NC NC- Rosa Lee Crabtree, 68, fatally stabbed with scissors, home robbed, Rougemont, 7 Nov 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score

WRAL-TV
Rougemont Woman Stabbed With Scissors, Autopsy Confirms :: WRAL.com
''CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — An autopsy report released Wednesday reveals more about how a Durham County woman from the rural town of Rougemont died. Meanwhile, police still have no suspects in the town's first homicide in more than four decades.

Authorities say Rosa Lee Crabtree was found dead in her home in the early-morning hours of Nov. 7. A pair of scissors was found nearby.

According to the autopsy released by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Chapel Hill, Crabtree, 68, was stabbed five times in the chest, resulting in injuries to her left lung and heart.

The report also says a pair of bloody scissors was found near Crabtree's body, confirming earlier reports from neighbors that she had been stabbed with scissors.

Investigators with the Durham County Sheriff's Office believe the perpetrators' motive was robbery and that Crabtree was at her home when someone broke in and stole two televisions, a video recorder and some jewelry.

Authorities say DNA evidence recovered from the scene is still being processed, but so far it has only been able to rule out suspects in the case.

Crabtree's son, Tony Crabtree, found his mother's body inside her home on the living room floor. In late November, he told WRAL that his mother had been uncomfortable living alone in her home and that he stopped by her house every morning.

On the morning of Nov. 7, however, he said he knew something was "not right."

"When I pulled in every morning, she was always looking out the window, or at least the lights were on," Crabtree told WRAL. "That morning, the lights were not on."

Friends and neighbors described Rosa Lee Crabtree as a deeply spiritual woman who was very involved in her church and always in a good mood.

"She was one of the sweetest ladies you'd ever meet," said her pastor, Chris Hilliard. "When she came through the church doors, my children would run up to her because she always had candy to give them."

Unsolved slaying haunts Rougemont community :: WRAL.com
2015 rbbm.
''Evidence collected from the house indicates more than one person was involved, but investigators said it's likely only one stabbed the woman most locals referred to as "Miss Rosa Lee."

Investigators hope that an accomplice feels the pang of conscience and comes forward.

"Based on people's record, their previous offenses, larceny's not the worst thing in the world to be charged with," said Lt. Don Paschall of the Durham Sheriff's Office. "Homicide, your first one, is ugly."

Shortly after the incident, investigators spent $2,000 to send some evidence to a private lab for processing instead of the State Bureau of Investigation lab. The move was intended to expedite the investigation, but it hasn't yet resulted in an arrest.''

I am local to the area where this crime was committed, and I am trying to do some research on this case and hopefully focus some attention back on the case.

Authorities say DNA evidence recovered from the scene is still being processed, but so far it has only been able to rule out suspects in the case.

In 15 years DNA for crime has improved. What about using the collected DNA to find relatives that match the unknown DNA found.

In 15 years DNA for crime has improved. What about using the collected DNA to find relatives that match the unknown DNA found.

That is a great question. I feel sure that local law enforcement has followed up on that, but that is one of the questions I can ask when reaching out to them. The reason I am confident that LE is following up is that from time to time they do press releases on the case to try and gain more information, so I know that it is a cold case for them - but NOT a forgotten one!

Wondering if Ms RLC was murdered many years after her husband's death? imo.
Did RLC's job include working with arts and crafts or sewing? speculation.
Rosa Lee James Crabtree (1936-2005) - Find A...
''She worked at Burlington Mills and J.P. Stevens for 25 years as a supervisor and later retired from Crown Crafts after seven years of service.''

Wondering if Ms RLC was murdered many years after her husband's death? imo.
Did RLC's job include working with arts and crafts or sewing? speculation.
Rosa Lee James Crabtree (1936-2005) - Find A...
''She worked at Burlington Mills and J.P. Stevens for 25 years as a supervisor and later retired from Crown Crafts after seven years of service.''

No, her husband Stoney Crabtree died in 2004. She was murdered in 2005. I am not sure what her actual job titles or duties were - I would think that like many of us, they may have changed over the years. As I continue my research, I will post what I learn about her actual work.

2015 rbbm.
''Rosa Crabtree, 68, was found stabbed to death in her Rougemont home on Nov. 7, 2005. She had been stabbed five times with a pair of scissors, and a Bible was lying next to her on the living room floor, authorities said.''

''Evidence collected from the house indicates more than one person was involved, but investigators said it's likely only one stabbed the woman most locals referred to as "Miss Rosa Lee."

Investigators hope that an accomplice feels the pang of conscience and comes forward.

"Based on people's record, their previous offenses, larceny's not the worst thing in the world to be charged with," said Lt. Don Paschall of the Durham Sheriff's Office. "Homicide, your first one, is ugly."

I live near here and remember this. For the record, Rougemont is an unincorporated town in northern Durham County, about halfway between Durham and Roxboro. The thread title is a bit misleading. Chapel Hill is where the medical examiner is located and is in the next county over (Orange Co.). I'll flag this message for corrections.

ETA If you look for Rosa's obituary, it gives the exact address. It's in a farm/residential area about halfway between Roxboro Rd (US 15-501) and Orange County Speedway, about a half mile from each. November 6 was a Sunday, and the Speedway wasn't operating during the 2005 season anyway, so noise from racing was unlikely to be a factor in why nobody heard anything.

Last edited:
Shortly after the incident, investigators spent $2,000 to send some evidence to a private lab for processing instead of the State Bureau of Investigation lab. The move was intended to expedite the investigation, but it hasn't yet resulted in an arrest.''

I think this was during the period when there was a shake-up in the state DNA testing lab (SBI). So low confidence in their work at that time isn't too surprising. I hope the investigators continue to follow up on this evidence. But it sounds more like they're counting on an accomplice to roll on their partner(s).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back