesday, the OCSO announced that "authorities detained a juvenile in connection" with the deaths of Woods and Clark.

[..]

North Carolina law prohibits anyone from sharing any details about the case — including the detainee's name, where he was arrested, nor which officer took him into custody — as long as it's under the Juvenile Court's jurisdiction.

Added Blackwood: "We understand our community is hungry for information to help process this tragedy; however, the laws regarding juvenile confidentiality are ironclad. We have no ability to set them aside, even given the heightened interest in this case."

Joe Concepcion Jr., Clark's uncle, opened up to Rolling Stone about the frustration and uneasiness his family felt after authorities initially shared news of the 17-year-old suspect, but did not identify them or provide any further details.

"We can't find his phone, we don't know where his backpack is," Concepcion said of his nephew. "We don't know nothing. We didn't even have an open funeral. They had to put the pieces together."

Mallory Thornton, whose daughter was friends with Woods, added that the victims' friends were afraid to go to school with an unknown suspect at large.

"These children are literally fighting over this case," she said. "[Blackwood should] come out and look these children in the face and say, 'Hey, I understand what you're saying, but I'm not at liberty to say certain things about the case, I just want to reassure you that you're safe.' "

Our Nexstar affiliate, WGHP, confirmed with the Orange County District Attorney that the suspect was arrested out of state.

Our Nexstar affiliate, WGHP, confirmed with the Orange County District Attorney that the suspect was arrested out of state.

curious how far he got, if he was with relatives, if he was being helped by anyone. I am hoping he gets before a judge quickly so that answers can start coming for these families.

curious how far he got, if he was with relatives, if he was being helped by anyone. I am hoping he gets before a judge quickly so that answers can start coming for these families.
What's been obvious from the beginning is that Clark's grieving family is fractured.

While Clark's paternal family (where dad was the custodial parent) and the parents and step-parents of Woods have kept low profiles, Clark's mother is on the local media circuit seeking to talk about the case and voice her complaints about the Sheriff not sharing the identity of the suspect or where he was apprehended. To be clear, this is not info being withheld from the mother, or any of the parents, it's prohibited by the statute.

Recently, the maternal family told reporters they wanted the 911 call (presumably by Clark's father) reporting their son missing released. It could just be a coincidence but now the DA has sealed these 911 calls from the night the teens were reported missing.

I don't doubt that the defendant, in this case, will be charged as an adult but this is not the kind of pre-arraignment, public attention that a case like this needs when you want the minor defendant to be fast-tracked from juvenile petition status to an adult court. Instead, this is just an invitation for the defense to begin filing motions citing MSM, social media, and allegations of leaks about the case where ultimately, we will have to wait months instead of weeks before the case is moved to Superior Court. MOO

I'm guessing it was the US Marshal Service that tracked him down and put the cuffs on him. Founded in 1789 they have the legal authority to cross state lines.

I'm guessing it was the US Marshal Service that tracked him down and put the cuffs on him. Founded in 1789 they have the legal authority to cross state lines.
Probably, and US Marshals = fugitive of significance

The North Carolina law has been discussed a lot, but I will restate my opinion in simple terms.

There’s something wrong with the North Carolina minor law. Based on the way this case played out in real life, violent felony fugitives who are 16 or 17 should NOT get its protections.

17 year old shoplifters can get protection from unnecessary publicity and character assassination before they are found guilty.

17-year-old murderers on the run for weeks should NOT get protection from publicity when it is the publics right to know about a murderous fugitive in their midst, and when law-enforcement may need the publics help in looking out for fugitive or evidence.

Last edited:

The North Carolina law has been discussed a lot, but I will restate my opinion in simple terms.

There’s something wrong with the North Carolina minor law. Based on the way this case played out in real life, violent felony fugitives who are 16 or 17 should NOT get its protections.

17 year old shoplifters can get protection from unnecessary publicity and character assassination before they are found guilty.

17-year-old murderers on the run for weeks should NOT get protection from publicity when it is the publics right to know about a murderous fugitive in their midst, and when law-enforcement may need the publics help in looking out for fugitive or evidence.

Here is a link to a document that provides a simplified explanation of how to take action to "fix" the Raise-the-Age legislation:

Couldn't agree more. Would this law still hold up if he committed a mass shooting then went on the run?

It's still astonishing to me how his name wasn't leaked by his peers or even the media. I remember when I was in school, all the big social news from our school and all neighboring schools traveled like wildfire (who's dating who, who broke up with who, who fought who, all the beefs/jealously situations/tiffs, drugs, suspensions, all the clique dynamics, automotive incidents, whose parents are out of town, where the parties are and the list just goes on and on)

and this was without social media, just talking/passing notes. These days kids have an assortment of advanced communication devices + platforms and are attached to them 24/7 as if they are life support machines. Tiktok, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Roblox, Discord, Fortnite, Whatsapp. All of these mediums, in a small town while also having access to the old methods of just talking/passing notes and not a single leak of the name?

Maybe it was made clear in the schools by law enforcement that leaking his name would result in what "Seattle1" was posting about with the defense now having material to file various motions against.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. Would this law still hold up if he committed a mass shooting then went on the run?

