Found Deceased NC - Devin Clark, 18, Lyric Woods, 14, found murdered after going missing in Alamance Co., 16 Sep 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guessing the suspect has not gone before a judge yet, I thought it has to be completed within 10 days?
I've read it has to be brought before a juvenile judge to request the case be moved to an adult case within ten days, but I've also read that the accused has ten days to appeal the transfer to adult court, not sure if both or either are correct. If it's the former then it'll be ten days 10/14, if it's the latter it could be the defense has appealed the transfer, and if it's both then it could be another eleven days before it's decided. To me, it doesn't seem at all wise to slow-walk bringing it to the court for transfer to adult court when it's a first degree murder case unless they're working behind scene trying to get a plea or still processing evidence/interviews, etc. I'm not from NC, but I lived not far from there for three years when I was working on a PhD at Duke, and I recall cases where local authorities had a tendency to slow the process down on purpose to get things right.

"Orange County Sheriff's Office - North Carolina Not everyone is prohibited from releasing name and photo. The law, however, applies to law enforcement and other categories of people associated with the justice system. A family member, a neighbor, or someone else who has the ability to do so is not automatically forbidden from releasing it."

please delete if not acceptable but accd to orange county sheriff's office, it seems as though the name of the suspect *could* be released, just not officially through law enforcement if the above statement is correct ... this was their response after being questioned about why the raleigh mass shooting suspect's name was released/revealed so quickly.

“The way you get the case to the superior court is to send a bill of indictment to the grand jury,” said Nieman. “Same here with juvenile court. If the DA elects to seek transfer of the case to superior court to adult court then we would send a bill of indictment to the grand jury, they would convene in a similar way and if they return a true bill of indictment then that effectively does transfer the case to Superior Court.”

“The way you get the case to the superior court is to send a bill of indictment to the grand jury,” said Nieman. “Same here with juvenile court. If the DA elects to seek transfer of the case to superior court to adult court then we would send a bill of indictment to the grand jury, they would convene in a similar way and if they return a true bill of indictment then that effectively does transfer the case to Superior Court.”

Thank you for that information! I didn't realize it had to through a grand jury. I was thinking prosecutors just had to request of the judge. I will keep tapping my foot a bit longer (albeit impatiently).

The 17-year-old suspect was in court today, but apparently only a procedural hearing, mainly to decide if he will be restrained in future hearings. Apparently no mention yet of moving it from juvenile court. Cameras and reporters were not allowed inside the courtroom.

The 17-year-old suspect was in court today, but apparently only a procedural hearing, mainly to decide if he will be restrained in future hearings. Apparently no mention yet of moving it from juvenile court. Cameras and reporters were not allowed inside the courtroom.

^^BBM

Today's hearing was called a "secure custody hearing" not to be confused with restraints.

In juvenile proceedings, a secure custody hearing (procedural) is essentially the equivalent of a bond hearing in adult court. Clearly, they decided that the defendant will remain in custody. I believe the defendant will next have his probable cause hearing and once the Court rules there's sufficient evidence to bind the case over for trial, the decision can be made to move the case to adult court. MOO

“The next steps are that the juvenile will be taken to a district court judge for secure custody hearing,” said Nieman. “Essentially it’s the equivalent of a bond hearing in adult court except for an adult court the judge will often make a determination about a monetary amount that the person can or must post to be released awaiting trial. There’s no money involved at the juvenile level. It’s simply a decision of whether or not the person will remain in custody or will be released.”

We also know from earlier reports that despite the revised law, with probable cause, the DA can fast-track the reverse petition to move the charges to adult court as what happened very quickly for the Graham murders where two defendants including a 14 yo should quickly be moved and charged in adult court.

ETA: 9/21/22 -- minors arrested:

GRAHAM, N.C.
— Two teenage boys, ages 14 and 17, were arrested in connection to the deaths of two other teenage boys in Graham in August.
Graham police said on Tuesday night that investigators obtained secure custody orders for the suspects. Police have not identified them due to to their ages, but both are facing first-degree murder charges.

9/23/22 --Third suspect arrested:

Today, the department has announced the arrest of a third suspect, a Durham man charged with two counts of being an accessory after the fact to first degree murder.

Taijon Martre Laury, 20, was originally arrested this morning in Durham on one count of a probation violation. Graham police report that he was given a $1 million secured bond on that charge.

9/27/22 -- Teens arraigned in court and named by MSM:

The probable cause hearing 10/11/22 for Tyshon Wiley, 17.

14-year-old Kymoni Melendez Poteat, who was not present in person or via an online connection. Khot agreed to waive the initial secure custody hearing for her client.

Poteat’s next hearing, a review of the security custody order which requires him to remain in detention pending trial, was scheduled for October 4; a probable cause hearing was set for Wiley on October 11.

^^BBM

Today's hearing was called a "secure custody hearing" not to be confused with restraints.

