Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #9 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that anyone cares, but I'm going to stay away from this thread until there is an arrest of KW or anyone else that caused the demise of this beautiful child. IMO, all the CPS talk and personal experiences aren't getting us anywhere. I understand talk strays when threads go cold, but I won't sift through pages of posts that have no relevance to this case.

Later.

I hear you but talking about how the system works helps ppl understand it is not a quick fix and there is a long process on how a case moves forward in a juvenile court

Can you give me the specific law code on that?

675.583 OR That is from my state. NC's might be different. If it is still an active investigation, meaning the case is still open then this is the code we have used

It has nothing to do with it. Sorry about the confusion. Just trying to see something positive come out of this nightmare.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

I think it does have something to do with her death. If we had good programs about abuse it could inspire a child like one of Mariah's brothers to come forward and report the abuse. It could save a life.

There are such programs and they do work. Not every child will tell but some will: https://www.childwelfare.gov/topics/preventing/prevention-programs/schoolbased/

Thank you for trying to find a real solution.

I haven't had my coffee yet so maybe I am just not firing on all cylinders, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Where is the link substantiating the allegation that KW has somehow violated a no contact order with the children in CPS care?

2) Where is the link substantiating the allegation that KW had a relationship or friendship with a CPS social worker which may have affected the custody dispute between AW and KW?

I see post after post debating these two items but no links to anything that supports speculation on either. Speculation should be based on the KNOWN facts of the case.

Fast and loose speculation not supported in the known facts is what leads rumor or unfounded speculation to grow legs and become fact after just a few pages.
I need some links or I have some cleanup to do in here.

I agree. If KW did have a personal friendship with the CPS social worker (as the 2016 CPS documents released by AW seem to indicate) prior to their professional client/case manager relationship unfortunately AW did not stand a chance. If that was indeed the case, the investigation was biased and unfair IMO. Maybe AW was trying to bring the issue to light.

I need to see the doc this is referring to: Screenshot is acceptable along with link to the source of SS. This thread is closed while I try to sweep up the rumors that have begun to morph into fact.

If there is support for the speculation about KW and personal relationship with CPS investigator someone pm me pronto with this so I can allow that conversation to continue.

okay peeps, thanks for your patience and to the member who sent me a link to the source of the item #2 debate. I am linking it in this post and then back to cleanup I go.

JMO take on the AW notes to the court and the allegation that the social worker and KW had a personal friendship: That is NOT how I read the document. I believe the document states that an older son of KW and AW was abused by the child of someone who KW is friends with and AW alleges in his notes that KW failed to act properly in supervising the child around other children as required for their safety. As a result of AW's concerns about that lack of supervision AW informed the social worker.

I have redacted the child in question's name.

attachment.php

That is my take on the notes. NOT that KW was friends with social worker

Attachments

• Alex woods notes re custody dispute redacted.png
    Alex woods notes re custody dispute redacted.png
    354 KB · Views: 619
Okay, thanks for your continued patience folks. Tricia will be reviewing the documents, the link provided re CPS and court docs and certain assumptions being made about KW's relationship with CPS prior to Mariah's death.

It may be a few hours before she has an opportunity to review and the thread to reopen. I encourage you to check on other cases you follow or, find a cold case that you feel may benefit from fresh eyes. We have so many to choose from. thanks, tlcya

There are always two sides to the story in any divorce, in any custody dispute. Generally, these things are contentious rather than not. AW has opted to release CPS and custody docs from the custody case between KW and AW. That may have been his prerogative but it really served to muddy the waters here at WS.

Those docs can be found in MSM HERE (they are also on some non-MSM sites but those should not be linked at WS). Some docs are handwritten and are difficult to decipher - meaning their content can be interpreted several ways. In addition, the content is allegations and not something that can be verified. Lastly, the docs concern living minor children. That means that we at WS want to try to protect those innocent children who continue to be affected by the release of these docs.

We can't unsee them, we can't unknow them. WHAT CAN WE DO?

