NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This whole argument seemed like a real reach to me. How people text with their parents is going to be different than how they text with their friends. Also, someone sending a decoy text isn't going to be that detailed and personal, because the more said, the more likely something will seem off.

Yeah, I've aways thought it more likely that the texts came from Faith, not a person pretending to be Faith. And knowing that MESO is the killer pretty well confirms it for me, since it seems like he struggled to even write 5 words in English.

@GottaHaveFaith - I'm going to snip and quote your comments instead of replying to the entire thing, otherwise this is going to just turn into a giant wall of text.

“Lehew is good at her job and has been intentionally coy to withhold important information from the public during this investigation. But to my knowledge, CHPD is basing the girls’ arrival to the crime scene around 11:00am solely on the fact that the 911 call was placed at 11:01am. That call seems to be the only evidence they have to support this arrival time. What's strange though, is Karena starts the 911 call by saying "Hi, um, I just walked into my apartment." Seems like unnecessary context to add unless she wants the dispatcher to believe that she just got there.”

Given what she says about ‘evidence’, I don’t think Lehew is just taking their word on it. They would have a few ways of verifying that. There was a call from KR to MR that got the process started; there may have been a roommate of JM and JB that saw MR pick her up; and it’s also possible to look at the location history of both of their cell phones. I’m guessing all that lines up with them getting there around 11.

“There were multiple cameras inside The Thrill, but CHPD only released footage from the exterior camera showing the main entrance. Why? It makes me think that whatever is on those interior cameras is important to the investigation, which is the reason they’re holding that footage close to the vest. I think the voicemail is a red herring, but I do think something contentious transpired inside The Thrill.”

Police have actually held a lot of things close to the vest; I don’t think them not releasing all the footage means there’s anything hugely significant to it.

“Also, I’m concerned with the Charlton Beasley (Takoy’s cousin) component. If Karena had moved on to Brandon by this point, why was she with Charlton at The Thrill? Takoy and Brandon absolutely hated each other, so Karena hanging out with Takoy’s cousin is not something Brandon would’ve been fond of. And Karena’s body language seems as if she was agitated with him when they’re seen exiting The Thrill. I wonder what happened inside to cause this?”

We see them walk out together (I’ll take you’re word that’s who she’s with; I don’t know myself but you’re the second person who’s made that identification to me.) We don’t know how much time they spent together prior to that. I agree they seem to be having a low-key argument but I don’t see that its particularly heated. After they leave, they go outside and stand shoulder to shoulder and another man approaches CB and shakes hands and touches shoulders with him. It doesn’t seem like that would happen if he and KR were having a strenuous argument.

“The neighbor later corrected herself and said the thumps were closer to 3:45am, and the girls should've been home well before then.”

Where was this said? Can you direct me to a source on that?

“That’s a good theory, but if Karena was supposed to hang with Brandon later, why wouldn’t Karena and Brandon have just gone home together after The Thrill? Brandon and Karena were already hanging out together there; it would've made more sense for them to just go home together, if the plan was to hang out more.”

I think I’m getting beyond what I am really supposed to discuss, but I think BE was actually sort of seeing someone else and wasn’t actually serious about picking her up. Given how he refers to KR in his later Instagram post (he calls her “your friend”, referring to Faith, without owning her himself or properly naming her), I think it’s pretty clear he didn’t have the same feelings for her that she did for him.

‘Where exactly was Faith in the apartment, and what was she doing, when KR left at 4:27am?" This one has been definitively answered by the police. She was asleep in the bedroom.’ – “I’ve heard conflicting information regarding this.”

I haven’t. What have you heard?

“Karena is the one who told police that she was sick, so I’m going to hold her to her word.”

Again, there’s degrees of sick. She could have been sick, thrown up, and felt better and rallied, especially with the prospect of a booty call in her immediate future.

“But if Jordan was alone, how do you explain Jake’s phone pinging off the cell tower around 4:15am? Sure, we can speculate that maybe Jordan was borrowing Jake's phone or something, but that's pure speculation.”