It's still astonishing to me how his name wasn't leaked by his peers or even the media. I remember when I was in school, all the big social news from our school and all neighboring schools traveled like wildfire (who's dating who, who broke up with who, who fought who, all the beefs/jealously situations/tiffs, drugs, suspensions, traffic incidents, whose parents are out of town, where the parties are and the list just goes on and on)

and this was without social media, just talking/passing notes. These days kids have an assortment of advanced communication devices + platforms and are attached to them 24/7 as if they are life support machines. Tiktok, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Roblox, Discord, Fortnite, Whatsapp. All of these mediums, in a small town while also having access to the old methods of just talking/passing notes and not a single leak of the name?

Maybe it was made clear in the schools by law enforcement that leaking his name would result in what "Seattle1" was posting about with the defense now having material to file various motions against.
I have no doubt this information was circulating via local teens on Snapchat, etc. The fact that LE identified the suspected shooter so quickly is telling. Just because we didn't read it here does not mean they were not talking. Also, no MSM would repeat this info then or now without legal consequences.

I have no doubt this information was circulating via local teens on Snapchat, etc. The fact that LE identified the suspected shooter so quickly is telling. Just because we didn't read it here does not mean they were not talking. Also, no MSM would repeat this info then or now without legal consequences.
I'm pretty sure his name is known by many, in the area, but I am a bit surprised that some national MSM source has not divulged it yet. Lily Peters' 14-year-old cousin, C P-B, was outted pretty quickly.

I'm pretty sure his name is known by many, in the area, but I am a bit surprised that some national MSM source has not divulged it yet. Lily Peters' 14-year-old cousin, C P-B, was outted pretty quickly.

This is interesting. Given that Lily was murdered by her cousin, I imagine the leak and subsequent media attention were very difficult for the family. If a family member were involved in the murders of Devin and Lyric, then perhaps local media outlets are kindly keeping the information under wraps. Not to mention the possible legal repercussions associated with leaking the name of a minor. I’m not sure national outlets would extend the same consideration, though.

Given Lily was last seen alive at the perp's home, not difficult to break, and probably not the best comparison. And haven't seen this case getting national attention either??

ETA: In general, under the First Amendment the truthful publication of the identity of a juvenile who has been accused of a serious crime cannot be punished. Depending on the jurisdiction, I've seen this argued as the chicken and the egg defense whereas the rule of law is settled on whether or not the name was obtained lawfully.

Last edited:
This is interesting. Given that Lily was murdered by her cousin, I imagine the leak and subsequent media attention were very difficult for the family. If a family member were involved in the murders of Devin and Lyric, then perhaps local media outlets are kindly keeping the information under wraps. Not to mention the possible legal repercussions associated with leaking the name of a minor. I’m not sure national outlets would extend the same consideration, though.
^^BBM
This is what happened with the case referenced by OP where locals followed protocol to report that the perp was not a stranger to the victim.

"The suspect was not a stranger. The suspect was known to the victim," Kelm said, according to CBS Minnesota. "We do not believe there is any danger to the community at this time."

The suspect was arrested at a home located on the same block as Peters' aunt's home, which is where she was last seen on Sunday, CBS Minnesota reported.

Given Lily was last seen alive at the perp's home, not difficult to break, and probably not the best comparison. And haven't seen this case getting national attention either??

ETA: In general, under the First Amendment the truthful publication of the identity of a juvenile who has been accused of a serious crime cannot be punished. Depending on the jurisdiction, I've seen this argued as the chicken and the egg defense whereas the rule of law is settled on whether or not the name was obtained lawfully.
While I agree that this case has not gotten the level of attention that the Lily Peters case did, or the level of attention that it deserves, at least as of yet, a minimal amount of searching shows that these murders were indeed reported nationally by, among others, NBC News, CBS News, NewsNation, FoxNews, Inside Edition, Rolling Stone, People, The Daily Mail, The Sun, and The NewYork Post. JMO

While I agree that this case has not gotten the level of attention that the Lily Peters case did, or the level of attention that it deserves, at least as of yet, a minimal amount of searching shows that these murders were indeed reported nationally by, among others, NBC News, CBS News, NewsNation, FoxNews, Inside Edition, Rolling Stone, People, The Daily Mail, The Sun, and The NewYork Post. JMO
Sorry, my post was unclear @SteveP. I should have clarified -- not getting national attention past the initial reporting, and where no reporters were sent to the area to follow up and interview locals, families, and authorities.

Sorry, my post was unclear @SteveP. I should have clarified -- not getting national attention past the initial reporting, and where no reporters were sent to the area to follow up and interview locals, families, and authorities.
Complete speculation here, but perhaps reporters received tips that the suspect would be a juvenile and realized that under NC law, there wouldn't be much to report on for a while.

Suspect in custody! Official statement from Orange County Sheriff's Office.....

That's good news, relatively speaking.

I hadn't looked at this thread for a little while, but I thought of another possible reason why the suspect's identity hasn't been published, and it's that he's in the foster care system. I thought of it because a few years ago, there was a local TV news report that a 15-year-old had been found dead from a gunshot wound in their home, which was in a middle-class neighborhood, and we just plain old never heard any more about it. A woman I know who has done foster care for some years (and adopted two of those children) said that this was the most likely scenario. She also hinted that she knew him and his foster parents, but we knew not to ask any more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member