NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, reported Missing Dec 2022 three Weeks After Last Seen, Cornelius, *Parents Arrested* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Madalina Cojocari's parents have been grilled by cops who urge the public to ‘flood the area with her face’ in a desperate search
The couple reportedly had a fire in their backyard the night after Madalina disappeared, and her stepfather went on a road trip to see family in Michigan the next day.

Both remain in custody with bail set at hundreds of thousands of dollars after they were charged with failing to report a missing child.

1676839762308.jpeg
Most people who don’t have a significant criminal record in Mecklenburg County who are charged with a class I felony, they're in and out of that jail in usually less than 48 hours,” he said. “Yet they have a very high bond that clearly they can’t make so they’re just sitting in jail.”

State data shows that Caylee’s law has been used about a dozen times in North Carolina over the last decade. There was only one other case in Mecklenburg County. It was dismissed in the 2014-15 fiscal year.

“That one caught the attention of the world really and it certainly caught the attention of people in my district. I got a lot of calls from people outraged and asking what would be the case if that happened in North Carolina,” Representative Kelly Hastings recalled.

The Gaston and Cleveland County representative introduced the law after learning there was a previous loophole, which did not stipulate a required time-frame for a parent to report a child missing.

Advocates for missing children say in the early stages of a case, every minute counts.

“Legislation like that is very important. Historically families were under the impression there was a time frame, a waiting period to report a child missing and that is not the case. The minute a child is not where they’re supposed to be, law enforcement should be called,” John Bischoff with the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, said.

Both Cojocari and Palmiter will appear in superior court on March 2.

I feel like I may be very naive, but it's hard to imagine that LE has no information or leads, or that the two haven't shared info.

I still have a hope in my heart, as a mama, that she is tucked away safe somwhere, but i know it is surely not the case. Imho, there is a look in her eyes in each picture that is somewhat detached from her smile and childlike face. I really hope she didnt suffer throughout the life she led, moving countries, learning a new language, away from her family. What we do to children in this world is unbelievable, but it does help me to read their stories to know they are not invisible.

It’s been three months since the last time an 11-year-old Cornelius girl was seen in public.

“It’s truly been a long three months for all the people in our town,” said Cornelius Mayor Woody Washam. “I want to find Madalina alive and that’s my hopes and prayers.”

Channel 9 asked Washam if we will have the opportunity to speak with the police department about the case since it has been three months.

“I’m sure you will at some point,” the mayor said. “It is an active investigation, and the most important part of this active investigation, as any investigation, is that we get a good resolution to it. And we finally can know what happened to Madalina.”

Washam didn’t go into details, but he said the police chief gives him weekly updates.

“I think we’re up to 400 to 500 leads, and every single one of those leads has been followed up on, been investigated and we just haven’t gotten that right one yet to lead us to where we need to go with this investigation,” Washam said.

MECKLENBURG COUNTY, N.C. — The community is still desperate for answers three months since 11-year-old Madalina Cojocari was last seen publicly. That was on Nov. 21, when she was seen on video getting off her school bus.

Law enforcement officials have been very tight-lipped on this case, and most of the information has come through the courts. Both Diana Cojocari and Christopher Palmiter have scheduled court dates for next week, on March 2.

Both are on the docket for what’s known as homicide day, even though neither are charged with homicide.

Officials with the Mecklenburg County District Attorney’s office released the following statement to WCNC Charlotte:

“This case is on a homicide docket because it was assigned to a senior prosecutor, who is on our Homicide Team, when the defendants were initially charged. (One clarification: The March 2 court date is not a first appearance. It is a first setting, which is a procedural, administrative court date.)

We assign cases to our prosecution teams based on the range of possibilities to which evidence may lead. Nevertheless, no conclusions should be drawn from this assignment as to a change in the status of the evidence in this case.”

In an interview with Cornelius Today, Police Chief David Baucom said he is not aware the investigation stretches to Michigan, even though Palmiter told police he was there visiting family in that three-week time period. The FBI field office in Michigan previously confirmed to WCNC Charlotte they were assisting in the investigation.

Baucom also said there were no prior calls for domestic violence at their home.

“While you may not be hearing a ton from law enforcement, I can guarantee they’re working tooth and nail behind the scenes to make sure this girl is found,” Callahan said. “The public should stay vigilant, they shouldn’t give up hope.”

More at link

The community remains desperate for any answers regarding her disappearance.

“It’s terrible,” said Mooresville resident Michael Depina-Loeb. “It’s something that should not happen, and it’s disgusting.”

Madalina was last seen getting off a school bus near her Cornelius home on Nov. 21, 2022. That incident was caught on camera:

“This is a serious case of a child whose parents clearly are not telling us everything they know,” said Capt. Jennifer Thompson with the Cornelius Police Department.

Has anything else been said by any family members or relatives? Is there a gag order?
JMO
I have said this before, but I (optimistically) feel the parents are keeping quiet for a reason, one that does not involve them disappearing MC. This is the best-case scenario, but I have had this feeling from the start.
I think they had money troubles, and one of the parents got an under-the-table 'loan' or something similar. Gambling debt?
This would account for DC saying she thought CP had put their family in danger and explain why she was hesitant to call the police; maybe she was afraid if she went to the police, it could put MC in more danger, which is why they continue to say nothing.
The families have been quiet too, which is perplexing.

Mother of missing Cornelius girl believed husband ‘put her family in danger,’ court documents say - WBTV

'A detective wrote that when he questioned Diana Cojocari, she said she “believed her husband put her family in danger” and maintained she didn’t know what happened to Madalina. She also allegedly said family in Moldova told her to call the police but she still hesitated'.

This is obviously a best-case scenario, and I know there are faults in the logic, but as more time passes, they continue to stay silent. It makes me wonder that if they did disappear MC, they would have given up something by now; being silent will not make the future much brighter for them, so it just doesn't make sense to keep quiet unless it does (to them).

1677230823685.jpeg
The Law enforcement officers do not provide much information about this case, and most news is coming through the courts. Now her parents, Diana Cojocari and Christopher Palmiter are scheduled for the next court hearing on March 2.

Still, none of them was charged with homicide. The Mecklenburg County District Attorney’s office released a statement about the case:

“This case is on a homicide docket because it was assigned to a senior prosecutor on our Homicide Team when the defendants were initially charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff