Found Deceased NC - Joseph, 45, & Cristie Codd, 38, Leicester, 12 March 2015 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I also mentioned yesterday that there had been some cleaning house on Facebook.

I also mentioned yesterday that there had been some cleaning house on Facebook.

Saw that post, I wasn't sure if it was someone connected or if LE would capture and delete. I'd find it hard to believe LE wouldn't have screen grabs of his facebook.

I'm sure I can find it online but if someone wants to transcribe the press release today or record it and post...I would love you because I can't watch it live.

News 13 will be covering the event and plan to live stream the conference on our website, www.wlos.com.

Starts at 2 pm. No word on if they will discuss the overnight fire.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/...ter-home-near-murder-suspects-house/25069853/

Snipped from link
The double-wide mobile home is about 50 yards from the home of Robert Jason Owens, who was charged Tuesday with killing Joseph Codd and his wife, Cristie Codd.
The structure was UNOCCUPIED according to Chris Brown, Leicester Fire Department chief. The home was completely destroyed.

Hmm location of the actual murder? I wonder?

His family has gone silent or disappeared from FB.

Perhaps it was someone (unrelated but criminal nonetheless) that panicked about the sudden LE presence in the neighbourhood?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm checking property records and see the confusion. He may own 1 and 8 but I'd await confirmation. Anyone interested in looking it up can start here. Parcel 7159

http://www.buncombecounty.org/Governing/Depts/GIS/Disclaimer_ParcelLookup.aspx

Looks to me like one property, 2 addresses. IMO

One property, two addresses, three structures?! I'm not sure how to read that parcel map. There are three dots indicated on the parcel. Confusing!

Does anyone know the address of the Codds? I understand they were neighbors with JO but, now looking at the map, I was wondering how close they actually were.

ETA: I found their house on the map. Never mind!

I hope the SO is able to provide some clarification on all of these questions at todays press release.

Want to reiterate a shout out to all of the LEA's working this case/cases. Thank you. Ya'll do some excellent work in WNC.

Sounds like some hot head decided to burn the perp's house down out of anger, and he picked the wrong place.

Reading some of the Facebook posts, quite a few of the commenters can barely spell or write complete sentences,
so being misinformed about which house he lived in seems right on par.

Sounds like some hot head decided to burn the perp's house down out of anger, and he picked the wrong place.

Reading some of the Facebook posts, quite a few of the commenters can barely spell or write complete sentences,
so being misinformed about which house he lived in seems right on par.

Just read this thread from the beginning today :( Such senseless brutality. I had the same thought about someone torching his house and picked the wrong one. OR, someone who knew what he did and worried they might be implicated by found evidence?

I’m a new member here but have been following this thread (and the one about Zebb Quinn) for a few days now… I live in Asheville NC, one of many transplants to this area. I’ve been doing some digging of my own, much of which is in line w/ what has already been posted here. Here is some additional info not already in this thread at the time of my request to join the forum:

Re: the fire early A.M. at 8 Owens Cove Rd on 3/20/15:

At this news link http://www.wspa.com/story/28569653/leicester-house-fire-on-same-road-as-murder-suspects-home a neighbor is quoted as saying: “7 On Your Side spoke to neighbor who told us that Owens grew up at this home and property tax records show that he owns the house. Neighbors say he lived in another house on the property and no one was living in the house that burned.” The 8 Owens Cove property is right across the street from 1 Owens Cove, the residence of the alleged. Another news report states it is the home of his mother, which would make sense seeing as how he grew up in the house, yet property records do list JO as the current owner.

If it was arson, I think it makes more sense that an accomplice or un-implicated but worried relative torched the house than the theory that it was someone directing anger at Jason Owens by thinking they were burning down his house. After all, doesn’t an accomplice or relative have more incentive to destroy possible evidence than a person angry about the Codd’s deaths? Someone angry about the Codd’s deaths would definitely want any evidence to be found and investigated, right? So it would be incredibly stupid for such a person to destroy possible evidence.

Here is a map that shows proximity of the Codd’s home (87 Hooker Gap Rd) to the properties owned by Jason Owens on Owens Cove Rd: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/87+Hookers+Gap+Rd,+Leicester,+NC+28748/1+Owens+Cove+Rd,+Leicester,+NC+28748/8+Owens+Cove+Rd,+Leicester,+NC+28748/@35.5990523,-82.7298451,1831m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x88598f59ae464d63:0xa1f52499d00af663!2m2!1d-82.731561!2d35.595869!1m5!1m1!1s0x88598f4edb05d431:0xb225515219cc73c4!2m2!1d-82.719404!2d35.600523!1m5!1m1!1s0x88598f4ed1bf4edd:0xfec78c0a74eb8e9d!2m2!1d-82.7189023!2d35.6005578!3e0

In a Facebook comment thread, someone mentioned that Robert Jason Owens owes property taxes on the property at 8 Owens Cove Rd. I looked up the delinquent property tax record for Buncombe County, NC at: https://www.buncombecounty.org/Governing/Depts/Tax/PropTaxCollection_liens.aspx and see that Jason Owens owes $405.95 in delinquent property taxes on that property as of Jan 6, 2015. The page also states that “If the taxes remain unpaid, the Buncombe County Tax Department may foreclose on the tax lien to satisfy all claims on unpaid taxes.”

