NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I used to think that was the beginning of it, but it actually started far earlier and closer in than the Crime Watch Daily show. It actually started pretty much the day of the murder with the downstairs neighbor, who has talked in at least three separate accounts about how Karena wasn’t as upset as she should have been (Marisol gets dragged into this too at least once.) Then, in one of the Pursuit Podcast episodes (it was in one of the first four that are now unavailable), she talked about how the day Karena moved out, she asked her to “let her know if she heard anything new about the investigation.” She acknowledged this was the only time they’d talked for any real length of time, and it was obviously just Karena asking her to pass on any news, but she puts this hilariously sinister spin on it, like Karena was trying to turn her into a mole or something.

I agree it (fingerpointing at KR) started early on, but I think what really pushed it along was the ballyhooed linguistic or content analysis of KR’s 911 call which led to all manner of conspiratorial speculations — while there have been places and cases where such analysis has been valuable I think in this case it was especially misleading and bogus, and it is far from the “science” it purports to be (especially when dealing with such traumatic situations).

They did. LE confirmed through multiple means, including looking at Faith's phone, that the call happened at 1:23 AM. Lehew had answered that question definitively about six months after the Crime Watch Daily episode that originally featured the voicemail, but unfortunately, people just can't let it go. You can't listen to a podcast or read a news article without hearing about the voicemail and the timestamp, and they all act like there's some sort of open question there, but there isn't. There is literally no evidence whatsoever that it happened at any other time.
Thank you for the clarification! Every podcast I have listened to talks about it only from the perspective of the friend who received the voice mail, nothing about the call being made from Faith's phone.

The pizzeria job was what he listed in August during his DWI arrest, if I recall correctly. I'm guessing he worked a lot of odd jobs over the years.
I'm OK with the silence from LE, now that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. They're probably trying to reconstruct his movements in August/September 2012, which is going to be pretty difficult. He was never associated with the murder until recently, so there was no reason for anyone around him to retain memory of what he was doing. If you asked me what some friend/family member/coworker of mine was doing nine years ago, I would only have the foggiest idea if I remembered at all.
So how many think that he may have delivered pizza to their apartment?

You think he worked there for nine years, though?
exactly, and even if he had a pizzeria job 9 yrs. ago, if his English was as weak as many are now surmising, I think he would have had some sort of kitchen job, not a position where he was interacting with the public or customers that much.

You think he worked there for nine years, though?
Not necessarily at the same place, but since the two things they list in his work history are "pizza delivery" and "construction," I am guessing that it's possible that he worked for more than one restaurant. Waiting tables was my go-to for a long time, and I worked at one place for six years as well as a bunch of other places.

exactly, and even if he had a pizzeria job 9 yrs. ago, if his English was as weak as many are now surmising, I think he would have had some sort of kitchen job, not a position where he was interacting with the public or customers that much.
I'm not married to the idea that he delivered a pizza to their apartment, but pizza delivery really doesn't take very much in terms of language skills. I've also entertained the idea that her killer worked with her at Red Robin. Anything's possible. But delivering food to their apartment could have brought either woman, and their location, to his attention. Ugh. And now I'm going to delete UberEats and GrubHub from my phone.

I agree except I think the note was written the night or day before. Explains the no blood on it. I also see two different handwritings on it…I think it shows tension between two females. Killer and/or stager probably found it in apartment and added it for theatrics. JMO.

There's nothing at all in the letter that points to a female specifically. People think men can't call women *advertiser censored*???

There's nothing at all in the letter that points to a female specifically. People think men can't call women *advertiser censored*???
And jealous. I use that word hundreds of times a day now just to prove all those experts wrong about women using it more.
(Not really)

Not necessarily at the same place, but since the two things they list in his work history are "pizza delivery" and "construction," I am guessing that it's possible that he worked for more than one restaurant. Waiting tables was my go-to for a long time, and I worked at one place for six years as well as a bunch of other places.
Many years ago when I worked at a country club by Detroit, there was guys working in the kitchen running the dishwashers. None of them could speak a word of English, but they would nod and stuff when you threw dishes at them.

