NC - Shaniya Davis, 5, 11/10/09 TRIAL THREAD

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
shaniya-davis-in-car.jpg

Rest in peace, sweetheart.

Oh, TheCheese, thank you for this picture of perfect beauty, perfect creation, and now a perfect eternal life for this young angel.

This is my favorite picture of sweet Shaniya -- I try not to dwell too much on physical appearance, but just look at her: Perfect complexion, perfect almond eyes, perfect nose, eyebrows, cheekbones, mouth, teeth, and ears. Elizabeth Taylor was a beautiful child along with Halle Berry, and maybe a couple more, but Shaniya is right up there with them. Her pictures took my breath away the first time I saw them, and I guess it will always be that way for me.

I guess she was too perfect for those of us on earth...

This jury meant business from the very start. They were great.

You said it, Kimberlyd! Thinking about this whole case still makes my chest tighten up -- but they did their duty, and I think they will all sleep well tonight.

I believe MAM wanted the DP too, just because he'd be in solitary from now on, because his torture and probable death in gen-pop would be a million times worse then drifting off to sleep on some good drugs.

My thoughts exactly, starry1. I'm not sure how many days he would survive gen-pop without major injuries -- and he knows it.

He'll be fine up there on "the row" wearing his RED jump suit.
icon10.gif

The article made me weep. Especially the part about the judge apologizing to Shaniya's family.

It isnt justice. Not even close. My heart also bleeds for MAM's family. When do you ever look at your beautiful baby and anticipate a day like this?

AD, you are next. It is likely the jury will be even angrier with you.
Right there with you, believe09. Cried my eyes out for Shaniya all over again.
I, too, have been thinking of MM's family and their heartbreak over who he has become.
There is two families that are paying for what MM did. Sweet Shaniya's and MM's.

Mitigating factors, which McNeill had allowed his lawyers to compile but not present, included his use of drugs and alcohol at the time of Shaniya's kidnapping and death, the fact that he voluntarily went to the police to be interviewed after Shaniya was reported missing, and his relationship with his own children.

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2013/05/29/1259879?sac=fo.home

Apparently those were to have been the mitigators that were not presented after all.
Somewhere along the way I missed that MM had children. To me this makes what he did even more horrendous.

MOO

An ancient Japanese legend says that a person who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish. I wonder if that's what MAM is doing, and what his wish will be?

Thank God! This was a just verdict.

GB Shaniya's family!

I will always remember you, Shaniya, and love you always.

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2013/05/29/1259879?sac=fo.home
Jury sentences Mario McNeill to death for the murder of Shaniya Davis
Jurors on Wednesday took 39 minutes to recommend that Mario McNeill be sentenced to death for killing 5-year-old Shaniya Davis in November 2009.
A few "Amens" could be heard from the side of the courtroom where members of Shaniya's family were seated.
Senior Resident Superior Court Judge Jim Ammons didn't waste time after sentencing the defendant. May God have mercy on your soul, he told him.

Only one juror - alternate Melanie Baker, 42 - agreed to talk to reporters. Baker is a first-grade teacher whose students are about the age Shaniya was when her body was found off Walker Road in Lee County on Nov. 16, 2009.
"This has been hard," she said.
But the jury was convinced of McNeill's guilt once the state had presented a strong case that left no question in their minds, Baker said.
McNeill may have been his own worst enemy in court, she said.
"Throughout the proceedings," she said, "we felt this was a game for him. Refusing to put on evidence and deciding not to testify. ... There was no emotion on his face. All his laughing, giggling. There was no contrition or remorse."

http://www.wnct.com/story/22446652/sentencing-phase-resumes-in-mcneill-trial
McNeill sentenced to death for murder of Shaniya Davis
A man convicted of murder in the death of a 5-year-old girl has been sentenced to death -- a sentence that has not been handed down in North Carolina since 2011.
Video...

Thank goodness this was a proper verdict - even if it took years! My cousin testified at the trial (so proud of her), and we've been messaging back and forth. She so badly hoped this would be the verdict!

The state called Deana Smith, a latent print examiner for the Fayetteville Police Department, who photographed items from the Galant, McNeill's car. Smith said she had noticed some white stains on the front pants legs of the jeans.

Even though she kept saying she didn't "do much", I told her, oh yes you did! You helped put a monster away for the rest of his life.

Moo

Mel

When does AD's trial start?