Part of my personal theory as to a possible motive: First, JO already seems pretty disturbed; we can gather that from his role as suspect in Zebb Quinn disappearance and gossip of possible other victims. And in light of Jason Owens having been hired to also do work at a foreclosed [Newfound Rd] property co-purchased by JT Owens and his realtor (the one that sold the Codds their home) http://www.wlos.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/friend-slain-couple-says-texts-could-provide-insight-20149.shtml – and the rarely discussed in polite company anti-gentrification / conservative sentiment of long-standing residents of the Asheville NC area, Jason Owens may have bristled at the possibility that the property where he grew up, right across the street from his current residence, could be foreclosed on and also be purchased by a newcomer to the area – another in a long line of [what is perceived by many living back in the hills of Western NC] as the liberal invasion. This “liberal takeover” notion seems to be quite common in my perusal of the postings (that pre-date this case) by Facebook friends of the Owens family… This anti-liberal sentiment is no secret around here, and it is worth mentioning that the Owens family has obviously been in this area for a long time to have had a road named after them (“Owens Cove Rd”) and other Owens relatives live on Hookers Gap Rd. I would imagine it would be considered a slight to the longstanding roots of this area for “liberals” to keep moving in and slowly buying up properties and turning them into progressive, green agri-tourism destinations. Since I have relocated to Asheville NC, I have witnessed repeated social media backlash by longstanding residents against the many “Top 10” and “Best in the U.S.” lists that Asheville frequently finds itself on which attract even more newcomers b/c of the inevitable change it brings.

Social media developments:

I see from Facebook that Cristie Schoen has been deleted from the friends list of Jason Owens… This means someone NOT in jail has current access to Jason Owens’s Facebook (possibly his wife?) and I surmise someone not in jail set fire to that 8 Owens Cove home (investigation is in progress to determine if it was an arson). Could this offer some explanation toward a possible accomplice, not only in this Cristie and JT Codd case, but also the Zebb Quinn case (as someone had to have sent the page from Zebb Quinn’s aunt’s house while she was away at dinner)? If it WAS an arson, and it occurred while Jason Owens is in jail, could this be what keep LE from successfully prosecuting JO? After all, JO could not be charged w/ the murder of Zebb Quinn b/c of the page that was sent from a location he could not have possibly been at based on video confirmation of his presence at a gas station w/ Zebb Quinn within that timeframe. LE has long suspected JO had an accomplice.

Also, one of the Owens relatives (a nephew or second cousin referred to in earlier posts here as “EO”) has deactivated his Facebook account. He had previously referred to his uncle/cousin in one of his posts as “a monster”… I would hate to be him if JO is ultimately released from jail.

Purely unsubstantiated scuttlebutt / gossip info:

I’ve gathered from many of the comments on the WLOS Facebook postings https://www.facebook.com/News13 that the Owens brothers (Robert Jason Owens has a brother whose name begins with an “S”) were considered by those who grew up w/ them to be “psychos” yet “very clever” and that the brother was regularly bullied and beaten up in school, and that it would ‘not be surprising to think that he hates people just as much as his brother’ Jason Owens. Incidentally, the brother’s name is also listed as an owner of the 8 Owens Cove property that burned this A.M., as shared by one of the Facebook commenters: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206382526591252&set=p.10206382526591252&type=1&theater

There are other mentions in social media of possible other victims, but I am not sure if it is appropriate to post a list of those speculations here.

Per the press conference: Bodies (human remains) were recovered from the woodstove. They won't say where the woodstove was located (in his house or the house that burned) JO's wife when interviewed said he admitted to killing them and that he ran JT down with a vehicle. He admitted in his interview that he tried to hide the bodies and destroy them. They would not say whether he admitted to the killings or not. They are still collecting and documenting evidence and won't go into details on the investigation. An email to the investigators, led them to interview JO.

I did miss the first part of the conference - had trouble getting a connection. They also said that JO was seen at a dumpster dumping things and that Cristie's ID card was found in that dumpster.

Holy crap he ran JT over with s car! Both his and Zebb's car had accident damage and JO went to ER for his injuries!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413
Back