Actually, it’s not unusual for phones to not ping off the closest tower. There’s been a few cases where law enforcement has basically made someone for a crime based on that, when they were actually nowhere near the crime scene.
Does Cell Phone Location Data Makes for Bad Evidence?
I’m agnostic on that issue, except that I don’t think JB had anything to do with it. I don’t think LE does either, which is why they released that part of the investigation narrative.

“Everyone always speculates that the girls had a plan for the key, but it’s hard to imagine the plan being “let’s leave the front door unlocked at 4:27am.” Faith was smarter than that. And Takoy definitely wasn’t in the rearview at this point. When someone breaks in and assaults you (twice, I might add), you don’t just forget about it a few weeks later. Especially when that individual lives next door.”

It happens, though. Things get quiet for a while, it starts to feel less immediate. I myself had an incident that led me to get a security system installed; nothing further happened, and I can tell you, within 2 months, we’d forgotten to arm it at night a few times.
More relevant, though, she was improvising a plan at the last minute when the other party was asleep. It’s easy to say now she should have been more careful, but when you’re in a rush, distracted, truly don’t believe anything bad will happen, and the safe thing involves a bunch of inconvenience, it’s also easy to see how that happened.

“In the 20/20 special, Marisol was crying uncontrollably, but on the day she found Faith dead she had the composure to not make a peep just so she doesn’t distract Karena? Who cares if she distracts Karena? Faith was dead on the floor. I find it very strange that Marisol isn’t heard (or acknowledged) during that 911 call.”

I don’t think those are mutually exclusive. She could have been crying yet not hysterically sobbing so loudly as to be picked up on the call. The neighbor said MR was crying softly when she came down the stairs.

On that note, I can at least understand why some of what KR does seems suspicious at first blush. I don’t at all understand why MR gets dragged in. As far as I can see, her only sin is that she backs up parts of KR’s story: Yes, we got there right before 11; yes, that’s her on the call, not me; no, I don’t think she knows anything more than what she’s said. She clearly wouldn’t have been directly involved in the murder, since unlike KR, she wasn’t even at the apartment earlier. So…what? She gives KR a ride home, and during the course of that ride, agrees to help cover up the murder of her friend?

@GottaHaveFaith - I'm going to snip and quote your comments instead of replying to the entire thing, otherwise this is going to just turn into a giant wall of text.

“Lehew is good at her job and has been intentionally coy to withhold important information from the public during this investigation. But to my knowledge, CHPD is basing the girls’ arrival to the crime scene around 11:00am solely on the fact that the 911 call was placed at 11:01am. That call seems to be the only evidence they have to support this arrival time. What's strange though, is Karena starts the 911 call by saying "Hi, um, I just walked into my apartment." Seems like unnecessary context to add unless she wants the dispatcher to believe that she just got there.”

Given what she says about ‘evidence’, I don’t think Lehew is just taking their word on it. They would have a few ways of verifying that. There was a call from KR to MR that got the process started; there may have been a roommate of JM and JB that saw MR pick her up; and it’s also possible to look at the location history of both of their cell phones. I’m guessing all that lines up with them getting there around 11.

“There were multiple cameras inside The Thrill, but CHPD only released footage from the exterior camera showing the main entrance. Why? It makes me think that whatever is on those interior cameras is important to the investigation, which is the reason they’re holding that footage close to the vest. I think the voicemail is a red herring, but I do think something contentious transpired inside The Thrill.”

Police have actually held a lot of things close to the vest; I don’t think them not releasing all the footage means there’s anything hugely significant to it.

“Also, I’m concerned with the Charlton Beasley (Takoy’s cousin) component. If Karena had moved on to Brandon by this point, why was she with Charlton at The Thrill? Takoy and Brandon absolutely hated each other, so Karena hanging out with Takoy’s cousin is not something Brandon would’ve been fond of. And Karena’s body language seems as if she was agitated with him when they’re seen exiting The Thrill. I wonder what happened inside to cause this?”

