GUILTY NC - Jeff & Tanya Borlase, found murdered, 17 y/o son charged, Deep Gap, Apr 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So none of the other children (sounds like all others were young adults, not living at home) were at home other than Tristan?
Tristan is the youngest?

So none of the other children (sounds like all others were young adults, not living at home) were at home other than Tristan?
Tristan is the youngest?

I would have to look back but I do think he was the youngest biological child if I recall. One thing I never quite got with the reporting is how they kept pointing out the house they sold was for $500,000.00. It seemed odd to me, what was the point of that? Pointing out their level of income/living? Hinting at a motive? Or just data they could find to fill their reporting and the news article?

Just strikes me odd. Who cares what price they received for their former home? Parents are dead and children have lost their parents and their brother most likely.

Jmo though.

Sadly, this looks like it was thought out (five cell phones with info--unless of course this was after the fact) and yet not well thought out at all. Also, with the killing of two there was a at least a split second decision somewhere in there to go from one to the next which to me was first degree, as would be a prior intent and a previous plan.

Again, just my non-expert opinion on the little we know.

Tristan Borlase: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.

Heavy article above - Tristan attended high school in Mooresville.
169 Deerwood Lane, Mooresville NC

Mooresville, North Carolina - Wikipedia

Moved to Deep Gap NC
1174 Orchard Road - police respond to this address, find parents murdered.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1174-Orchard-Rd-Deep-Gap-NC-28618/102275249_zpid/

Deep Gap, North Carolina - Wikipedia

Perhaps the Heavy article author was just stating what was found on public records?

This is just an unbelievable tragedy.

These parents both seem to be exceptionally kind, and loving parents.

Its tragic they never knew the one they had to fear would be their very own child.

I see this type of situation often of a murdered parent or parents who have a large family with many children.

Then there will be one among all the other siblings who will be filled with evil intentions. The rest of their children will be those with beautiful souls, and deeply caring, just like the parents who raised them all.

What a tragic loss for all of their other children. My heart weeps for them all. The obit shows just how much they were deeply loved, and cherished by the rest of their children.

I wouldn't be surprised they were both murdered in cold blood because they may not have approved of his GF.

In recent years when parents are murdered by their own child the motive for doing so is as senseless, bizarre, and nonsensical as the murders themselves.

Many times now it seems its about the murdering child not getting to do something they wanted to do or about what they didnt want to do when the parents asked.

Last edited:
This is just an unbelievable tragedy.

These parents both seem to be exceptionally kind, and loving parents.

Its tragic they never knew the one they had to fear would be their very own child.

I see this type of situation often of a murdered parent or parents who have a large family with many children.

Then there will be one among all the other siblings who will be filled with evil intentions. The rest of their children will be those with beautiful souls, and deeply caring, just like the parents who raised them all.

What a tragic loss for all of their other children. My heart weeps for them all. The obit shows just how much they were deeply loved, and cherished by the rest of their children.

I wouldn't be surprised they were both murdered in cold blood because they may not have approved of his GF.

In recent years when parents are murdered by their own child the motive for doing so is as senseless, bizarre, and nonsensical as the murders themselves.

Many times now it seems its about the murdering child not getting to do something they wanted to do or about what they didnt want to do when the parents asked.

I do not know what the reason is here but I agree that often it is because of one thing--disapproval of a girlfriend or boyfriend, they can't take the vehicle, they are told they have to stay home and do homework, they cannot use their cell phone, etc. Those all sound like shallow reasons but they seem to be the case sometimes. Something must (I would hope) lie beneath such things that is more serious but it often seems that shallow. It does sometimes seem that they just think life would be so perfect and magical if the parents were gone. I truly cannot decide here thus far because we know very little.

One thing I have decided is because the truck was hidden or appeared to be in the woods with mulch in the back on top of the mother that clearly right from wrong is known.

Another thing I think is likely is that there was intent which I think in most and maybe all states applies for first degree murder. One teen against two parents with a knife? Either someone else was involved or he had both under control, it was done one at a time as they came in separately, or someone else was involved. In all cases outlined, there is a conscious decision I feel.

The article above mentioning evidence was found on something like five cell phones also hints at intention (unless it was talk afterwards which is unlikely as he was arrested pretty quickly).

Sad and tragic and he gave up his life as well most likely...

This case is very quiet, not sure why. I had to search a bit but here is an article from 04/29. He is due in court next week. This article also names the female with him.

Five cell phones with evidence it sounds like...

https://www.hcpress.com/news/court-...rants-involved-in-deep-gap-homicide-case.html
At this point not sure there’s anything else for media to report (news media in this area aren’t of the investigative type IMO). The only fortunate aspect of this case is that it’s solved vs unsolved.

At this point not sure there’s anything else for media to report (news media in this area aren’t of the investigative type IMO). The only fortunate aspect of this case is that it’s solved vs unsolved.

I agree--the case is solved and was quickly solved.

I think media is becoming that way in general. I can't remember where but I read a few months ago that there is scant budget given anymore for travel and investigation or in depth stories and that is with MSM. Then, as you say, local media who is present and has no travel to speak of is often not investigative in most areas.

imo.

