Found Deceased NC - Stephanie Mayorga, 27, & Paige Escalera, 25, Wilmington, 15 Apr 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The nerve of the officer saying, " and we are searching for a phantom car"!!!! These ladies could have been saved :(

With all due respect, these ladies hit a tree at over 100 miles an hour. The chances that the police could have done anything for them even if they were found immediately are extremely low. Plus the police got confusing information from the witness, and from the images of the scene, it appears it was almost impossible to see the car. And given that the above article shows that the police had an extremely busy and difficult night, I understand that officer's frustration.

IMO the police acted correctly in this case. The family is hurting, but the fact that they are baiting for a law suit against the police does not sit well with me.

With all due respect, these ladies hit a tree at over 100 miles an hour. The chances that the police could have done anything for them even if they were found immediately are extremely low. Plus the police got confusing information from the witness, and from the images of the scene, it appears it was almost impossible to see the car. And given that the above article shows that the police had an extremely busy and difficult night, I understand that officer's frustration.

IMO the police acted correctly in this case. The family is hurting, but the fact that they are baiting for a law suit against the police does not sit well with me.
I agree the girls,sadly, were deceased when the car landed. I dont think the box truck driver gave confusing information. He told dispatch and officer "300" the car went into the tree line. On bodycam video you can see the officer moving his spotlight looking along the area. Where it all went wrong was when no followup the next morning happened. Also when there was no investigator assigned to the missing adult females case when reported especially when it appears they vanished under strange circumstances.
Lastly, the one thing that bothers me still is all the love expressed to these 2 girls but as far as we know, no one but the roommate reported them missing and that was a few days later.

I agree the girls,sadly, were deceased when the car landed. I dont think the box truck driver gave confusing information. He told dispatch and officer "300" the car went into the tree line. On bodycam video you can see the officer moving his spotlight looking along the area. Where it all went wrong was when no followup the next morning happened. Also when there was no investigator assigned to the missing adult females case when reported especially when it appears they vanished under strange circumstances.
Lastly, the one thing that bothers me still is all the love expressed to these 2 girls but as far as we know, no one but the roommate reported them missing and that was a few days later.

I agree, 100 MPH + a tree is not survivable; since they plunged into a bog nearly covering the car with murky water, they probably also had water in their lungs and drowned if not already dead from massive chest and head injuries.

Think of Princess Diana, who's driver hit the pillar dead on and her aorta was ripped and she repeatedly went into cardiac arrest. Then add being submerged in water for however long it took the police to arrive at the scene. If they were still alive after hitting the tree and bouncing off of it, could they have survived being submerged in water nearly covering the roof for at least 5-10 minutes or however long it took for police to arrive?

The "wall" that they supposedly hit per the witness (assuming he meant the physical wall, not a wall of trees) was on the opposite side of the road; not even that witness could figure out the path of the car or see a path of destruction as he stayed with police and rescue when they arrived.

For what it is worth, I knew someone that survived driving 100 mph into a tree. This happened a couple years ago and was also off River rd. He was able to walk out of the vehicle somehow. It was a head-on collision and the car was totaled.

I am also not seeing any definite evidence that they died on impact. Articles are saying, "The cause of death for both women has been ruled the result of traumatic head and chest injuries sustained in the crash." If it said dead on impact of crash then I would feel differently. This is only my opinion so please be kind.

This case is very unfortunate because there was hope. A caller acted immediately, the roommate mistakenly thought they had to wait 72 hours to file a missing report, the dots weren't connected until weeks later. All unfortuate.

It is also of note that since the covid-19 closings and stay-at-home orders there seems to be an increase in 'driving while impaired' arrests in Wilmington.

For what it is worth, I knew someone that survived driving 100 mph into a tree. This happened a couple years ago and was also off River rd. He was able to walk out of the vehicle somehow. It was a head-on collision and the car was totaled.

I am also not seeing any definite evidence that they died on impact. Articles are saying, "The cause of death for both women has been ruled the result of traumatic head and chest injuries sustained in the crash." If it said dead on impact of crash then I would feel differently. This is only my opinion so please be kind.

This case is very unfortunate because there was hope. A caller acted immediately, the roommate mistakenly thought they had to wait 72 hours to file a missing report, the dots weren't connected until weeks later. All unfortuate.

It is also of note that since the covid-19 closings and stay-at-home orders there seems to be an increase in 'driving while impaired' arrests in Wilmington.
I think the roommate took so long to report them missing because she didn't know their last names. This case was very unfortunate from the start. The accident could have been prevented, not by the police or the roommate though.

If your friend walked away, he didn't have traumatic head and chest injuries.

If your friend walked away, he didn't have traumatic head and chest injuries.
He died later that day due to other causes, but he survived the car crash. I don't remember what injuries he sustained from the crash itself. All I know is he was able to walk. There was speculation of head injuries if I remember correctly.

It seems that in this case, due diligence would not have significantly changed the outcome other than to have saved loved ones weeks of not knowing. However that does not excuse the lack of basic police work on the case. If investigation procedures don't improve in this police department it's only a matter of time until lives that could have been saved are not.

I also know a person who survived-walked away from a horrific car crash that he shouldn't have with no obvious serious injury, only to succumb to undetected head injury a few days later. He just didn't wake up one morning.
Yes, it can be possible to survive a crash in 100 mph, but someone who does that would most likely have been wearing a seat belt. There were a similar crash here in Sweden three weeks ago, where a young driver were driving too fast, the car went outside the road and the driver couldn't get it back, and crashed into trees. There were six teens in the car, the 19-year-old driver, and a 14-year-old girl (probably sitting in the front seat) survived, while the four 16-year-old boys in the back seat died immediately in the crash, probably not wearing seat belts (only three seat belts in the back seat). The driver is still in ICU, sedated, after three weeks, while the girl is awake, but in hospital with injuries to the head, columna, broken pelvis, fractures to the legs, as well as internal injuries to the spleen and liver. Also in this accident the speed was about 100 mph, but an other driver saw the accident and could call ambulance and police, and the girls survived, but not without serious/life threatening injuries, while the boys in the back seat died.
Fyra pojkar dog i kraschen – bilen körde i 150 km/tim
Bilen färdades i 160 km/h – polisens bild börjar klarna

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member