We see them walk out together (I’ll take you’re word that’s who she’s with; I don’t know myself but you’re the second person who’s made that identification to me.) We don’t know how much time they spent together prior to that. I agree they seem to be having a low-key argument but I don’t see that its particularly heated. After they leave, they go outside and stand shoulder to shoulder and another man approaches CB and shakes hands and touches shoulders with him. It doesn’t seem like that would happen if he and KR were having a strenuous argument.

“The neighbor later corrected herself and said the thumps were closer to 3:45am, and the girls should've been home well before then.”

Where was this said? Can you direct me to a source on that?

“That’s a good theory, but if Karena was supposed to hang with Brandon later, why wouldn’t Karena and Brandon have just gone home together after The Thrill? Brandon and Karena were already hanging out together there; it would've made more sense for them to just go home together, if the plan was to hang out more.”

I think I’m getting beyond what I am really supposed to discuss, but I think BE was actually sort of seeing someone else and wasn’t actually serious about picking her up. Given how he refers to KR in his later Instagram post (he calls her “your friend”, referring to Faith, without owning her himself or properly naming her), I think it’s pretty clear he didn’t have the same feelings for her that she did for him.

‘Where exactly was Faith in the apartment, and what was she doing, when KR left at 4:27am?" This one has been definitively answered by the police. She was asleep in the bedroom.’ – “I’ve heard conflicting information regarding this.”

I haven’t. What have you heard?

“Karena is the one who told police that she was sick, so I’m going to hold her to her word.”

Again, there’s degrees of sick. She could have been sick, thrown up, and felt better and rallied, especially with the prospect of a booty call in her immediate future.

“But if Jordan was alone, how do you explain Jake’s phone pinging off the cell tower around 4:15am? Sure, we can speculate that maybe Jordan was borrowing Jake's phone or something, but that's pure speculation.”

Actually, it’s not unusual for phones to not ping off the closest tower. There’s been a few cases where law enforcement has basically made someone for a crime based on that, when they were actually nowhere near the crime scene.
Does Cell Phone Location Data Makes for Bad Evidence?
I’m agnostic on that issue, except that I don’t think JB had anything to do with it. I don’t think LE does either, which is why they released that part of the investigation narrative.

“Everyone always speculates that the girls had a plan for the key, but it’s hard to imagine the plan being “let’s leave the front door unlocked at 4:27am.” Faith was smarter than that. And Takoy definitely wasn’t in the rearview at this point. When someone breaks in and assaults you (twice, I might add), you don’t just forget about it a few weeks later. Especially when that individual lives next door.”

It happens, though. Things get quiet for a while, it starts to feel less immediate. I myself had an incident that led me to get a security system installed; nothing further happened, and I can tell you, within 2 months, we’d forgotten to arm it at night a few times.
More relevant, though, she was improvising a plan at the last minute when the other party was asleep. It’s easy to say now she should have been more careful, but when you’re in a rush, distracted, truly don’t believe anything bad will happen, and the safe thing involves a bunch of inconvenience, it’s also easy to see how that happened.

“In the 20/20 special, Marisol was crying uncontrollably, but on the day she found Faith dead she had the composure to not make a peep just so she doesn’t distract Karena? Who cares if she distracts Karena? Faith was dead on the floor. I find it very strange that Marisol isn’t heard (or acknowledged) during that 911 call.”

I don’t think those are mutually exclusive. She could have been crying yet not hysterically sobbing so loudly as to be picked up on the call. The neighbor said MR was crying softly when she came down the stairs.

On that note, I can at least understand why some of what KR does seems suspicious at first blush. I don’t at all understand why MR gets dragged in. As far as I can see, her only sin is that she backs up parts of KR’s story: Yes, we got there right before 11; yes, that’s her on the call, not me; no, I don’t think she knows anything more than what she’s said. She clearly wouldn’t have been directly involved in the murder, since unlike KR, she wasn’t even at the apartment earlier. So…what? She gives KR a ride home, and during the course of that ride, agrees to help cover up the murder of her friend?

My opinion is that KR holds the key to a lot of the answers above (who knows what she has told LE and what she hasn't), and I believe that she most likely confided in Marisol since they were very close and obviously found Faith dead together.