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2013/05/30/1260003?sac=fo.local
Bradley Lockhart, Shaniya Davis' father, reflects on Mario McNeill trial and verdict
Bradley Lockhart said he found no closure, no reason to celebrate Wednesday following the jury's verdict of death for the convicted killer of his daughter, Shaniya Davis.
But at least, he said, he and his family have some answers.
And, he added, those answers bring some comfort.

this article also said that Antoniette Davis's trial could begin in the fall.

Right there with you, believe09. Cried my eyes out for Shaniya all over again.
I, too, have been thinking of MM's family and their heartbreak over who he has become.
There is two families that are paying for what MM did. Sweet Shaniya's and MM's.

Somewhere along the way I missed that MM had children. To me this makes what he did even more horrendous.

MOO
I feel sorry for his children as well, that hit me as soon as I found out the death sentence, but in all honesty, a man that would do that to the little angel, well his own children might be safer without him, and his GF or wife, seriously had a cheater to begin with, a coked up cheater at that, now his Mom I do feel really bad for her :(

Don't go down the family blaming road. We know who did this - MAM and AD. Done.

There will be no tolerance for trying to place the blame at the family's doorstep. We all make mistakes, believe things we shouldn't, and try hard to do our best.

Salem

Just bumping.

Thank goodness this was a proper verdict - even if it took years! My cousin testified at the trial (so proud of her), and we've been messaging back and forth. She so badly hoped this would be the verdict!

The state called Deana Smith, a latent print examiner for the Fayetteville Police Department, who photographed items from the Galant, McNeill's car. Smith said she had noticed some white stains on the front pants legs of the jeans.

Even though she kept saying she didn't "do much", I told her, oh yes you did! You helped put a monster away for the rest of his life.

Moo

Mel

Tell Cuz we said "Thank You!!!!!" and good job!!!!!!!!!! <3

A Victory for Shania!

How have I been so busy that I missed that this trial was going on? Was it was posted on WS home page? Still, I may have missed it...

But I caught wind of it today, and rushed here.

First - thanks to all of you for following and reporting via posting - I will be going back to read the whole thread.

Second - thanks to the jury for their clear verdict and decisions. IMO, nothing can mitigate this monster's actions, and it seems right then that nothing should mitigate his punishment under the law.

Third - Blessings and Prayers for Sweet Shaniya. You lived your short life with one foot in a princess slipper, and one foot bare and wading in squalor. So precious, ,yet so easily discarded. You and your tragic life story will not soon be forgottten. Nor will we forget that she who had the highest duty to protect and love her baby, chose to turn her back and betray her. She still needs to answer for throwing your life away.

Finally - Condolences and more Prayers for Strength - for those in Shaniya's life that loved and cared for her as they continue to wait for this child's justice to be served.

:praying:

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2013/05/30/1260282?sac=fo.local
Kirby: Jury gives Shaniya justice
She burst through the double doors, adjacent from the courtroom where Mario Andrette McNeill had less than an hour prior been sentenced to death.
"I'm sick!" the juror, fraught with emotion, said. "No comment! It's terrible! My nerves are shot!"
She, along with 11 other jurors and four alternates, had sat through eight weeks of testimony before convicting the 33-year-old drug dealer last week in the kidnapping, sexual

I can not imagine being on that jury.

I can not imagine being on that jury.

Neither can I my dear friend. I'm pretty certain I would be disqualified immediately, being opposed to the death penalty. Anyways, I am glad we won't have to ever see this <Mod Snip> again.

<Mod Snip>

Thank goodness the monster got death he doesn't deserve to live. I'm so pleased Shaniya's family got the best verdict possible and that he will harm no more children ever again.

I feel very sorry for MAM's children as well I can't imagine knowing your father committed such a horrific act. I hope they can live their lives as best they can and try to forget their father.

God bless the jurors it must have been very traumatic for them I hope that despite seeing and hearing the terrible evidence they can move forward knowing they did their best for Shaniya.

Shaniya I hope you rest and peace and know nobody will hurt you ever again. We won't forget you.

I will keep on the lookout for the next trial later in the year.

Have a good weekend everyone and thank you for caring about Shaniya.

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2013/05/31/1260186?sac=fo.local
Bills advancing in General Assembly make execution more likely for Mario McNeill
Mario McNeill's sentence this week for killing 5-year-old Shaniya Davis landed him on a long list of North Carolina's death row inmates who haven't faced the prospect of execution in nearly seven years.
But legislation moving through the Republican-controlled General Assembly is making it more likely that McNeill and other condemned inmates will face the ultimate punishment.
Even if executions resume in the state, it would likely be years before McNeill is put to death.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl
Back