Found Deceased NC - Joseph, 45, & Cristie Codd, 38, Leicester, 12 March 2015 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think the way charges go they were not home for these B&E and larceny charges. If they were home, the charges would have been listed as robbery. If he had a weapon of some sort and they were home, charges would be armed robbery.

Usual Disclaimers

From the arrest report on 3/16/2015 he is charged with 2 counts of murder in the 1st degree, 1 count of murder of an unborn child, 1 count of B&E and 1 count of Larceny after B&E. All B&E charges are from the 3/15 event when he broke in after the murders and stole the items from them.

It seems like they weren't home, and he already knew why and where they were. :(

My parents live in Rosman, NC and have been there for over 20 years. Their house is in the mountains in a gated community where the smallest parcel of land is 10 acres. It's private property, but many locals still hunt on it because those mountain men grew up hunting there and they are not going to let any transplants tell them where they can or cannot hunt. That's just the way it is!

I have a question about the search warrant, in previous post. I just read the whole thing....

The very first page Cristie's whole name is there and that she is JT's wife, but as you read the rest of the search warrants... she is forever stated as JT's girlfriend......
I'm not well versed in the law, but, does it make a difference if the warrant calls her by her married name and being a wife, and the rest of it calls her by her maiden name and that she is JT's girlfriend?

I hate when things get kicked out due to technicalities. ??

Idk about the law? My interpretation of the sentence "and the wallet of her boyfriend Joseph Codd" was at that point in the investigation when they found his ID and saw his name was Codd that they assumed they were not married? JMO and I really have no idea. I assume legally when they married last fall she took his name of Codd, but professionally she kept her name as she was known-Cristie Schoen.

I noticed that too. They call JT her boyfriend on page 18/51. I was thinking her Dad may have used her maiden name when he called them to check on her. She uses her maiden name on social media as well.

I have a question about the search warrant, in previous post. I just read the whole thing....

The very first page Cristie's whole name is there and that she is JT's wife, but as you read the rest of the search warrants... she is forever stated as JT's girlfriend......
I'm not well versed in the law, but, does it make a difference if the warrant calls her by her married name and being a wife, and the rest of it calls her by her maiden name and that she is JT's girlfriend?

I hate when things get kicked out due to technicalities. ??

911 calls from fire.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/...ipts-ties-codd-murder-case-released/70453830/

Wording confused me...

"We have followed up on what we have in these recordings," Duncan said. "We did feel like the fire was set due to the 911 calls. We're still gathering information and putting it all together right now."

At first I read it as meaning the fire was set because of 911 calls instead of -with the information gathered from the 911 calls, we believe the fires were intentionally set.

911 calls from fire.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/...ipts-ties-codd-murder-case-released/70453830/

Wording confused me...

"We have followed up on what we have in these recordings," Duncan said. "We did feel like the fire was set due to the 911 calls. We're still gathering information and putting it all together right now."

I read it as meaning the fire was set because of 911 calls instead of -with the information gathered from the 911 calls, we believe the fires were intentionally set.

Call 1

Caller: "Ma'am, it's on the Hookers Gap Road on the Leicester side. Where a murder was. People is up Owens Cove Road setting fires."

Dispatcher: "OK, where at on Owens Cove?"

Caller: "You can see it. It's a dead end. It's where the murder site was recently."

Dispatcher: "OK, are they setting fires to the house?"

Caller: "Yes, yes. They got it. They set fire to more than one structure."

Dispatcher: "OK, we're getting them on the way, OK?"

Caller: "OK, hurry."

Call 2

Caller: "I need fire and law enforcement. I've done called for fire. I need law enforcement on Owens Cove Road, off of Hookers Gap Road, on the Leicester side."

Dispatcher: "OK, why do you need law enforcement for?"

Caller: "Somebody is setting fires to everything up here on this mountain. Hurry! They're setting fires."

