NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I keep wondering if part of the delay in this case proceeding could be because they’re working on the suspect to give up anyone else involved. And if he has shared the involvement of another/others, is LE working on gathering evidence to make such case(s) prosecutable.

I believe this is probably what’s happening. JMO and gut feeling.

I keep hoping that is what the hold up is! I've read other comments by this investigator and he seems to think this was not a one person job.

I'm still leaning towards at least one other person being involved somehow, I just don't believe he just happened to come upon Faith alone in an unlocked apartment while in the area for a party or looking for places to break in to. I just don't think it's totally random.
You may be right.

A random rape and murder by a suspect like MESO would not be unusual, but the note found on the bed is what makes me hesitate to write it off as that. This could even be a paid hit by a jealous female; the sexual assault doesn't preclude that possibility.

Then again, maybe the note was simply an attempt by MESO to mislead investigators.

There could be plenty of reasons why LE has been slow to provide any updates, at any rate. Aside from the issue related to the suppression of evidence, prosecutors may have decided to seek the death penalty, in which case they need to dot every i, cross every t, and triple check everything.

Last edited:
You may be right.

A random rape and murder by a suspect like MESO would not be unusual, but the note found on the bed is what makes me hesitate to write it off as that. This could even be a paid hit by a jealous female; the sexual assault doesn't preclude that possibility.

Then again, maybe the note was simply an attempt by MESO to mislead investigators.

There could be plenty of reasons why LE has been slow to provide any updates, at any rate. Aside from the issue related to the suppression of evidence, prosecutors may have decided to seek the death penalty, in which case they need to dot every i, cross every t, and triple check everything.

Actually, the DA came out a week after the arrest and stated she wasn't seeking the death penalty. That's about the only official statement that has been made.

A new video covering Faith’s case came out on Youtube yesterday, don’t think I’m allowed to link it though. No new info and if was pretty general overview of everything that’s already out there but I always take time to look at the comments sections of videos, I’ve found some interesting things in other cases that way. An investigator that worked for Faith’s family, Hunter Glass, made the following comment:

“Myself and my partner worked privately for free for the family. There is a lot more to this case. When it’s all said and done it will be something. As for not speaking English, well, my man is full of it.”

As usual, of course there is probably plenty we don’t know. I’ve noticed Faith’s parents seem to be quite careful when asked about Karena in interviews, it seems to me they don’t want to say anything bad about her and I wonder if that is because they don’t think she was involved or if they don’t want to rock the boat while this investigation is still going on. In the Breaking Homicide episode Faith’s sister seemed to have no problem saying she thought Karena’s 911 call was bs, which makes me wonder what they family’s real stance on Karena is...

Hunter Glass is back plugging himself, looks like. I'll be pretty surprised if he ends up knowing anything of any importance.

Actually, the DA came out a week after the arrest and stated she wasn't seeking the death penalty. That's about the only official statement that has been made.
I suppose she could have changed her mind, especially if evidence of more crimes by the same perp has come to light.

I feel pretty confident that KR had nothing to do with it and, if I'm correct, I hope that law enforcement will make a statement about her lack of involvement to put the matter to rest.

I feel pretty confident that KR had nothing to do with it and, if I'm correct, I hope that law enforcement will make a statement about her lack of involvement to put the matter to rest.

I fully agree with the sentiment, but I don't think there will ever be some grand announcement wherein the police proclaim her to be an innocent person all along. I think the closest we'll get is that at some point they'll admit MESO acted alone, and that will be the end of it.

Last edited:
I fully agree with the sentiment, but I don't think there will ever be some grand announcement wherein the police proclaim her to be an innocent person all along. I think the closest we'll get is that at some point they'll admit MESO acted alone, and that will be the end of it.

well, I'd just note that there are LOTS of possibilities besides the 2 alternatives of MESO acted alone or KR was involved.

Hunter Glass is back plugging himself, looks like. I'll be pretty surprised if he ends up knowing anything of any importance.

Is this guy not legit or it there an issue with him? I looked him up, he seems to have a very extensive background in investigation.

Is this guy not legit or it there an issue with him? I looked him up, he seems to have a very extensive background in investigation.

It’s just the way he’s popping up everywhere now that there’s been an arrest, always reminding people he worked on the case (making sure to mention he did it for free, too!) and insinuating that he has some sort of insider knowledge of what’s going on.
When it actually mattered, back when the case was unsolved, he got his own segment on the 20/20 episode and essentially came up with nothing.

Can't help but feel like Faith has been forgotten about. I hope her family is at least receiving updates, if there are any to be had.

I believe it is a situation of building a good case. I know we don't want to see anyone who had knowledge or acted with MO before or after Faith's murder. The discovery phase can last a year or so. It's only the beginning. What breaks my heart is they (CHPD) had the presser. They (CHPD) could have just alerted the family. Politics. I am grateful there was an arrest but I feel like since day one CHPD has had so many missteps in the investigation. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise...rock-solid case. Definitely don't want to see MO or anyone only in prison for 6-8 years. #J4F

Unfortunately, we're probably in for the long haul here, whether anyone else gets charged or not.

GUILTY - NC - Deah Barakat, 23, his wife & her sister murdered, Chapel Hill, 10 Feb 2015

This was the last major Chapel Hill case that made nationwide headlines. The murder happened in February 2015, and the guy turned himself in almost right away and gave an immediate, detailed confession. They had rock-solid evidence in the form of a cell phone video of the murder. Yet the first real news about it was almost two years later in January 2017, and the sentencing didn't happen until June of 2019.
So, recap: Suspect immediately in custody, incontrovertible evidence, confession of guilt, guilty plea, no trial... and there was still no resolution for four years.
I'd really love for that not to be the case here, but I'm not optimistic.

I believe it is a situation of building a good case. I know we don't want to see anyone who had knowledge or acted with MO before or after Faith's murder. The discovery phase can last a year or so. It's only the beginning. What breaks my heart is they (CHPD) had the presser. They (CHPD) could have just alerted the family. Politics. I am grateful there was an arrest but I feel like since day one CHPD has had so many missteps in the investigation. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise...rock-solid case. Definitely don't want to see MO or anyone only in prison for 6-8 years. #J4F

gee, hope you’re right… longer this goes on the more I worry that maybe the case is falling apart… or, all they have on Miguel is DNA (and nothing else) and that it is somehow compromised. Given how much overall evidence they already had, just hard to imagine what is taking this long to make further arrests or have another hearing for MESO, though perhaps plea-bargaining could take this long, or determining who had knowledge they failed to share… but as you imply, just heartbreaking that the family/friends are being put through this, as if victimized all over again by a crappy system.

gee, hope you’re right… longer this goes on the more I worry that maybe the case is falling apart… or, all they have on Miguel is DNA (and nothing else) and that it is somehow compromised. Given how much overall evidence they already had, just hard to imagine what is taking this long to make further arrests or have another hearing for MESO, though perhaps plea-bargaining could take this long, or determining who had knowledge they failed to share… but as you imply, just heartbreaking that the family/friends are being put through this, as if victimized all over again by a crappy system.

His palm print was found on the murder weapon, so it's not likely that the case is falling apart. Like i said before, these case's take years to come to trial, and if the suspect decides to plead, then we may never get new info about what really happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ANicholls16
Back