Found Deceased NC - Maddox Ritch, 6 w/Autism, Gastonia, 22 Sept 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone with knowledge please confirm the path that they were walking on. Was it the path immediately on the lake that can be seen and out in the open or more of a dirt path surrounded by trees? Pic would be a bonus.

Link please as to the father's condition.
"A jogger passed by and as he was jogging past us. That's when Maddox started to jog out behind him," Ritch said. "We got so far, he took off from me, running ... and I just never could catch up with him."

"He can run, he can run," Ritch added. "I couldn't keep up with him. Not that fast."

Ritch later said that neuropathy in his feet caused by diabetes makes it difficult for him to run.

"It's been torture": Father of missing 6-year-old boy with autism says son took off running

There was footage of the live videos when he was found. A news anchor had his camera on fb live and the reactions of the men finding him looked like they were shocked/ terrified by what they saw. I remember telling my husband I thought that reaction stood out because they were trained and prepared to find his body.
( not to take away from having to be the person to discover a childs body; the reactions just made me concerned.
:cryingsosad:

I’d much rather see a kid in a backpack harness than see that he drowned in a creek. I *know* little legs are fast. Kids are way faster than me. Which is why this dad was playing with fire when letting him run ahead all the time.

Always had my children on reins,saved myself a lot of heartache, and got our dog an extending lead so I got peace of mind..

Link please as to the father's condition.

We only have the dad's word for this condition.
As well as the two or more lie detector tests he said he took. Maybe he did take them. But why ? This was an accident.
So he shouldn't have had to take any.

Did LE ask him to take one ?
And if so... why haven't they said this ?

And just dad's word regarding the circumstances in which Maddox ran from sight in the park.
What was the 'mystery' woman doing ? What did she see ? Did she help and try to run after him ?

Aside from that...as of today -- the Gastonia PD STILL are asking people to come forward !
I'm wondering what they're looking for ?

We have only a few people's word that Maddox was in that park.
Sometime kids can look a bit alike.

Security camera proof would be more accurate.
So far I've not been able to find if there WERE sec. cams , and whether there's any footage.

Last edited:
None of this situation sounds fishy or hard to understand the hows, when why. However I’m also the mother of a child with nonverbal autism. Non verbal means she can’t communicate with words but she certainly communicates. Also Being non verbal doesn’t mean you can’t hear and understand everything being said. My child is no more of a “burden” then my other 3 children have been at different stages of life. With all that being said. I honestly could not catch my daughter if she took off running. I’d never call out to her either that would just thrill her ( when she was tbat age) and she would go faster and farther. I wouldn’t even want her to know I was chasing after her if possible same reasons. I also can not catch my grandson when he takes off either. He’s 3 and nt. Kids run faster then people realize.

My daughter at age 6 was on the school playground with 4 adults and 6 kids. She was swinging. 3 minutes later the adults started walking the kids inside doing the normal head count they realized they only had 5 kids not 6. Mine was gone , the area around the playground is open nothing obstructing view. They knew she was JUST there they saw her swinging and mostly heard her. There’s also fencing around the playground they couldn’t visably see her outside. With so little time passing since they saw her the assumption was she went inside the school when a older group did that had been returning from a walking field trip just a minute prior. So they didn’t panic but notified the teacher who started a search inside the school. They locked the school down and over the intercom they asked all teachers to search their rooms. Nothing she seemed to of vanished. However a older child when hearing this on the intercoms told her teacher that she had saw a little girl about 15 mins prior running by the big ditch and main road that is near the school . It’s however the length of a football field and a gate to get around from where my daughter was last seen. But they reported it and after talking with the child a min my Daughters teacher knew it WAS my kid she had seen. She matched her clothing , size , pig tails etc. So then they panicked and realized she wasn’t safe somewhere in the school but was outside. The teacher just started running towards that area not finding her. So much time had passed. However while running by the busy street she thought she heard my kid being her typically normal loud self. She was running to the little walkway that allows you to get past the big ditch to the busy street as she was doing that she happened to glance down into the ditch which is 8 to 12 feet deep depending on what side your on.

