Found Deceased NC - Raul Johnson, 4, Laurinburg, 24 January 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is it wrong to hope that he is not in the pond?

Jan27

A Saturday morning update from the FBI offered more clarity: “Crews will also begin to drain a pond nearby to ensure every possibility has been covered.”

“As we have stressed many times, draining a pond is not a quick process and takes a lot of coordination,” said FBI-Charlotte spokeswoman Shelley Lynch. “We greatly appreciate the landowner’s cooperation."

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article197019459.html

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

I don't know, it's hard enough to think that this 4 yr. old was walking in the cold barefoot, I think it would be unlikely another small child would be out in the cold barefoot. JMO
I couldn’t keep shoes on my daughter (or a diaper for that matter, unless duct taped on) one time I looked out of the kitchen window too see her actively involved in a snowball fight with family and neighbors barefoot. I am amazed no one ever called DSS on me with that girl!!!

Believe it or not, sometimes it is out of CPS's hands as well. Remember, some fools made laws that parents have rights and if they pass their silly courses of learning how to be a "proper mommy and daddy" again, and they behave themselves by not getting into trouble with the law during that time, and their drug tests come back clean- back the kids go to their abusive home. Blame the lawmakers that allow abusive parents rights like this. I knew of a social worker who at times, pulled her hair out from not only being overworked (and very underpaid, I might add), but she was also stressed out because no matter what she felt was the right thing to do with children like this, she had to follow the rules and guidelines and give the kids back, even if in her heart, she knew that the children shouldn't return home.

These social workers work around the clock- many of them don't get days off, and they are called out all hours of the day or night for these poor children. Believe it or not, some kids go from an abusive home with their parents to another abusive home at a foster parents. These children have psychological issues, and many times when a foster parent can't handle it at 2 am in the morning, the social worker gets called out to take the child to either a hospital for psychiatric treatment or to bring them to another foster home in the middle of the night until they can re-home them.

I was considering becoming a social worker when I was younger, until our social worker friend told me to find something else. It wasn't the lack of pay that she was leading me away from this type of work- it was the long and exhausting hours, the pain and heartache of seeing these abusive children in person, the angry parents who want to see their kid at the drop of a dime but can't because it isn't their day to see them, so the social worker gets the anger from the parents, they're put in hostile situations constantly. That doesn't include them going to the home when abuse is suspected and they have to determine whether or not the child needs to be removed- sometimes, they have to visit the child at school to find out what is really happening at home.

I feel so bad for social workers- many times, they do agree with us. Many times, their hands are tied behind their backs because of the law.
Thank you for this post! I was a social worker for 6 years before throwing in the towel and going to nursing school. Being a social worker left me bitter, exhausted and cynical at 28 years old. I was not given nearly enough training and was given sometimes up to 40 cases to supervise. I was constantly drowning in paperwork and would lay awake at night constantly feeling like I was making mistakes or not doing enough. And I was trying to pay student loans and make ends meet while making $12 an hour. All of my coworkers were doing everything they could and cared about kids first and foremost too. Sadly not one of them is still in that line of work for the same reasons I'm not.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Is it wrong to hope that he is not in the pond?

No, it's not wrong. There is always hope that he is safe and sound will be found alive soon. I hope he's not in there, either, but at the same time, I am praying that some sick monster isn't harming him, either.

At this point LE is focused on the pond, determined to discover whether a crime has been committed. The visit to the cookie neighbor is yesterday's news as well tracking Raul to a barn three miles away. They won't admit that; it's still a missing person case, but it's moved beyond that to a suspected crime scene at the pond. It's likely Raul would have succumbed to hypothermia by now if he were out there somewhere.

Yes, hypothermia or dehydration; he could have fallen from somewhere & hit his head. Who knoze? It's tense there, for everyone, I'm sure. It's tense here with every hour that passes.

A local news source actually stated the following. Might explain some of the discussion. I haven't commented on the owner of the pond, I just wanted to point out that is was published by news source article.
http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/news/13780/search-for-child-turns-to-nearby-bodies-of-water

This article has more information I haven't read before with detail.

