GUILTY NC - Jeff & Tanya Borlase, found murdered, 17 y/o son charged, Deep Gap, Apr 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Onaliv

Reaction score
https://www.hcpress.com/news/our-pa...es-announced-for-deep-gap-murder-victims.html

By Nathan Ham High Country Press

The funeral services for Jeff and Tanya Borlase, the parents who were killed in Deep Gap last week, will take place on Wednesday, April 17 at 2 p.m. at Alliance Bible Fellowship.

Jeff, 43, and Tanya, 44, were found dead on Wednesday night after deputies from the Watauga County Sheriff’s Office responded to 1174 Orchard Road to investigate a suspicious incident.

Tristan Noah Borlase, 17, was later apprehended in Johnson County, Tennessee and charged with two counts of murder. Tristan is one of eight children in the family.

As the community mourns the tragic incident that took place almost a week ago, the children who are dealing with the untimely loss of their parents at such an early age found the strength inside to write the obituary for both of their parents:

“Our parents never got the chance to live for themselves because they were always living for us. We can find comfort in the fact that they were each other’s true loves and that they are still together, looking down on us and grieving with and for us, but not in pain. Dad dedicated himself to working hard to provide for our family, but never missed a chance to hug us, tell us he loved us, leave a cute note on our windshield, come to a sporting event, or tell us he was proud of us. Dad led by example when he loved with whole heart, unconditionally, encouraging us to chase after God’s calling while supporting us in every aspiration. From the first day of his high school summer job, Dad knew he had met the woman he would spend the rest of his life with. And he did. He fell in love with good reason as Mom had to grow up way too fast, but allowed us to grow up slow. She was the most patient, forgiving, selfless person who would give too much of herself to make sure not only her children and family were okay, but also friends, strangers, and animals. Her life was devoted to praying, advocating for, and unconditionally loving her children. Jeff and Tanya were always an incredible joy to their parents, and always a source of pride. Every life who encountered our parents was left impacted, inspired, and changed. Our parents made the world better and we hope to continue that legacy, loving people, fiercely and reaching hearts for Jesus.”

A memorial fund has also been set up for the Borlase family. Memorial contributions may be made to a fund for the family, established by Blowing Rock Parks & Rec, in care of Autumn, PO Box 47, Blowing Rock North Carolina, 28605 (Please make checks payable to Alexis Borlase), or to the MSC Education Fund, in care of Manhatten Supply Company, 525 Harbour Place, Davidson, North Carolina, 28036.

Hampton Funeral and Cremation service is in charge of the arrangements.

OMG that obituary is amazing! So well written & heartfelt. I had to pour a glass of wine after reading the first sentence. This couple sounds like they were wonderful parents, but something went really wrong somewhere.

Anxious to read more and hopefully get some answers. Those poor kids....my heart goes out to them.

That is a beautifully worded obituary.

I do not know what happened other than what is stated here but may they RIP.

I wonder how old all of the children are, simply because if they are all minors, I hope there is a relative that can take them all and keep them together.

One of their children who allegedly did this, that makes it even more tragic for the remaining children because it is basically a triple loss to them. I will refrain on saying much until more is known.

It’s a very sad case. These parents fostered and adopted several children and gave their hearts to the needs of the family, and certainly didn’t deserve this. Only time will reveal if this was a case of mental illness or if there was some other underlying factor that triggered the 17 year old to (allegedly) do this. The community is stepping up to help, as are the extended family of the victims. There are 8 children (including the one who is charged) who are now without their parents and their lives have been turned upside down.

Is perp their only biological child?

Someone else may know more but I do not think we know. Articles have said of the eight children, a few were foster children and I thought I had read somewhere that three were foster children and that left me thinking the other five were bio children. However, it is not said the other possible five were biological so I guess they could be adopted or biological children...

Not sure?

I have yet to find any information regarding biological children vs. foster children. There is a brief statement in the article below from the school superintendent (in bold).

First court appearance is scheduled for May 7th.

.......Deputies were dispatched to the area to investigate the disappearance of three family members, reported by a family member.

The affidavit stated that interviews were conducted, and it alleged "it was learned that Tristan Borlase had been seen with blood on his face and hands by a family member at the murder scene." The document alleged that Tristan Borlase then left the scene.

The affidavit states that Borlase was apprehended while operating a vehicle registered to Jeffery Borlase, which had been taken from the crime scene.

The couple were parents or guardians of at least eight children, although some were believed to be of college age.

Documents indicate that he is being held without bond with a first appearance in court set for May 7. Garland Baker has been appointed as Borlase's defense attorney.
(RSBM)
Names of homicide victims released; teen son charged with murder

I have yet to find any information regarding biological children vs. foster children. There is a brief statement in the article below from the school superintendent (in bold).

First court appearance is scheduled for May 7th.

.......Deputies were dispatched to the area to investigate the disappearance of three family members, reported by a family member.

