Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #9 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really had thought that there would be additional charges before EK Monday court appearance but I am beginning to think that isn't gonna happen. I know it takes time and they don't wanna rush but I would think by now they know how Mariah died.

That bothers me too. Here we are almost a week past when the SO said the autopsy would be finished, but no murder charges for anyone.

Could it be the coroner did not find evidence of murder? Could it be that there was no clear cause of death and they are waiting on TOX results? Could it be that any trauma on the body could not be a clear cut case of intentional harm but could also be viewed by the coroner as accidental? Could the COD have been ruled inconclusive by the coroner?

Just seems so odd that nearly 2 weeks after this child's death all we have is an obstruction of justice and moving a dead body charge.

I really had thought that there would be additional charges before EK Monday court appearance but I am beginning to think that isn't gonna happen. I know it takes time and they don't wanna rush but I would think by now they know how Mariah died.

BBM
Same. I've told my spouse, if I die suddenly, please burn my computer with me, when they cremate me. :rolleyes: One thing about the trailer. I've lived in one before. These are older trailers too so they'd pop and crack more. They crawled under the next door trailer thinking it was more of a noise, I believe, so they'd better check the neighboring trailer out (or they heard it too but didn't want to go on record). In other words, I don't think they felt a vibration, just a noise.

I too had looked up some info and read about bodies floating face up or down. Most bodies float face down. Hence, they'd find her, face down. Sometimes a child will float face up though. I've still wondered if he put her in a container, that would submerge, they then found the container, opened it, and she was face down, in the container. I seem to remember doing some research about folks placing a body face down, or covering the body, (for the Rhoden/Gilley case). If it was someone they knew, and had cared about, iirc, they will do that. People kill other people who they care(d) about every day. There's a fine line between love and hate. I hate to go there, but, if he'd weighted her down, and she'd come to the surface, then her body was likely not in good condition. When they find bodies floating, after being weighted down, many times the hand(s), or foot, that they attached the weight to, will not be there. They also have a hard time taking into account some injuries to the facial area, arms or legs as those are normally injured by items they come in contact with, in the water. See "Ante mortem injury/ assault" in link below.

http://http://www.forensicmed.co.uk/pathology/bodies-recovered-from-water/

BBM

They may have thought the child was hiding under there.

My niece when she was 6 years old, would walk a block with the other kids carrying her lunch box to catch the school bus. Her mother watched her until she was out of sight up the block. Every thing was completely normal until one day they got a note from school for a parent teacher conference. They found out from the teacher that my niece had not been in school for a week (this was back in the 70's so no alarm went out when she wasn't in school for a week as teachers didn't really report that closely on children back then). They found out from my niece that she had been acting like she got on the bus, but in reality was coming back home and hiding under the front porch every day since she didn't like school.

No this was a case in Tulsa.

ETA: DOH! Meant to quote, didn't hit reply with quote, then could not delete. Sorry.

Leader, you might want to do something with your post since it is a different case. I was thrilled to see it, but then realized it isn't related. moo

IMO we might have seen mention of it in the latest CPS documents too. Saying KW was aware is quite different from filming etc.

I don't know how they calculate bond.

Based on what I know about cases in NC the current charges are not worthy of $1,000,000 bond. I also think the felony larceny won’t hold up as $40 dollar dressers would be misdemeanor larceny in NC. Looking at the picture of the house he allegedly stole the dressers from Breaking and Entering May be a stretch also as the house looks ramshackle enough that one wouldn’t need to break in so that could end up being reduced to entering without breaking at trial. I am not defending him just looking at the applicable laws. However, I think even if he were to get a bond reduction hearing a bond of $15,000 would be just as imopossible for him to come up with as he would need 10% to get a bail bondsman.

JMHO

ETA: Here is a link to a previous case here in NC that shows the light sentencing for mother’s and concealment of a body.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-guilty-hiding-infant-bodies-trash-bags.html

So thankful your child was ok. I have wondered about this many times as I have no personal experience with a missing child. If this is overstepping and asking too much personal info regarding your experience please just ignore my post.

Was your child missing for hours, police involved, removed from your home while they searched, media asking questions etc. I have always thought I would be hysterical a complete basket case but I do wonder if as hours went by all the activity, people asking the same questions over and over, standing on the sidelines watching but unable to search because police wont let me, along with all the worry would I become numb, would the tears stop, would I appear zoned out simply because of being scared for my child and not having answers or knowing if I would ever see them again. Of course I would want everything done to find my child and would welcome the media attention, the police I just wonder how the physical and emotional toll would affect how others perceive my actions.

Good point. The father of Susan Smith's boys was completely fooled by her performance. If he couldn't tell, then complete strangers couldn't either.

Years ago, one of my closest friends/coworker had a son and his date go missing after the senior prom. The families were frantic and everybody pitched in making missing posters, searching, etc. Parents couldn't sleep and joined the searches. One afternoon, the dad sat on the curb in front of his house just exhausted. Somebody handed him a beer and he set it next to him. The metro newspaper took a photo and it gave people the wrong impression. Local gossip was brutal and I hate to think what would have happened if the Internet had existed.

The car was eventually discovered overturned in a creek as a result of a tragic accident. More than thirty years later and the son's room is exactly as he left it. The parents' grief is still buried just below the surface.

I think as humane people, we need to withhold judgment of how other parents should act in horrific situations.

