NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
gee, I keep reading news pieces about the wine bottle with palm print and fingerprints as a key piece of evidence, but I barely recall this ever being mentioned before, instead it was always about the rum bottle (murder weapon) with touch DNA… very confusing… also there are references to “liquor bottles” plural… so was there more than just the rum bottle around… almost sounds like they were ‘partying’ in the bedroom before the violence began… is everyone confused about the bottles at this point, or does someone have a clearer understanding?
I think the reporting has been confusing, but there have been reports about both a wine and rum bottle since at least 2014 (Autopsy shows brutality of Faith Hedgepeth murder).

It's interesting that Karena mentioned seeing things that hadn't been in the bedroom earlier and said that it looked like someone had been there. I wonder if we'll learn about anything else out of place in addition to the note, the wine bottle and the rum bottle.

On another note, maybe it's relevant that the alleged murderer was arrested on a DUI. Perhaps he had a significant alcohol problem and emptied one of those bottles by himself after the murder. Police did say that they thought he'd lingered in the apartment after her death. but never really said why they thought that.

Last edited:
duplicate post

Law enforcement doesn’t have the ability to just do whatever they want, not to mention they have time and budget constraints, especially these days, I doubt they are just dragging things out because they want to, that’s not the way it works.

I’m wondering if there is more forensic evidence they have decided to test and are waiting for results to come back. That’s the only thing I can think of at this point.

The reports that we've heard have enough missing gaps and things that don't quite "click" that I have to believe that there are a few significant details that we don't know yet. What those details are, are anyone's guess. I've been wondering if they have evidence of more of his crimes and are waiting for a few more rape kit comparisons to come back for more leverage as part of a plea deal they are hoping to complete.

The reports that we've heard have enough missing gaps and things that don't quite "click" that I have to believe that there are a few significant details that we don't know yet. What those details are, are anyone's guess. I've been wondering if they have evidence of more of his crimes and are waiting for a few more rape kit comparisons to come back for more leverage as part of a plea deal they are hoping to complete.

Something like this is what I'm thinking may be going on.

I’m thinking there has been some shoddy reporting. For example, in today’s article from abc11, it said she was found murdered September 7, 2013. I reported the error and it’s now corrected to reflect the correct year, 2012.

From the article: “The warrants say the DNA found at the crime scene is a probable match to the suspect.”

They used DNA technology using Ancestry, and it’s a probable match to the suspect? That sounds less than certain imo.

I don’t have a good feeling about this case being resolved. Something seems very off. I have much respect for LE, but I can’t help but wonder if they’re in way over their heads. There are so many secrets, omissions, and info withheld…

I understand keeping info under wraps so as not to tip their hand to potential suspects, but it feels, imo, like they’re hiding things.

Court documents reveal how investigators linked suspect in Faith Hedgepeth's murder

From the article: “The warrants say the DNA found at the crime scene is a probable match to the suspect.”

They used DNA technology using Ancestry, and it’s a probable match to the suspect? That sounds less than certain imo.
SBM

I think "probable match" is just forensic science speak, and doesn't mean what it looks like at face value.

For example, this article about the murder of Jodine Serrin uses the term:

"Lt. Greg Koran said the department is sure Mabrito is their suspect. Investigators were told his DNA was a probable match to evidence found at the crime scene, and that the likelihood that someone other than Mabrito was the suspect is one in 64 quintillion — a number with 18 zeros in it."

I’m thinking there has been some shoddy reporting. For example, in today’s article from abc11, it said she was found murdered September 7, 2013. I reported the error and it’s now corrected to reflect the correct year, 2012.

I don’t have a good feeling about this case being resolved. Something seems very off. I have much respect for LE, but I can’t help but wonder if they’re in way over their heads. There are so many secrets, omissions, and info withheld…

I understand keeping info under wraps so as not to tip their hand to potential suspects, but it feels, imo, like they’re hiding things.

Court documents reveal how investigators linked suspect in Faith Hedgepeth's murder

One of the recent articles mentioned the suspect’s lawyer is trying to suppress evidence the police collected against him saying they lacked probable cause to collect it, I wonder if law enforcement was so ready to seal the deal on this guy that they rushed too much and ended up doing a sloppy job and getting themselves into some trouble. Depending on what the evidence is, getting it thrown out could be a major blow to their case or could possibly even get the entire case thrown out depending on the circumstances. I think something major is up with all this silence for so long.