Also from the article:
“‘We’re thankful that the family has allowed us on the property for this extended period of time,’ said Detective Sgt. Jessica Sadovnikov. ‘We hope that in the pursuit of justice and safety and what is right for the little boy, the family will continue to allow access to the farm. If they don’t we will take the next step.’” (BBM)

She is the same officer who “has dealt with the family multiple times” and “said Raul has been known to wonder the family’s property, which has several trailers, sheds and a chicken coop on it but emphasized he has never left the property before.”
http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/t...rities-search-for-missing-scotland-county-boy

So perhaps she is especially familiar with the family dynamics?

I'm not all that convinced that a child would walk 3 miles to a barn. Not that a child can walk 3 miles, but that a child would walk alone 3 miles to a barn. An 8-year old maybe, but I don't see it for a four-year old. I would imagine a 4-yr old losing their desire to be wherever they started heading off to, walking in circles for 3 miles, sitting down and crying at the side of the road until someone comes across them because the child would forget their 'need' to be at any place they intended to go in the time it would take them to walk 3 miles, and this would be a long and lonely journey for a 4-yr old to make on their own.

The M ponds are a lot closer, more like within wandering distance, but I'm still not really buying Raul walking to the more distant one at the farm.

I can see a child of 4 wandering off and maybe aiming to go somewhere that makes sense to him. Either he makes it there or he doesn't. If it's too far he sits down and cries, or he turns around and tries to retrace his footsteps and possibly goes the wrong way and ends up even more lost. Walking and crying for a while might happen. How would that not be noticed by someone?

Although some of the stories have talked about Raul wandering off, we've been told that normally his mother just has to holler and he'll come (so he can't be too far away) or he's at the cookie lady's house. There's a big difference between hollering distance/the cookie lady's house and the farm pond or a barn three miles away.

Of course, if they find him there, I am wrong, but right now I am finding it hard to get my head around it.

I hope they have searched the family's property thoroughly, all the outhouses, sheds, trailors, vehicles and whatever else is on there. .He might have come back and hid somewhere - mom said he loves to hide. There was a case where the missing boy was found on the family's property in the trunk of a vehicle. He had accidentally locked himself in and died in there while everyone was searching the surrounding area for days. Heartbreaking.

Thank you for this post! I was a social worker for 6 years before throwing in the towel and going to nursing school. Being a social worker left me bitter, exhausted and cynical at 28 years old. I was not given nearly enough training and was given sometimes up to 40 cases to supervise. I was constantly drowning in paperwork and would lay awake at night constantly feeling like I was making mistakes or not doing enough. And I was trying to pay student loans and make ends meet while making $12 an hour. All of my coworkers were doing everything they could and cared about kids first and foremost too. Sadly not one of them is still in that line of work for the same reasons I'm not.

God Bless you and thank you for helping all those children for those six years. You're an amazing person for doing it for that length of time. I hope that your profession now gives you much more peace and joy. Social work is one of the most thankless and underpaid jobs out there, and I don't mean thankless by the children- I'm talking parents, sometimes foster parents, lawyers, doctors, psychiatrists. Many many times, social workers, who know these children far better than the rest of the professionals claiming to work in the child's best interest, get looked down on by everyone and their pleas and advice about these children get ignored. I was taking courses myself toward this career path until our friend told us that every single holiday, she gets called away from her family due to emergency situations- whether she has to go to the emergency room to interview children and place them in temporary homes, or take children out of their own homes or foster homes at the insistence of LE- so many things people have no clue about and I cannot defend you wonderful, caring, and giving folks enough. You folks are the first to be blamed in cases like this, and never ever ever get any credit for saving the children from God awful abusers.

Believe it or not, sometimes it is out of CPS's hands as well. Remember, some fools made laws that parents have rights and if they pass their silly courses of learning how to be a "proper mommy and daddy" again, and they behave themselves by not getting into trouble with the law during that time, and their drug tests come back clean- back the kids go to their abusive home. Blame the lawmakers that allow abusive parents rights like this. I knew of a social worker who at times, pulled her hair out from not only being overworked (and very underpaid, I might add), but she was also stressed out because no matter what she felt was the right thing to do with children like this, she had to follow the rules and guidelines and give the kids back, even if in her heart, she knew that the children shouldn't return home.