In juvenile proceedings, a secure custody hearing (procedural) is essentially the equivalent of a bond hearing in adult court. Clearly, they decided that the defendant will remain in custody. I believe the defendant will next have his probable cause hearing and once the Court rules there's sufficient evidence to bind the case over for trial, the decision can be made to move the case to adult court. MOO

“The next steps are that the juvenile will be taken to a district court judge for secure custody hearing,” said Nieman. “Essentially it’s the equivalent of a bond hearing in adult court except for an adult court the judge will often make a determination about a monetary amount that the person can or must post to be released awaiting trial. There’s no money involved at the juvenile level. It’s simply a decision of whether or not the person will remain in custody or will be released.”

This is where I got my info from, directly from my linked article...

Someone inside the courtroom told CBS 17 that the hearing was procedural, and attorneys mainly discussed details such as if the suspect will be restrained in the courtroom during future hearings.

However, what you said makes much more sense. JMO

This is where I got my info from, directly from my linked article...

Someone inside the courtroom told CBS 17 that the hearing was procedural, and attorneys mainly discussed details such as if the suspect will be restrained in the courtroom during future hearings.

However, what you said makes much more sense. JMO
Agree -- I read the news link and was aware the matter of restraints was not per OP but a direct quote from someone inside the courtroom that we know was a "closed hearing" so most likely a family member unfamiliar with the court process.

Also, I think it safe to assume that the Judge would never release the known fugitive but keep him detained in secure custody both because he represents a danger to property and person and possibly for his safety if any concerns of potential retaliation.

I've not checked Twitter but I'm interested if more than TC attended the initial hearing this afternoon....especially if anybody from the defendant's family attended. MOO

Agree -- I read the news link and was aware the matter of restraints was not per OP but a direct quote from someone inside the courtroom that we know was a "closed hearing" so most likely a family member unfamiliar with the court process.

Also, I think it safe to assume that the Judge would never release the known fugitive but keep him detained in secure custody both because he represents a danger to property and person and possibly for his safety if any concerns of potential retaliation.

I've not checked Twitter but I'm interested if more than TC attended the initial hearing this afternoon....especially if anybody from the defendant's family attended. MOO

Restraints? Like physical restraints? Or is this a legal term?

Also, I wonder why one of the defense attorneys was not allowed in the courtroom. Sounds like an intense scene.

Restraints? Like physical restraints? Or is this a legal term?

Also, I wonder why one of the defense attorneys was not allowed in the courtroom. Sounds like an intense scene.
^^BBM

Yes as in shackles.

This was a "closed door" secure hearing meaning no media or non-family were allowed inside the courtroom.

The judge would have made that announcement before proceeding and requested all media to leave the courtroom.

Next court date is set for Thursday -- Oct 20.

Where was it said one of the defense lawyers not allowed in the courtroom??

^^BBM

Yes as in shackles.

This was a "closed door" secure hearing meaning no media or non-family were allowed inside the courtroom.

The judge would have made that announcement before proceeding and requested all media to leave the courtroom.

Next court date is set for Thursday -- Oct 20.

Where was it said one of the defense lawyers not allowed in the courtroom??

From the below linked article from WRAL..

Also locked out: One of the attorneys for the defendant, William Collier, III, who said, regarding the case, that "justice will be served."

<modsnip - quoted post and reference to it were removed>

The reporter should have made it clear that he was locked out because he showed up after the Judge cleared the room and the doors were closed. Parties do not get to enter until a recess for security reasons. Defense Attorney William Collier, III will get another chance on Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - quoted post and reference to it were removed >

I have never heard of a defense attorney not being allowed inside. How unusual is that?

In the Quinton Simon case, during a court hearing regarding custody, the news station had to leave when the judge order the hearing closed.

Last edited by a moderator:

The 17-year-old accused of killing two high school students in Orange County appeared in court Tuesday afternoon.

Orange County District Attorney Jim Woodall told ABC11 that the hearing was a brief first appearance and detention hearing.

he still unidentified suspect was arrested Oct. 5 on murder charges connected to the Sept. 18 killings of Lyric Woods and Devin Clark.

Woods was a 14-year-old student at Cedar Ridge High School. Clark was an 18-year-old senior at Eastern Alamance High.

The pair's bodies were found by ATV riders on a trail in Orange County.

he still unidentified suspect was arrested Oct. 5 on murder charges connected to the Sept. 18 killings of Lyric Woods and Devin Clark.

Woods was a 14-year-old student at Cedar Ridge High School. Clark was an 18-year-old senior at Eastern Alamance High.

The pair's bodies were found by ATV riders on a trail in Orange County.

From the below linked article from WRAL..

Also locked out: One of the attorneys for the defendant, William Collier, III, who said, regarding the case, that "justice will be served."

They are being extremely protective in this case. Is this normal? It crossed my mind that maybe being a juvenile isn't the only reason for the protective measures.

They are being extremely protective in this case. Is this normal? It crossed my mind that maybe being a juvenile isn't the only reason for the protective measures.
I think once he's named, all will be clear. The defendant allegedly murdered two teens and fled-- and still found cover and shelter for better than 16 days. He's no boy scout... JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926