One of the recent articles mentioned the suspect’s lawyer is trying to suppress evidence the police collected against him saying they lacked probable cause to collect it, I wonder if law enforcement was so ready to seal the deal on this guy that they rushed too much and ended up doing a sloppy job and getting themselves into some trouble. Depending on what the evidence is, getting it thrown out could be a major blow to their case or could possibly even get the entire case thrown out depending on the circumstances. I think something major is up with all this silence for so long.
BBM
100%. it is to my understanding that CH contacted officer in MD. MD officer helped lead to relatives, interviewed and tested. I think all that info was gathered and MO was found sleeping in car. My guess is CHPD was probably onto him, from MD officer, but had no reason or probable cause to obtain anything in regards to Faith’s murder yet. I think CHPD probably had people tailing him. Waiting for their chance. I think when they got the hit they made a big deal, the presser, without still doing things behind scenes. Tunnel vision in 2012 and tunnel vision 2022. I pray for Faith’s loved ones.
I have some answers to questions but due to the ongoing investigation I choose not to comment publicly. I am not trying to be coy but I also don’t want to muddy up anything for a further prosecution of MO and/or others.

The lawyer requested the suppression of evidence but there’s nothing saying it’ll actually be granted. She might not even really think the judge will grant it, she’s just doing her job as counsel to try. From my perspective it sounds like a long shot; he got himself on LE’s radar with the DWI and everything they did after that (taking his DNA, searching his house when that matched, etc.) would have had probable cause.

The lawyer requested the suppression of evidence but there’s nothing saying it’ll actually be granted. She might not even really think the judge will grant it, she’s just doing her job as counsel to try. From my perspective it sounds like a long shot; he got himself on LE’s radar with the DWI and everything they did after that (taking his DNA, searching his house when that matched, etc.) would have had probable cause.

I tend to agree that the public defender is just doing her lawyerly job of delay and obfuscation ;) but not the cause of this prolonged lapse. I’m more worried about the possibility that either something messy or uncertain has arisen with the forensic genealogy/DNA work, or else a 2nd perp is now involved and that is complicating the specific charges against MESO. (but sheer speculation on my part)

Also, again I’ve seen 2 more articles calling the “wine” bottle (NOT the rum bottle) the “murder weapon” … so what is going on; were early mass-reported “facts” possibly wrong, or are these now wrong?
Am also wondering what "relatives" (besides his mother) MESO had in the area or in the country?

I tend to agree that the public defender is just doing her lawyerly job of delay and obfuscation ;) but not the cause of this prolonged lapse. I’m more worried about the possibility that either something messy or uncertain has arisen with the forensic genealogy/DNA work, or else a 2nd perp is now involved and that is complicating the specific charges against MESO. (but sheer speculation on my part)

Also, again I’ve seen 2 more articles calling the “wine” bottle (NOT the rum bottle) the “murder weapon” … so what is going on; were early mass-reported “facts” possibly wrong, or are these now wrong?
Am also wondering what "relatives" (besides his mother) MESO had in the area or in the country?

BBM- agreed. I don't think the defense attorney is responsible for the protracted delay, I was just saying I don't think her suppression motion is a death knell for the case in general.

Have you seen additional articles? I've gotten multiple alerts regarding the case, but it's just been additional publication of the same article that dropped last week.

My two cents is that it's just the same thing we've seen for the last 9 years or so. These different publications report things just slightly differently than what was said previously, and we all wonder if they know something we haven't been told or just got the story wrong. I'm convinced 99% of that has been them just getting the story wrong.

When in doubt, it's almost always worth just looking at the source material. The original cache of warrants is the source of most of the information about the liquor/rum/wine bottles. Some of the news outlets got sloppy with the information that was in the warrants, which has been the source of some of the confusion.

I'm still leaning towards at least one other person being involved somehow, I just don't believe he just happened to come upon Faith alone in an unlocked apartment while in the area for a party or looking for places to break in to. I just don't think it's totally random.

This might be a dumb question but I’ve read the new article a few times through and I’m still confused. They used ancestral DNA to find him but ALSO took his DNA without consent during the DWI stop? Am I understanding that correctly?

