NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that he doesn’t speak fluent English and I saw reports that he came to America in 2010?

The note is still very weird to me, I guess having a English as a second language could account for the odd order of words- but it’s still conjugated correctly?
Yes, that seems odd. In 2021 he still needs an interpreter. The paper bag was suggested to be a red herring, maybe unrelated to the crime, by Gaspo. It allegedly didn't have any blood evidence on it.

Yes, that seems odd. In 2021 he still needs an interpreter. The paper bag was suggested to be a red herring, maybe unrelated to the crime, by Gaspo. It allegedly didn't have any blood evidence on it.

I keep thinking it was a red herring, but the police seemed adamant that the dna of the author of the note matched the dna of the killer. So bizarre!

Also it seems like an odd coincidence that another Guatemalan of the same age was later convicted for a rape the same night under quite similar circumstances in nearby Carrboro. Could there have been some connection between the two Guatemalans?
Man charged in connection to Carrboro rape
MOO
ETA - the Carrboro case was discussed about a year ago on this thread

RE: the DNA and Parabon Labs. If I am not mistaken, NC is a state that does not take unknown DNA and feed it into GEDMatch or other sites (how they caught the EAR-ONS aka GSK in California). This always frustrated me, as they could have possibly found this guy years ago doing this. Now since GSK, sites like 23 and Me and Ancestry are tightening up their user rights sections and I think GEDmatch may be as well. Its a shame, we finally have a way to connect unknown perps to crimes and suddenly that may end.

Random thing I found amusing - In their pressers, LE has said how they never let this case go cold. But lets face it this was colder than cold and they got lucky with this guy getting caught doing something else. It wasn't as if they had him on their radar all this time. End result, they look good with this arrest but I think they had no idea who did it until he emerged recently!

Sad that Tom Gasparoli (…as well as others) are not around to witness latest events… :(

In any event has anyone seen a physical description of the suspect? Just curious about his height, weight, overall physical condition…? Curious about a whole lot of other things, but at least that part should be publicly findable.

I am too. I have only seen his head and the top of his shoulders so far, but it appears he is a big dude. My carnival guess would be 6-0", 240 lbs. Sad that a 19 year old could have so much rage toward another person like he did to Faith :(

Now I'm curious to know if the suspect's fingerprints have been found to match any at the crime scene (I assume LE has a record of any prints they couldn't ID at the time)...? (yeah, possible he wore gloves or did some sort of complete wipe-down after-the-fact, but will still be worth knowing that they were or weren't found there).
And, as CuriousInNC has already pointed out interesting to know of any connection between the current suspect and the fellow Guatemalan convicted of a nearby rape earlier on the very same night (violent rapes being rare in the area).

Last edited:
A long time ago, I suggested that maybe the wording on the bag might mean English wasn’t the perp’s first language. It was just one idea of many, though. It’s also very possible the words weren’t written in the order they’re naturally read.
It could still absolutely be a deliberate red herring though. She may have never called him stupid or jealous at all.

Just to address a couple of questions from Rosalinda above:

1) as of some yrs. ago police had obtained DNA from every single male-of-interest —there were no “refuseniks” left (though there had been a few early on).
And from all indications, Olivares only very recently came on their radar at all.

2) Re: genealogical testing… I don’t know if CHPD had agreed to pay the fee for this work but it probably didn’t matter… Parabon is hugely backlogged on the cases they can take up and is primarily still working on cold cases ~15-35 yrs. old. A 9-yr. old case just doesn’t get to their starting gate unfortunately, except in rare cases.

[That’s my understanding of these matters.]

Thank you, Webthrush, I agree, backlog could be an issue here, as also could be if Olivares is a recent immigrant to the US it is unlikely that the genealogy would be straightforward.
And thank you Raiders, for the clarification of SC's policy on genealogical databases. How frustrating for LE in one state to see the dazzling successes other states have had and how devastating for families to see resolution through these techniques for other families in different states. I must admit, I have learned so much through crime! about the huge differences between different states of the USA in so many ways.
And I speak from a country (UK) that (to blow our own trumpet) was the first country to use DNA in a criminal case (1987,rapist/murderer Colin Pitchfork) but still does not use the public databases, although cold cases have been solved through familial matches in the UK criminal DNA database. We need some victims' families to kick up over here, I certainly would be if a relative of mine was a victim in a cold case.
I get that there are discussions to be had about safeguards, etc, tbh, I think it is a miracle and a gift from God that my little ole DNA ( I had many relatives who crossed to the US centuries ago ) could lead to one of these evil killers being locked up and future victims being saved.

I keep thinking it was a red herring, but the police seemed adamant that the dna of the author of the note matched the dna of the killer. So bizarre!
I distinctly remember DNA evidence being found on the pen but was there also DNA on the actual note? There might have been but I’m having trouble finding anything that explicitly says that.

Except how would a random guy know that her roommate left her alone in the middle of the night in an unlocked apartment? I think there will be a lot more to this story.

He probably witnessed the roommate leaving, and maybe went into the apartment intending to rob it....then when he realized there was a woman there he decided to rape and kill her. Might explain why he didn't bring a weapon with him

I distinctly remember DNA evidence being found on the pen but was there also DNA on the actual note? There might have been but I’m having trouble finding anything that explicitly says that.
If nowhere else, Gaspo said that in the interview he did with a LE source on the 5 year anniversary. It used to be on his blog but that’s been gone a few years now.

The relevant portion:
“And that note on a Time Out bag left on the bed near Faith’s body…with lots of blood in that room- but not a lot of blood on the note. You’d have expected more unless it was written at a time separate from the brutality. The killers DNA was on the note, though.”

If nowhere else, Gaspo said that in the interview he did with a LE source on the 5 year anniversary. It used to be on his blog but that’s been gone a few years now.

The relevant portion:
“And that note on a Time Out bag left on the bed near Faith’s body…with lots of blood in that room- but not a lot of blood on the note. You’d have expected more unless it was written at a time separate from the brutality. The killers DNA was on the note, though.”

Thank you! Perhaps you were onto something with your theory that the word “stupid” looked different from the rest of note and could have been written at a different time. In this case, I think it would make more sense if the suspect only wrote the “stupid” part though.

No spelling errors either…I’ve seen adults misspell “jealous”
JMO
It appears that he doesn’t speak fluent English and I saw reports that he came to America in 2010?

The note is still very weird to me, I guess having a English as a second language could account for the odd order of words- but it’s still conjugated correctly?

I think the interpreter is a defense move. Maybe because he may have had a family member who didn’t speak english well or at all. He obviously understands what was being told to him because he reacted to what the judge said in English before the interpreter even spoke. I am not saying his english was perfect in 2012 but I also, all words are spelled correctly. People have a tough time with “jealous” JMO

I wouldn’t read too much into him having an interpreter to be honest. He could very well speak pretty good English and spell correctly, but it makes sense for them to assign an interpreter, not just because of his family, but because English is his second language and regardless of how good his everyday English is, there’s a lot of legal jargon and technical terms they probably want to make sure he understands. I’m sure they don’t want to risk a few months down the line him saying that he didn’t understand something properly, or that he agreed to something he didn’t fully comprehend. He has the right to a fair trial and the interpreter is, in my opinion, likely to be just part of that process

I would like to state he hasn’t worked on this case in years. He also shouldn’t be stating these things to public. JMO

Were these the guys who just showed up out of nowhere in the 20/20 segment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Indiana_intrigue