I think Duncan was just saying that the fires were "set" by someone.........not an accident, lightning or an electrical fire , or something along those lines. He thinks somebody deliberately set them due to the information on the 911 calls. The people that called in were obviously witnessing this as it played out. See calls above.

If it had been my neighborhood, I would've grabbed a shotgun and taken a stroll across the street to confront the arsonist. But I guess that's just me.

I think caller was asking for LE assistance because they were concerned about safely handling a very upsetting situation themselves. :( mvhoo.

That would mean that he killed them after the police were searching for them. Her dad called on the 15th to ask them to do the welfare check. So that doesn't make any sense.

The article says that the newly released warrants (released 3/26/15?) state Owens told LE on March 16th that he killed both Codds. (...I don't think that is intended to imply that he killed them after police started looking for them).

I am just curious to find these newly released warrants since the previously released warrants state that the only Codd he admitted to killing was JT. Any idea how to find the new warrants?

Maybe the confusion is over when the warrant(s) were issued vs executed?
I've been struggling with this very same issue in regard to another (totally unrelated) case in the county.
I agree, better writers needed, lol.

Deputies confirm they are searching for human remains on the scene where a fire burned part of murder suspect Robert Jason Owens' property earlier this month.

Details are limited, but it appears authorities are searching the property on Owens Cove Road. Deputies will not say whose remains they are searching for at the time.

http://www.wlos.com/news/features/t...er-suspects-property-20321.shtml#.VRmxlfzF_TV

Updated:

Deputies will not say whose remains they are searching for during this particular search.

"[It's] a manual, grid-type search, with humans actually sifting through the dirt, that kind of stuff, so it can be a fairly intensive process," Buncombe County Lt. Randy Sorrells said.

Kimberly King ‏@KimKingReports 3m3 minutes ago Asheville, NC
@WLOS_13 Detectives back out at Jason Owens property. Local DA talks about the trend of death penalty trials in NC. At 6.

Will Jason Owens Face Death: Local DA Weighs In

While Buncombe County District Attorney Todd Williams isn't allowed to publicly discuss the case, Henderson County District Attorney Greg Newman believes the Owens case does have factors that would qualify for a death sentence case.

"If it's proven he dismembered individuals and destroyed their bodies by burning them and so forth," Newman said. "Then the heinous nature of the crimes can certainly be considered. The number of individuals murdered can also be considered."

But Newman also said he and other district attorneys know the national sentiment against death sentences is significant and reflected in prosecutions.

"We're seeing fewer and fewer death penalty trials in North Carolina," Newman said. "I believe if we could chart it we would see a decline in the number of cases where it's being sought statewide."

Newman said North Carolina court rules do allow for a prosecutor to take their time in deciding if they will pursue the death penalty in a capital murder case.

http://www.wlos.com/news/features/t...h-local-da-weighs-in-20325.shtml#.VRng1_zF_TV

A team of cadaver dogs and students from a criminal justice class at Western Carolina University were combing the property of murder suspect Robert Jason Owens Monday evening after new search warrants in the case were filed, the authorities said.

Investigators conducted a "grid search" on the 1.4-acre Owens Cove Road property they had searched at least two times before for "anything that could be of evidentiary value," Buncombe County Sheriff Van Duncan said to members of the media on the scene as darkness fell.

Duncan could not confirm if the human remains being sought were believed to be those of the Codds or of Zebb Quinn. Owens was a prime suspect in the disappearance of the Asheville teenager 15 years ago, but was never charged in that case.

"We can't speak to the scope of what was uncovered," Duncan said. Later, he described what was uncovered as "helpful," but declined to be more specific.

"We do think we've made progress today," he said.

The search was to resume in the morning and authorities were not planning to continue any searching with lights Monday evening, Duncan said.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/...ains-at-robert-jason-owens-property/70691738/

Shout out again to the BCSO, and all of those who responded to their requests. Thank you for all of your hard work.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanamburga
Back