If so, that could be a decent chunk of the reason for the holdup. Whether that DNA sample is admissible due to lack of consent and then whether law enforcement even needs that sample to make their case - versus the ancestral DNA they also had.

This might be a dumb question but I’ve read the new article a few times through and I’m still confused. They used ancestral DNA to find him but ALSO took his DNA without consent during the DWI stop? Am I understanding that correctly?

If so, that could be a decent chunk of the reason for the holdup. Whether that DNA sample is admissible due to lack of consent and then whether law enforcement even needs that sample to make their case - versus the ancestral DNA they also had.

The “ancestral DNA” is other peoples’ DNA (not MESO’s) revealing their family tree links… those tree links then fit together like a puzzle to point to the DNA of the perp already on file… it could conceivably point to multiple individuals, but by doing interviews and researching locations, ages, opportunities etc. they can start to focus on one or a few individuals… in this case all those forensics apparently pointed to MESO, and when they got the chance to obtain his DNA they compared it directly to the perp’s DNA, apparently hitting a match. Barring the possibility of an incredible screw up with lab protocols or samples, that part should be a slam dunk.
[I don't know the answer to the legality of obtaining his sample, although I doubt there's a real problem there; indeed I think it's been done similarly in many previous cases by now...]

The “ancestral DNA” is other peoples’ DNA (not MESO’s) revealing their family tree links… those tree links then fit together like a puzzle to point to the DNA of the perp already on file… it could conceivably point to multiple individuals, but by doing interviews and researching locations, ages, opportunities etc. they can start to focus on one or a few individuals… in this case all those forensics apparently pointed to MESO, and when they got the chance to obtain his DNA they compared it directly to the perp’s DNA, apparently hitting a match. Barring the possibility of an incredible screw up with lab protocols or samples, that part should be a slam dunk.
[I don't know the answer to the legality of obtaining his sample, although I doubt there's a real problem there; indeed I think it's been done similarly in many previous cases by now...]
Thank you for the clarification! The article I read mentioned reaching out to family members and obtaining samples so it was painting the DWI arrest as essentially unrelated. Hence my confusion.

Thank you for the clarification! The article I read mentioned reaching out to family members and obtaining samples so it was painting the DWI arrest as essentially unrelated. Hence my confusion.

Yes, I noticed that (not sure if it’s accurate)…
As anyone here who has used an Ancestry.com or 23andMe type service knows when you send in your DNA you get back 1000s of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. cousins. Essentially, LE has done this similarly with perp DNA and public databases… that accessibility has been made more difficult in recent years though and it’s possible LE did end up needing to go to specific individuals/relatives for DNA samples, but that would be unusual and no one has to comply.
...And still wondering, after his mom, who are MESO's closest relatives in U.S., or did LE search as far as Guatemala for connections?

i think if you are pulled over under suspicion of being intoxicated, and you refuse a breathalyzer test, they can legally take you in and draw a blood sample. I don't know if having a blood sample is the same as taking a cheek swab though, as far as getting DNA. Also not sure if LE would be allowed to take blood sample + swab for stuff like a DWI offense. Just speaking to what I believe is LE's right as far as obtaining a sample

A new video covering Faith’s case came out on Youtube yesterday, don’t think I’m allowed to link it though. No new info and if was pretty general overview of everything that’s already out there but I always take time to look at the comments sections of videos, I’ve found some interesting things in other cases that way. An investigator that worked for Faith’s family, Hunter Glass, made the following comment:

“Myself and my partner worked privately for free for the family. There is a lot more to this case. When it’s all said and done it will be something. As for not speaking English, well, my man is full of it.”

As usual, of course there is probably plenty we don’t know. I’ve noticed Faith’s parents seem to be quite careful when asked about Karena in interviews, it seems to me they don’t want to say anything bad about her and I wonder if that is because they don’t think she was involved or if they don’t want to rock the boat while this investigation is still going on. In the Breaking Homicide episode Faith’s sister seemed to have no problem saying she thought Karena’s 911 call was bs, which makes me wonder what they family’s real stance on Karena is...

I keep wondering if part of the delay in this case proceeding could be because they’re working on the suspect to give up anyone else involved. And if he has shared the involvement of another/others, is LE working on gathering evidence to make such case(s) prosecutable.

I believe this is probably what’s happening. JMO and gut feeling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413
Back