She then saw my daughters pigtails right above the water line of this ditch. It had 4 ft of standing water in it. My kid was almost to her chin in the water which was filled with the unimaginables of slime and yuck. But She was splashing like it was nothing. The teacher had a hard time finding a place to crawl down into it she finally just jumped down reaches her and had help lifting her out . There was so much wrong with the story. I should of been called first. They should of looked outside always look outside and in bodies of water FIRST. Never underestimate how fast they can get away so fast no one out side noticed her. They couldn’t figure out how she got around the fencing until a few days later when they were outside again and watched my daughter she would look to see if they were looking , her eyes would glance at a certain area of the fence and she kept repeating this. She was waiting for the moment no one was paying attention then she already had her plan. That’s how my kid worked , anyone they started looking in the area they saw my daughter looking found there was a small gap in the fencing that they couldn’t see unless right upon it. The district had a brand new fence put around just the playground up closer.

Several new rules some at my insistence were put in place after that day also. My kid knew somehow there was water down there and who knows how long she’d been planning this.

I knew it could happen. It had happened under my watch but not to this extent because I was aware that she can be stubborn and pokey one minute and then run a Marathon in the spur of the moment. But no one really “got it” until well it happened and they did. Maddox could of easily been my kid back when she was 6. I could of or my husband or our entire family could be in the shoes of that dad. I’ve lived the life I’m somewhat of a helicopter parent house is locked like Fort Knox yet my child did escape all my safety guards at home. She got out of the house was gone she out smarted the locks and chains and was gone. If she could get out of the house and get lost at school. You better believe a park or any public place was more subsebtable . She could be gone so quick like lightening that no one would of even noticed her. We didn’t go out often but with 3 other kids we couldn’t all stay locked up in a house either. I thought it could never happen to me. Fact is it DID , it can happen to any of us . You just don’t even realize it until your in the situation.

Thank you for writing this post,I appreciate it,brilliant post x

I wonder how much the dad actually had his son or how often he took him out? Is it possible he just didn't have the concern because he wasn't with him a lot out in public? I know as the mom I was with my kids a lot more when they were little so I had different instincts or reactions when things happened because I knew how they reacted daily in those same situations. I was always worried around water or when I couldn't see them. My husband is much more calm and not because he doesn't care just as much, but I think I just worried way more about every what if that could happen. In the case of a child with special needs, I think this is even more possible that the mom maybe has primary physical custody (I don't know for sure just assuming) and if dad only has him part of the time maybe he just wasn't as aware or prepared for him running off or the fact he may not come right back to stay close? It could explain why maybe he wasn't super alarmed right away. I try to find the reasons why in cases like this because I do think often we all do things that aren't the best, but we never think anything bad will happen to our kids nor have that intention when doing what we do. It's unfortunate in this case that whatever was going on did lead to this little boy's death and that dad has to live with that. :(

Your a wonderful Mum..x

Maybe someone knows this off hand to confirm?
Time they arrived at park? 12:45p rings a bell? I can't find this.
Time he lost sight of Maddox, around 1:30p
Time park employee called 911, 2:33p
My question is if they arrived at 12:45 does the area he lost sight of him 45 minutes later make sense time wise? How long would it have taken to get to the point of loss?
Just wondering if timeline makes sense?

Right. It’s not exactly uncommon, and is well known that this is a huge risk. That is why it’s weird that this dad apparently let his son run loose (around water!!), in an unfamiliar park, knowing he was physically unable to keep up. All the other times he did this, he got lucky.
So sad God bless you Maddox x

My question is if they arrived at 12:45 does the area he lost sight of him 45 minutes later make sense time wise? How long would it have taken to get to the point of loss?

Good post.
I've no idea when they arrived at the park.
But if they lost sight of Maddox, and looked for an hour before the park employee called 911 --- then 12:30 --12:45-ish sounds right.

I had odd looks as well but his safety was paramount. My daughter didn’t run but, given any chance my son would break loose of my hand & would run straight into the traffic.
In a park environment I would’ve had him on a long retractable dog lead. He was a horror!

