Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #9 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't someone who knew Mariah was dead also know the sighting was not credible?

Yes, I didn't mean "credible" exactly. Horribly written post.

But LE treated it as "credible" enough for further investigation at first is what I meant.

I would think a parent of a missing child would cling to hope that it was the child until proven otherwise, but who knows what panic would do. Simply saying heck no it isn't her, I'd know my child might've been fine and not have been suspicious.

RSBM

I, again, think EK looks like he was crying and base my opinion on him telling some things of evidentiary value that led to his arrest. If he claimed only to remember driving for a long time and turning left and stopping at a bridge to dump her, that statement would've led them to either/both spots. I don't know how many other bridges would fit the bill. And the 17 location is much closer, but if he did happen to go to the abandoned house that night, he may have thought or told the detectives he thought he drove all the way down high hill before turning left on 17. As opposed to down Dawson Cabin to 53 or Haws Run.

All speculation. Maybe it was forensic evidence from Quantico. Who knows. Hope guilty party/parties held accountable.

Makes you wonder how "out of it" EK was, if he really was. If he truly had difficulty remembering those important things, that worries me that he might've forgotten KW's part in it, if directly involved. Even if he failed to remember small details about KW scares me into thinking maybe that's a big part of why KW is walking free right now.

I'm not an vindictive person, but I want her to PAY in some way, because no matter how it plays out, she should be charged with something serious IMO. She could be greatly benefitting from EK's poor memory for all we know.

Originally Posted by Tortoise

I have never seen this before:

Wednesday Nov 29th

An Onslow County Sheriff’s Office crime scene investigator wearing a hazmat suit crawled underneath Mariah’s home and the home next door, but nothing was brought out from underneath.

Two law enforcement officers then walked door to door, knocking and talking to neighbors. One neighbor, Kelly Kerr, allowed agents to examine the area beneath her rental property after she and other residents in the home heard a loud sound emanating from their home late Sunday night.
“It sounded like something hitting a piece of wood real hard,”
said Kyle Bonitz, who shares the home with Kerr.

Miller said more dogs were also being added to the search but would not elaborate on what kind of dogs.

“I don’t want to go there,” Miller said.

Both the FBI and the OCSO believe the disappearance of Mariah is a “focused incident.”
http://www.arkansasnews.com/zz/news/...north-carolina

Tortoise, I don't recall seeing this before either, in such great detail. Maybe this article was "updated" to add this highlighted information that you have brought to our attention here. It sure seems like the neighbors heard a loud noise that could be consistent with Mariah's death (IMO). Something hitting a piece of wood, or something being hit with a piece of wood?

Does anyone remember reading (or hearing?) a media report to the effect that Mariah was"accidentally" hit with a door during the timeframe that she was reported missing?

Tortoise, I don't recall seeing this before either, in such great detail. Maybe this article was "updated" to add this highlighted information that you have brought to our attention here. It sure seems like the neighbors heard a loud noise that could be consistent with Mariah's death (IMO). Something hitting a piece of wood, or something being hit with a piece of wood?

Does anyone remember reading (or hearing?) a media report to the effect that Mariah was"accidentally" hit with a door during the timeframe that she was reported missing?
This is the first time i read about the noise heard from neighbours. Also not from MSM but I read about the door story as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It's not clear to me if they thought the sound came from near their own home or KW's home, because it's linked in the same sentence as them searching beneath Kerr's trailer.

I didn't hear anything about a door.

Kelly Kerr, allowed agents to examine the area beneath her rental property after she and other residents in the home heard a loud sound emanating from their home late Sunday night.
“It sounded like something hitting a piece of wood real hard,” said Kyle Bonitz, who shares the home with Kerr.

It's confusing because it reads like Kerr heard the loud sound from under her own trailer?

Kelly Kerr, allowed agents to examine the area beneath her rental property after she and other residents in the home heard a loud sound emanating from their home late Sunday night.
“It sounded like something hitting a piece of wood real hard,” said Kyle Bonitz, who shares the home with Kerr.

It's confusing because it reads like Kerr heard the loud sound from under her own trailer?

Yes, that's how I read it, it's confusing!

Seems like something THAT loud could've made a vibration if it was hitting something underneath their trailer?

JMO.

Listening to Nancy Grace recently, she brought up the idea that the choice of disposal site may have been because there were known to be alligators in that area. It made me wonder why the water.
Oh my gosh ! My stomach just turned inside out , I hadn't realized that could be a factor .

Listening to Nancy Grace recently, she brought up the idea that the choice of disposal site may have been because there were known to be alligators in that area. It made me wonder why the water.

Once again, listening to Nancy Grace on this topic, alligators aside, water can destroy DNA evidence or destroy evidence of a sexual assault. I worry that tissue damage will not be evident because of length of time in the water. Cause of death will be undetermined. Manner of death will be undetermined. Unless there's a scull fracture, or anything consistent with a beating, I just don't know. But there won't be any murder charge(s) if they can't determine how she died. And the longer we go without an autopsy report, the less likely it seems that they know. (I understand that they are still awaiting DNA/Toxicology results, so maybe I am being overly pessimistic.)

Once again, listening to Nancy Grace on this topic, alligators aside, water can destroy DNA evidence or destroy evidence of a sexual assault. I worry that tissue damage will not be evident because of length of time in the water. Cause of death will be undetermined. Manner of death will be undetermined. Unless there's a scull fracture, or anything consistent with a beating, I just don't know. But there won't be any murder charge(s) if they can't determine how she died.
By chance , are you THE Alex Woods ?

The presser where the Sheriff said that he had a long talk with a family member and wanted to bring the child back to her makes me wonder if: (the following is JMO/speculation)

1. The family member was the mother and his desire to bring Mariah back to her insinuates that he does not (or at least did not at the time) have reason to suspect the mother was involved? Thought his choice of phrasing "back to her" were quite specific vs. something more generic when you aren't sure who is or isn't involved such as "back home" which could mean anything: Jacksonville/Onslow County/Family Member/Her Community/Out of the elements or wherever she was dumped.

2. Was the family member he spoke to a female other than the mother and that is who he was referencing when he said "back to her?" Perhaps Kristy's mom/the grandmother? Would that suggest the Sheriff had reason to believe the mother was involved at that point?

3. Slip of the tongue? Meant to say him or them vs her? Not as good with wording since he wasn't using his usual notes at that point during the presser?

4. Talked with the mom and was referencing the mom when he said "her" but was playing the Good Cop role from Good Cop/Bad Cop or some other type of LE tactic thinking the mother might be watching? We believe you, we know you didn't have anything to do with this, we just want to bring Mariah back to you type of thing?

5. Talked with the mom, was referencing the mom when saying "her" but simply a choice of words that do not indicate anything about who was or wasn't involved in Mariah's disappearance or what may have actually happened.

Thoughts on the likeliness of any of these? Any ideas other than those 5 mentioned?

The presser where the Sheriff said that he had a long talk with a family member and wanted to bring the child back to her makes me wonder if: (the following is JMO/speculation)

1. The family member was the mother and his desire to bring Mariah back to her insinuates that he does not (or at least did not at the time) have reason to suspect the mother was involved? Thought his choice of phrasing "back to her" were quite specific vs. something more generic when you aren't sure who is or isn't involved such as "back home" which could mean anything: Jacksonville/Onslow County/Family Member/Her Community/Out of the elements or wherever she was dumped.

2. Was the family member he spoke to a female other than the mother and that is who he was referencing when he said "back to her?" Perhaps Kristy's mom/the grandmother? Would that suggest the Sheriff had reason to believe the mother was involved at that point?

3. Slip of the tongue? Meant to say him or them vs her? Not as good with wording since he wasn't using his usual notes at that point during the presser?

4. Talked with the mom and was referencing the mom when he said "her" but was playing the Good Cop role from Good Cop/Bad Cop or some other type of LE tactic thinking the mother might be watching? We believe you, we know you didn't have anything to do with this, we just want to bring Mariah back to you type of thing?

5. Talked with the mom, was referencing the mom when saying "her" but simply a choice of words that do not indicate anything about who was or wasn't involved in Mariah's disappearance or what may have actually happened.

Thoughts on the likeliness of any of these? Any ideas other than those 5 mentioned?

All good possibilities, Ms. Marlow! I, too, am struggling with reading between the lines. At first, I thought it was KW that he was speaking of. That maybe he had heard KW's story and a plea bargain was on the table in exchange for "the truth". I am still leaning towards this.

My second thought was that it was KW's mom. I think because after I heard of KW's Dad having some information from someone at the scene that night (in the trailer), that KW's Dad shared it with KW's Mom (grandma), and she had a long discussion with the Sheriff. KW was pulled into the discussion, and "the truth" then came out with that shared knowledge.

I just have a very strong feeling that KW will not be spending much time behind bars -- unlike EK, that's for sure.

Makes you wonder how "out of it" EK was, if he really was. If he truly had difficulty remembering those important things, that worries me that he might've forgotten KW's part in it, if directly involved. Even if he failed to remember small details about KW scares me into thinking maybe that's a big part of why KW is walking free right now.

I'm not an vindictive person, but I want her to PAY in some way, because no matter how it plays out, she should be charged with something serious IMO. She could be greatly benefitting from EK's poor memory for all we know.

Eww, I hadn't really thought about that, honestly. In my mind I was wondering if he took large amounts of drugs or alcohol to be able to go through with the macabre task at hand. Or just out of his mind with the cognitive dissonance he hopefully had to get through to do it. I guess I can't decide what theory of time or cause of death sits right with my own wild theories.

ETA: above mostly in reference to your first paragraph.

I will say I hope they get solid evidence to determine what happened and no one needs to be granted immunity to secure conviction(s).

The North Carolina Office of the Chief Medical Examiner says we could be waiting quite a while for COD and MOD and it would be considered within their normal range for processing everything. In Sherin Mathews' case it has been about 8 weeks now since her autopsy was performed and they have not released the findings, I believe in her case we were told to expect a wait of about 90 days give or take but obviously special testing could take longer.

I do not know if the FBI plays any role in the collection of evidence from the decedent in these cases as they are initially involved with any missing child case. I imagine that DNA evidence or fibers and so on may be sent from the medical examiner to the FBI to analyse, though this could be based on the capabilities of the Chief Medical Examiners lab equipment. Again, I do not know and am just speculating!

JMO

The sample testing will not delay the release of the body tothe next of kin. However, the results of such testing maytake several months to finalize, causing the manner andcause of death to be certified as “pending.” If a deathcertificate is issued with a “pending” manner and cause ofdeath, a supplemental death certificate will be issued oncetesting is completed.

http://www.ocme.dhhs.nc.gov/faq/OCME-FAQ-Pamphlet.pdf

Eww, I hadn't really thought about that, honestly. In my mind I was wondering if he took large amounts of drugs or alcohol to be able to go through with the macabre task at hand. Or just out of his mind with the cognitive dissonance he hopefully had to get through to do it. I guess I can't decide what theory of time or cause of death sits right with my own wild theories.

ETA: above mostly in reference to your first paragraph.

I will say I hope they get solid evidence to determine what happened and no one needs to be granted immunity to secure conviction(s).

As usual, I wasn't clear (lol). I was attributing his possible "memory lapses" to drug and/or alcohol abuse as well.

I haven’t been able check in the past few days and now I’m too far gone to catch up. Was anything ever decided at the custody hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa D.