THIS: Stop arguing over whether dad, AW, coulda shoulda done more or done differently. JUST PLAIN STOP IT. do not call any names, do not suggest that AW is somehow complicit or responsible for Mariah's death or "let her down". Those type of comments are hurtful and serve zero purposes.

RETURN TO DISCUSSING MARIAH, THE MAN WHO IS CHARGED THUS FAR IN HER CASE AND WHETHER HE WILL FACE ADDITIONAL CHARGES IN THAT REGARD AND FINALLY, WHETHER MARIAH'S MOM, KW WILL EVENTUALLY FACE CHARGES IN MARIAH'S DEATH AND DISPOSAL.

You are welcome to feel any ole way you want about CPS, AW, his fiancee, the docs release by AW, etc. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE THIS THREAD ABOUT THE PERCEIVED SHORTCOMINGS OF CPS, THE PRIOR CUSTODY DISPUTE BETWEEN MARIAH'S PARENTS OR ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE DEATH OF MARIAH WOODS AND THE FUTURE PROSECUTION OF THE PERSON OR PERSONS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT DEATH.

Thank you,

Websleuths Management

Dawn Browning of Jacksonville came early and watched organizers scurrying to put final touches around the podium. “I’m here to solely support Mariah Kay Woods due to the situation that occurred against a defenseless 3-year-old child,”

Browning was soon surrounded by hundreds of people who arrived as families from throughout Onslow County. Braving temperatures that rapidly dropped into the mid-30s as the sun faded behind the trees lining the backyard of Mariah’s home, mourners formed a deep, tight semi-circle before the stage and stood for the entire program.

Mariah’s father Alex Woods along with his fiancée Heather Craft were joined in a seating area off the left side of the stage with Mariah’s grandmother Debra Woods and her great-grandmother Donna Woods.

http://www.jdnews.com/news/20171210/hundreds-brave-cold-to-honor-memory-of-mariah-woods

It’s probably a good thing that according to the article KW wasn’t there.

Rest In Peace Mariah you will never be forgotten.

THank you for clearing that all up, Tricia and also closing the thread for most of the day. I think, hope, it has given us an opportunity to step away and decompress and realign ourselves with the primary purpose of our presence here, to figure out what happened to Mariah and why.

Dawn Browning of Jacksonville came early and watched organizers scurrying to put final touches around the podium. “I’m here to solely support Mariah Kay Woods due to the situation that occurred against a defenseless 3-year-old child,”

Browning was soon surrounded by hundreds of people who arrived as families from throughout Onslow County. Braving temperatures that rapidly dropped into the mid-30s as the sun faded behind the trees lining the backyard of Mariah’s home, mourners formed a deep, tight semi-circle before the stage and stood for the entire program.

Mariah’s father Alex Woods along with his fiancée Heather Craft were joined in a seating area off the left side of the stage with Mariah’s grandmother Debra Woods and her great-grandmother Donna Woods.

http://www.jdnews.com/news/20171210/hundreds-brave-cold-to-honor-memory-of-mariah-woods

It’s probably a good thing that according to the article KW wasn’t there.

Rest In Peace Mariah you will never be forgotten.

That's interesting that KW wasn't there. I wonder why. If there are any locals on here, can you tell us what the local opinions are of KW, if that's allowed of course, not sure.

okay peeps, thanks for your patience and to the member who sent me a link to the source of the item #2 debate. I am linking it in this post and then back to cleanup I go.

JMO take on the AW notes to the court and the allegation that the social worker and KW had a personal friendship: That is NOT how I read the document. I believe the document states that an older son of KW and AW was abused by the child of someone who KW is friends with and AW alleges in his notes that KW failed to act properly in supervising the child around other children as required for their safety. As a result of AW's concerns about that lack of supervision AW informed the social worker.

I have redacted the child in question's name.

attachment.php

That is my take on the notes. NOT that KW was friends with social worker

I apologize for any confusion, for the additional work for the mod's and for the temporary shutting of the thread as a result of my previous comments. I'd like to thank the other member(s) who provided tlcya the document links when I was offline.

Ugh, I have been away from this thread after finding out she was found deceased. I have a son close in age to her so this just hurts my heart. I am scared to find out the autopsy. She didn't deserve this and I could never ever imagine doing this to my own son or anyone doing this to my son. If they ever laid a hand on him...ugh. This world is so evil.

The closure of the thread gave me time to put together my thoughts on everything, looking at all the various angles -

In the first week of the investigation -

1. around Tuesday one of the minors told what they knew, putting both adults in the frame.

2. around Wednesday/Thursday, whenever the Sheriff said they were cooperating, based on what the minor said and pressure from LE to come clean, KW *may have* said EK caused Mariah’s death and she was coerced into going along with the disposal and abduction story through threats of violence. The reason I don’t think she *may have* laid the blame on a minor, is the body disposal under duress from EK doesn’t make sense to me in that scenario and I think she would have a hard time explaining that. I don’t believe a selfish man like EK would pressure KW with violence to protect a minor – where’s his motivation? It’ll be very interesting to see if the autopsy lines up with what KW and EK say happened to Mariah.

3. around late Friday night LE arrested EK and now that KW admitted to the disposal, he admitted disposal but denied killing Mariah. He *may have* laid the blame on a minor. He hasn’t said this happened before Sunday night because he’s *possibly* steering clear of putting KW in the frame. He gave LE a general indication as to where he put Mariah's body during interrogation on the Saturday her body was found.

If he laid the blame on a minor there could be several reasons -

i. he thinks it may be believed because the minor may have anger issues
ii he wants to discredit everything the minor has to say about EK both in the incident and prior alleged abuse.
iii. he thinks minor can’t be prosecuted because of his age
iv. he doesn’t want to point the finger at KW because she has threatened to reveal his (alleged) SA of Mariah with battered wife defence for not putting a stop to it.
v. a minor did it – which I don’t believe.

I do not believe a minor killed Mariah. I think KW’s son is telling the truth for the reasons I put in post (#210), he exposed the lie of the abduction before anyone else when he was protected by that, the parts he didn’t know (who hit her and if she was dead) he didn’t try to fill in giving credence to him being an ear witness, and I think the adults would probably have made up a lie about how it happened, called an ambulance and not disposed of her body. The body told the story that they needed to hide and it is such an extreme reaction to a child’s death that it screams self-preservation to me. I don't think EK would have involved himself in the disposal of her body if a minor caused this, if the alleged SA is true he can only be blindly selfish.

Why I believe EK acting alone did not kill Mariah -

I don’t understand KW protecting EK if he killed Mariah. I don’t understand KW instigating the disposal of Mariah’s body. Her behaviour in not helping in the recovery of her body shows she didn’t want Mariah found. If EK threatened KW with violence why would she be the one instigating the disposal and why did she not draw on the protection of LE as soon as they showed up? Her young son seems to have felt safe and been brave enough to do that, even with a bloody nose.

So I’m leaning towards an eventual charge for the death against KW, or both KW and EK.

EK agreeing to dispose of Mariah’s body -

a. he killed Mariah, or
b. KW killed Mariah and secured his participation in the cover up by threatening to reveal (alleged) SA, or
c. they’re both responsible through negligence for Mariah’s death.

Time of death -

My early suspicion that Mariah had already died before that evening, is solidified now by LE still asking for sightings of the family in the days leading up to Sunday, unsatisfied by what they’ve been told by extended family, possibly because of the autopsy results, having been given a time of occurrence of the incident by everyone in the trailer and still not accepting it, and by my theory that the minor did not hear Mariah crying and merely guessed his sister was hit for them to be wanting to get rid of her (what a shocking detail for a child to absorb about his own mom). I believe KW knew that the minor heard her saying ‘get rid of her’ and planted the idea in the head of the minor that Mariah was crying and she told EK to handle it. I am more than a little dubious of a timeline where Mariah cries, is injured and KW instantly says ‘get rid of her’. That reaction would be far too quick to happen together as described.