In the 20/20 special, Marisol was crying uncontrollably, but on the day she found Faith dead she had the composure to not make a peep just so she doesn’t distract Karena? Who cares if she distracts Karena? Faith was dead on the floor. I find it very strange that Marisol isn’t heard (or acknowledged) during that 911 call.

You think it is "very strange" that a person wouldn't cry during a traumatic event, but would cry when recounting that same event later? You've seriously never heard of shock, which is an extremely common response to sudden or unexpected traumatic events?

You think it is "very strange" that a person wouldn't cry during a traumatic event, but would cry when recounting that same event later? You've seriously never heard of shock, which is an extremely common response to sudden or unexpected traumatic events?

No, I’ve never heard of shock before. Please enlighten me almighty FluffyPaste.

Like what? What do they know, and what indicates that they know it?
Maybe that information hasn't been publicly released, but that doesn't mean she hasn't given that information to law enforcement. What exactly is your basis for believing that she hasn't already answered these questions? Especially since they do appear to be quite simple questions which would have definitely been asked and answered early in the investigation.

Like these are things police detectives would have asked her the day after the murder. And some of those things are actually public knowledge already, like every podcast on this murder says that K & M arrived back at Karena's apartment (and discovered Faith had been murdered inside) around 11:00 AM.

BBM that is incorrect, not all podcasts have said that. I’ve done my research.

So, I never followed this case, not sure why. But I am trying to learn about it now. I listened to the NG podcast the other night. It seems to have left a lot out, like that the police initially suspected Karena's former bf, with pretty good reason. But the DNA didn't match. I am perplexed by the note on the bag. How does that all fit in? It would seem to point to someone known to Faith. Is anything known about the man arrested?

So, I never followed this case, not sure why. But I am trying to learn about it now. I listened to the NG podcast the other night. It seems to have left a lot out, like that the police initially suspected Karena's former bf, with pretty good reason. But the DNA didn't match. I am perplexed by the note on the bag. How does that all fit in? It would seem to point to someone known to Faith. Is anything known about the man arrested?

Hi, welcome to the thread!
I'm not sure which podcast exactly that is, so I'm not sure what all was said vs what was left out. Cliffnotes version: Basically, yes, ETJ (the roommate's ex) was heavily suspected early on, but the DNA did not match. That left the entire case kind of at a standstill for over 9 years as police investigated pretty much everyone around Faith, finding that none of their DNA matched either. Eventually they released a DNA profile from what was found at the scene which indicated a man of mixed Hispanic/Native American ancestry was responsible, which matched exactly zero of the men in Faith's close orbit. For a long time we were all left spinning our wheels until an arrest was finally announced in September, and no, not a whole lot is known about the man arrested. He lived near Faith, was a recent immigrant at the time, and has amassed a record of petty crime in the intervening years. He did, however, look like the DNA profile. He clearly didn't know Faith well so the bag note looks like misdirection. He was supposed to have been arraigned at the beginning of October, but that didn't happen and no one seems to have any idea why, so now we're all stuck spinning our wheels again.
And now you're caught up! :) Any questions about any of those particulars and I know all of us regulars will be happy to help.

Thank you for the response CADwrest! Like I said, I don't know why I never followed this case. I was referring to the Nancy Grace podcast, but I suppose there may be more than one episode where she discussed this case. I think this one was from late November perhaps. Anyway, is the assumption that she was murdered after the roommate left at 4:30 a.m.? The neighbor said she heard banging but that was right after they returned from the club I believe. So if so, the killer must have been entered soon after Karena left. Did Karena have a boy friend? I'm sure these are all things that have long ago been discussed here, so I apologize for having to ask.

Thank you for the response CADwrest! Like I said, I don't know why I never followed this case. I was referring to the Nancy Grace podcast, but I suppose there may be more than one episode where she discussed this case. I think this one was from late November perhaps. Anyway, is the assumption that she was murdered after the roommate left at 4:30 a.m.? The neighbor said she heard banging but that was right after they returned from the club I believe. So if so, the killer must have been entered soon after Karena left. Did Karena have a boy friend? I'm sure these are all things that have long ago been discussed here, so I apologize for having to ask.