The affidavit stated that interviews were conducted, and it alleged "it was learned that Tristan Borlase had been seen with blood on his face and hands by a family member at the murder scene." The document alleged that Tristan Borlase then left the scene.

The affidavit states that Borlase was apprehended while operating a vehicle registered to Jeffery Borlase, which had been taken from the crime scene.

The couple were parents or guardians of at least eight children, although some were believed to be of college age.

Documents indicate that he is being held without bond with a first appearance in court set for May 7. Garland Baker has been appointed as Borlase's defense attorney.
(RSBM)
Names of homicide victims released; teen son charged with murder

It sounds like they had older bio kids, some moved away already, and their 17 yr old, and then younger adoptees and foster kids.

My neighbours had 3 bio kids, then adopted 4 special needs kids over a 5 year span.

There was only one bio kid left at home when they began taking in foster kids, whom they adopted. They were lovely people who were loving parents.

But the youngest bio son who was still home when they began adopting----he was not a happy camper. They eventually became estranged from each other. He felt his parents were selfish by bringing all these 'needy kids' into HIS home, right when he finally had the parents to himself.

I kind of understood how he felt but he was an odd duck. He was very quiet and reserved and kept to himself. So his folks had no idea that he would be so upset about them adopting more kids.

I am wondering if there was a similar dynamic going on here?

At least 3 bio children
Someone else may know more but I do not think we know. Articles have said of the eight children, a few were foster children and I thought I had read somewhere that three were foster children and that left me thinking the other five were bio children. However, it is not said the other possible five were biological so I guess they could be adopted or biological children...

Not sure?
other way around - 3 biological children, 5 adopted

It sounds like they had older bio kids, some moved away already, and their 17 yr old, and then younger adoptees and foster kids.

My neighbours had 3 bio kids, then adopted 4 special needs kids over a 5 year span.

There was only one bio kid left at home when they began taking in foster kids, whom they adopted. They were lovely people who were loving parents.

But the youngest bio son who was still home when they began adopting----he was not a happy camper. They eventually became estranged from each other. He felt his parents were selfish by bringing all these 'needy kids' into HIS home, right when he finally had the parents to himself.

I kind of understood how he felt but he was an odd duck. He was very quiet and reserved and kept to himself. So his folks had no idea that he would be so upset about them adopting more kids.

I am wondering if there was a similar dynamic going on here?

That very well could be true! He was supposed to graduate high school next month and then head off to college. You'd think he could put up with it a little bit longer! Such a shame.

Wait, he had someone in the car with him when apprehended. From the article posted above by @JDough:

"Records state that two subjects were detained. Hagaman said the second person in the vehicle was also a minor."

So, one of his siblings or an accomplice? Was he trying to kidnap one of his siblings? Wasn't he apprehended in Tennessee? Wonder what the story is...

Article link: Names of homicide victims released; teen son charged with murder

Wait, he had someone in the car with him when apprehended. From the article posted above by @JDough:

"Records state that two subjects were detained. Hagaman said the second person in the vehicle was also a minor."

So, one of his siblings or an accomplice? Was he trying to kidnap one of his siblings? Wasn't he apprehended in Tennessee? Wonder what the story is...

Article link: Names of homicide victims released; teen son charged with murder

Unofficial “discussion” locally by folks familiar with case = the passenger in car when he was arrested is his GF and also a minor; whether the GF was involved in the killings remains unclear but with no other arrests it appears unlikely; the area in TN where apprehended is relatively close to Boone/Deep Gap NC; there’s a tight lid on info (and rightfully so) but when this goes to trial the details will be known. If you’re a praying person, the children need lots of prayers.

Just so you all know, media in N.C. really sucks. There are so many holes in these articles with misinformation including major grammatical errors, (e.g. Arrested for Murder in Parents). Wrong facts on how and where they were found, etc.

Jeff and Tanya had four biological children and four adopted/foster. Tristan was the youngest and very young when they started adopting/fostering and the oldest two adopted children were known to have brought additional stress into the home, which were related to their own tragedies.

No parent can prepare for parricide or know what epigenetic events will occur. Just like cancer can be triggered from a car accident, so can mental illness. What those of us who know them, know is that they were loving people who wanted to give their love to the disadvantaged and that their older children are strong and will succeed. I also know they would want us to forgive Tristan, no matter what irreparable crime he committed. They wanted to share their love with those that didn’t have it, but maybe didn’t realize the sacrifice.

That is a beautifully worded obituary.

I do not know what happened other than what is stated here but may they RIP.

I wonder how old all of the children are, simply because if they are all minors, I hope there is a relative that can take them all and keep them together.

One of their children who allegedly did this, that makes it even more tragic for the remaining children because it is basically a triple loss to them. I will refrain on saying much until more is known.

Not sure?

The numbers are 4 and 4.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff