NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MESA had only been in the US less than 2 years when the murder occurred and is reported to have spoke little to no English at the time. He didn't write that note on the bag. I really suspect there are more people involved here.

Two years is more than enough time to learn a handful of words in English. I guess people will never stop trying to pin this on Karena. Only one person's DNA was there and it wasn't hers.

Two years is more than enough time to learn a handful of words in English. I guess people will never stop trying to pin this on Karena. Only one person's DNA was there and it wasn't hers.

How do you know only one person's DNA was there and it wasn't hers? It was Karena's bag, so I would think her DNA would have been all over it as well...

Last edited:
Why would it matter?

I would expect multiple DNA sets on the bag. Both girls at least plus whoever prepared the order at Time Out. The significance of MESO's DNA being on it is because his DNA isn't expected to be there, and they know it's not just some random person's DNA because it matches the semen.
As far as whether or not he wrote the message on it, it's not a big jump in logic since his DNA is also on the pen (I presume there is some kind of test that confirms whether or not a given pen matches certain writing.) I guess it's possible he picked up both the pen and bag, then saw an existing message on the bag and just decided to throw it on the bed, but it doesn't seem likely.

I would expect multiple DNA sets on the bag. Both girls at least plus whoever prepared the order at Time Out. The significance of MESO's DNA being on it is because his DNA isn't expected to be there, and they know it's not just some random person's DNA because it matches the semen.
As far as whether or not he wrote the message on it, it's not a big jump in logic since his DNA is also on the pen (I presume there is some kind of test that confirms whether or not a given pen matches certain writing.) I guess it's possible he picked up both the pen and bag, then saw an existing message on the bag and just decided to throw it on the bed, but it doesn't seem likely.

I agree with everything you said. My point was more that it doesn't actually matter if Karena's DNA was on the note or not, because it wouldn't be inculpatory.

Once again we are left to wonder what on earth they're doing. It has been months since the arrest, and yet still no arraignment. This seems improper, possibly even illegal.

Last edited:
I can’t believe it’s the new year and we still haven’t heard a word about the progress of the case or anything for that matter. It appears Faith’s family and friends haven’t been saying anything publicly either. I’ve been a pretty avid follower of true crime cases since the Casey Anthony case and I can’t recall this kind of silence for so long after an arrest. What is going on here??? Has anyone heard anything new?

I can’t believe it’s the new year and we still haven’t heard a word about the progress of the case or anything for that matter. It appears Faith’s family and friends haven’t been saying anything publicly either. I’ve been a pretty avid follower of true crime cases since the Casey Anthony case and I can’t recall this kind of silence for so long after an arrest. What is going on here??? Has anyone heard anything new?

Yup, a bit bewildering (not just that LE/courts have said nothing for 4 months, but that press/journalists are asking no questions???). Can only imagine that, as the investigation is ongoing, police are anticipating further arrests, and perhaps such arrests may alter the charges finally filed, before going to trial, against Olivares (currently charged with "first degree murder")... but pure speculation. Any other ideas?

Yup, a bit bewildering (not just that LE/courts have said nothing for 4 months, but that press/journalists are asking no questions???). Can only imagine that, as the investigation is ongoing, police are anticipating further arrests, and perhaps such arrests may alter the charges finally filed, before going to trial, against Olivares (currently charged with "first degree murder")... but pure speculation. Any other ideas?

Are there any details to the charges other than murder? Seems odd that he wouldn't also be charged with burglary and sexual assault. Unless those are considered part of the murder charge.

Are there any details to the charges other than murder? Seems odd that he wouldn't also be charged with burglary and sexual assault. Unless those are considered part of the murder charge.

interesting point, but I just looked again at the Durham County Sheriff's Office incarcerated page and he is ONLY listed for "first degree murder"; plenty of inmates are listed with multiple charges.

Hmm, never thought about that, interesting. I'm pretty sure burglary would not fit under the umbrella of the murder charge but I'm not positive.