These social workers work around the clock- many of them don't get days off, and they are called out all hours of the day or night for these poor children. Believe it or not, some kids go from an abusive home with their parents to another abusive home at a foster parents. These children have psychological issues, and many times when a foster parent can't handle it at 2 am in the morning, the social worker gets called out to take the child to either a hospital for psychiatric treatment or to bring them to another foster home in the middle of the night until they can re-home them.

I was considering becoming a social worker when I was younger, until our social worker friend told me to find something else. It wasn't the lack of pay that she was leading me away from this type of work- it was the long and exhausting hours, the pain and heartache of seeing these abusive children in person, the angry parents who want to see their kid at the drop of a dime but can't because it isn't their day to see them, so the social worker gets the anger from the parents, they're put in hostile situations constantly. That doesn't include them going to the home when abuse is suspected and they have to determine whether or not the child needs to be removed- sometimes, they have to visit the child at school to find out what is really happening at home.

I feel so bad for social workers- many times, they do agree with us. Many times, their hands are tied behind their backs because of the law.

Gotta love those mandatory parenting classes! NOT!

I couldn’t keep shoes on my daughter (or a diaper for that matter, unless duct taped on) one time I looked out of the kitchen window too see her actively involved in a snowball fight with family and neighbors barefoot. I am amazed no one ever called DSS on me with that girl!!!

Oh I had two females strippers living in my home, and all three kids hated shoes. My two adult kids go out to their cars barefoot in the freezing cold to get something, and they're in their 20's! They take after their Mom, for the shoes part, that is- I promise, I wasn't a stripper, nor did I influence mine to be strippers, haha!

I also forgot to mention all of the times you social workers have to go to court several times within the year for one child. People don't realize what a long, hard, miserable day, many without lunch or dinner, social workers have.

Jan27

Amber Alert Day 4: Crews to start draining pond near missing NC boy’s home

A Saturday morning update from the FBI offered more clarity: “Crews will also begin to drain a pond nearby to ensure every possibility has been covered.”

“As we have stressed many times, draining a pond is not a quick process and takes a lot of coordination,” said FBI-Charlotte spokeswoman Shelley Lynch. “We greatly appreciate the landowner’s cooperation.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article197019459.html

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Oh I had two females strippers living in my home, and all three kids hated shoes. My two adult kids go out to their cars barefoot in the freezing cold to get something, and they're in their 20's! They take after their Mom, for the shoes part, that is- I promise, I wasn't a stripper, nor did I influence mine to be strippers, haha!
Yeah, I’m a no shoes person myself! The stripping, I'm, gonna go ahead and blame her fathers side of the family!

Also from the article:
“‘We’re thankful that the family has allowed us on the property for this extended period of time,’ said Detective Sgt. Jessica Sadovnikov. ‘We hope that in the pursuit of justice and safety and what is right for the little boy, the family will continue to allow access to the farm. If they don’t we will take the next step.’” (BBM)

She is the same officer who “has dealt with the family multiple times” and “said Raul has been known to wonder the family’s property, which has several trailers, sheds and a chicken coop on it but emphasized he has never left the property before.”
http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/t...rities-search-for-missing-scotland-county-boy

So perhaps she is especially familiar with the family dynamics?

How can he have never left the property before if he wanders over to Cookie & Candy Lady's house every day or did I miss the part where Cookie lady is a renter on Raul's family property?

I am so heartbroken this little boy has not been found yet. I have been following this thread since the beginning, with bated breath.

Yeah, I’m a no shoes person myself! The stripping, I'm, gonna go ahead and blame her fathers side of the family!

I'm with you on the shoe thing. I never wear shoes. They are confining. Barefoot for me! People blame my D width shoe size on all the years I went barefoot.

How can he have never left the property before if he wanders over to Cookie & Candy Lady's house every day or did I miss the part where Cookie lady is a renter on Raul's family property?

Well now, that is a head scratcher. If you missed it, so did I and I am sure many more of us as well. Perhaps the reporter misquoted the officer?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aicontrolling
Back