That is a HUGE stretch. I would think there would have been evidence of that in the home and EK would have that charge too, they were anxious to charge
him with anything they could come up with. On another note, the charges he is charged with, the concealing, the stealing the dressers etc.... do those charges merritt a one million dollar bond? As always everything is MOO

The search warrants are sealed but phone, data, video does take some time to be analyzed. This could be what was sent to Quantico.

I think a judge can set whatever bond he wants. Other factors such as fleeing jurisdiction, danger to possible witnesses obviously were considered.

Based on what I know about cases in NC the current charges are not worthy of $1,000,000 bond. I also think the felony larceny won’t hold up as $40 dollar dressers would be misdemeanor larceny in NC. Looking at the picture of the house he allegedly stole the dressers from Breaking and Entering May be a stretch also as the house looks ramshackle enough that one wouldn’t need to break in so that could end up being reduced to entering without breaking at trial. I am not defending him just looking at the applicable laws. However, I think even if he were to get a bond reduction hearing a bond of $15,000 would be just as imopossible for him to come up with as he would need 10% to get a bail bondsman.

JMHO

ETA: Here is a link to a previous case here in NC that shows the light sentencing for mother’s and concealment of a body.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-guilty-hiding-infant-bodies-trash-bags.html
I think I remember the judge saying something to him about a bond reduction at the first hearing, but I can't remember what. Maybe he was advising him of his rights.

That bothers me too. Here we are almost a week past when the SO said the autopsy would be finished, but no murder charges for anyone.

Could it be the coroner did not find evidence of murder? Could it be that there was no clear cause of death and they are waiting on TOX results? Could it be that any trauma on the body could not be a clear cut case of intentional harm but could also be viewed by the coroner as accidental? Could the COD have been ruled inconclusive by the coroner?

Just seems so odd that nearly 2 weeks after this child's death all we have is an obstruction of justice and moving a dead body charge.

It's not odd. It's quite common in these cases. And every time people get upset and voice fears that there's no evidence. In the meantime, LE knows exactly what it's doing. Kaytlyn Cargill is a prime and recent example.

The mom was just arrested today for permitting child abuse and 2 counts of child neglect.

www.newson6.com/story/37070660/Tulsa-mother-in-custody-in-death-of-toddler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see some of these negligent parents aren't getting away with it. I hope we see something similar here.

Leader, you might want to do something with your post since it is a different case. I was thrilled to see it, but then realized it isn't related. moo

In context it's clear to me it's about another case.

Unless I missed it somewhere and at this point I find that unlikely but out of the 4 parental figures in this case the only one without multiple arrests and no convictions is the mother. The only thing I have found for her in NC or Ky is the charge that was dismissed when the bio dad’s gf and her scuffled, and according to the documents provided by the bio dad, he had root returned the children when he was supposed to and she was attempting to get her children.

JMHO

The mom was just arrested today for permitting child abuse and 2 counts of child neglect.

www.newson6.com/story/37070660/Tulsa-mother-in-custody-in-death-of-toddler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOT Mariah's case.

In this case, there were admissions of abuse leading to death by the boyfriend of the mother. When someone admits to wrongdoing, it is a heck of a lot easier to levy charges. Here is some key information in this Tulsa, Oklahoma case:

"Dickenson's boyfriend Zachery [somebody can't spell] Collins is in jail for child abuse murder after police say he killed her 22-month-old son. Authorities say Collins admitted slamming the baby’s head into a wall, so hard it left a hole in the wall. Dickenson left the toddler and two other children in Collins' care Friday night, court documents say. Kraft said Collins admitted to growing very frustrated that the child wouldn't sleep, throwing him against the wall and punching him in the stomach."

http://www.newson6.com/story/37070660/Tuls

We have NO ADMISSIONS in Mariah's death of acts that would have caused her death.

JMHO

Right. But that indicates to me they expect to increase the charges. We have seen high bail amounts for low bail crimes in several cases where stiffer charges were expected. Can anyone help me out and think of a recent case?

I think I remember the judge saying something to him about a bond reduction at the first hearing, but I can't remember what. Maybe he was advising him of his rights.

Probably advising him that he's safer in the jail cell, by himself, lest the local citizenry take matters into their own hands (in the form of baseball bats?).

Unless I missed it somewhere and at this point I find that unlikely but out of the 4 parental figures in this case the only one without multiple arrests and no convictions is the mother. The only thing I have found for her in NC or Ky is the charge that was dismissed when the bio dad’s gf and her scuffled, and according to the documents provided by the bio dad, he had root returned the children when he was supposed to and she was attempting to get her children.

JMHO
The problem with this statement is that no one can really respond to it in defense of the non POI parents because we are not allowed to discuss what they may have been arrested for and when because we are not allowed to sleuth them on here. We are usually in sync on our thinking, but I question this post in regards to TOS because it is a discussion we aren't allowed to have, as I understand it. So it leaves us with prejudice against people who cannot be defended or discussed in this manner.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The problem with this statement is that no one can really respond to it in defense of the non POI parents because we are not allowed to discuss what they may have been arrested for and when because we are not allowed to sleuth them on here. We are usually in sync on our thinking, but I question this post in regards to TOS because it is a discussion we aren't allowed to have, as I understand it. So it leaves us with prejudice against people who cannot be defended or discussed in this manner.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Who are the "non POI parents"?

I was all WHOOOOOOOOOP then realized it's another case. I really hope to see this with KW soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa D.