Found Deceased NC - Stephanie Mayorga, 27, & Paige Escalera, 25, Wilmington, 15 Apr 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Perhaps people are referring to the Riverfront Weddings sign at that very intersection. Is it possible they hit the concrete wall/sign on the right. But if so wouldn't there be some sign of a collision?

View attachment 245799
From what I read, the person that called 911 said they “possibly hit” not definitely hit. They were watched in their rear view so I think that tidbit is likely false recall.

according to Grays YouTube video, Stevie said Paige was the passenger. So, it can be assumed that Stephan was the driver.
How do we know that this part is true? Just curious. I saw the same video but not sure how this was confirmed (at the current moment unless it was clothing and not published anywhere).

Perhaps people are referring to the Riverfront Weddings sign at that very intersection. Is it possible they hit the concrete wall/sign on the right. But if so wouldn't there be some sign of a collision?

View attachment 245799
IMO, looking at pics, where the Riverfront Wedding sign is in the pic is also where the car went into the woods. But i dont see the sign in any pics. Someone look too.

IMO, looking at pics, where the Riverfront Wedding sign is in the pic is also where the car went into the woods. But i dont see the sign in any pics. Someone look too.
I’ll go look, too, but I feel like the pics that show the tire marks in the dirt and bushes and where people were standing made it look more like they went into the woods a little further back towards the marina and not right there at the corner. Like they went across river road a touch straighter down the drive of the marina.

Ok my view of google and the pics that were posted on Star News is that the car went off the road after approximately the third palm tree down the driveway. That would have them missing that sign all together

I’ll go look, too, but I feel like the pics that show the tire marks in the dirt and bushes and where people were standing made it look more like they went into the woods a little further back towards the marina and not right there at the corner. Like they went across river road a touch straighter down the drive of the marina.
I went back and looked and I think you are right. Crash site appears to be down the hill from the stop sign. And if the wedding sign had been hit, that would have been spotted the night of the 15th

Yeah that is still one of my questions because I feel like driving, even late and no traffic, from Kerr to River Road is obnoxious at best but more like a pain in the *advertiser censored*. Why were they there? One of the things I read/watched said maybe because it is also a wedding venue but there’s a bajillion of those here.
Public Records show an old address for SNM that is about 4 miles from the River Rd/Independence Rd intersection but it's out of the way to go that way from the K*D mart. Just thinking if she had just moved could they possibly been going back to get something left. But again, out of the way, looking at googlemaps

I went back and looked and I think you are right. Crash site appears to be down the hill from the stop sign. And if the wedding sign had been hit, that would have been spotted the night of the 15th
Yeah so maybe responders just didn’t look far enough back that night... but that wouldn’t have been too far from wherever the other driver thought they saw the car go. :-(

Public Records show an old address for SNM that is about 4 miles from the River Rd/Independence Rd intersection but it's out of the way to go that way from the K*D mart. Just thinking if she had just moved could they possibly been going back to get something left. But again, out of the way, looking at googlemaps
It just seems an odd direction to drive. Maybe it’s because I’ve only been here a few years and I find a lot of the roads obnoxious but there’s nothing back there. Not of use anyway. I live in leland and it feels like “hey let’s joy ride to Leland!” Like nooooo why would you do that? But maybe they were out driving around, meant to do like a loop on Oleander and back to college and home again and ended up on Independence talking/arguing/singing to music or whatever and just stayed on it losing track of time and location? There’s a couple of lights but maybe they were all green and they just kept cruising along?

'Cruising' at 100 mph, though? That's 160 kmph. I'm just finding it hard to wrap my head around that amount of speed as being normal or accidental.
I just mean cruising in terms of getting from the Kerr area to where they were found because driving that way at that time of night makes no sense to me. I got nothing on the 100mph part.

Ok my view of google and the pics that were posted on Star News is that the car went off the road after approximately the third palm tree down the driveway. That would have them missing that sign all together
The tire tracks in those pictures look to me like they are not a possible path for a car going at a very high speed down Independence- those tracks look way too angled to the left. I would think those are likely the tracks of the flatbed or whatever was used to pull the car out of the wetland area, & that the car possibly went in closer to the area of the "Riverfront Weddings" sign.

The tire tracks in those pictures look to me like they are not a possible path for a car going at a very high speed down Independence- those tracks look way too angled to the left. I would think those are likely the tracks of the flatbed or whatever was used to pull the car out of the wetland area, & that the car possibly went in closer to the area of the "Riverfront Weddings" sign.
maybe? But the area of that sign isn’t taped off. If they thought it went into the marsh that way I would think they would have that area taped off, too.

maybe? But the area of that sign isn’t taped off. If they thought it went into the marsh that way I would think they would have that area taped off, too.
That's true, though I still can't see how those sharply angled tracks in the pics here could possibly be the tracks of their car- there would be serious skid marks on the pavement, at least, & the car might've even flipped over in the area of the marina driveway if it had swerved that sharply:
Photos: Police investigate bodies found off River Road

Last edited:
That's true, though I still can't see how those sharply angled tracks in the pics here could possibly be the tracks of their car- there would be serious skid marks at least on the pavement, at least, or the car would've flipped over in the area of the marina driveway:
The tracks on the ground I think have to mostly be new. I don’t know if you live around here but we’ve had some gnarly storms (one is brewing now and it poured last night, too) the last 60 days. That would have washed away and smoothed the dirt. Now those bushes aren’t flat enough to be explained by the flat back pulling the car out. The other thing is this “under a layer of vegetation”. We’ve had plenty of rain and sun to grow things... but why the heck does the car look so clean if it’s been there in the muck for 3 weeks?

That's true, though I still can't see how those sharply angled tracks in the pics here could possibly be the tracks of their car- there would be serious skid marks on the pavement, at least, & the car might've even flipped over in the area of the marina driveway if it had swerved that sharply:
tire tracks are from the rollback tow truck that pulled vehicle out, supposedly

The tracks on the ground I think have to mostly be new. I don’t know if you live around here but we’ve had some gnarly storms (one is brewing now and it poured last night, too) the last 60 days. That would have washed away and smoothed the dirt. Now those bushes aren’t flat enough to be explained by the flat back pulling the car out. The other thing is this “under a layer of vegetation”. We’ve had plenty of rain and sun to grow things... but why the heck does the car look so clean if it’s been there in the muck for 3 weeks?
Thanks for insight on the tracks & local weather. & not sure what to say about the car looking that clean; that does seem a bit odd.

'Cruising' at 100 mph, though? That's 160 kmph. I'm just finding it hard to wrap my head around that amount of speed as being normal or accidental.
How do we know they were going 100 mph? Is that just a guess from LE or from the witnesses that were in the car in front of them, looking through their rear view mirror? How would anyone know how fast they were going? Doesn’t look like that much damage to the car if they were really going 100 mph. MOO

Thanks for insight on the tracks & local weather. & not sure what to say about the car looking that clean; that does seem a bit odd.
Because my vehicles that have been parked on concrete and seldom driven but maybe a mile once a week with this whole quarantine thing are dirtier than that.
How do we know they were going 100 mph? Is that just a guess from LE or from the witnesses that were in the car in front of them, looking through their rear view mirror? How would anyone know how fast they were going? Doesn’t look like that much damage to the car if they were really going 100 mph. MOO
i think Just the 911 call(s) which i Just watched a Facebook live video and someone is trying to get their hands on them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back