I can relate to you,my two daughters never ran off (still used reins on both for my peace of mind),but my son would run off every chance he got,had a lot of mishaps with him and grey hair at a young age,so reins with him were priority and also used as a safety feature precaution in his buggy or high chair...

Hes a tiny boy so anything is possible.
I'm praying that's all it was.

As for the comments about Rick, the park employee... I know him personally and i can tell you he is a wreck over this. His interview was pieced together to appear that all he did was trash dad. They asked him questions and posted parts of the answers.

He doesnt know what happened but the events that unfolded caught him off guard, the dad not wanting him to call 911 etc, the way things played out later.... Just think about how quickly the fbi came in and how this whole thing has appeared to be a recovery mission...This has all affected him as well and he was just working when pulled into this.
Perhaps the fbi are not looking for people to come forward to verify Maddox was at the park but to get an idea about them and what they saw there?

He trusted his gut instinct,he shouldn't blame himself,all he did was try to help

Thank you, I've actually been a WebSleuths member for 6 years now (since 2012) I just haven't been very active up until this point. To be honest I completely forgot it existed due to life leading me on my adventures. As far as trying to discern the facts & "websleuth" what happened to little Maddox, unfortunately at this point no matter what we all say it will be conjecture & speculation. The local Police & the FBI are keeping all the details very close to the vest and haven't released any details as of yet. The autopsy was supposed to be completed yesterday from what I understand but nothing has been released yet. You can take that as "they have something juicy they don't wanna release yet" or "they didn't find anything and have no new news yet". As I said before, at this point there's no reason to think the father had anything to do with it. It is WELL documented that Autistic children are fearless & pretty fast runners, AND they are extremely attracted to the water and run right into it without thinking. We just won't know anything until more details are revealed. This will be a very difficult case to try and piece together details until a little more is known.

Thankful to you guys for all the hard work you do,each and every one of you are heroes....Earth Angels with your wings on the inside.x

Can someone with knowledge please confirm the path that they were walking on. Was it the path immediately on the lake that can be seen and out in the open or more of a dirt path surrounded by trees? Pic would be a bonus.
It was the path immediately on the lake. When standing on trail, one side is water, other is woods...with exception of front which would be grass, shelter, boat rentals, pier and parking lot

Autism and Asperger's syndrome is on the same spectrum, Asperger's usually refers to a person who is higher functioning, but not necessarily able to function as fully as a person who does not have the syndrome.

It can be confusing. And honestly, the diagnosis is quite political these days. Parents prefer to have a diagnosis of "Autism" rather than "mental retardation" or "developmentally disabled". There are specific behavioral indicators for Autism.
I might have this wrong but...

One of the hallmark diagnosis criteria between autism and aspergers is speech delay. With aspergers there is no delay in speech.

It used to be that something like 75% of kids with autism were also dx with mental retardation. But those numbers were based on testing that used verbal parameters, and once the testing changed that they figured out that those with autism were not mentally retarded at all. On the contrary, there is often a higher IQ.

Parents tend to prefer a diagnosis of autism over aspergers because you can get state services such as OT, speech, physical therapy and habilatation with autism, but not aspergers. At least, that's how it was 13 years ago.

I have one of each (plus a typical) and the difference is huge as far as functioning goes.

I have to say,this is what concerns me. :(
IMO I think the father thought he could keep up. I'm pretty sure the father said this was typical behavior for Maddox, run ahead a little and then would wait for his father. I'm sure this happened dozens if not hundreds of times with nothing ever going wrong. We (parents) never think something like this could happen to our child. I don't think the father had anything to do with this and my heart breaks for him. He will never forgive himself.

12:45 is correct according to the Ian Ritch interview at around 0:30 in the video.

They are still asking people to come forward?

I believe that some folks may not be local and may not even know this is going on. As I mentioned before, my hubby and I were at three different walking trails near water in New York recently, and if it wasn't for here, I wouldn't know that someone went missing at any of those places, seeing that we're from out of state and not local. Yet I can't believe that everyone who was at that park hasn't called. Where did their 150 or so leads come from then? Someone had to have called them in, right? Who are they looking for- is it one specific person they want to talk to, or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ANicholls16