GUILTY NC - Rev. Kent Torrey Hinkson, 71, Durham, 4 August 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.heraldsun.com/news/showcase/x1071194913/Man-accused-of-murdering-priest-appears-in-court

Matthew John Reed appeared Monday in Orange County court on a first-degree murder charge in the slaying of a Durham priest that has rocked the community. Reed bowed his head slightly as he entered in handcuffs, and told Judge Lunsford Long that he understood the charges against him. Long told him a public defender will be named to represent him.

A probable-cause hearing was set for Aug. 25 in Orange County Superior Court. He remains in the Orange County Jail without bond...

Orange County District Attorney Jim Woodall said in an email Monday he couldn't disclose how Hinkson was killed "at this time." He declined to say if he intends to seek the death penalty.

http://chapelboro.com/news/crime/suspect-murder-durham-priest-makes-1st-court-appearance/

Very little is known about Reed. His name was not found in a search of records of the North Carolina Department of Corrections.

“I’m not really sure where Mr. Reed is from,” said Woodall. “I know he’s moved around quite a bit the last few years. I think he may have given a Raleigh address, but I believe he’s been spending a lot of time in Durham.”

From WRAL: http://www.wral.com/suspect-in-durham-priest-slaying-has-first-court-appearance/13883598/

Barber, who lived near Reed in a Raleigh apartment complex, said he and his partner were nice guys who lived in the area up until a month ago.

"Here's a nice guy who is being accused of something I don't think he did," she said. "And if he did, there's definitely something else going on."

Investigators said Reed, of the 3200 block of Calumet Court in Raleigh, called authorities from Greensboro and led them to the body

Little is known about Reed, who has previously lived in Florida and Georgia. He has been convicted of burglary in Georgia and Ohio and was charged in Wake County in January with selling alcohol to a minor.

Its always a ” nice” guy/girl. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors and most acquaintances only let you see what they want you to see.

Based on this morning's update I think Island Chica may be on to something.

They canceled visitation per WRAL.

http://www.wral.com/visitation-memorial-canceled-for-murdered-durham-priest/13891403/

It says the family wants to grieve privately. He worked with the public as a minister. The public helped look for him. The public needs to grieve also.

There is something else going on here.

I'm sure LE knows the details by now. They are not saying anything out of respect I guess. They may not be release anything until it's heard in the trial. But I would think that would be unfair to others who have their business blasted all over. We could still be wrong, but I wondered from the first few days if there was more to this.

I removed some posts about speculation about the victim's intimate life. Unless there is something that comes out in MSM to support this speculation, it's off limits.

Thanks in advance for understanding. :seeya:

It's so quiet.

I find it very odd that neither the prosecutor nor the police have released anything about this case. There had been so much publicity surrounding it, so much public concern by the church, now it is complete and utter silence. How normal is this that all basic facts of a crime are kept out of the public eye until (apparently) we get to the trial?

Today is 02 Sept 2014- Matthew Reed reportedly confessed to the murder of Kent Hinkson and has an upcoming court date on 26 Sept 2014. He is charged with "Felony Murder". No other details have been given. If he confessed to the crime and led authorities to the body of Mr. Hinkson what will come next? Will there be a trial?
The public does not know if this was a random kidnapping and murder. Most of us assume he was kidnapped on 04 Aug 2014 and his death date was listed on the Hall Wynn Funeral site as 09 Aug 2014. I assume the death date was determined by an autopsy. That means he was kept alive for 4 days after the kidnapping. How scary is that?

Gresham, I find this all unnerving and strange. I wish somebody with knowledge of court proceedings and investigations would weigh in.

August 9 is when his body was found. Personally, I am happy to hear or see nothing more in the media about this. I hope the killer, since he confessed, pleads guilty and the case is done. I just don't feel the public needs any more details...just my opinion.

I do believe the public needs closure here. Many in the Durham community were horrified that a senior citizen was apparently kidnapped in broad daylight in a busy shopping area and murdered. Many felt and expressed their grief to his family and friends and others helped search. Does his death represent a new threat we have to be weary of? Is this going to become a trend? Was the murderer Reed paid by somebody to do what he did? What was his connection to The Mews apts? We do not need personal details of Mr. Hinkson's life but we do need some questions answered. Also, it is possible there was more than one person involved in this. The family may have received some sort of threat that caused them to get out of the public eye. During the time Mr Hinkson was missing, somebody had access to his keys they could make copies of. There could be a ring of thugs operating in this area preying on the elderly and gathering resources from them for future crimes.

It is important to know that the city governing officials want to protect the image of Durham and do not want the truth of some of these crimes to be known for fear it will hurt the image they are trying to project. Durham already has a well earned reputation as a sanctuary city for drug dealers. Drugs can only flourish where there is a market. Silicone Valley moved here from the West Coast and brought with it well paid employees who have dollars to spend. The drug world is much deeper than the thugs we see running amuck shooting each other in their neighborhoods.

I completely understand wanting to know whether there is a random predator stalking the elderly. I have family there, and worry about the crime. Like, there was a shoot out in the Cook Out parking lot which was barely mentioned in the media because Durham kept it quiet. That infuriates me. The public does need to know about criminal incidents that may impact others. That said, I'm not worrying about this particular crime any longer.

I get it that others want closure. Sometimes there's a fine line, IYKWIM.

I stayed there overnight last year, got sick and went to the local urgent care. They gave me meds that had to be kept cold. I had a paper grocery bag and put the meds in that, and onto a ground level deck that had side rails. In one hour my bag was gone, even though I had put it behind a chair in the corner. It was dark and cold out. I reported it to the police and he came and said "Oh well, I'll write it up so you can get refills without a problem." No checking around the building or speaking with the desk clerk. No interest. Then later I was told they don't want bad publicity. But somebody was creeping around back there.

I do understand why the police are silent. They have to try to prove what Reed is telling them. He could be lying through his teeth. I think it is odd that there is no info to be found out about him. I will never believe he just suddenly committed felony murder. There could be a string of unsolved murders across the country that he committed. I wonder why he confessed. I wonder if perhaps there is some camera evidence from the Eno Park. That is a popular place. And I wonder why he left Durham after the murder and went to Greensboro.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back