Hmm, never thought about that, interesting. I'm pretty sure burglary would not fit under the umbrella of the murder charge but I'm not positive.

Now that I think about it, he could have easily run out the statute of limitations for burglary. That is probably less than 5 years. But the statute of limitations should be much longer for sexual assault.

I find it odd as well that there has been mostly silence since his arrest. I just watched an episode of Real Life Nightmare regarding this and even months after the arrest, there is still an active reward for information as well as a tip line still active. How many more people are involved?

I find it odd as well that there has been mostly silence since his arrest. I just watched an episode of Real Life Nightmare regarding this and even months after the arrest, there is still an active reward for information as well as a tip line still active. How many more people are involved?

Literally every day since the guy was arrested, I've checked for updates and there is no been essentially no new information released. I'm quite confused as to what is exactly going on. There was some PI who worked on the case and he said that there might be more than 1 person involved, but I'm uncertain how credible that is.

I'm worried they might have tunnel vision, like after all these years of elaborate conspiracy theories, they can't accept that it really was just this 1 guy who nobody has heard of. And so they're unnecessarily dragging out the investigation, in hopes of catching one of the more popular suspects (Takoy Jones, especially) in the net.

My opinion on this murder has always been that it was most likely committed by a singular offender. If we get some new information which points to more than 1 person being involved, then I will have to reconsider, but I doubt there will be any more arrests.

However, I am curious about how Real-Life Nightmare covered the murder. What, if anything, did they say about Miguel Enrique Salguero-Olivares? (I call him MESO, usually) And did the program feature a guy named Arlo West? Was he part of it?

Were there any interviews with a woman named Marisol Rangel? And although I'm afraid to ask, how did they talk about Karena Rosario?

Last edited:
Literally every day since the guy was arrested, I've checked for updates and there is no been essentially no new information released. I'm quite confused as to what is exactly going on. There was some PI who worked on the case and he said that there might be more than 1 person involved, but I'm uncertain how credible that is.

I'm worried they might have tunnel vision, like after all these years of elaborate conspiracy theories, they can't accept that it really was just this 1 guy who nobody has heard of. And so they're unnecessarily dragging out the investigation, in hopes of catching one of the more popular suspects (Takoy Jones, especially) in the net.

My opinion on this murder has always been that it was most likely committed by a singular offender. If we get some new information which points to more than 1 person being involved, then I will have to reconsider, but I doubt there will be any more arrests.

However, I am curious about how Real-Life Nightmare covered the murder. What, if anything, did they say about Miguel Enrique Salguero-Olivares? (I call him MESO, usually) And did the program feature a guy named Arlo West? Was he part of it?

Were there any interviews with a woman named Marisol Rangel? And although I'm afraid to ask, how did they talk about Karena Rosario?

The vast majority of the episode was produced before the arrest, so they only mentioned it briefly at the end. There was really nothing they mentioned that we didn't already know. Rosario declined to be interviewed for the episode and they for the most part they talked about the crime itself more than they talked about the investigation. I do not recall and Arlo West being mentioned, most of the interviews were with her parents, siblings and friends. Overall, nothing new was learned, IMO.

The vast majority of the episode was produced before the arrest, so they only mentioned it briefly at the end. There was really nothing they mentioned that we didn't already know. Rosario declined to be interviewed for the episode and they for the most part they talked about the crime itself more than they talked about the investigation. I do not recall and Arlo West being mentioned, most of the interviews were with her parents, siblings and friends. Overall, nothing new was learned, IMO.

That actually sounds pretty okay. Even just Arlo West not being a part of it is a definite point in its favor.

Last edited:

Law enforcement doesn’t have the ability to just do whatever they want, not to mention they have time and budget constraints, especially these days, I doubt they are just dragging things out because they want to, that’s not the way it works.

I’m wondering if there is more forensic evidence they have decided to test and are waiting for results to come back. That’s the only thing I can think of at this point.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viki Cowan
Back