Found Deceased NC - Joseph, 45, & Cristie Codd, 38, Leicester, 12 March 2015 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Finally watched the news conference tonight and the answer to my question "what about Cristie?" Was answered in my mind, He has only confessed to JT's killing, otherwise he has only admitted to storing and disposing and the BE he hasn't admired or shared how Cristie died at least at press time. And until Wake Forest confirms it they can't even say for sure that Cristie is dead (no physical proof). Not that I even remotely think that is a possibility. But it explains her absence from the report but no one asked about the phone with her mom. [emoji30]

It really doesn't make any difference why he did it.

This is one of those crimes that just shocks the senses.

Owens is the human equivalent of a rabid dog, and he needs to be put down like one, post haste.

It really doesn't make any difference why he did it.

This is one of those crimes that just shocks the senses.

Owens is the human equivalent of a rabid dog, and he needs to be put down like one, post haste.

I agree. His victims deserve it.

Hey, ya'll.... there's a lot of 'local info/knowledge' being claimed in this case(s). It's becoming high profile, and with zebb's case being potentially involved as well, would anyone/everyone mind asking to be verified as either a local/insider or professional? Not a mod, but am going to ask one about this. Verified local input is so valuable!

Hey, ya'll.... there's a lot of 'local info/knowledge' being claimed in this case(s). It's becoming high profile, and with zebb's case being potentially involved as well, would anyone/everyone mind asking to be verified as either a local/insider or professional? Not a mod, but am going to ask one about this. Verified local input is so valuable!

I've been local to Asheville since 2010. Local to the Carolinas all my life. What sort of verification are you suggesting?

Found this story that gives some insight

But in police records and court convictions, a portrait of a different sort emerges. Before being charged with murder in the grisly slayings of Joseph "J.T." Codd and his pregnant wife, Cristie, Owens had frequent run-ins with law enforcement.

This Owens sped away from police cruisers, sometimes at speeds of more than 100 miles per hour, with officers noting that he fled because he was driving while intoxicated or on a revoked license. He has other convictions for distributing prescription drugs and possessing stolen items. Court records show financial stress that forced him to declare bankruptcy.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/...r-suspect-troubled-criminal-history/25156429/

I'm local since 2009ish but really don't have much to add but verify me if you like. Yeah, maybe I better.

Hi, everyone. WS does not verify "locals", that meaning residents of an area with no first hand knowledge of a crime, nor a personal relationship to a party in a case.

If you live in the area, you are allowed to post general information and observations relative to the location without being verified. Not rumors and gossip, mind you. ;)

Found this story that gives some insight

But in police records and court convictions, a portrait of a different sort emerges. Before being charged with murder in the grisly slayings of Joseph "J.T." Codd and his pregnant wife, Cristie, Owens had frequent run-ins with law enforcement.

This Owens sped away from police cruisers, sometimes at speeds of more than 100 miles per hour, with officers noting that he fled because he was driving while intoxicated or on a revoked license. He has other convictions for distributing prescription drugs and possessing stolen items. Court records show financial stress that forced him to declare bankruptcy.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/...r-suspect-troubled-criminal-history/25156429/

I'm local since 2009ish but really don't have much to add but verify me if you like. Yeah, maybe I better.

Thanks, Peliman, for posting this. When I was trying to figure out the Codds' address yesterday, I ran across this information, too. Life sure is a tangled web.

Just was wanting to clarify WSs verification process. Thank you, bessie. :)
Meant nothing beyond that.

A complicated situation for sure, involving so much sadness all around. We, too, call WNC *home*.

Do we have the ATF/arson report up here yet? or maybe some crime stats?

Except for a temporary lapse in judgement from 2001-2013 I am a born and bred WNC girl. I've lived in various places during that time-one of which was Asheville and I'm in Asheville practically everyday these days.

WNC is certainly a wonderful place to live. Hello and welcome to WS's, neighbor!
Under some very sad circumstances. :(

WNC is certainly a wonderful place to live. Hello and welcome to WS's, neighbor!
Under some very sad circumstances. :(

We are blessed with great neighbors, good to see you again Oriah. :)

Hey Peliman! Wonderful to see you. :)

O/T but one of the first things I thought of when I was informed of the possible Codd's murders, was Shaniya. Her flowers, her love of babies, and that she maybe has a new friend in heaven, a direct to heaven baby.

O/T again, but I have such immense respect and admiration for the Quinn family.

This entire situation, imvho, has been handled with amazing sensitivity and respect by these families and friends; and by LE.

Thoughts and prayers for the innocent victims of these senseless crimes everywhere. :(

Arraigned Offenses for Case Number:
OWENS,ROBERT,JASON
County: BUNCOMBE
Court Date:04/07/2015
Court Room:003B

Felony BREAKING AND OR ENTERING (F)
Felony LARCENY AFTER BREAK/ENTER
Felony FIRST DEGREE MURDER​
Felony FIRST DEGREE MURDER​
Felony MURDER OF AN UNBORN CHILD​

http://www1.aoc.state.nc.us/www/calendars/CriminalQuery.html

Select: District and Superior Court Query
Select Both
Defendant: Owens,r (no spaces)

Defendants name is Robert Jason Owens as another person with the name being used has been mistaken for this defendant.

Hope that helps keep up with the happenings. I didn't realize he also had B&E charges, were they added?

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if there were additional charges brought forward and/or if the docket changes between now and then.
Maybe we should keep checking (and with other jurisdictions?) I hate to even think about that.

I wonder if this could as "simple" as he thought the Codds were out of town, broke in their house -- and they surprised him by being there or by returning and catching him...? Then he killed them and "cleaned up" from that and RETURNED to finish his burglary?

I wonder if this could as "simple" as he thought the Codds were out of town, broke in their house -- and they surprised him by being there or by returning and catching him...? Then he killed them and "cleaned up" from that and RETURNED to finish his burglary?

That wouldn't match the manner in which he killed JT. He states he ran him over with JT's truck on Hooker's Gap road. Whether he means the Codd's driveway (as it is somewhat long) or he was actually on Hookers Gap, I am unsure. JMO.

I think the way charges go they were not home for these B&E and larceny charges. If they were home, the charges would have been listed as robbery. If he had a weapon of some sort and they were home, charges would be armed robbery.

Usual Disclaimers

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainsilversquirrel
Back