I'm thinking her death occurred during the night on the eve of Thanksgiving, or KW may have decided not to go to Raleigh because EK’s ex was going to be there, so she stayed behind and it occurred between Thursday and Sunday while they were gone. KW went out there on the Sunday and picked them up.

The only thing that troubles me about that timeline would be the odour of decomposition. Did she move her to the shed in a suitcase?

Grandpa believes they all came back from Raleigh including Mariah because he automatically assumes if KW was there then Mariah would be too. It might not have occurred to him to ask if Mariah was with them if he has no suspicions that her death didn’t occur that night.

What could have happened around 11pm Nov 26[SUP]th [/SUP]–

The boys were in bed. The adults argue about what to do with Mariah’s body, the minor gets up to see what it’s about, he is punched as a warning to stay out of it. EK goes out at around midnight after the boys have settled, to look for a place and wait a few hours for a time when he won’t be seen. He goes to the abandoned house, steals the dressers just because they are there and KW wants some, and then at 3am he leaves to dispose of Mariah’s body.

Cause of death –

I think it could be ingestion of drugs or toxic substance. I didn’t think this initially but I can’t think if another cause of death was apparent why there is a delay which points to awaiting toxicology results.

From what KW said, trying to sift the lies from the truth, she did appear to have a visceral memory response to describing feeding Mariah and putting her to bed, I think it’s quite possible she fed her water to try and flush out what was in her system.

The investigation -

It’s interesting that the child was able to give the Maple Hill detail early in the week but KW still didn’t help LE with what she knew. I’ll bet she was thinking hard how she could explain that. It seems they had to coax this out of EK. Everything else in the minor’s account could still be explained by her counter-story of telling EK to handle Mariah. My guess is that to shift the focus of their search, LE couldn’t rely on something the child heard but wasn’t sure of. They needed KW/EK to confirm it. I really can’t believe KW didn’t ask EK where he put her, particularly as EK must have been telling someone for the child to hear.

I think there hasn’t been charge/s laid for her death yet because the admissions aren’t matching up. Both EK and KW would have had to disclose a cause of death to have been involved in her disposal. Requests for sightings also reveals doubt about their accounts. I hope KW and EK were kept apart during that week so they couldn’t align stories as it unfolded.

There could be truth in the SA allegation against EK if he’s not dobbing KW in it.

What a mess!!

Feel free to take it apart, put forward different views. The dynamics of an investigation and the family members is what keeps my interest.

I just don't know what happened and how it happened but I think that they are both guilty. I don't know who killed her, but one of them did and they both conspired to hide her body.

How did LE find out about the stolen dressers?

It's a possibility, to explain why the child reported hearing Maple Hill, KW told LE early in the week that EK went out and stole dressers from High Hill Road.

Not that anyone cares, but I'm going to stay away from this thread until there is an arrest of KW or anyone else that caused the demise of this beautiful child. IMO, all the CPS talk and personal experiences aren't getting us anywhere. I understand talk strays when threads go cold, but I won't sift through pages of posts that have no relevance to this case.

Later.

I respect your opinion but myself, I really appreciate all the expertise of those who have shared their knowledge and information about the subject.

Not just those who work in the field, but also the personal experiences too, whether it be concerning their relatives, friends, etc. There's a wealth of knowledge here!

Granted, it may not be enjoyable to read about; I wish none of it was even necessary. Unfortunately, abuse is all around us.

Perhaps awareness and encouragement to note even the subtle signs of abuse might save one child from being the next statistic. We never know who is reading.

There's a quote that comes to mind by Edmund Burke: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I'm grateful to the people here who are trying to do their part to prevent that 'triumph of evil' being done to our precious children.

Education is the first step.

Not meaning to put down your opinion, or imply you don't share the same feelings about preventing abuse.

Just adding my own perspective...

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members