Court Dates | North Carolina Judicial Branch
Case Number: 19CR050415
Defendant Name: BORLASE,TRISTAN,NOAH
County: WATAUGA
Court Date: 05/07/2019
Session: AM
Court Room: 000B

Arraigned Offenses
Offense Code Description Statute
0930 Felony-MURDER 14-17
0930 Felony-MURDER 14-17

Calendars / Criminal Calendars
IN THE GENERAL COURT OF JUSTICE
LOCATION: BOONE, N.C. DISTRICT COURT DIVISION COUNTY OF WATAUGA
WATAUGA DISTRICT CRIMINAL COURT

DISTRICT COURT CALENDAR PAGE: 3
COURT DATE: 05/07/19 TIME: 09:00 AM COURTROOM NUMBER: 000B
NO. FILE NUMBER DEFENDANT NAME COMPLAINANT ATTORNEY CONT
*************************************************************************************
NO. FILE NUMBER DEFENDANT NAME COMPLAINANT ATTORNEY CONT
9 19CR 050415 BORLASE,TRISTAN,NOAH SMITH,L SFF 1

(F)MURDER PLEA: VER:
CLS: P: L: DOM VL: Y JUDGMENT:

(F)MURDER PLEA: VER:
CLS: P: L: JUDGMENT:

Just checking in.

I haven't seen anything in MSM regarding the 05/07 hearing. Has anyone else seen anything?

Just checking in.

I haven't seen anything in MSM regarding the 05/07 hearing. Has anyone else seen anything?

I did a search of a few minutes and found nothing regarding the hearing either.

This is a double murder and there seems to be little news on it?

Found this article dated 04/25/19

Teen Charged with Murder After Blood Trails Found Throughout Home

TB, 17, is charged with murder. Warrants for multiple cell phones and surveillance cameras describe what deputies saw when they walked in the home. Warrants show they found blood throughout the entire home and it appeared someone had taken a shower.

Aside from that surveillance video, there is one other warrant in the large stack that stands out. That was for the suspect’s Snapchat account. Warrants show the suspect may have put pictures on his account of injuries that day that he claimed were from a dog bite.

Tristan was only one of eight children in the family, four of which were adopted.

Next Court Date: 08/06/2019
https://www.nccourts.gov/court-dates
Case Details
Court Date: 08/06/2019

Arraigned Offenses
0930 Felony-MURDER 14-17
0930 Felony-MURDER 14-17

Double homicide case continued pending grand jury
MAY 9, 2019
BOONE — The cases of the murders of a Deep Gap couple was continued after the suspect was represented in District Court by his attorney on May 7.

Tristan Noah Borlase, of Orchard Road, Deep Gap — who was 17 at the time of the alleged crime — was arrested on April 11 and charged with two counts of murder. Court documents state that authorities believed that “... an altercation occurred inside” the Orchard Road residence the night before.
[...]
The case was continued until August by Borlase’s defense attorney Garland Baker. Baker said the next significant step in the process will be for the district attorney’s office to submit a bill or bills of indictment to a grand jury. A true bill of indictment would then move the case into Watauga Superior Court, and an arraignment would take place where there would be a plea of guilty or not guilty entered by Borlase, according to Baker.
[...]
Regardless of the fact that Borlase turns 18 in May, Banks said Borlase is considered an adult in the state of North Carolina. N.C. courts state juveniles who are 16 and 17 years old will still be charged as adults for violent felonies and motor vehicle offenses.
[...]

Next Court Date: 08/06/2019
https://www.nccourts.gov/court-dates
Case Details
Court Date: 08/06/2019

Arraigned Offenses
0930 Felony-MURDER 14-17
0930 Felony-MURDER 14-17

Double homicide case continued pending grand jury
MAY 9, 2019
BOONE — The cases of the murders of a Deep Gap couple was continued after the suspect was represented in District Court by his attorney on May 7.

Tristan Noah Borlase, of Orchard Road, Deep Gap — who was 17 at the time of the alleged crime — was arrested on April 11 and charged with two counts of murder. Court documents state that authorities believed that “... an altercation occurred inside” the Orchard Road residence the night before.
[...]
The case was continued until August by Borlase’s defense attorney Garland Baker. Baker said the next significant step in the process will be for the district attorney’s office to submit a bill or bills of indictment to a grand jury. A true bill of indictment would then move the case into Watauga Superior Court, and an arraignment would take place where there would be a plea of guilty or not guilty entered by Borlase, according to Baker.
[...]
Regardless of the fact that Borlase turns 18 in May, Banks said Borlase is considered an adult in the state of North Carolina. N.C. courts state juveniles who are 16 and 17 years old will still be charged as adults for violent felonies and motor vehicle offenses.
[...]

August? Wow. I am fairly unfamiliar with a grand jury process in that many states it is decided by the DA whether to charge and thought they were more often used when there is question where there is enough to indict and some states rarely use them. It sounds to me as if there is plenty of evidence--or do some states always use a grand jury for every case?

I know of slow wheels of the system but am surprised it will be August before anything proceeds.

Thanks to anyone in advance who can answer these questions. It is unusual to me but it may be based on the state.

August? Wow. I am fairly unfamiliar with a grand jury process in that many states it is decided by the DA whether to charge and thought they were more often used when there is question where there is enough to indict and some states rarely use them. It sounds to me as if there is plenty of evidence--or do some states always use a grand jury for every case?

I know of slow wheels of the system but am surprised it will be August before anything proceeds.

Thanks to anyone in advance who can answer these questions. It is unusual to me but it may be based on the state.
Many states, including my state of FL, require a grand jury indictment for 1st degree murder cases.

In NC, indictment may not be waived in a capital case:
https://www.ncleg.gov/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/BySection/Chapter_15A/GS_15A-642.pdf
§ 15A-642. Prosecutions originating in superior court to be upon indictment or
information; waiver of indictment.
(a) Prosecutions originating in the superior court must be upon pleadings as provided in
Article 49 of this Chapter, Pleadings and Joinder.
(b) Indictment may not be waived in a capital case or in a case in which the defendant
is not represented by counsel.

More NC information:
https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/in-north-carolina-what-is-an-indictment-48832
[...] An indictment is a legal term (derived from the medieval 13th-century French word "enditer") relating to a true bill being issued, based on evidence presented by witnesses, before the District Attorney can prosecute a felony criminal case. [...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff
Back