Actually, I think I did listen to the Nancy Grace one, which wasn't bad. There are a lot of podcasts covering this case out there, and the quality varies greatly.
Yes, the thought is that the murder took place sometime after the roommate left at 4:30 am. The guy she left with wasn't her 'boyfriend' exactly, and I don't think she really had an official one at that point. Sounds like she was in kind of a "seeing a few people" phase.

Actually, I think I did listen to the Nancy Grace one, which wasn't bad. There are a lot of podcasts covering this case out there, and the quality varies greatly.
Yes, the thought is that the murder took place sometime after the roommate left at 4:30 am. The guy she left with wasn't her 'boyfriend' exactly, and I don't think she really had an official one at that point. Sounds like she was in kind of a "seeing a few people" phase.
I am still suspicious of Karena's ex boyfriend Jones. He for some reason apparently really hated Faith and had even threatened to kill her. Do we know what the reason was for the animosity? The action and statements of the police and DA after the arrest lead me to believe that there may be more arrests. Could the roommate's ex bf have arranged for Miguel to carry out the attack? Almost seems likely to me.

I am still suspicious of Karena's ex boyfriend Jones. He for some reason apparently really hated Faith and had even threatened to kill her. Do we know what the reason was for the animosity? The action and statements of the police and DA after the arrest lead me to believe that there may be more arrests. Could the roommate's ex bf have arranged for Miguel to carry out the attack? Almost seems likely to me.

There were a lot of good reasons to suspect Takoy. The reason why I don't think he was involved is just that it seems like MESO would have been discovered much sooner if he had some connection to Takoy.

Takoy also seems to have been pretty happy about MESO getting arrested, based on the public statement he made, which seems like an unlikely reaction if he were involved.

The reason for the animosity was because he and Karena had been sharing an apartment, but then they broke up and he moved out (to another apartment literally a few hundred feet away.) Then, twice, he forced his way back in and assaulted her. Faith understandably wasn't a fan of this, so she took Karena to get a restraining order against him and moved in herself. That made Takoy furious and was the source of his threats against her (Faith).

The reason for the animosity was because he and Karena had been sharing an apartment, but then they broke up and he moved out (to another apartment literally a few hundred feet away.) Then, twice, he forced his way back in and assaulted her. Faith understandably wasn't a fan of this, so she took Karena to get a restraining order against him and moved in herself. That made Takoy furious and was the source of his threats against her (Faith).
Thank you for that information. That is very interesting. I have seen quite a few similar situations. That kind of man is extremely volatile.

Hi PrairieWind… you’re listed as a “verified attorney” so just wondering if maybe you can address some questions I’m still unclear on:

Following a preliminary hearing (as in this case) in which charges are read, is there some sort of time limit on how long it can take before an arraignment hearing or probable-cause hearing must take place, or before a trial date must be set (also, is there a difference betw. an arraignment & ‘probable cause’ hearing, or same thing?)? Can a defendant charged with murder simply be held in jail indefinitely while such hearings await scheduling? Is it unusual (or somewhat routine) for a scheduled arraignment hearing to be postponed without a quick rescheduling made? And any thoughts on the most likely explanation for an arraignment to be postponed for such a long while (now, well over 2 months, and zero press coverage)? (I realize there may be some differences from state to state, and you may or may not be familiar with specific NC law)

Hi PrairieWind… you’re listed as a “verified attorney” so just wondering if maybe you can address some questions I’m still unclear on:

Following a preliminary hearing (as in this case) in which charges are read, is there some sort of time limit on how long it can take before an arraignment hearing or probable-cause hearing must take place, or before a trial date must be set (also, is there a difference betw. an arraignment & ‘probable cause’ hearing, or same thing?)? Can a defendant charged with murder simply be held in jail indefinitely while such hearings await scheduling? Is it unusual (or somewhat routine) for a scheduled arraignment hearing to be postponed without a quick rescheduling made? And any thoughts on the most likely explanation for an arraignment to be postponed for such a long while (now, well over 2 months, and zero press coverage)? (I realize there may be some differences from state to state, and you may or may not be familiar with specific NC law)
Hi Webthrush. I am not sure where the legal process is with MESO. However I'll try answer your questions in general. As you stated things vary from state to state. There are certain Constitutional timeline requirements, but those can be waived by the Defense, and frequently are. The first hearing is the "Initial Appearance" and is usually required within 24 hours. The charges are read to the defendant, application for counsel obtained and bond set if appropriate. This is frequently referred to as "arraignment" but that is incorrect. The true Arraignment comes a few weeks later typically. This is where charges are again read and the Defendant formally enters a plea of guilty or not guilty. A true arraignment is often waived or delayed if additional charges may be pending. A "preliminary hearing" or "probable cause" hearing comes a while later, weeks or months to see if there is enough cause for the case to proceed. This is very frequently waived. The terms of these hearings vary from state to states and often even legal people throw around terms that aren't actually correct, based upon their jurisdiction. So sometimes things as reported in media can be confusing. MESO has undoubtedly been appointed counsel. If they felt he was innocent, they would have pressed for arraignment and a bond hearing. That hasn't happened apparently. So the delays we see can only really be with consent of the Defense. I assume there are more charges coming and more defendants. DA is perhaps working on a deal with MESO to cooperate.

MESA had only been in the US less than 2 years when the murder occurred and is reported to have spoke little to no English at the time. He didn't write that note on the bag. I really suspect there are more people involved here.

MESA had only been in the US less than 2 years when the murder occurred and is reported to have spoke little to no English at the time. He didn't write that note on the bag. I really suspect there are more people involved here.

Thanks Prairie, for all the clarifying info on court proceedings.
As far as the bag, that is a HUGE enigma that we have discussed (argued over) at length, people split over whether MESO could have written those words. His touch DNA was on the pen, so there’s THAT. But perhaps he only wrote one word and the rest was written by a 2nd perp (who wore gloves, or why wasn’t his touch DNA collected also?); some folks think there are 2 different letter styles involved; or perhaps the bag was already mostly written on previously before the crime… but then surely KR would’ve told LE that, and they wouldn’t have made such a big deal out of the entire message…? All very strange and hard to decipher. Or perhaps MESO’s English was just good enough to do it.

And now GottaHaveFaith: I can’t totally shake this… you are the one who mentioned back in Sept. that Ty had skipped town and moved to Colombia, but it wasn’t clear in your post if he did that before MESO was ever arrested or shortly after MESO’s arrest (which would certainly be odd timing, after living all this time in US). Do you know the timing by any chance?

Thanks Prairie, for all the clarifying info on court proceedings.
As far as the bag, that is a HUGE enigma that we have discussed (argued over) at length, people split over whether MESO could have written those words. His touch DNA was on the pen, so there’s THAT. But perhaps he only wrote one word and the rest was written by a 2nd perp (who wore gloves, or why wasn’t his touch DNA collected also?); some folks think there are 2 different letter styles involved; or perhaps the bag was already mostly written on previously before the crime… but then surely KR would’ve told LE that, and they wouldn’t have made such a big deal out of the entire message…? All very strange and hard to decipher. Or perhaps MESO’s English was just good enough to do it.

And now GottaHaveFaith: I can’t totally shake this… you are the one who mentioned back in Sept. that Ty had skipped town and moved to Colombia, but it wasn’t clear in your post if he did that before MESO was ever arrested or shortly after MESO’s arrest (which would certainly be odd timing, after living all this time in US). Do you know the timing by any chance?

Hi @Webthrush, unfortunately, I do not know the exact timing of his move to Colombia. But, I think he's lived there from at least the time of the arrest through today. His socials are relatively private, but his IG still lists Colombia as where he's currently at.

MESO's DNA somehow ended up on the note and the pen used to write the note, so it seems impossible that anybody else could have written it. Furthermore, MESO's limited english skills actually resolve much of the mystery surrounding the note. For example, it was unclear for years why the words appear to be out of order, but knowing that it was written by someone who was only barely fluent in the language provides an answer.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clarice34ON4ill
Back