And jealous. I use that word hundreds of times a day now just to prove all those experts wrong about women using it more.
(Not really)

yeah, I don't recall the word "*advertiser censored*" ever being much in question (males certainly, unfortunately, use that a lot), but many doubted a male would use the word "jealous". When we discussed it here before though someone came on to say that Hispanic males did use that word more often than White or Black males do -- I don't know if it's so but that claim was made.

yeah, I don't recall the word "*advertiser censored*" ever being much in question (males certainly, unfortunately, use that a lot), but many doubted a male would use the word "jealous". When we discussed it here before though someone came on to say that Hispanic males did use that word more often than White or Black males do -- I don't know if it's so but that claim was made.
I tried doing a little Googling once to see if I could find anything on the frequency word usage of males vs females. This was about all I could find:

Language Log » Male and female word usage

The only word in the note that skews one way or the other is “b****”, and that skews male.

I don’t think I ever implied men can’t call women *advertiser censored*. I’ve been lucky enough to be called a by both men and women. Handwriting expert believes it’s a female writer due to the wording and the actual lettering. Also that the writer tried to write with their opposite hand. The word “stupid” stuck out to me as female handwriting. I could be wrong. I’m human. As always, JMO. I believe I was originally just commenting on why the note was there in the first place. I think red herring. Also, JMO.

As far as the note goes, I feel like he could've written what he did in reference to something Faith said to him right before the attack. I can imagine a scenario in which he comes into the apartment/bedroom and she says something along the lines of "don't be stupid, just leave." He attacks and then writes the note afterward, kind of as a final F-U to her. The jealous part could be added to the end because he turned out to be stronger than her and he "won" their confrontation.

I also strongly believe that he acted alone. I don't think jealous is that crazy of a word for him to know/spell. Learning English as a second language could've meant that a word that may seem out-of-the-ordinary for us just happened to be one he memorized early on.

<snip>
....I also strongly believe that he acted alone.... <snip>

The only reason I’ve long thought there must be 2 perps is that despite her many defensive wounds, indicating she struggled mightily (and Faith, while smallish, was very fit/athletic), hardly any significant sounds were heard by neighbors — I can’t imagine one person stifling her THAT effectively, but can imagine one perp manhandling her and muffling her voice with hand or cloth while the other assaulted.
I think it possible 2 perps went there looking for both KR & Faith, and hoping for "good time" but finding Faith alone took advantage of the situation.

Regarding the note, I had the thought some time ago that it was intended to deceive, but what the writer was concealing was that he did not speak English well. At the time he wrote the note, he would have still been in the apartment, and he'd have no way of knowing who might see him once he left (lucky for him, no one did.) But if someone had reported seeing him in just the general vicinity, and police had talked to him and found he barely spoke any English, they might have discounted him as a suspect at first because of the note.
It would not have worked particularly well once they got the details of the DNA back, but it may have helped him maintain a low profile in the beginning. And I think that fits with the note being kind of a desperation ploy. He hasn't been free all these years because he's a criminal mastermind.

this is an interesting take and one that i had not thought of before
It is interesting, what are people’s thoughts on him having a car then? I believe if you are a delivery drive then you definitely have to supply your own car and insurance. I’m not sure I think he saw here from delivering a pizza. I can believe her going to the place he was working in 2012. JMO.

It is interesting, what are people’s thoughts on him having a car then? I believe if you are a delivery drive then you definitely have to supply your own car and insurance. I’m not sure I think he saw here from delivering a pizza. I can believe her going to the place he was working in 2012. JMO.

well, he was living with his mother then, and probably (I'm guessing) had access to her car (assuming she had one) at night, and he was also on the busline, IF he didn't have his own car. Again though, we have no idea yet if he had any job at that time, let alone one for a pizzeria. I'm also not clear just what exactly even brought him here from Guatemala, or if he has any local family beyond his mother?

Just a reminder that Thurs. is next scheduled court appearance by Olivares, though I don’t recall what exactly gets done at this time, or if there's much chance of any new info coming out? Is this when he enters a plea? Can anyone fill us in on the possible court steps going forward?
With death penalty taken off table I assume there’s less chance of any plea agreement and more assurance of a trial going forward (or other possibilities)? And is a change of venue likely? IF he were to plead guilty (which I doubt) would there only be a penalty trial phase to work through??? Just curious what different legal maneuvers may lie ahead, or just wait ’til Thur. to get a hint…

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ANicholls16
Back